Aug

Josh Norris’ Low-A Charleston scout notes

The great Josh Norris posted a collection of quotes from a scout on various members of this year’s Low-A Charleston roster this afternoon. The scout sung the praises of C Gary Sanchez and OF Mason Williams, but wasn’t a fan of either OF Tyler Austin or SS Cito Culver. It a short but fun read, so make sure you give it a click.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. OldYanksFan says:

I wonder if having Sanchez ‘allowed’ Cashman to trade Montero.

• Magilla Gorilla says:

Yes. That and Michael Pineda and Jose Campos, who was rated about even with Sanchez as a prospect, before he tore his arm off.

• Ted Nelson says:

Don’t think you can really count on someone that far away, and the Yankees didn’t seem to view Montero as a C anyway

• Laz says:

If he couldn’t catch they really didn’t have room for him as a dh. He has only caught 40 games so far for the mariners.

• Ted Nelson says:

I think that they could have had plenty of room if they wanted.

• DM says:

You’re right. With the rotating DH and A-Rod and Jeter taking a bigger and bigger chunk of the RH ABs there, Montero needed to become the Yankees f/t catcher to get serious playing time.
          And after drafting Zunino, and he seemingly on the fast-track after a torrid start, Seattle is already working Montero at 1st. I’d say his catching career is over before it started, but I doubt he’ll be able to stick at first either — so I suspect they’ll abandon that idea too. And it wouldn’t shock me at all to see him traded again.

2. LeftyLarry says:

Still to early and he’s still too young to say for sure Cito won’t hit, I don’t buy it.
    Austin can’t defend? He was a catcher, 3rd baseman and 1st baseman and this is his first year in the OF.He has the arm and enough foot speed to become a better than average RF’er, let’s give him some time to develop.

• Laz says:

Agreed, he has shown the ability to take alot of walks, so if he can at least get his average up to .260-.270 range he should be a valuable player.

• Laz says:

And I think Austin should be able to handle right. Maybe not great, but it is a relatively easy position and he has a good arm and decent speed.

• Jonathan says:

I thought this was very odd…The scout complains that Austin will miss average fastballs and he thinks he should have hit them and then immediately says he won’t miss mistakes….And as many have said the guy has barely played the OF. Give him 1/2 a year before we start hearing he can’t play it. Not to mention if DBJ keeps this up he might end up back at 3B. Cito is definitely interesting. He walks like crazy and everyone says he can defend and run. Sounds like what everyone said about Gardner. I hope Cito can learn how to hit decently well because we’ve seen how valuable a player Gardner is with elite defense, great speed, a guy that walks but doesn’t hit that well. Here’s to hoping Cito can get to the level of Gardner when it comes to hitting.. maybe .275 or so with a lot of walks and no power.

3. bg90027 says:

While I get that we all hope Tyler Austin becomes a productive power hitting starting corner outfielder in the majors, I wouldn’t quite say that a scout projecting him to be a 4th outfielder with some power isn’t a fan. Most guys in A ball won’t sniff the majors.

Nice to see the praise of Sanchez and Williams though.

4. pat says:

Austin, Mason + Slade = Earth, Wind + Fire.

5. DM says:

From what I’ve seen in video and stats, Sanchez doesn’t seem like he’s as good a hitter as Montero. He might be more of a HR hitter b/c of his swing, but pure hand/eye, see-ball/hit-ball, Montero is better.

• Bo Knows says:

Sanchez has a significantly better eye than Montero and rates as a better defender, part of his issues is that he has more excessive movement in his swing than Jesus which has lead to contact issues.

• DM says:

I don’t disagree at all; and I didn’t say anything about defense. The movement and upper cut swing should lead to more dingers (at least in theory). And despite Montero’s immense power he doesn’t have a HR swing. When Jesus meets the ball, it jumps — but he hits off his front foot with a lunging arm swing a lot. He really wasn’t a big HR guy in the minors either; more a 3 hitter than a bopper, and not even that in AAA.