Jul

White Sox “zeroing in” on Dellin Betances

Via Josh Norris, the White Sox are “zeroing in” on right-hander Dellin Betances after scouting his last three Double-A starts. No word on if the two sides are actually talking trade or anything like that, however. Betances does fit their style though, they grab big power arms and hope pitching coach Don Cooper can help them out. That part makes sense.

I’m not quite sure what the ChiSox realistically have to offer that can help the Yankees. Chicago’s contending so it’s not like they’re going to send over Matt Thornton or something, that would be ideal. Gordon Beckham would be a sweet change of scenery candidate, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Categories : Asides, Trade Deadline

1. Will The Thrill says:

Paul Konerko please. Or maybe this is the third team as part of a three team trade!

2. Brooklyn Ed says:

let’s say it’s Gordon Beckham, would be take over 3B or utility player?

• Jack says:

I would assume util until he remembers how to hit.

• AC says:

Even if it’s a 3 team deal would you trade Betances for Gordon? Id rather move Betances and a package deal and land Garza who under control I think thru 2013.

• Ted Nelson says:

Who says the Cubs have interest in Betances, though? I mean I don’t really care for Garza as much as many (solid mid-rotation guy), but Betances is a long shot at this point.

• Voice of Reason says:

You never miss a chance do you? Obviously there’s no evidence that the Cubs like Dellin Betances, but clearly his point is that if you’re going to trade him, it might as well be as part of a package that can yield something of real value, rather than for a hack like Gordon Beckham. What’s the upside of that? Paying arb money to a slightly better utility player than Eduardo Nunez for the next few years? Might as well keep him and see if he straightens things out in that case.

• Ted Nelson says:

My point is that his trade value is very questionable right now. If you do trade him, there are probably only so many teams who are still bullish. (Like one seems like a lot.)

I tend to agree they won’t move him. But if a team is actually seeking Betances out, that’s the best chance to get some value.

Beckham, like Betances, is an opportunity to get a guy who stinks if/because you think he’ll figure it out.

• RetroRob says:

I would take Beckham in a heartbeat for Betances. I just can’t believe the White Sox would give up on Beckham quite so quickly, but who knows. They did trade Swisher for Betemit.

Beckham signed as a SS and there were not concerns about him staying at short. He got moved to both third and second because he was blocked.

He could serve as the back-up infielder and a potential replacement for Jeter.

It will take more than Betances, though, to get him. His star has fallen, but not that far.

• stuart a says:

It’s got to be 3B. I’d rather take Youklis but anything is better than more ARod. No RBIs again, he’s a black hole.

3. Rey22 says:

Ignoring how this wouldn’t happen cause the Sox are contending, if they wouldn’t have been and we could trade Betances straight up for Rios, would anyone do it? Anyone buying into his good year? Gardner insurance this year and Swisher replacement for the next.

4. TheOneWhoKnocks says:

I have no idea what this could be about but I trust cashman to beat Kenny Williams

• jjyank says:

Likewise. Cash just needs to get Williams drunk again and steal another player.

• Voice of Reason says:

I trust anyone to beat Kenny Williams.

When I saw this headline my first thought was “who the fuck for?” I’d assume it would be a prospect swap in anything, because there’s no way the White Sox are selling.

5. Mike says:

Is this a serious post ? Why would they give up paulie

6. Chris F says:

Jake Peavy….?

7. Steve says:

Think the Yanks are looking at De Aza?

• Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

I love De Aza. I certainly hope so.

• Steve says:

I don’t know if I hope so, but he seems like the only guy that makes sense. I’m assuming the Yankees aren’t looking at pitching, and the White Sox’ catcher is AJ so he’s not being traded.

What about both Tyler Flowers and de Aza?

• FIPster Doofus says:

He’d be a nice get, but why would Chi trade him?

• mike says:

What about a three team trade Philly sends brown to NY, NY sends betences to chi, chi sends Beckham to phi. Maybe another prospect or two changes hands to even things out.

8. Jackson says:

Look at what they did with Jose Quintana. Imagine what Cooper could do with Betances. I don’t think the NYY could get Quintana back for Betances straight up.

9. Tom says:

Betances for Chris Sale!

