Oct

Poll: Trading Alex Rodriguez

(Gregory Shamus/Getty)

The season is not yet over but it likely will be at some point in the next few days. The Yankees are down three games to none in the best-of-seven ALCS, and winning four consecutive games at any point of the season is tough, nevermind against a good team in the postseason with your back up against the wall. As soon as the Yankees are eliminated, the focus will shift to the offseason and potential roster moves because hey, that’s what everyone likes to talk about.

Based on the last two weeks, this offseason looks poised to be headlined by Alex Rodriguez and his future with the team. Yesterday we heard that the Yankees may or may not have engaged in trade talks with the Marlins about the third baseman, and on the field he’s lost playing time — either by being benched or pinch-hit for in the late innings — to Eric Chavez and Raul Ibanez. Add in the various gossip stories, particularly the NY Post report that he asked a pair of women for their phone numbers during Game One of the ALCS, and you’ve got the most polarizing player on the Yankees and perhaps in all of baseball. That’s nothing new though, it’s A-Rod.

Both Joe Girardi and Brian Cashman held court with the media yesterday, emphasizing that the decision to sit Alex against Detroit’s hard-throwing right-handers was purely a baseball decision. A-Rod is 0-for-18 with a dozen strikeouts against righties in the postseason (and has looked completely overmatched as well), so it’s very tough to argue their logic. To his credit, A-Rod has said all the right things when asked about being de-emphasized in the postseason. Chad Jennings has a great recap of yesterday’s media scrum with all three parties, so make sure you check that out.

The conspiracy theorists among us believe that benching Alex is intended to embarrass him and essentially help push him out the door this offseason. I don’t necessarily buy it but Alex Belth does, and you’re welcome to feel however you want. Intentional or not, there’s no doubt A-Rod’s confidence and pride has taken a shot these last two weeks. It’s human nature. Whether that’s enough to make him want him to leave the Yankees is another matter entirely. You can easily make the case either way.

Trading A-Rod will be very difficult given his mammoth contract — which still has five years and $114M remaining — and declining performance. He’ll go down as one of the greatest players ever, but he’s no longer that guy. The Yankees would undoubtedly have to eat a big chunk of that contract to facilitate a trade, and there is a point where eating so much money is counterproductive and hurts the team more than just keeping him would. I have no idea what that point is ($50M? $75M? $110M?), but it definitely exists. A-Rod’s ten-and-five rights give him full no-trade protection, another obstacle for a deal. He gets to pick his next team.

I have no idea how strained the relationship between Alex and the rest of the organization is, or if it is beyond repair. None of us do, so don’t even bother acting like you know what’s going on there. I have no doubt the team will look to unload him just because he’s a declining player owed a lot of money and teams typically look to unload those players, but it just may not be realistic. The Yankees made their bed by signing A-Rod to that historic contract and it seems like a safe bet that they’ll try to avoid sleeping in it.

Will the Yankees trade A-Rod this offseason?
View Results
Categories : Hot Stove League, Polls

1. eric k says:

Sadly,I think we’ve reached the point where there needs to be a breakup.

As a human being, I can’t imagine how awful it is ($ aside) to be Alex Rodriguez right now. It has to be absolute torment.

Imagine if this happened to you at your job. If someone said you could make the same $, but have less stress and less misery elsewhere- wouldn’t you want it?

• Mark in VT says:

Agreed. But business is business. So if the Yanks can’t replace him without selling the farm or going well beyond their supposed cap of 2014, then they shouldn’t. He is an average to better-than average 3B.

• Chris says:

I don’t see why they would trade him unless its something we don’t know about which is forcing this. If the Yankees eat 15-20 million to move him any 3b fill in will be basically equal to that 15-20 million PLUS whatever you pay him. Is it worth it to have Nunez at 3b for 21 million or A-Rod at 26? At that point why not keep Alex and hope he can have a bit of a turn around like Ortiz? I’d rather see them trade him off of an Ortiz turn around type season vs this. The money they would have to eat alone makes it not worth it.

• CountZero says:

This. Good way of explaining it.

To Mike’s query above, I see that counter-productive point at somewhere above $50MM and below $75MM. I.e., if we only eat $10MM per year I would do it — but if we eat $15MM per year I wouldn’t.

2. Robert says:

Buster mentioned A-Rod for Buerhle and Heath Bell. Presumably with the Yankees paying the excess salary.

3. Mister D says:

Unless you think Joseph or Adams can convert to 3B, it doesn’t really make baseball sense. Eating $75MM or whatever means you have about $8MM saved per year to find a .272/.353/.430 3B.

4. it is not over says:

There is zero chance we get full value in return

most likly we would have to eat around 50M.

I m not sure is it really worth it..

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I’d imagine they’d have to eat a lot more than $50M. Maybe eating $70M would get another team to consider it.

5. Rich in NJ says:

There is almost no way that they will get anywhere near comparable value and there will probably be little or no payroll relief.

Trading him in almost any conceivable scenario would likely be moronic.

6. Plunker says:

Prime example why teams shouldn’t give $275MM contracts to players in their decline years. Alex has handled the situation extremely professionally, and is being treated with zero respect from the organization, media, and a ton of fans. Cano ($14MM), Swisher ($10.25MM), and Granderson ($10MM) are making a lot of money and playing worse than A-Rod. For once, I’m on his side

7. JW says:

Don’t forget, the other issue with his contract are all of the potential HR bonuses, which I think I read add up to about $30 million. I’m not definitively saying he’s going to earn all of it, but it would definitely be a factor in any trade (where money, of course, will be a major issue).

• Laz says:

$6M per milestone. He is pretty much guaranteed 1 of them, and another one is extremely likely. 3rd one is 755, and is possible.

8. Mark in VT says:

I don’t believe it will happen. I voted “No but they should” – under the right circumstances, yes do it. But I think that if the story has gotten this far into the limelight then it’s not happening. This to me has stealth written all over it. This would have been done in secret, much like the LA-Boston trade. I think that it’s done and won’t happen and that is why we all know about it now.

9. Tim says:

He isn’t at the point performance wise where they are better off eating the money and finding a replacement. I doubt they would get enough of a financial savings to go find his replacement with that savings that will outproduce him. He’ll get there one of these years but now that you are past the point of having to bat him 3rd you have crossed the stumbling block of placing him at a more appropriate place in the order.

