Aug

Update: Yankees designate Ramiro Pena for assignment

August 2nd: Apparently the Yankees designated Pena for assignment yesterday, according to the official site. That seems weird, they didn’t need to clear a 40-man roster spot for McGehee and could have easily sent Ramiro to Triple-A. Brian Cashman did confirm the move to Chad Jennings, however.

August 1st: As expected, the Yankees have sent Ramiro Pena back down to Triple-A to make room on the 25-man roster for the recently acquired Casey McGehee. Pena had one single in four plate appearances and two pinch-running appearances during his brief stint with the big league club. McGehee is in this afternoon’s lineup, playing first base and hitting seventh.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. James says:

What number will McGehee wear? #26? #45?

2. LiterallyFigurative says:

Welcome to the Boogie Down, Casey!

3. DERP says:

I still can’t believe Pena spent all of 2010 with the Yankees.

• vin says:

Yeah, that doesn’t sound right. I could’ve sworn he was injured for a period, but I must be thinking of his appendectomy last year.

4. vin says:

Sorry Ramiro, it just wasn’t meant to be. May you eventually land with the Angels and get more playing time than you’ll ever deserve.

5. Matt Warden says:

Come on, guys. Don’t let this regress into pettyness. TMN is welcome to his opinions on the team — even they don’t match the majority’s.

For what it’s worth, I think you’re being a bit bearish on this team though, TMN. They have their warts like every team in the league. However, they are also extremely talented and are not in first place by accident.

Ichiro and McGehee are both smart moves for what they are designed for. Neither of these guys are long term, critical pieces of the Yankees plan. They are here for depth and to help the team win this year and I think as long as we keep their roles in perspective, we probably won’t be disappointed.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

That bat, and maybe even glove, aren’t good enough to be the kind of guy who sticks around one place for long. He’s pretty much still in pinstripes because he’s got options, but Pena will probably carve a niche for himself as a defensive-minded 5th infielder. No shame in being a journeyman. Just ask our friend, DeWayne Wise.

7. Brooklyn Ed says:

Seriously hope Casey regains his 2009/2010 form.

8. Opus says:

Obviously clearing a roster spot for Cliff Lee.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I mean, this is NOT happening, but I’d claim him on the virtually-non-existent chance that I’d make the only claim AND they let him go to dump the salary. Then I’d trade him for whatever I could get for him before 2014.

I reserve the right to think what I just said is absolutely insane in the next 30 seconds after hitting “submit comment.”

• Chip Off The Ol'Knoblauch says:

I’d put a waiver claim on him just to avoid the chance he passes through waivers and a playoff team loses a top end starter before Aug 31st and gives the Phillies a “Godfather” offer for him.

9. Rich M says:

Doesn’t Romine need to come off the 60 day dl soon? His 30 day rehab clock must be up soon, no? Could this be the move?

10. Robinson Tilapia says:

The DFA makes no sense unless they’re dying to add someone else to it that badly.

• RetroRob says:

Hmmm, hadn’t thought about that angle, although it’s related to the comment below. They were able to get Kei Igawa off the 40-man roster by passing him through waivers. They might be attempting to do the same with Pena, but for different reasons. This could allow the Yankees to get Pena off the 40-man roster while still keeping him, and without burning one of his options. (I’m guessing at all this.)

Yet, if he was off the 40-man, that would leave him exposed to the Rule 5 draft, and I’m quite sure some team would pick him up as a reserve. A couple of teams were trying to trade for him as a cheap reserve/pinch runner/defensive player with MLB experience.

Or maybe it’s all just a clerical error on the site!

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I would think if any team would be interested in taking him in the rule 5 draft, they would just claim him (or trade for him) now, and not be beholden to the Rule 5 restrictions. I would think if he could clear waivers so that the Yankees could outright him to the minors now, that would mean no team would likely take him in the Rule 5 draft.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d say just claim him now if you want him that badly.

Ramiro might stick on some team’s roster all year. Hell, he stuck on the Yankee roster for an entire year.

11. Brian S. says:

I don’t care if he is DFAd. I will always remember him botching those two ground balls against the Mets.

12. Leg-End says:

Jeez he’s 27 already? In my mind hes been about 23 forever.

13. ikl says:

I wonder if the Yankees think that this is a good time to slip Pena through waivers, much as they did for Dickerson at the beginning of spring training. I think that Pena may be out of options next year, and if so, they would have to get him through waivers at some point before next April in order to keep him in the organization without having him on the 25 man roster. If someone claims him, no big deal – Nix is a better option is utility infielder anyway (as are any number of other player who the Yankees could acquire before next year for nothing or next to nothing).

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

This sounds like a definite possibility.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

COuld be.

• RetroRob says:

I believe if someone claims him they could also simply pull him back and then use one of his options.

Not sure. I’m hardly an expert on waiver and option rules.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I think the DFA removes him from the 40-man roster, so I don’t think optioning him would still be an option. If he clears waivers, they can still outright him though.

• ikl says:

Yes, I mean non-revocable waivers, not trade deadline revocable waivers. Once a player is DFA’d, they can only be sent to the minors if they are passed through non-revocable waivers (and some other conditions apply). Trade deadline waivers are revocable, but as far as I know, totally unrelated to Pena’s situation.

• RetroRob says:

You’re right.

BTW This site provides a good overview of the ins and outs of waiver (all three flavors) and DFA transactions. Crazy.

• ikl says:

Also, I doubt the Yankees want to keep Pena on the 40 man through the winter – it is better to use the roster space to protect an additional prospect from the Rule 5 draft.

• yoo0boo says:

You mean open spot for someone who can help Yanks’ playoff chance because now is not the time to protect newbies.

• ikl says:

They have an open spot on the 40-man already now, so this is probably not about clearing room for someone. But of course Pena’s spot could also come in handy in Sept. especially if some of the 60 DL guys come back.

14. Ralph says:

Now I’m worried about a Carlos Lee claim. Not so much a Cliff Lee claim but rather not take on the salary of him.

15. AC says:

Maybe he just asked for his release. Seems weird they released him. Unless they are promoting alot from A and AA to AAA.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

They didn’t release him. They DFAed him.

• yoo0boo says:

Yeah, what RT said.

DFA means you remove someone from 40 man roster but not from the organization yet. Once the waiver clears, you can either release him or outright him to minor.

16. nickswishahisastahtingpitchah says:

Feels like Ramiro Pena is sent to AAA like 3 or 4 times a week

17. yoo0boo says:

Yankees have no room for Pena with Nunez returning to AAA.

18. Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

Leave Ramiro, and take your dump truck of suck with you.

19. Ken says:

I liked Ramiro Pena. He’s a very good and versatile fielder. Too bad he can’t hit. We’ll see if Casey at the bat is any better.