• Leg-End says:

This. Just so we can get the headlines, Fire-Sale! as the White Sox fans hunt down their mentally crumbling GM before he trades the rest of the rotation for cash considerations and Lastings Milledge.

• HEY GUYS, GREAT SHOW. I HAVE TO AGREE WITH JACKSON HERE. THIS IS A FAIR TRADE. SALE IS UNPROVEN AND BETANCES HAS BEEN RANKED IN AMERICAN BASEBALL GUIDE’S TOP 100 FOR 5 YEARS RUNNING. THE ($)MAN GETS IT DONE AGAIN!

10. Cuso says:

Dayán Viciedo is going to hit free agency at the end of the year.

Not that this makes any more sense than De Asa from CWS perspective except for his FA status.

• Andruw's Smile says:

Viciedo cant be a FA after this season, he’s only been around 2-3 years. Am I missing something?

• Cuso says:

He signed a 4-year deal at age 20 ad international FA. He’s 24.

• Cuso says:

Bah, I got it wrong. Nevermind. He’s got one more year on current deal anyways.

• Peter says:

Don’t you have to stay with a team for six years before you are eligible for FA? If you for some reason refuse to sign a contract, your team could automatically resign you, as long if you have under six years of MLB service. I’m sure the Sox would do that anyways, Because Konerko is almost done for, they see he can play a little 1B. Konerko’s replacement maybe? He’s the kind of guy who can hit in the middle of your lineup, but keep in mind he is inconsistent at times, and you can even see in his swing he tries too hard to hit home runs. I think he could be a very polished hitter if taught correctly.

• Voice of Reason says:

yeah he is most definitely not a free agent

11. Knoxvillain says:

Well, Betances for anyone straight up would barely get you Cody Ransom. Then again, it is Kenny Williams. So, is a Betances for Konerko, Sale, and Peavy deal realistic?

12. Granderslam says:

Prospect for Prospect Trade? Not that Betances is much of a prospect. Anyone in the White Sox system valuable to the Yanks?

13. Alex says:

septimo or thorton please. You can even include rapada lol

14. Phil says:

Hawk Harrelson for Betances…You can put it on the booooaaaard….YES!

15. Billy says:

Sox are trying to make a play for greinke so they clearly need the prospects

16. 28 this year says:

I think this is probably nothing because when the Yankees actually go for a trade, we don’t hear about it until it falls apart or is completed. Those deals always come out of nowhere. This is probably something Cashman discussed a couple days ago and it went nowhere.

17. Travis L. says:

You guys are all clowns!!! How about a three team trade with Chicago and Arizone. Lets get Justin Upton. We did that three team deal with Arizona and Detroit to net Granderson. Lets do it again!!!

• Travis L. says:

And just read that Mason Williams left the game early…wonder if the deal is almost finished and Mason is on his way to Arizona or Chicago? Along with Kelvin Perez and Frankie Cervelli…I kid… or do I?

18. ajra21 says:

there is no way the chisox gie up de aza for betances. it makes no sense. as for a three team deal, who knows? given that we need all the payroll relief moving forward, dealing our young playes away is not a good idea. guys like mason williams need to be kept.

i’d take hawk harrelson in a trade just so we could shove him in a locked, dark room and make the world a better place.

19. AntD says:

I say call KC Royals and ask if they want Betances and another player maybe a Adam Warren or David Phelps as a starting point for Alex Gordan. Royals need cheap SP and i think Betances would fair well in that big ballpark out there and no pressure of being the hometown kid trying to get to the Yanks…..Or id take Gordan Beckham and move him to OF he has some speed way more than Ibanez or Jones and was a very good SS in college so has a good to decent arm…if he fails there then have him play 3B

20. Bill says:

Honestly dealing Betances is probably not a smart move unless someone overvalues him. Sure, his chances of success in the rotation seem to be dwindling, but even if he fails there he still has a good chance of being a good reliever. Right now his value is at a low point and the White Sox are interested because of that. Here’s a guy with an amazing arm that won’t cost a whole lot in a trade. Its a good gamble if they can pull off a trade, but I think the Yankees should gamble on their ability to make him successful here. With Mo retiring in the near future and Soriano gone after next year the back-end of our bullpen is going to need some help with only Robertson locked in. Betances could potentially fill a role there. And that’s if he can’t right the ship as a starter.