But they will need to find someone to hit in the 3/4 hole presumably with Teixeira after Robbie leaves as a free agent (please don’t overpay him too).

10. Eddard says:

Of course they should trade him. Joe has no confidence in him to even PH against Phil Coke. He didn’t even start when he had good #s vs Verlander. It’s over for ARod in NY just like it’s over for Swisher. ARod is too big of a distraction. He’s only had one good postseason and he’s a declining player battling through injuries. Dump him on someone else even if you have to eat a bunch of the salary. That’s what you get for giving him that extension in the first place.

11. Dan says:

I don’t think anyone can really answer the poll question without knowing what the money is that will be included in the deal. I would be for trading ARod if they are only pay 50 million because that saves about 12 million per year, but if they are paying over half of the remaining money they would need to get better players/prospects back without taking on dead weight contracts from the Marlins.

• Conor says:

Good point about a trade being all about the savings. It’s hard to imagine another team offering to pay over 50 million for Rodriguez isn’t it? So the Yankees savings would probably be in the 5-8 million a year range with no talent returning. It would be hard to replace Rodriguez’s current production at that level and the Yankees should be going all in next season before Cano is a free agent, Pettite and Rivera retire, and while Jeter, Teixeira and Rodriguez are decent players.

12. cr1 says:

When I visualize Al going out again in pinstripes I hear in my head the very loud sound of stadium speakers giving us Hit The Road Jack — any version you like.

13. Rich in NJ says:

What I would hope they do is consider hiring Rudy Jaramillo as the hitting coach. Not that they are that important, but he has always been A-Rod’s guy, and if anyone has a chance to help him recapture/maximize whatever he has left, it could be him (like Denbo with Jeter).

• Francesa says:

Was it Jaramillo or steroids? I see the Cubs are breaking NL records for team batting since he took over as coach. That’s why they fired him in June.

14. AnthonyD says:

For a goof, and I don’t think he knows anything (literally anything), Bowden suggested Granderson for Rendon. I don’t think WAS would do this in a million years.

15. jjyank (Carsten Charles Cruisin') says:

I didn’t vote, because my opinion isn’t one of the options. I want the Yankees to explore trading A-Rod only if the swindle the Marlins to take on a metric fuck ton of money. Otherwise, keep him.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

…that doesn’t seem like much…according to my favorite definition of a “metric fuckton” on urban dictionary.com http://www.urbandictionary.com.....%20fuckton (number 5, because it’s the first one that included numbers) that would only equate to 128,866 dollars…compared to Alex’s salary, that’s nothing.

• jjyank (Carsten Charles Cruisin') says:

Dr. JJ has his own scale.

• MannyGeee (The Dream is ALIVE!) says:

I think what you were looking for was a metric shit ton: and if you do the conversion via Pounds or EUROs… I think you get the idea.

• King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

A metric fuckton is 10X a fuckload (see definition #1).

When you go to define fuckload, the first example, is “i just won a fuckload of money in the lottery.’

New York’s Mega Millions lottery is at $12,000,000 right now.

10X that is $120,000,000…Arod is owed, how much?

I think we have our proper understanding now.

• I agree. Do your due dilgence and explore the market, see if you can rope someone into eating a ton of the money, and go from there. Unlikely to find a taker, but I’d rather not see them force anything.

16. Ton Lon ton says:

My people say he must be traded no matter the cost, much rather have Bichette Jr manning third base at this point

• Bob Buttons says:

Ah yes to celebrate A-Rod’s departure let’s permanently mess with one of our better prospects.

• Athenian says:

don’t forget, he is only a good prospect now. Give the Yankees a few more years and he will be traded or a total flop. Yankees have that magic touch.

17. Ton Lon ton says:

We can’t stand Arod — Scott Brodius was a better dude

18. Smoltzschmuck says:

Ian oconner throw a tantrum on espn ny because arod was benched and is now being thrown out of town according to him. his logic against benching “arod is still arod and chavez is chavez”. do you have to fail a stupid test to write for espn ny?

• Chip Off the Ol'Knoblauch says:

I’m pretty sure the only reason ESPN NY exists is to troll Yankees and Jets fans. I mean what serious news site would hire O’Conner, Wally Matthews and Andrew Marchand?

• Robinson Tilapia (I Believe in the Big Man!) says:

How much worse is that than “pay the entire salary and trade him for Heath Bell and a pound or ropa vieja from Versailles on Calle Ocho,” though?

• Ghost of Joe Dugan says:

Wait, Ian O’Conner wanted the Yankees to dump A-Rod for Cody Ransom in early 2009 and now he’s upset because he’s been benched. What a tool.

• Kiko Jones says:

Not a fan of ESPN but don’t disagree w/ O’Connor this time. (His analogy is similar to David Cone’s “you pitch to the name”, btw.) Girardi sat A-Rod for a guy who’s hitting even less than A-Rod and kept him on the bench vs a pitcher (Verlander) who he’s had success this year.
      In hindsight Torre’s dissing of A-Rod in ’06 is nothing compared to this.

• Deep Thoughts says:

I dunno man. Have you compared their bat speed over the past few weeks? Maybe Girardi figured Chavez just had a better chance of getting around on some fastballs. Alex has been late on everything esp. on the outside.

19. Graig not Craig says:

POLARIZING. Good word choice. The survey results so far prove it. I feel internally polarized when I think about A-Rod. I am repulsed by his contract, his steroid use, his strange behavior, and his decline. However, I must confess that he is one of the best to play the game, and he has had some very good days for the Yankees. I also wonder if his decline is due to injuries, and if the guy could regain a modicum of his past success if he could regain his health and strength. So, part of me wants to see him on another team. But another part of me wants to see him retire in pinstripes.

20. Drew says:

Said this earlier:

I think at a certain point it would be counter productive to trade away Alex just for the sake of trading him. No team is going to take on all or most of his salary and paying a player $114 million to play for someone else is just beyond stupid, especially since the Yankees has the 2014 budget to consider. Add the fact they would need to find (and pay) another player to play 3B. While Alex probably tops out as a .270/330/800 20-25HR 70-85 RBI type of player, there is still value in that. He will never live up to the contract, but everyone knew that already. Not saying fans shouldn’t boo him when he (or any player) under performs but I think getting rid of him hurts more than it helps. Although, if there was no salary worries, then this is another story entirely.

