May

Update: Banuelos’ sore elbow not considered serious

5:01pm: Via Norris, Banuelos did go for an MRI and it came back clean. It’s more of a “tired arm” than actual soreness, apparently.

2:30pm: Via Josh Norris, left-hander Manny Banuelos was placed on the Triple-A disabled list for precautionary reasons and his sore left elbow is not considered serious. Banuelos and Eduardo Nunez (sore thumb) both hit the shelf just yesterday. It’s been a pretty brutal season for pitching injuries, so this is welcome news. Hopefully it remains nothing serious and Manny can get back on the mound relatively soon.

Categories : Asides, Injuries, Minors

1. Cris Pengiucci says:

Good to hear, but hope this isn’t one of those things that gets serious as he’s about to come off the DL. Would love for him to pick up where he left off after his first DL stint. Then, contribute to the starting rotation next season. Although I guess I’d be willing to give him up in a deal for Hamels.

• Robert says:

Why trade ManBan when you can just get Hamels in the off season?

• FIPster Doofus says:

This reminds me of 2010 when people were asking, “Why give up assets for Cliff Lee when you can sign him in the offseason?”

• Cris Pengiucci says:

There are no guarantees he’s even available in a trade. If he is and I could control the trade scenario, it would include a negotiating period to extend Hamels. He’s one of the few players I can see giving up Banuelos for, especially if he comes back as strong as his 2 starts after his previous DL trip.

/prospecthugging’d

• RI$P FTW says:

You would have been happy with giving up Montero for a few months of Lee?

• Mike Axisa says:

If he helped them win the World Series, absolutely.

Also, Banuelos isn’t the caliber of prospect Montero was.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oof. Couldn’t disagree more. He would have needed to signed an extension before I signed off on that, and that’s in retrospect.

Of course, the Yankees have never asked me to sign off on anything other than a store credit card receipt.

2. Kevin Winters says:

*wipes forward*

3. Jesse says:

Good to hear. Hopefully he’ll miss only 1 or 2 starts. Fingers crossed.

4. Mike Myers says:

the 3 Bs are now 1.2 Bs

5. JohnC says:

That is good news. Also, latest word on Campos is that he is still shutdown with inflammation and that he will start throwing in a few weeks, according to Mark newman via PP interview. He said that to say the elbow is ‘completely clean’ would be incorrect but to say the TJ surgery is on the horizon is also incorrect

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

….then what are these two elbows I just found on the side of the Garden State Parkway?

7. pat says:

Just like Pineda’s shoulder.

8. The Machine says:

It would be good news, except now he’ll probably be crushed in some sort of industrial accident.

#curseofoh12!

9. LiterallyFigurative says:

“Banuelos’ sore elbow not considered serious.”

You know what that means….

DOOOOOOM.ED!!!!!

10. Jose M. Vazquez.. says:

I would imagine that he had an MRI to be sure that it is not serious. Sometimes you may need one with contrast as was done with Pineda. I expected The ManBan to contribute this season and hope not to be let down.

• Gonzo says:

I wouldn’t be so sure that they did an MRI let alone one with contrast. They didn’t with Hughes last year until he had persistent problems.

• jjyank says:

When all the Pineda stuff went down, weren’t people saying that the dye contrast stuff isn’t exactly healthy and even potentially dangerous, so they only do the more invasive MRI if it’s really necessary?

I’m no doctor, but I remember posting links about that when everyone freaked out that Pineda didn’t get a dye contrast MRI in his initial physical. I do know that doctors do not want to do anything more invasive than they have to, so if Banuelos had an MRI, I doubt they would/could do a dye contrast right off the bat.

• Jose M. Vazquez.. says:

I should add that MRIs are more expensive than CT scans and MRIs with contrast even more expensive. The only thing is that the radiation you get in a CT scan can cause problems later in life. Cost should be no problem for a team like the Yankees.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Agree with everything you’re saying here, Jose. What you’re seeing are the aftershocks of pople dissappointed with how the Pineda situation went.

11. TheOneWhoKnocks says:

rather than let him exacerbate the injury like they did with Pineda, why not just get the contrast MRI done now?

12. jjyank says:

Here is something. I could be more thorough and find a medical website, but news isn’t bad. I doubt doctors want to be throwing the dye contrast MRI around on everybody that has arm soreness.

13. Jose M. Vazquez.. says:

I should not have made that comment about the MRI. However, to clarify the situation, it is the Radiologist who says whether or not you need contrast. This occurs when they see a lesion or injury that needs to be better elucidated.

14. M&M Boys says:

How can Banuelos have a tired arm? He’s barely pitched this season — on the DL twice already and a pitch count/innings limit when he does manage to get on the mound.

As an aside, I’m not sure how young pitchers are supposed to improve and build stamina by not throwing. The logic escapes me. Protect against injury? Um…don’t think so.