Sep

Pettitte doing “good, very good, super” after latest simulated game

Via Joel Sherman, left-hander Andy Pettitte (fractured left leg) threw three innings and 46 pitches during his latest simulated game this afternoon. Pitching coach Larry Rothschild said it went “good, very good, super.” I suppose that’s a positive review.

Pettitte will getting checked out by the team doctors on Monday, and if all goes well he will start ramping up his workouts in advance of rejoining the team later this month. Rothschild said Andy will not make any minor league rehab starts — the Triple-A and Double-A clubs are the only affiliates still playing and they could be eliminated from the postseason as soon as this weekend — and instead do all his work in simulated games. I guess this means Pettitte could return to the rotation within two weeks, which would be neat.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. tipsie says:

Help me Andy Pettitte, you’re my only hope…

• IWannaBeAHirokstar says:

Playoff Wars: A New Hope
      Playoff Wars: The Orioles Strike Back
      Playoff Wars: Return of the Pettitte?
      Yes? No? Maybe?

2. Countryclub says:

Yeah, Sherman said Pettitte could throw 3-4 innings in 7-10 days. Would be a big boost. Phelps back to pen would be helpful too.

3. Jose M. Vazquez says:

That is wonderful news indeed.

4. Deep Thoughts says:

He should just start games in the bigs. The Yankees have been playing simulated games for six weeks. Heigh-o!

5. EDDARD says:

I like the sound of that. The offense is finally coming around. Teixera is back in the lineup today. Everything is coming together at the right time.

6. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Sounds to me like Rothschild was answering a multiple choice question as all of the above.

7. matt says:

With all the caveats about depending so much on a 40 year old coming off an injury – and of course, Yanks may have decided their fate largely before Andy is back and able to be effective – but my goodness, what a difference maker down the stretch. Just the depth he adds to the staff, allowing Phelps to help shore up the pen, a role he’s likely best suited for right now anyway. Hurry back Andy – not sure there’s much to be done in the way of fixing the pen, other than to get more great starts.

8. Mike Trout says:

That’s prettyneat

9. Marcy says:

Apologies – I tried to reply on previous thread but it didn’t go through

10. Jamey says:

I was pessimistic till he threw that “super” in there.

11. Big Members Only (formerly RI$P FTW) says:

Cool.

12. Neil says:

I would start him whenever Freddy is scheduled to start again (Saturday). If he goes 5 that’s all Freddy goes anyway.

13. Fin says:

LOL funny how the Yankee fans kill the Yankees when they are loosing for all the old players but go fucking nuts when a 40 year old who has pitched a handful of games in 2 years is comming off the DL.

I’m not going nuts for Andy coming back. I have to question what condidtion he will be in, since he had a leg injury. That being said he cant be much worse then the rest of the staff has been. Who knows maybe he can keep a lead.