LHP Nik Turley earned the top spot in today’s Minor League Update. “A huge left-hander at 6-foot-6 and 230 pounds, Turley is actually more of a finesse pitcher who pounds the strike zone with three solid average pitches in his 88-92 mph fastball, curve and changeup,” wrote Kevin Goldstein. “It’s not the sexiest package, but it’s led to a 2.69 ERA with 89 strikeouts over 80.1 innings so far in the Florida State League, and if he can do something like that next year at Double-A, he’s suddenly a very real prospect.”
These West Coast games have me dragging in a bad way, so I’m taking the easy way out tonight…
- Triple-A Empire State (win): 3B Kevin Russo, 2B Corban Joseph (two), and DH Jack Cust all doubled. C Frankie Cervelli had a single and a triple while CF Darnell McDonald, 1B Brandon Laird, LF Kosuke Fukudome, and RF Cole Garner had one single apiece. LHP Justin Thomas threw four scoreless in the spot start while RHP Manny Delcarmen made up for it by allowing four runs in one inning.
- Double-A Trenton (loss): CF Melky Mesa tripled and 1B Luke Murton doubled to highlight a boring night with the sticks. LHP Shaeffer Hall allowed four runs in 7.2 innings. Definite candidate for the most uninteresting game of the season.
- High-A Tampa (loss): CF Mason Williams hit a solo homer and walked while LF Slade Heathcott and C Gary Sanchez chipped in doubles. DH Ramon Flores singled as did the rehabbing SS Eduardo Nunez. RHP Joba Chamberlain threw his rehab inning before RHP Jose Ramirez allowed four runs while getting four outs. LHP Rigoberto Arrebato highlighted the relievers with 2.2 scoreless innings.
- Low-A Charleston (loss): They only had four singles on offense, including two by CF Ben Gamel. C Tyson Blaser and 1B Rey Nunez had the others. RHP Phil Wetherell started for whatever reason and struck out seven in three one-run innings. RHP Will Oliver replaced him and allowed one run across the final six innings.
- Short Season Staten Island (loss): LF Taylor Dugas had a pair of knocks including a double while 1B Saxon Butler, DH Matt Snyder (two), and 2B Jamiel Orozco had singles. CF Danny Oh tripled as well. RHP Andrew Benak started and allowed three runs in 4.2 innings. RHP Derek Varnadore backed him up by giving up just one unearned run in 3.2 innings.
- Rookie GCL Yanks (win): C Austin Romine caught a full nine innings for the first time this year, doubling and drawing a pair of walks in his five trips to the plate. RF Tyler Austin played seven innings in the field while drawing a walk and singling in four plate appearances. RHP Zach Nuding allowed two runs (one earned) in 4.2 innings. All three players are rehabbing from injuries. SS Austin Aune continued his hot hitting with a single and a double.