Jul

Yanks outlast Sox in wild Fenway affair

Source: FanGraphs

Eighteen runs, eleven pitchers, five lead changes, four hours. In other words, it was a typical Yankees-Red Sox game. I’m going to go ahead and assume that you’ve already seen — or at least know the outcome of — Friday’s game and will instead provide some thoughts rather than a traditional recap. Away we go…

• Jumping on Josh Beckett early felt really good. During this week’s podcast I said I was hoping they would come out and put up a crooked number early, and the offense held up its end of the bargain. Too bad Hiroki Kuroda decided to have what was essentially his worst start of the season. He was getting hit awfully hard, even the outs. I was screaming at Joe Girardi to take him out in like, the second inning, but he managed to squeeze 17 outs from him and I’m sure that will be appreciated by the bullpen tomorrow.
  • Speaking of the bullpen, I thought Girardi did a fantastic job with the relievers. Boone Logan was in the game when he should have been, David Robertson was in the game when he should have been, and Rafael Soriano was in the game when he should have been. Each guy was brought into what was then the biggest spot of the game and they were the best man for the job.
  • That said, Logan needs the All-Star break more than anyone. He’s flat out gassed. This was his league-leading 42nd appearance in just 82 games. I’m sure we’ll see him in each of the next two days, however.
  • Critical Moment: Derek Jeter‘s play to get the lead runner at third in the seventh. The Yankees were up two, the Sox had two on with one out, and Jeter didn’t have a chance to turn two given the location of the ball. Very heady play to get the lead guy because if he hadn’t, it would have been based loaded with one out rather than two on with two outs. Just an enormous swing.
  • They got zero runs out of it, but I loved the double steal in the fifth. Alex Rodriguez effective stole third three times in the span of eight innings dating back to last game. I did not like playing the infield in or intentionally walking David Ortiz in the fourth, but naturally both worked so I’ll shut up.
  • Remember when Mark Teixeira couldn’t hit against the Red Sox last season? He hit .133/.264/.200 in 72 plate appearances across the 18 games last year, but this year he’s 5-for-14 (.357) with two doubles and two homers in three games against Beantown. Small sample, obviously, but much better. His go-ahead triple was a homer in basically every other park but who cares. Got the job done.
  • Big ups to Raul Ibanez and Eric Chavez for some clutch two-out, two-strike hits to tack on insurance runs in the seventh. Those are back-breakers for the other team and I love ‘em.
  • Two outs on the bases are two too many. A-Rod was thrown out at home on the contact play — he had to hesitate a second to make sure the soft liner wasn’t caught — and Chavez was thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double. Hate those outs on the bases, so frustrating. Especially in Fenway, no need to force anything in a park where routine fly balls to left are doubles.
  • The Yankees scored ten runs on 14 hits — four for extra-bases — and four walks plus a hit batsman. None of those hits was a homer. Ten runs in Fenway and none were dingers. It’s only the second time the Yankees won without a homer all season, joining the 14-inning game against the Nationals.

All in all, it was a very satisfying if not nail-biting win. MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs the nerd stats, and ESPN the updated the standings. The Yankees are eight games up on the Rays and nine up on the Red Sox and we’re not even at the All-Star break. That’s fantastic. I hope you’re ready for Saturday’s doubleheader, that’s going to be a doozy. First game starts at noon-30.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Nice win with 2 coming tomorrow. Split Saturday and play with house money Sunday.

2. Steve (different one) says:

I hate these games

3. CBean says:

I’m sorta glad I wasn’t home to watch this one. The game thread must’ve been insane, even moreso I mean.

• bobtaco says:

Go back and read after Kuroda melted down following the 5 runs the Yankees scored in the top of the first…

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I read the thread last night. Between the constant Asian/child abuse jokes and general doofusry, I can’t imagine it’s one Mike will be putting up as a PowerPoint for the advertisers anytime soon.

4. Steve (different one) says:

Don’t see the harm in ARod trying to score on the contact play. If you’re out, it’s 1st and 3rd with 2 outs instead of 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs. BFD. Why not see if the throw is off line?

With no outs, I agree, don’t chance it. If he didn’t have to freeze, he prob scores.

ARod is running the bases like a man possessed of late…

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

Only problem I had with the play was that ARod got a horrible jump.

• forensic says:

My main problem with the play was that they let Swisher swing 3-0 when Beckett was ready to load the bases again.

• Steve (different one) says:

Absolutely, that’s on Swisher. He has to swing at a good pitch or take it. Swisher had a bad game.

5. Brian S. says:

We really needed this one with Freddy going tomorrow morning. I might sleep in past that one.