• MannyGeee (The Dream is ALIVE!) says:

this is still 100% correct. Trading him at any cost is a mistake. Trading anyone at an cost is a mistake, go ask the Red Sox post Youk.

The Wil Middlebrooks era began with a real thud…

21. Bavarian Yankee says:

voted “no, but they should”

I think they should trade him if possible but only if the other team pays like 55-60 million. Otherwise it’s probably better to keep him. He’s still an above average 3B but the recent struggles show you that he could also be completely useless in the very near future.

22. Bob Buttons says:

At this point it would be better if the Yankees traded A-Rod, partially because at this point some fans are gunning for A-Rod’s head. If he kept playing in New York he will continue to be under-appreciated (once you look past the salary) and over-hatedTM (this term is now trademarked by the way). We need to set him free like we did Burnett. We deserve better and so does he.

23. AnthonyD says:

Am I the only that finds the humor in Levine’s “You can have him comment”? Can you go with him Randy? Bring Lonn with you.

• Deep Thoughts says:

It is funny. And if you have ever heard Wallace Matthew’s lunkheaded questions at Girardi’s press conferences, it will come as no surprise that beat reporters could be dumb enough to mistake an obviously sarcastic diss for an earnest trade proposal.

I question whether Wally Matthews could count to 21 with his fly up.

24. Mike in VT says:

The idea that there is a point at which eating money is counterproductive is just wrong. It is a sunk cost. You are paying that no matter what. Do you want him to hit 230 and kill you lineup too?

People say no one would walk away from that much money. But there must be a point after years and years of making 25 million a year, is the next 30 million worth year after year of ridicule and booing. None of us would
    Ike year after year of everyone hating us. We wouldn’t walk away fom millions. But you do eventually get rich enough that not being subject to this is worth it.

25. fin says:

I think they will try like hell to get rid of him at virtually all costs, even getting $25m in salary relief. With his declining play, I think it may be this offseason or never. If he declines any further, the only way they get rid of him is going to be to cut him, as no one will trade for him. I’m not even sure they can get $25m in relief as whatever team takes him probably wont get any value from him in the last 3 years or so of his contract.

26. Athenian says:

On top of the rain out, this issue with ARod just makes this organization a laughing stock right now. Talk about dysfunctional, misguided, and utterly embarrassing; thank fully there are the Red Sox and their band of quitters and whiners.

But the two mighty teams of the AL are now just…sad. What a mess!

I do think that Randy Levine should just run everything. He is a collossal fuck up and a douche bag to boot so he would be fit to keep this nonsense going.

27. emac2 says:

I would consider trading Tex and moving Arod to 1st.

• MannyGeee (The Dream is ALIVE!) says:

doesn’t fix the perceived problem.

• Jim Is Bored(CC the Savior) says:

Holy crap emac is back!

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

How does moving to 1st base improve Alex’s ability to put the bat on the ball?

• emac2 says:

My theory is that no one is hitting and Tex hasn’t been any better than arod over the last few years but has more trade value.

Tex gets you more in trade and Arod probably gives you more than Tex at 1st.

Personally I would let swish go, buy out granderson, trade Tex, move arod to first and resign Ichiro if money isn’t a concern to him. I would trade arod if someone wants to pay 10 mil a year of his deal but I’m not interested in expensive garbage in return.

• Dr. Vinny Boombatz says:

K, let’s say we trade Tex and move A-Rod to 3rd. Do we let Chavez\Nix man 3b? Or if we Trade Tex…and don’t resign Swisher (we shouldn’t) We can leave A-Rod at 3rd and have Chavez at 1b. However, we still have the issue of A-Rod’s continued decline. I say he has 2 pretty good years left (at best) what happens during the last 3 yrs of his contract (if he doesn’t\won’t retire). Also, our defense would decline at 1b. Although Tex has been a disappointment BA-wise his HR\RBI numbers are consistent. Finally, Tex is 4 years 9 months younger. So no, I can’t agree.

• emac2 says:

Arod is a sunk cost and only costs you a roster spot at this point. Tex on the other hand has value but hasn’t hit his contract since he’s been here and with a older Arod the 1b/dh slots get clogged.

Personally I would trade some of our young pitching for a young 3b and resign Chavez. Arod could also play at third on a part time basis.

There aren’t great answers but trading Tex solves more of them for less money than trading Arod

28. RossA says:

The big question is his health. I believe the decline is due to the hip injury, no matter what Girardi says. If you don’t have legs under you – and the injury has to slow his hip shift some – you can’t swing the bat as fast as when you do.

The same injury ended Lowell’s career.

If there is a chance that he still has room to improve, health-wise, we might get productive seasons out of him.

But I don’t think that will happen. And he’s just gonna get worse, especially fielding.

I think you dump him however you can, because while you might not get equal value, you open up roster flexibility.

This is not the Yankee way, I realize. The Yankees don’t ever “clean house” or rebuild. They keep patching and repairing the existing wall.

But I would rather not have any more slow guys who need DH time than necessary. I would rather dump him and hopefully save at least some $$ so that, say, they could resign Swisher and Granderson, or have it in the bank to go for other free agents.

• Jonathan says:

His defense at 3B is actually fine and he was hitting above average before being injured. The injury that derailed him this year was a HBP breaking his hand, nothing chronic or age-related. Frankly it seems that he hasn’t recovered fully, and for that reason it seems silly to project his playoff performance and the team’s willingness to sit him as evidence that he’s done. The team has handled this absolutely terribly though, saying nothing about their intentionand allowing the crowd, particularly the sensationalist media and the fans who only tune in for the playoffs, to direct the conversation.

• King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

If they’re just going to burn the money resigning swisher, just frickin leave him where he is…

29. Ben says:

with all that is going on, he hasn’t said ONE bad word. Not one. I think after all is said is done A-Rod will come out of this whole mess looking better than ever. Hitting on these girls nonetheless. Personally i could care less about it. Also since (and this is stolen from somewhere) 2000 the yankees haven’t won the WS without A-rod delivering, it’s about time someone else does that.

• TomH says:

Yes, ARod looks fine through all this. The Yankees look like hell. Many of the fans look like sheep being herded by a dog.

