Oct

The second life of Gary Sheffield

Here’s some excellent late-night reading for you night owls. Jack Dickey profiled former Yankee Gary Sheffield for Sports on Earth, looking at his life after retiring from baseball as a player. Sheff is now a player agent with a myriad of investments and businesses around the Tampa area, where he lives. He talked about what he feels was his underappreciated playing career — “In my mind, I know I won five MVPs. I was a better player most times than most of the MVPs were.” — his children, his business plans, all sorts of stuff. It’s a fantastic read and it gets RAB’s highest level of recommendation, so make sure you check it out.

Categories : Asides

1. RocketMan86 says:

Why should I care about that racist bastard, Mike? The man who admits to quitting on his team, cheating with P.E.D.’s, accusing every critic of some deep seated bigotry against him (including Joe Torre) and historic bad clubhouse guy.

Here’s hoping that delusional, derisive and destructive jerk rots in obscurity and exclusion where he belongs.

• Andrew 518 says:

I love the part where he complains about the “cheaters” I guess forgeting the part where he was one of them.

But Gary….

I enjoyed watching him hack (you couldn’t call it a swing) but it’s remarkable that in an entire retrospective of a career at no point can he admit to a single mistake.

I shouldn’t have chased that guy with a bat would be a pretty safe start, but no it was his fault for not giving him another chance.

pretty remarkable character.

2. Pat D says:

Glad to see he’s still completely full of himself.

And I’m going to use WAR as a blunt tool here, but he only had 4 seasons of better than 5 bWAR: 1992 (3rd behind Bonds and Pendleton), 1996 (6th), 2000 (9th) and 2003 (3rd behind Bonds and Pujols).

He finished 2nd for the Yankees in 2004, but looking at bWAR, he shouldn’t have been in the top 20. Lew Ford had better bWAR that year!

3. hornblower says:

I read the article last night on Deadspin. It was hardly worth the time. I was waiting for the part where it gave a reason why anyone would care about this horse’s backside. It never came.

4. Knoxvillain says:

Sheffield was a dick. But I loved him when he played in New York.

5. Nathan says:

From everything that I’ve read, Sheffield was a headcase. But I’ll be damned if I wasn’t a fan of his ultra violent swing and that bat wiggle.

6. dc1874 says:

….should have picked up Vladimir Guerrero instead…life in Yankeeland would have been much..much better..old George bombed on this sign!!!

7. Joe F says:

Bookmarked. I like Sports on Earth. Joe Pos is a favorite of mine so I read that site on occasion.

8. Rich in NJ says:

No one hit more foul HRs.

9. Jarrod says:

That is a cracking read!!

The guy is a joke but I loved that waggle and when he hit em, they stayed hit!

10. cashmoney says:

those lightning quick wrists did hit more foul hrs than fair.. but shef was still a major threat when healthy in NY. a better pure hitter than Arod in his prime imo.

11. RC aka oldmanalex says:

this guy is a total maniac.

12. Cuso says:

Not disputing that he was a dick. But he had a couple of pretty big years to the Yanks. How do you have a in-his-prime A-Rod and a monster Sheffield and not win?

Oh yeah, when you have 2004.

13. WhittakerWalt says:

I loved watching Sheff swing the bat, but MAN what a racist asshole he was (is).

14. RetroRob says:

Sheff is really going to be angry when he’s not voted into the HOF.

15. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

good to know he’s still an arrogant crazy person.

16. Stevis says:

Once an arrogant Schmuck always an arrogant Schmuck

17. Coolerking101 says:

Sheff was never lacking in self-esteem.

Remember when Sheff caused an uproar complaining about how his contract with the Yankees was unfair…even though HE personally negotiated the contract? Yah, that’s the guy I want representing me in contract negotiations.

18. Darren says:

Emblematic of the shitty moves the Yankees made throughout this period. Sheffield, Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Jared Wright. They can all eat a dick. Probably the most unforgiveable move he made was making errors on purpose when he was a Brewer (or Padre?). Fuck him.

• Kevin Ocala, Fl says:

He was with the Brewers when he was throwing balls away. He starts out as a SS, can’t hack it, is moved to third, complains that the Brewers were “messing with his mind” by moving him from his “natural” position at SS. Every time he’d get moved same thing. Total piece of human trash, hopefully he crashes and burns in his business ventures. And I’m not one to wish such things on people. But he was and is low-life scum……oh, and did I mention crazy?

• YanksFanInBeantown says:

Sheff was pretty damn good for the Yankees. 2004 Sheffield would have been the best hitter on our team this year. It’s easy to forget just how good a hitter he was because of the whole “raging asshole” thing he has going on.

19. J6takish says:

He’s just getting started and Jason grilli is currently his biggest client, but I bet sheff is one hell of a negotiator

20. Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

What a total moron. The guy took anabolic steroids but he accuses pitchers who use Toradol of cheating. Toradol is just an injectable non steroidal anti inflammatory like Advil or Aleve.