• Brian S. says:

Although I do like Hughes v. Doubront with how those two have pitched lately.

• NYCSPORTZFAN says:

I don’t know about that.. Freddy pitched well his last time out, and u never know what Morales will give ya as a starter, either, albeit, hes been good so far..

I agree with Mike about the jeter play being the biggest play.. Just great instinctive baseball and savy by the captain..

Kuroda essentially has one of these games once a month.. He had one in April, May, and now the beggining of July.. So, we should be all set for awhile before we see Kuroda get cracked for 6or more runs..

I thought the out by Soriano get Adrian Gonzalez(red hot) for last out of the 8th was right up there with the jeter play..

6. Steve (different one) says:

Outside of a doctrinairre hatred of IBBs, why would you not like the IBB of Ortiz? The Yankees can’t get him out, haven’t been able to get him out for a decade now, and you have a guy with a huge platoon split behind him.

No brainer IMO. Go after Ross.

• forensic says:

Completely agree, I might be slightly off, but I think lefties against Kuroda to that point in the game were about 29-30 with 28 doubles off the monster and a homer. No way I pitch to Ortiz there.

7. Cuso says:

This game was long.

My eyes hurt.

8. Gonzo says:

C’mon Freddy! It’ll be nice and hot. Maybe he’ll be able to get the ball nice and funky.

9. mt says:

In reading tweets after game, apparently Tex (who usually is very bland) unloaded in terms of his hatred of Padilla (for throwing at Tex and also hitting other players on the other team when they were teammates so Tex would then get hit in retaliation)

Surprising candor – he better hope he doesn’t face Padilla because Padilla is crazy enough to hit him even if it leads to Yankee runs. I am sure Red Sox reporters (or Yankee reporters for that matter) will go running to Padilla tomorrow to see his reaction to quotes.

Bobby V will also try to use it as motivation, I am sure, even though Tex has credibility becuase he said Padilla hit people on purpose even when they were teammates (and then Tex would get hit in retaliation.) It’s one thing to hate an opponent but also to call out a former teammate.

10. rogue says:

Karoda’s problem: Lefties kill him and Boston loaded their lineup with them (6/9).

The 3 righties facing Karoda were a combined 2/9 with 2 Ks and 2 singles.

Kuroda 2012 L/R slips (entering the game):

OPS:
    R .598
    L .777

xFIP:
    R 2.99
    L 4.57

K%
    R 24.0
    L 15.6

BB%
    R 4.1
    L 9.6

11. BK2ATL says:

Great gutty job by Hiroki tonight. Would’ve been easy to throw the towel in, but he gave us almost 6 innings and kept us in the game. He wasn’t effective early, but he kept us in the game long enough. Eppley, Robertson and Soriano did a bang-up job for us.

Boston used 6 pitchers tonight. We need to jump all over Morales and Dubrount tomorrow. Get into that bullpen and bleed them. High pitch counts.

Great to see the offense step up. Tex was productive!!!!! He looked like the guy we signed. A-Rod had 3 “hits” and 2 SBs. Hopefully they’ll lift off tomorrow and clear that wall. Hope abounds.

We’ll need Hughes and Sweaty Fredy to get us through at least 6-7 tomorrow. We need Hughes to continue to effective pitching against this lineup. No fear. Fredy should be able to junkball them to death, after the Game 1 butt-kicking.

I’m greedy now. I want a Fenway sweep.

• bobtaco says:

I have a bad feeling about the Hughes start, he always seems to get destroyed in Fenway.

• Steve (different one) says:

Arod’s second “hit” was clearly an error, IMO, but the other 2 were legit hits.

• rogue says:

All singles.

• forensic says:

Do singles not count as hits anymore?

• rogue says:

Not for ARod.

The Yankees didn’t pay all that money for a singles hitter. Meanwhile his ISO is in a free fall.

• forensic says:

Ah, well at least everyone is judged under similar rules.

Yes, his power is down. And yet despite that he’s been the 3rd best hitter on the team overall this season and basically 3rd on the team in June too. Yeah, it’s been frustrating at times and I wouldn’t have him batting 3rd/4th in the lineup, but it’s more frustrating how differently he’s judged because of his name, contract, and that the media likes to pick on him.

• Jim Is Bored says:

Doesn’t matter to me until HE cares about it.

The rational among us realize his contract is a monstrosity, accept it, and are happy that he’s a pretty productive 3rd basemen.