• Chip Off the Ol'Knoblauch says:

Agreed. My favorite quote from Alex in the link Mike provided:

“I really feel that in my heart, anytime I’m in that lineup the team is a better team, without any question,” he said. “We’ll disagree there to the end, but I like Joe. I support Joe. Our job right now is to come together like a family. There’s tons of distractions, there’s a lot of wedges trying to be driven between us, and it’s not going to happen. We’re here to win a game. Our focus is to win one game tonight. I will be ready, I will be available, and if we win tonight, I like our chances.”

Sounds like a guy who’s dying to play, but respects the decision. He could’ve went in so many other directions with all that media crap flying around.

• MannyGeee (The Dream is ALIVE!) says:

“… there’s a lot of wedges trying to be driven between us… ”

Poor choice of words considering he was trying to pick up on a pair of blondes during a game, and envisioned himself in the middle of them, like said wedge.

• Chip Off the Ol'Knoblauch says:

If they’re as attractive as reports say they are, I’d sign up to be that wedge any day. But yea, some of those wedges he did manufacture in typical A-Rod fashion. At least he’s use to it by now.

• Deep Thoughts says:

Whatever. When A-Rod ditched Madonna for Kate Hudson in 2009, he went full-on Beast Mode and carried the team. Hitting on hot blondes was a brilliant way to try to jump-start a hitting streak.

• BaltimoreYankee says:

Actually, ARod was not on the 2000 Yankees.

30. Foment says:

There is no Free Agent option worth the hassle. The return from any acquiring team would be poor, the replacement would be poor, and there isn’t a strong motivating factor beyond him being overpaid.

No Alex isn’t worth what he’s making, but if the Yanks are going to pay him either way, why would they take lesser production at 3B? He’s an adequate fielder and he’s an average/above average bat.

• RossA says:

Because he will get worse. Better to let him go a year too early than a year too late.

• MannyGeee (The Dream is ALIVE!) says:

well, in theory this would have been the truth in 2007. we are already a year too late. The allure (perceived or otherwise) in A Rod is being able to get a good to really good A Rod with the Yankees paying the tab for it.

31. Herby says:

Might be more interesting to keep him next year, see if he has any sort of bounce back year…and then trade him off to a club before the trade deadline…either in July, or August. I don’t think you’d see a club put a waiver claim in on him

• fin says:

That would be a fine plan if it worked and Arod had no say in the matter. The fact is, that if Arod is playing well, the odds of him accepting a trade are slim to none and if he continues to decline you are now stuck with him for the duration of that contract.

32. 0 for infinity and beyond says:

HEARD IT HERE FIRST…

A-Rod retires and he and Manny Ramirez front a group to buy the Red Sox

• MannyGeee (The Dream is ALIVE!) says:

oh this would be AWESOMMMMMMME. Just to hear all the Boston faithful go from “Hez a Choakah!” to “A-Rawd is the Sawx SAviahhhhhhh”!

(Yes I live here, and yes they really do sound like Peter Griffin/Ted)

33. Dr. Vinny Boombatz says:

Well Yankee mgmt. but themselves in this position. Now they have to pay the price one way or another. I think he still has a couple of productive years left and he plays a good 3b. That would be fine if he only had 2 years left on his deal. But…he has 5 yrs left. So, if we can get someone to take him even if we have to eat 90m it is still worth it based on 2 facts: 1) Yanks don’t have to pay for any HR or other bonuses 2) If after 2 years he is completely shot and won’t retire…what do they do then? Also, any LT deal for Cano; Granderson or Swisher is out. I say let Granderson and Swisher walk and pickup Cano’s 2013 club option…that gives the Yanks 1 more year to consider a deal. Also let Freddy; Jones, Martin and Feliciano walk…Total saved (minus buyouts) on all 6 = a cool 35m. Re-sign Ibanez; Ichiro; Chavez and Nix. New 3b will be Nix\Nunez unless someone better can be found. Nunez can hit…he has to improve his glove work. New OF = Ibanez LF\DH Gardner in CF; Ichiro in RF (we will also need a backup\platoon for LF etc.) Dickerson or Mesa? C = Cervelli\Stewart\Romaine. We be losing a lot of HR’s but we will also be losing a lot of K’s (Granderson especially). Yankees will hopefully become a better small ball team. Their RISP is horrible…if not for all the HRs they would look even worse. That is my plan for the 2013 Yankees. Thanks for listening.

34. Joe M says:

Where the hell are Yankees going to get an average 3B? There’s no way they can replace his production. Everyone is going apeshit over a bad post season. He still hit 14% better than an average player this year! (wRC+ = 114). Come on. He should be playing right now and he should be the Yankees 3B for the foreseeable future.

• Luisergi says:

They probably won’t find an avg. 3rd for next year, but for 2015, 2016 and 2017 they might.

• mitch says:

Replacing his production should be the last thing taken into consideration. I think you gladly exchange a year or two of decreased 3B production in exchange for 5 years of increased roster/payroll flexibility, and of course decreased distraction.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

replacing the production of a player traded away is less important that off the field and media distractions? That tells me a lot about you. You would really take a lesser player on the team just to get Alex off of it…that’s literally the definition of putting a player before a team. That statement tells me you hate A-Rod more than you like the Yankees.

• mitch says:

this is an example of terrible reading comprehension. The distraction comment was clearly secondary to the first part.

Here it is again…you deal with the potential drop off for a year or two in exchange for better production the next three or four.

• Robinson Tilapia (I Believe in the Big Man!) says:

So who is this mystery player whose production later on is worth it you get back?

• mitch says:

when have the yankees ever had trouble finding productive players?

• Robinson Tilapia (I Believe in the Big Man!) says:

That’s not an answer to my question.

According to many of the commenters here, the answer is somewhere between “never” and “they’re ruined by Nardi Contreras on the flight over anyway.”

• mitch says:

are you really looking for specific names? It probably won’t be someone as good as arod…i’ll give you that. But there’s literally no precedent for productive 3Bs 41 and over. Arod’s production has declined and injuries have increased over the last few years. There’s no reason think he’ll be the exception. They’ll still have to find a new 3B over the next couple years whether arod is here or not.

• fin says:

Ehh, thats misleading. His numbers were better when he was DH’ing. The overall production at third base needs to be taken into account. What did 3b produce as a whole as Arod misses alot of games every year and DH’s. A new 3b guy might not be quite as good as Arod’s numbers but may be able to play 150+ games and out produce a combination of Arod and Nix. Chavez kind of throws a wrench in the numbers because he was so good, but what are the odds he plays next year and if he does, that he produces anything remotely like he did this year?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

If we’re paying to get rid of him then yes I agree, keep him. If someone wants to help us eat salary then by all means trade him immediately.

