Sep

Update: Yankees & Dodgers will play a home-and-home next year

September 5th: Via Shaikin, the Yankees and Dodgers will play a home-and-home series next year. The Dodgers will play two games in the Bronx in June while the Yankees will play three out in Los Angeles in July. Hooray for that.

August 26th: Via Bill Shaikin, the Dodgers will visit Yankee Stadium for an interleague series next season. This is long, long overdue — the Dodgers have not played the Yankees in the Bronx since the 1981 World Series. The clubs also met in the 1963, 1977, and 1978 Fall Classics after the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles in 1958.

Over the last few weeks we’ve learned that the Giants are also tentatively scheduled to visit Yankee Stadium next summer, and that the Bombers will open their season with three games at home against the Red Sox. The Dodgers have very suddenly morphed into the Yankees West, which is kinda exciting to watch as a baseball fan from afar. I’ll enjoy seeing it up close next season, that’s for sure.

Categories : Asides

1. AnthonyD says:

2 series season ticket holders can hope to actually get face or slightly above.

• Incitatus says:

Amen to this. What the hell happened to Yankee tickets? My sister and I have four tickets at $45 each, and when we can’t find friends to go, we put the extras up on StubHub. I’m lucky to get $35 for them, and that’s not counting the commission StubHub takes out.

Next year we’re reducing our package to two tickets. I like the Yankees but I don’t need to donate money to them.

2. Mike N says:

Is there anywhere on the Internet to find the entire Yankees tentative 2013 schedule?

3. Kosmo says:

One of NYs great rivals dating back to the 1940s when the Dodgers played in Brooklyn. Nice to see them coming to the Bronx for an inter-league series.

4. Drew says:

Especially after the trade, I’m pumped for this series.

5. Knoxvillain says:

I love what the Dodgers are doing with their team. It makes baseball much more exciting. Hopefully they get swept next year though!

6. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

I’m annoyed the Yankees aren’t coming to SF to play so I can watch the games out here. It’s been 5 years since they’ve played at AT&T Park, and it looks like it’s going to be several more years.

7. BTG says:

Overdue (not overdo).

8. RetroRob says:

Perhaps the Dodgers will be coming to Yankee Stadium before next year.

I was at game one of the 1981 World Series. Sat in the bleachers. Remembered it was a bit cool. Guidry against Reuss. Nettles made a fine play or two at third, reminding the Dodgers of the last time the two teams had met in the World Series. Bob Watson hit a HR. They won the next game, too. Unfortunately the World Series continued on from there, not to the Yankees benefit.

9. King George says:

So does this mean the Padres will host the Yankees @ Petco?

10. SF and LA here? I’d love it, but something tells me that only 1 of the 2 will end up coming East.

Also, who’s ‘leaking’ scheduling info?

I’d love to visit AT&T (it’s called that, right?) next summer…I went to Dodger Stadium in 2010…no great shakes. It was basically Shea Stadium with less wear and tear (prob due to snow)….oh and Dodger dogs.

11. Boooo to the games in LA! Crappy stadium, and LA sucks. Will be cool to see the Dodgers in the Bronx though.

Would rather the Yanks play in SanFran!

12. Get Phelps Up says:

This is awseome. I will definitely be at the 3 games in LA.

13. Kramerica Industries says:

Why only two games in New York?

14. Reggie C. says:

I would love to get to LA for this 3 game set. RAB trip to LA ! I’m in.