12. Great game and I agree 100% about the proper bullpen usage and the fact the the Jeter play was huge..big W for the bronx bombers

13. Rey22 says:

So mad I missed this one. Love these kind of games (as long as the Yanks win. If they lose they are devastating)

14. Dino Velvet says:

Two 4 hour games tomorrow — WOOO HOOO!

15. Dino Velvet says:

Yanks with best record in baseball.

Sox 1/2 game from the cellar

16. Scott says:

Did anyone read on MLBTraderumors.com that the D-Backs may make Justin Upton available??? I think we may have just found our solution to RF next year. He is under team control at $41+ million through 2015 and is just 24!!! Plus, the D-Backs GM is Kevin Towers…the special assistant to Ca$hman a couple of years ago…probably knows our system and organization pretty well. Sounds like a good match to me!

• Alfredo says:

I think if we make this happen the Yankees do not pick up Grandersons option and resign Swisher.
      I think it would take Manny Banuelos, Gary Sanchez, Nunez, and Dellin Betances.

• Scott says:

I’d be OK with those…just worried they’d ask for more…maybe one of Mason Williams/Tyler Austin/Bichette/Campos/ or even Nova. I’ll hate to lose Granderson, but 2014 is looming!

• Unless Towers is as drunk as i am right now when he’s taking that phone call he hangs up immediately. Otherwise he giggles a bit first, then hangs up. Try Campos/ManBan, Sanchez, Williams/Bichette/Austin, and Nova. Betances is officially a fringe bullpen prospect at this point, and Nunie lost a lot of his trade value earlier this season, but they might ask for him in the package i just gave.

• Bobtaco says:

Remember this?

• Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers, who spent last season scouting with the Yankees, offers yet another ringing endorsement for the Yanks’ top pitching prospects — and actually likes right-hander Dellin Betances even better than lefty Manny Banuelos.

Betances, 6-foot-8 and 245 pounds, “might be King Felix,” Towers says.

• GT Yankee says:

I hope resigning Swisher doesn’t happen. I know he brought a relaxed and fun atmosphere to the clubhouse, but enough is enough. He might be one of the dumber players in baseball. Anyone catch a couple of nights ago when A-Rod called time and told Swish he was stealing 3rd only to look back and see Swish standing on first with that stupid look on his face? I mean the dead ball call that sent A-Rod back, not the second time when A-Rod stole it where staying put made some sense.

Mark my words, Swish will trend down in his 30′s badly.

• hoss says:

I love Swish as a human being. He is a great clubhouse guy and an asset to the team. But have to agree with your point and add that his defense, although improved, still leaves a lot to be desired. He also does not get calls from most umpires because he has been arguing with them for most of his career. He is paying the price with fringe pitches. If we can get a true hometown discount (i.e. $7-8/yr for 2-3 yrs. like Willingham’s contract) then great. But $10-12/yr over that same period (like Bourn will get, perhaps) does not make sense. I’d rather keep Grandy, sign Bourn. If we can keep Swisher at a discount then great. Otherwise, let him go and package Gardner (when he returns to health) with a young arm for another outfielder with some power and potential (like Josh Reddick) and we’ve got some legs for the future.

17. Kevin says:

Tommorrow will be a slugfest for both sides again. IMO,it’s going to come down to the bullpens.
    I will be happy with a split.

18. vicki says:

maybe i’m just projecting but mike’s tone in the notes is downright giddy.

19. Monterowasnotdinero says:

Who says National league baseball can’t be fun?

10 runs, 14 hits, no homers and the pitcher batting.

Oooops! I meant Russell Martin.

20. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

I was starting to get sick of Ibanez…well, I am sick of Ibanez. But a tip of the cap for his clutch hits last night. Bravo, Raul, bravo. Encore encore.

21. Countryclub says:

Another win without a HR. what’s that….the 2nd?

22. forensic says:

I was surprised to hear that this is the first time since 1994(!) that the Yankees have won their first three games of the season against the Sox. I know they’ve struggled early in seasons recently, but to have to go that far back for only 3 wins seems amazing.

That year they won the first 6, so hopefully they tie that this series.

23. forensic says:

It was fine bringing in Logan for Ortiz when he did, but not a big fan of leaving him in for the next 3 guys. It’s tough with the 4 games in 3 days, but he left him in against Ross who has a colossal platoon split and Gonzalez who hits lefties a bit better than righties just to get to Saltalamacchia who has a relatively large split finally in the lefty’s favor.

You’re giving a platoon advantage to two better hits to get an advantage against one lesser hitter. Didn’t like how that was handled, but otherwise Girardi was fine with making his switches to get the last outs of innings with new guys if needed.

24. dkidd says:

yesterday was national fried chicken day

seriously