35. Peter says:

Would 1-2 years of part-time play push him to retirement? What’s the trade-off in humiliation vs money? Money is major but 5 years is a long time.

• Graig not Craig says:

Why retire? A-Rod could just sit in the dugout eating sunflower seeds and scoping out women while collecting his absurd salary.

• Lee says:

I won’t be a favorite on this board, but the Yankees made this bed. Now they have to lay in it. This contract was an albatross the day it was signed. They should’ve known his downfall was coming. No one else was going to pay anywhere near what they signed him for.

36. Pete says:

Never mind the money – I’d rather the Yankees just stop having to deal with this constant distraction. Even Reggie only stuck around for 5 years, folks.

• Herby says:

Which is why I think it’s such a joke that Reggie was put in Monument Park..his poor ego couldn’t deal with having to play with Dave Winfield…

• Pete says:

Him and Guidry, although one could argue Guidry deserves to be there over Reggie being that he spent his entire career with the team. George went a little nuts with the monuments, needless to say.

37. Bobby Richardson says:

Off hand I would eat half the salary with no return. They can begin to transition Jeter or more likely Cano to third. Fill in Nunez/CoJo/Adams. Sadly, they should be able to fill in the breaking down ARod future production.

• Jim Is Bored(CC the Savior) says:

No one’s going to spend 10+ million for what A-Rod is providing right now.

You’d have to eat at least 3/4 unless you’re taking on another unpleasant salary in return.

38. Jim Is Bored(CC the Savior) says:

Find me a replacement before you tell me how much you want to trade him.

• Bavarian Yankee says:

should’ve traded for Headley at the trade deadline but I guess that train left the station after his monster 2nd half.

39. Tino!_24 says:

Anyone remember what happened after the Yankees did not re-sign Reggie? He had a resurgence.. just going from memory.. I believe 39 homers his first year with the Angels and lead the Angels to a couple of AL East Titles. Steinbrenner admitted the mistake in letting him go.
    Reggie was also benched in the postseason I believe in ’81. One thing about Reggie though, when he was knocked down or challenged he responded big time.
    I would love for Arod to be given a chance today. Let’s see if he has any fight… just give him one more chance. If he is not motivated now he will never be and then we will know. Not going to be able to tell by sitting on the bench.

40. kevin w. says:

I say they will but they shouldn’t. Everyone is getting caught up in a weeks worth of games. He might not be an MVP anymore, but he is a productive player. .270, 25, 80 might not be worth $30 million, but it makes the line-up deeper. However, I will understand if they do make the move. Maybe the team needed this kind of post-season to happen to see that stacking the line-up with homerun hitters isn’t the way to go. Kind of like the Red Sox last season, as much as i’m sure these last two season have sucked for their fans and as much this post season has disappointed, maybe we needed to see something like this to shake-up the organization a little and move into a new era with how they manage the team.

If they did make a move, i’d like to see them move Cano to third to maybe help him age better and then have Nunez play full time. Other than the outfield second is probably the only play Nunez can play full time without being exposed. As a second basemen, .265, 10 HR, 35 SB would be extremely valuable.

• fin says:

Those are pretty aggressive numbers to project going forward. He has hit 18 and 16 HR’s the last 2 yrs. He has driven in 62 and 57 runs the last 2 years and you are projecting him for 25 and 80. Also, how much of his production is comming at 3b and how much at Dh? I think its very possible to find a 3b that can strengthen the overall 3b production going forward. I dont really care either way, as I dont think there is going to be a clear upgrade at 3b if they get rid of Arod for the next year or two. I also think if the overall production suffers at 3b for a year or two it can be made up in roster flexibility…for example, bringing in a full time DH or giving Jeter more DH AB’s while allowing Nunez to get time at SS ect.

• kevin w. says:

I was basing on a full season worth of at-bats since you can’t naturally predict or assume injuries. If he had been healthy, he should have easily reached those numbers.

41. Marcy says:

This has been such a debacle – such as an embarrassment not only to Alex but to the organization. I can’t believe how angry Cashman has made me — I was never a big A-Rod fan though that 2007 season & the 2009 postseason were 2 of the most incredible spans I can remember.
    While the whole opt-out during the World Series just drove me nuts, and many other of Alex’s antics bother me on the field and off overall he has been a great player. And if you were to ask me who is handling this in a classier way the Yankees or ARod? No question it’s Alex.
    The contract isn’t his fault – that was all Hank & co and now they realize they made a mistake so the embarrass him – practically neuter him in front of the world? I hated the way they treated Jeter – not because of the amount of money but because they tried to get Yankee fans to turn on him by leaking the negotiations.
    This has that old creepy feeling of free agents wondering if this is a place they’re going to want to play especially because they aren’t going to be spending the type of money to lure guys like they did before.
    I understand pinch-hitting for him because he wasn’t doing anything and Joe was going for that spark but since then – I find it inconceivable that Alex didn’t play against Verlander w/his numbers against him this year. I also understand that he may not have the power due to the broken hand but I think it has affected the clubhouse. Remember when CC was asked (maybe 2 weeks or so ago) who was the biggest lose to injury this year – his answer was ARod. This is not the Jeter v ARod divided clubhouse that it was years ago – those guys are gone and now so is Derek. Tex and Alex are friends, Cano looks up to ARod, Ibanez looks up to ARod (think of his response when he learned he was pinch-hitting for Alex – he thought he must be hurt), Chavez has said a million times that he came to NY because he could only be a part-time player and he liked the idea of backing up ARod. Everyone on that team has to be wondering what’s going on? Who’s next?
    Unfortunately Alex hasn’t hit Scherzer in the past but he’s a 5 inning pitcher now – so if they bring in Smyly do they leave Alex on the bench? Do they not want to win? I don’t understand – it just feels like there’s something else there. When Derek went down it should have been ARod that sort of captained this team – he’s the longest tenured Yankee on the active roster. But they made sure that couldn’t happen – it sounds like Tex has tried to step in but Tex isn’t Alex or what Alex was in stature in the game of baseball or apparently in the clubhouse. It’s hard for me to believe that the team is willing to lose to embarrass him which again leads me to believe something else is going on.
    Alex has a no-trade + he’s a 5 & 10 guy – it’s really up to him if he wants to leave and if he wants extra money from the Yankees to do it. Clearly they want to make him so uncomfortable that he should want to leave and I don’t think they would do that unless they had some sort of business plan of how they could do it but without question I believe they’re not only embarrassing Alex but embarrassing the organization and not putting their team in the best situation to win.
    Let’s say they actually get through this series – or even to a game 7 – does anyone think Chavez could play everyday through game 7 w/o getting hurt? This makes 0 sense.
    It also makes 0 sense to have Nunez @ SS behind CC and if they get to Andy – he can’t be in the field unless Nix is hurt because he’s an Error waiting to happen and both these pitchers need a SS who can make not only the double-play but…ahhhh!
    They’re making me crazy. Chavez hasn’t gotten a hit – Cashman going into talk to the press yesterday and give the lineup before Girardi told it all.

