Nov

Cashman: “Nothing to report” about talks with Rivera

Via George King: Brian Cashman confirmed that there is “nothing to report” about contract talks with Mariano Rivera. It’s been a little more than two weeks since the team’s long-time closer announced that he’ll return next year, but since then we’ve learned the Yankees will offer him a pay cut.

Rivera, who turns 43 later this month, appeared in only nine games this season due to his torn knee ligament. It’s fair to say he’s more of a question mark now than ever before given his age and injury, but the team will obviously welcome him back with open arms. The two sides have a history of contentious negotiations though, including an arbitration hearing and at least two threats to defect to the Red Sox, but I’m hopeful they’ll hammer this thing out before the Winter Meetings early next month.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m going to assume there’s nothing to see here. I can’t imagine anything other than sheer act of God messing this up.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Yeah, I just hope we don’t hear anything other than “Deal Done: Yankees re-sign Mariano Rivera”. I’m not interested in hearing any of the wrangling and contract negotiations that may go on. Keep it quiet, but get it done. (I’m thinking a 1-year, incentive laden deal of around $10M with incentives that could make it worth $15M.)

2. your mom says:

I think it’s the Yankees or retire for Mo. I can’t see him threatening to play for the Red Sox at this point in his career. That being said, just pay the man $15 million next season, if anyone’s ever earned it, it’s him. But just make sure there’s a back-up option(not named Soriano).

• MannyGeee says:

Yeah, he doesn’t really have the Red Sox to lean on as a viable threat anymore. I woulda bought it in 2010 too, but not now.

3. MannyGeee says:

hooray for no news!!!!

4. steves says:

Considering that this has been one boring off-season so far the mind wanders a bit; it’d pure whimsy but the notion of Mo pitching in 2013 season at the age of 43 got me thinking about what fun it would have been if some other storied Yanks played with the Yanks until they were 43 (assuming the same Yankee results).

1) Kubek and Richardson would have played through the 1978 championship team (and Maris through 1977).

2) Mel Stottlemyre would have pitched until 1984 and would have been on all the 70′s/80′s playoff/championship teams.

3) Mattingly would have played until 2004 and would have ended up with 1 less ring than Jeter.

4) Joe D would have played until 1957 and would have been in 15 WS (with 12 rings).

Just passing time until the hot stove takes off!

5. The Real Eddard says:

Cashman should not lowball Mo. I hope to see him closing out games in 2013 with Soriano, Joba, and Aardsma setting up for him.