Sep

MRI reveals irritation of Teixeira’s left calf strain

Mark Teixeira will be sidelined an additional 10-14 days after an MRI revealed “irritation” of his left calf strain, the team announced. That means he’ll miss this weekend’s series against the Rays, but will be back with about a week to spare in the regular season. Since this was essentially a setback, I would expect them to be even more conservative next time around. Obviously this is very bad news that feels worse because of Jerry Meals’ blown call on the play Teixeira re-injured himself.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Mick taylor says:

The only positive thing wasdhead miels behind the plate actually called a fair strike zone , which is you watch most games the yanks do not get.

• Big Members Only (formerly RI$P FTW) says:

lol victims
      It’s a conspiracy by MLB to make sure they keep the Yanks out of the post-season and ensure low ratings. Makes perfect sense.

2. Better off Eddard says:

They can win the division without Teixera but they can’t win the WS without Teixera. They’ll be more cautious but if they make the playoffs he’ll be there. Hopefully 10-14 is all he needs and he can ease back into some games before the playoffs.

3. Bobby V Loves Me says:

Melky Mesa to the rescue…

4. Hall and Nokes says:

The calf is probably just irritated at the call, like everyone else.

5. this space for rent says:

meh, they’re able to survive every April without him

6. RetroRob says:

The Yankees really should have held back Tex. They’re normally very conservative in these situations, but the overall team hitting slump caused them to push.

Overall, though, this is a little better news than I figured. I thought he might have not just irritated it, but made it worse than that he’d be gone until next Spring Training camp. This will still give him a week of games to get his timing down before the post season, assuming there will be a postseason for this team!

7. Zack says:

Well Tex manned up like so many people said he needed to do..and now he and the Yanks are worse off for it.

8. CS Yankee says:

Nah, rub some dirt on it and let’s go…we got a divison to win.

9. YanksFanDownSouth says:

Has Meals had a chance to get a better view of that play he missed, or has he conveniently moved on? He’s stated that the replay he saw was inconclusive. Seems like he’d be better served going forward to just say he’s human and missed it.

10. FIPster Doofus says:

I’d rather see Mustelier. Too bad he’s not on the 40.

11. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Very bad news? I just breathed a sigh of relief. I thought he wasn’t coming back at all, or worse, he was going to have surgery and miss part of next season.

This isn’t great news but “very bad” tells me that you had an awfully optimistic attitude about the injury to begin with.

• herby says:

It’s about what I expected, hopefully he’ll be back by the playoffs…but I thought it was stupid bringing him back in that game considering the conditions

12. Pat D says:

If I ever meet Jerry Meals, I’m taking his eyes as souvenirs.

13. Steve O says:

Sure you can take Meals’ eyes. You know he’s not using them.

14. Horace and Clarke says:

Excuse me…I don’t post here often, but am I to understand Jerry Meals claims he saw the replay and it was inconclusive? He said that? Wow.