• Andy says:

Couldn’t agree more. The way the Yankees are handling Alex is disgusting. The only silver lining is how well he’s handling this. It’s really impressive.

• Robinson Tilapia (I Believe in the Big Man!) says:

I saw the length of the comment and automatically assumed I wasn’t going to agree with it, but I agree with about 80% of this other than the guesses as to “effect on the clubhouse.”

• Jim Is Bored(CC the Savior) says:

I did the same thing but didn’t read it.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Right, I saw the block post, and Marcy’s name at the top and figured this is going to be a couple 100 words I completely disagree with. No offense to Marcy, you just seem overcritical and ledge-jumpy at times. However, I actually agree with a lot of the thoughts there.

42. Ghost of Mariano Rivera says:

Take Brian Cashman, too!

43. Chip Off the Ol'Knoblauch says:

Agreed! I love this quote from Alex in the link Mike provided:

Sounds like a guy who wants to play, but respects the manager’s decision. So many other routes A-Rod could’ve taken with all the media crap flying around him.

44. Murderers' Row Boat says:

Do it. He’s not getting younger, better, healthier. In fact the only thing he is getting is more and more like the old douchebag A-Rod we saw before he came to the Yankees. Let him go to Miami where he can pick up chicks at the nightclub in left center and leave the baseball to baseball players.

45. Marcy says:

1 other thing – and I know I was already long. MLB network analysts, ESPN analysts, TNT analysts and every other ballplayer asked has said the Yankees are wrong and doing Alex and the team a disservice.
    Even Leland asked and Verlander was surprised he wasn’t in there.

46. Hall and Nokes says:

I’m not in favor of trading him without having a plan for an adequate replacement, but I’m also not that enthusiastic about having someone whose best case scenario (IMO) is to be Chipper Jones at twice the price for the next several years.

47. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

I hate to ask the obvious and stupid question, but didn’t we all know this was coming? Didn’t we all predict this when he signed a 10 year deal? Don’t you think Cashman et al knew this was coming–I mean, come on…we’re smart folks but our hive mind doesn’t quite fill the 40 man if you know what I mean.

So basically, we knew this was coming, here it is, and NOW we’re all pissed off? Sure it got here a few years earlier than we thought, but…too bad.

• fin says:

Eh, the contract was signed in the steroid area when people were getting better in their 40′s than they were in their 30s. I think we expected the contract to be ugly for the last few years, not 7 of the 10 years. I think the hip injury is the main culprit here. I think Arod would have been a very good player up to now without that injury.

• Mike HC says:

The contract was obviously terrible then, but it was signed before ARod got caught for using steroids. Part of ARod’s allure at the time was that he was the best “clean” player in the game. That obviously all changed. Again, not saying the contract wasn’t terrible at the time anyway.

48. Anthony says:

I’m really surprised with the amount of people that think he should be traded. I’m not his biggest fan but to me it doesn’t make any sense. We will probably wind up eating a large portion of his salary, and at the same time will need to find a replacement for him. Wouldn’t they wind up costing us more?

49. No and they shouldn’t.

50. Andy says:

Am I the only one who could care less about this trying to get a girl’s number story? He was already out of the game. How long does it take to write a note on a baseball? He probably did it without missing a pitch. As usual, this would be a complete non story if it were anyone else. To me, Alex’s only mistake is not realizing that doing something like that will be a story because it’s him, even if it shouldn’t be one, how ever unfair.

• Chip Off the Ol'Knoblauch says:

I’m with ya on that. This whole thing is completely blown out of proportion. Bad timing? Definitely. ALCS altering? Nope.

51. mitch says:

Let’s not make him out to be irreplaceable either. He’s missed 100 games over the last 2 years and has on 119 OPS+…he probably has a couple above-average years left, but it’s almost certain the last couple years of the contract he’ll be a $25 million replacement-level player.

52. Marcy says:

No, you’re not the only 1. I couldn’t care less either and no one should. This was a leak by the Yankees to the Post – just like the Jeter negotiations were leaked.
    It’s ugly on the part of the Yanks and means NOTHING he wasn’t in the game anymore.

53. Yankeefan says:

this makes me so sad :( im 21 years old and i grew up been a fan of arod ever since he was in seattle hes always been my favorite player this is gonna suck if hes traded.

54. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I think a trade should be explored, but not at any cost. He’s still an above average 3B who will probably outperform any replacement next season (unless they pull off a blockbuster deal for Headley – unlikely). If they are able to find a team to eat a chunk of the contract, the trade off for next year might be worth it in the long run.
    I think at best, ARod will be worth about 10 WAR over the remaining 5 years of his contract (probably overly optimistic) at a market value of around $50M. If they can get a team to take near that amount, maybe even just $35-40M, it would probably be worth it long term to move ARod, even if they must endure lesser production at 3B for the next year or two. If they can’t get a team to take even that much of his contract, the Yankees would probably be better off keeping him for now, and then releasing him if he continues to decline over the next few years.

55. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Most ridiculous trade scenario I think I’ve ever concocted. Yankees trade Alex to the Marlins for Mark Buehrle, Heath Bell, taking on all the money of all three contracts, and The Marlins also give us Stanton for taking on all the money (and a relatively productive 3rd baseman)…then we turn around and trade Banuelos, Nunez, Hughes, Nova/Phelps/Warren, and one of Mason Williams or Tyler Austin for Chase Headley.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

step 3. Profit.

• Robinson Tilapia (I Believe in the Big Man!) says:

Again, would anyone in Miami really notice if Stanton was suddenly wearing Yankee pinstripes?

