Jun

Kuroda silences White Sox as lefty bats hammer Peavy in win

Source: FanGraphs

The first two games of this four-game series against the White Sox were rough for similar yet different reasons, but the Yankees got back into the win column with a rather convincing shutout victory on Saturday afternoon. Let’s recap…

• KU! RO! DA!: Hiroki Kuroda is singlehandedly smashing every stereotype about NL pitchers, Japanese pitchers, older pitchers … you name it. His latest gem featured seven shutout innings against the White Sox on Saturday, with just five baserunners — three in the first inning — and 11 strikeouts. That’s a new season high, ditto his 22 (!) swings and misses. Kuroda now owns the ninth best ERA (3.17) in the AL (min. 80 IP) and second best in the AL East (David Price at 2.92). He was everything the Yankees needed and more in this game.
  • Lefty Power: Jake Peavy is a pretty good pitcher, but he’s also a pitcher with a sizable platoon split. New York’s left-handed batters took advantage of that by going 8-for-21 (.381) with a double (Dewayne Wise) and three solo homers (Curtis Granderson, Robinson Cano, and Wise). The right-handed bats countered by going 0-for-10 with five strikeouts. Peavy threw an eight-inning complete game with 11 strikeouts and no walks, but the Yankees made him pay when he made a mistake by hitting the ball out of the park. Gotta do that against good pitchers. Where have I heard that before?
  • Bullpen: David Robertson rebounded from Wednesday’s blown save with an uncharacteristically efficient 1-2-3 eighth inning (12 pitches), so that was good to see. Boone Logan walked Adam Dunn — Dunn’s sixth walk of the series — before Rafael Soriano bailed him out with a double play. Seven up, six down. Much better than Friday’s pitching nightmare.
  • Leftovers: Cano just missed a second homer — technically it would have been his first of day — by lining a ball down the line and watching it sail just foul by no more than a foot … Wise went 3-for-3 and was a triple away from the cycle, and he’s now 7-for-11 (.636) with a double, a triple, and two homers on the homestand … that’s pretty much it. Pretty quick (2:25) and uneventful game outside of the dingers.

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs the nerd score, and ESPN the updated standings. The Yankees will go for the series split on Sunday afternoon when Phil Hughes gets the ball against Gavin Floyd, but first they’ll celebrate their history will Old Timers’ Day. The festivities starts at 11am ET, so remember to set your alarm and check RAB Tickets for last-minute deals.

Categories : Game Stories

1. 28 this year says:

I like the WPA graph.

2. Jo3momz says:

It was a wonderful game and I even won an autographed Phil Hughes baseball! I loved my day! :-)

3. Jo3momz says:

4. forensic says:

Most here won’t like it since many seem to think these players are robots with no human emotions involved, but Robertson still looks like a bit of a different pitcher in the 8th inning vs. the 9th.

Of course he’s got the stuff and can succeed in the 9th inning over time, it just seems like he may still be working on the transition and the mindset to block out somewhat different emotions.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I actually agree, and I’m normally a big time “just the stats” guy. I remember him even saying it when Mo went down…the ninth inning intimidates him.

Is it ridiculous? Maybe, but ballplayers seem to really be affected by this 9th inning fear. I don’t discount it anymore.

• FIPster Doofus says:

When did Robertson say the ninth inning intimidated him? All I remember is him saying he didn’t know how he would fare as a closer because he had never done it before.

• jim p says:

I think he did say the 9th inning was truly different, higher pressure, after he got his first save appearance. And then something appropriately humble. But I don’t remember that he said anything about not being up to doing it.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Yep.

I never said that Robertson said he wouldn’t be up to doing it…that would be stupid beyond belief, and he doesn’t believe it anyway. Just that the 9th inning is higher pressure.

• forensic says:

Yeah, he’s even said things in past years when he’s gotten his random save chances about how it’s a totally different thing and he doesn’t know how Mo does it so easily everyday. That might’ve been last year, but I’m not positive.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It was a very short sample. It was right before the injury. I would have loved to have seen what D-Rob as stopper would have looked like after a couple of months.

That being said, things have turned out well.

• BK2ATL says:

I think he just needed to start the 9th inning on Thursday night, rather trying to come in after the damage had been started. That was additional pressure for a non-closer. There was no real reason for Girardi to play games (Eppley & Rapada in the 9th, really???) then bring in D-Rob.

He seems to do better when he starts an inning anyways, but then he does the Superman thing as well. I don’t think you can plan for that (Superman act) in the 9th with him.

Yeah, there might be something mental to it, but Girardi can’t expect D-Rob to be Mariano, to bail him out. D-Rob did make mention of it before. You gotta respect it. Soriano is the closer for this reason. He’s been an experienced MLB closer before. It’s a different beast.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

No, I think it’s pretty much agreed that D-Rob should have started that 9th inning. Intimidating or not, it really didn’t make sense to put in Rapada first when you have one of your two best relief pitchers available.

• jjyank says:

I don’t believe that it’s an 8th vs. 9th. inning thing, but I do think there is something to say about the pressure of replacing Mo so soon after his injury. There was Wednesday too, but he didn’t create that mess, he just didn’t clean it up properly.

5. BK2ATL says:

It was great to watch Hirok dealing. In total command all day. His game of the year. I hope he keeps it up. We’ll really need it.

While I don’t think he was intentionally throwing at Youklis, then follow up with the very wild pitch to Dunn, it was great to see a Yankees’ starter drill an opposing batter after Jeter was drilled following Wise’s HR. Water under the bridge, but earned some more points with me.

Who’s this version of Dewayne Wise??? I’m liking it. Hitting HRs, stealing bases, playing decent defense.

At some point we’ll need to give Grandy some credit for starting the offensive barrage. If only Jeter can get back into the early season groove….

Cano is in fuego!!!!

We’ll need Tex and A-Rod to pick it up. I’m liking what Swisher’s doing behind them. Ibanez is ice cold. Martin even worse.

Nice win, all in all today.

6. Karl Krawfid says:

6.5 back up on Boston.

• forensic says:

It’s really nice that after losing a game to everyone yesterday, they were able to pick that game right back up today against them all (except Toronto, but they’re pretty well out right now).

• jjyank says:

And on Tampa too!

7. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Why doesn’t Girardi start playing Jones more now that Ibanez has gone ice cold. Obviously the sample sizes are dramatically different, but I’d much rather have Jones’ .235/.395/.529 over Ibanez’s .242/.308/.478 against right-handed pitchers, or at the very least the upgrade in defense. Alternatively, if the lefty bat is so important, why not just keep playing Wise and give Jones first dibs on that DH platoon. In conclusion, I don’t like Raul Ibanez.

8. IWannaBeAHirokstar says:

Kuroda needs to be huge at least until C.C can return. Also, does anyone think Phelps to Garcia would be a better combination than Warren to Phelps on the days that a normal starter (in this case C.C or Pettitte) misses a start?