Jul

2012 Draft: Yankees “close” to signing sixth rounder Rob Refsnyder

Scouting director Damon Oppenheimer told Josh Norris that the Yankees are “close” to signing sixth rounder 2B/OF Rob Refsnyder, though the deal is not done yet. Refsnyder was named the College World Series Most Outstanding Player two weeks ago after leading his Arizona Wildcats to the national championship. Based on his Twitter feed, he’s in Tampa at the moment.

In other news, Oppenheimer said the Yankees are still “trying” to hammer out a deal with first rounder Ty Hensley. When asked if the two sides were close, he said he “thinks so.” The deadline to sign draft picks is next Friday, July 13th. You can see all of New York’s picks at Baseball America and keep track of the financial situation at our Draft Pool page.

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. Will The Thrill says:

Woo. I’m a sucker for MVP college players. I hope he can climb up through the system quickly.

2. Murderers' Row Boat says:

Anyone else get the feeling that this Hensley kid would rather make a bigger bonus in next year’s draft than pitch for the Yankees?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

No. I think he signs. It’s not all easy sometimes. Kid has the right to negotiate. This could be the biggest paycheck he ever sees in his life.

• Fernando says:

I could be wrong, but as a HS pitcher, Hensley can’t enter the draft again until his junior year in college.

• Steve (different one) says:

No, because that would involve having a shred of evidence pointing in that direction besides “the deal isn’t done yet”

• Jack in Taiwan says:

There isn’t much to negotiate. Refsnyder’s slot is about 200k and assuming he signs for about that amount then yanks will have about $1.9 million left for Hensley b4 having to forfeit a draft pick. Since the Yankees aren’t going to lowball a #1 pick, and will not want to lose a draft pick Hensley can either sign for that amount or go back to school. About the only thing I can think of that could be discussed is yanks picking up his college costs, but that’s something that’s almost automatically given to even lesser draftees. Maybe Hensley, who was expected to go higher had set his sights b4 the draft on a bigger bonus and now doesn’t want to settle for less. From the Yankees standpoint there isn’t a lot of stuff other than offer the $1.9 million max. Hensley can take it or leave it.

• Genghis says:

By holding out until the last minute, Hensley will know exactly how much the Yankees can spend without losing a draft pick. There is almost no risk on his part– at hat point there is no scenario in which it makes sense for the Yankees to insist he get less than the $1.9M; and beyond the slot bonus it will be clear how much extra the Yankees can pay without losing the draft pick. I predict Hensley signs hours before the deadline and gets just over $2M.

• Jack in Taiwan says:

The second it’s known how much Refsnyder signs for Hensley and the Yankees will know how much they can give b4 losing next year’s pick. If Ref goes for his slot the accdg to the RAB draft pool worksheet, the max Hensley will get will be Hensley’s slot ($1,600.000) + Pool money saved to date ($6,300)+ 5% allowed overage though that comes with a 75% tax rate (about $209,000). By my rough calculations Hensley will max out at a little over $1.8 million if the Yanks are willing to swallow the 75% overage tax. If not, he will get less or not sign at all.

3. Robinson Tilapia says:

I wish reality was that these college kids were closer to MLB ready coming out of school and that we were looking at, say, Pete O’Brien in AAA right now (why am I hung up on this guy?), but it is what it is.

Welcome aboard, hopefully, Mr. Refsnyder.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

K Law isn’t too high on O’Brien from what I’ve read.

Thinks his ceiling is DH/back up catcher which I guess isn’t bad if he hits.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

This is probably my indirect way of mourning Montero, I’m sure….pretend some kid I’ve never heard of, drafted in the third round, is suddenly a wonderchild in AAA. Never said I was being rational. :)

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Plus it would be awesome to have a slugging catcher named Petey O’Brien.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

……who is of the Mike Lowell school of “white-looking-and-sounding guys of latin descent.”

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

I think everyone knew a guy named Petey O’Brien growing up.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Ironically, in Miami, we certainly didn’t. :)

Also, ironically, this latin guy somehow has a blond-haired, blue-eyed son. I expect he’ll continue this tradition.

• Voice of Reason says:

plus he went to Bethune-Cookman, I assumed he was black at first. And Rob Refsnyder’s asian. A confusing bunch.

• JohnnyC says:

Law also famously thought it was “absurd” to think Mark Trumbo had big-time power and never ranked him higher than 145th.

4. crawdaddie says:

Who cares what K. Law thinks, he’s wrong more times than he’s right which is the cases with any baseball evaluater.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I choose the guy with superior grammar skills.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

I agree about these guys being wrong far more often than right but compared to the guys at baseball america, fangraphs and baseball prospectus, I respect his opinion the most since he’s actually done it for a major league team.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

They’re also all we’ve got sometimes. We shouldn’t just outright dismiss them. It’s not an exact science.

5. The Moral Majority is Neither says:

A DH/backup catcher would bring back happy Jim Leyritz memories for me.

And maybe O’Brien could end up as Pettitte’s personal catcher just like the King.