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Probably not…they’re probably second only behind Tampa in “how little of a shit a city can give about their baseball team.”

• Robinson Tilapia (I Believe in the Big Man!) says:

Most popular team in Miami: The Dolphins
          Second most popular team: Hurricane football
          Still #3: The Heat
          #4: Guys playing dominoes in Little Havana
          #5: The Marlins

Give us Stanton. No one will notice.

• Kosmo says:

If Headley signs an extension which has been reported to be a distinct possibility, then a possible trade for the Padres highly touted 3B prospect Jedd Goryko could happen. He´s MLB ready and wouldn´t require the same boatload of prospects that Headley would.

• Mike HC says:

You are right. Both of those trades are ridiculous and poor trades for the Yanks. We would be left in a terrible situation and no farm system. The second trade in particular is just highway robbery in favor of the Padres.

56. Marcy says:

My last comment was supposed to be a response to Andy.

Did anyone just hear Girardi? That tells you all you need to know – Joe is a total puppet.

57. ROBTEN says:

I have to say, the playoffs have become depressing this year. It’s not just the losing, but the way the team is “Red Sox-ing” ARod right now. The leaks, the ongoing benching even when other hitters are playing worse….it’s clear that one way or another something is going to change.

To be honest, I think ARod’s problem right now is either physical (he’s still hurting from the broken hand) and/or mechanical. I could be mistaken, but I’ve noticed that he seemed to be using a higher leg kick, perhaps as a means for generating additional power. As a result, perhaps combined with or a result of difficulty holding the bat, his timing is entirely off.

Whatever happens, I am glad to be able to say that I saw one of the best, and perhaps most under appreciated, hitters of our time play for the Yankees.

58. Robinson Tilapia (I Believe in the Big Man!) says:

I voted “no, and they shouldn’t,” which is 100% how I feel, but is the closest. I think you’d be fool not to test the market and see if there’s a team who’d take on the money and thinks he’d drive up attendance (paging Mr. Loria indeed.) However, I have my massive reservations that a scenario exists in which trading Alex Rodriguez makes this team better, not if it involves paying too much salary or taking on someone’s albatross in return. I still believe that, healthy, he can be a productive player for longer than anyone seems to give him credit for.

I’m glad Ibanez won that game for us. Anything involving Alex since has been pure bananas and, honestly, one place where I think Girardi’s gone apeshit nuts.

59. TopChuckie says:

The argument in favor of trading ARod because you get out of paying his HR incentives is ridiculous. If he is still able to achieve those milestones, you most definitely want to keep him because he would have to perform to get there, in which case you ARE getting what you are paying for. The worst case scenario is someone else pays for those milestones.

I think there are three reasons he has been the one getting benched the most and made out to be the scapegoat. One, the stated reason, they believe he is the only slumping player with a viable alternative on the roster in Chavez. Two, I think his performance is injury related and therefore there is less hope that he will snap out of it. Cano, Granderson, and Swisher are all healthy and have the potential to get hot. Three, the media wants ARod to be the scapegoat because it sells.

I think ARod is hurt/not fully healed and should be kept around for that reason and because there’s no better course of action to replace him under the circumstances. It may seem like too much toothpaste is out of the tube, but if he played today and came through, everyone would be back on his side. Or, if he came to spring training healthy and was able to be productive again, everyone would get behind him and say they knew he could do it. All it takes to put this behind him is success and I believe he still has some in him.

• TopChuckie says:

Actually the worst case is if they trade him and part of the deal is the Yankees still pay for the milestones as he reaches them on someone else’s team.

• Robinson Tilapia (I Believe in the Big Man!) says:

That first paragraph may be the most intelligent thing ever said on this site.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

The performance bonuses do factor in.
      If he achieves all of the bonuses, they likely would have been better off keeping him.
      But he can get $12M in bonuses just by averaging 13.4 HR’s a year for his last 5 years. That’s not really a performance level they should be terribly worried about losing.

• Hall and Nokes says:

If he achieves all of the bonuses, then they definitely would have been better off keeping him. I’m beginning to seriously doubt that he even gets to 700 anytime soon, though. At a 3.5% home run rate (his combined rate for the last 2 years), it will take him 1,515 more PAs to get there. Personally, I don’t think you can count on him for more than 500 PA’s a year anymore, so that’s 3 seasons unless he finds some power he hasn’t had since 2010.

• Nicely stated. I don’t buy that him being pulled from the lineup was at all media-related though. I certainly hope not. The first two reasons are much more likely to have been what did it.

• TopChuckie says:

I agree, I think the first two reasons are why he’s on the bench, but I think the media has made ARod the scapegoat by harping on the alleged flirting, dredging up the trade rumor/joke from the past, and running with trade scenarios when there really probably aren’t any and the team has said so. I do blame the team in not squashing all the negativity by not being more assertive in stating ARod is seeing the least PT of all the slumping players because he’s the only one with a viable alternative, he’s the only one with injury concerns, he’s the one most vulnerable to RH pitchers, and they have no intention of trading him, have had no talks, and fully believe he will come to ST healthy and be everything they expect him to be. ARod has done his part to promote unity, now it’s the team’s turn, Girardi, Cashman, and Levine, maybe even the brothers. Stick up for your own.

• Chip Off the Ol'Knoblauch says:

Well said.

• Kosmo says:

it will take arod 3 more years to catch Ruth if he´s lucky. Sorta anti-climactic.

60. Andy says:

Do people see the irony here? I thought Alex is supposed to be selfish and not a team player and yet the Yankees organization is the one putting winning second to embarrassing Alex so he agrees to leave NY. So ridiculous.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

How have they put winning second?
      By not playing someone who has been completely overmatched against RHP against RHP? Isn’t that putting winning first?

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

No you idiot, can’t you see! A guy who’s gone 0-18 w/ 12 Ks against righties is the Yanks BEST CHANCE of winning tooday’s game and the series!

Not only has he gone 0-18, he’s looked completely lost at the plate. Yeah Chavez is an 0-fer also, but he’s at least hit the ball out of the infield a couple times.

I really think it’s a wash on who to play today, honestly, and I’m not for trading Alex without getting a large amount of salary relief in return (unlikely). It’s stupid how so many people here can’t see how it makes sense baseball-wise not to start him against hard-throwing righties.

• Marcy says:

Andy – I don’t know who you are but it seems we are in TOTAL agreement and I don’t understand why/how others aren’t seeing it.

• Maybe we’re seeing it from a pure production perspective. He’s 0 for 18 with 12 K’s vs right-handers.

• Chip Off the Ol'Knoblauch says:

It’s just not the 0 for 18 either. Even during the year his OPS has been down significantly vs right handers. Chavez has been adequate against RHP and is a viable replacement. It’s as simple as that.

• Andy says:

Totally. Because everyone hates Alex and he’s always wrong. I hope he goes to Miami and crushes the ball. (Ok not really, I really want him to stay a Yankee, but I don’t see how after the way they’re treating him).

61. Luisergi says:

No stuart a yet? gotta say i’m surprised.

• Robinson Tilapia (I Believe in the Big Man!) says:

Syms is having a clearance sale on 1960′s era ties.

• jjyank (Carsten Charles Cruisin') says:

Holy shit…no joke, as soon as I read this, one of my coworkers says to me:

“I wanna throw a party tonight. No, a parade. I want a parade.”

I swear to Mo I’m not kidding.

62. JonS says:

Alex and Ozzie Guillén would be awesome together (for entertainment purposes). I’d follow their media just to see that.

• Robinson Tilapia (I Believe in the Big Man!) says:

Their media consists of Dan Lebetard aaaaaaaand……a guy who thought Jimmy Buffett was playing.

63. Dixon Hurbut says:

DUMP THAT BUM STEROID CHEAT

64. Jim Cavanaugh says:

You can bring him back since return value will suck … Tell Alex “We believe in you & feel confident you are going to have a great year next year” ! Then let him play the season, hopefully at a high level … then drop him from the post season roster. Problem solved.

65. Liam says:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but there should be a poll option for:

“No, because they can’t…

…But they should.”

66. Yazman says:

Mike, you said “there is a point where eating so much money is counterproductive … ($50M? $75M? $110M?)”

The answer to your question depends on the amount eaten.

$50 million? They won’t (because they can’t), but they should (if they could).

$110M? They won’t and they shouldn’t.

67. Bill says:

I’m going to repeat what I said in an earlier thread – maybe earlier this week. There’s nothing wrong with always keeping an open ear to the market to see what people will give (or how much they will spend). But trading A-Rod makes no sense unless (a) teams will give up a ton for no reason or (b) you simply hate A-Rod irrationally. He still performs better than the average third baseman at the plate and in the field. He’s in a slump, but the slump may or may not be related to the broken hand he just had; multiple members of the team are performing just as badly (if not worse).

Sure, he’s overpaid but that money is likely to be a sunk cost at this point. Teams are going to want Yankees to pick up at least 75% of his contract plus take back horrible contracts. For example, why in God’s name would we want to assume most of his cost *and* trade him for junk like Heath Bell?

If we’re surprisingly offered a very good player or a hot prospect or two, then maybe you think about dumping his salary. If you get a ton of contract relief, then you think about dumping him for getting nothing back. If you’re not offered either of the previous two options, there is no danger in holding on to him for another year and seeing if he can improve on his already-above-average wRC+.

• jason says:

Very well stated, Bill. Thanks. The noise on this is getting unbearable. Of all the guys underperforming this post-season, A-Rod is the only one who dealt with a serious injury in the not-too-distant past.

• jason says:

Slight correction re: injury – A-rod only one that is dealing with an injury that we know about. And as I typed my last reply, Cano struck out. Thanks, Robbie, for kind of proving my point.

68. LarryM., Fl. says:

I don’t know the issues with Arod and his inability to play baseball at a high level for a man of 35, or at least and above average level. But the clouds are back and following Arod. Now we expect the team to go out and win one even four games seems impossible task.

69. Jarrod says:

Absolutely they should trade him but ONLY if someone else is prepared to pay a huge chunk of that salary. Of course that won’t happen so they won’t trade him. Nothing to see here. As you were.

70. Conor says:

Lots of good comments here and some less so, but haven’t seen much looking at the big picture. Of the next 5 years, 2013 is clearly the one where the Yankees have the best chance of winning the WS. (Likely last season for Pettite and Rivera, chance for Kuroda to be back, Cano’s walk year, Tex, Jeter, Rodriguez, Sabathia are only a year older)

In 2014 Cano might sign elsewhere or they’ll be other roster costs to drop under the tax line. 2015 and 2016 are likely to be painful (whether we have Rodriguez or are paying someone else to play him) as the kids start to arrive, but we are still a geriatric team.

So since the window is closing rather quickly, we should be focused on winning next season instead of saving money in 2015-2017. The only way it makes since to trade Rodriguez is if the other team gives us a comparably talented player (HA!) or if they are willing to pay most of Rodriguez’s 2013 salary (for instance Miami pays 25 million in 2013 and the Yankees pay 100% of future guaranteed years). Otherwise trading Rodriguez would certainly weaken the 2013 team. And I would be pissed if the Yankees weakened 2013 for a little future savings.

71. detroit_yankee says:

I don’t believe the Yankees should trade Arod (unless they somehow get the steal of the century, which I highly doubt), and really, when one considers the top questions facing NY in the offseason, it should be clear why:

1. Can Jeter rehab and return?
    2. Does Pettitte return or retire?
    3. Does Kuroda re-sign?
    4. Is Swisher Gone?
    5. Does Cano get extended or opt for Free Agency (in another year)?
    6. Can Mo make it back?
    7. Does Soriano opt-out?
    8. Does Martin re-sign or move on?
    9. Can Pineda return and contribute?
    10. Can Gardner contribute?

That’s 2/5s of your current starting rotation; your starting right fielder; your starting shortstop; your current closer (and your former closer); your starting second baseman; your starting catcher; your starting left fielder (or center fielder)…

…and somehow the ledge-jumpers want to add your starting third baseman to that list?

Good luck with that.

72. Warfield42 says:

Ivan Nova/Phil Hughes & A-batross to Florida for Josh Johnson (plus a B level prospect) + the Yanks eat $75 million of A-batross’ bad deal.
    Or substitute David Robertson for one of the aforementioned starters (because Girardi is burnin’ him out & he won’t last at his current level for more than another year or two at best), his trade value will never be better.
    Otherwise, its Nova or Hughes, Robertson or Joba, and Cano to Seattle for the King.