Nov

Report: Rivera wants to return in 2013

Via George King: Mariano Rivera has informed the Yankees that he wants to pitch again next season. “Rivera contacted us and wants to play,” said Brian Cashman, who admitted to not being surprised by the decision.

Rivera, 43, blew out his knee in early-May and said he wanted to pitch again the next day, but a few weeks ago he told Cashman that he was having second thoughts. The two sides will discuss a contract in the coming week according to King, and this sounds like something that could happen relatively soon. Then again, the Yankees and Rivera have a history of contentious negotiations. Another one-year deal in the $10-15M range is likely in the cards.

Categories : Asides

1. Steve (different one) says:

Great news.

2. AC says:

There we go. Great news. Let Soriano walk now. Let him get his 4 yr @ 60 somewhere else.

• OldYanksFan says:

No way on Earth Sori gets 4 yr @ $60m. 3/$40m is the max he gets.

• jjyank says:

Yeah. Remember he was coming off an amazing 2010 season with the Rays with plenty of saves before he got the 3/36 from the Yankees. Now he’s 2 years older, I doubt he gets significantly more than that.

3. Jorge says:

We knew Mo wasn’t going to let us down. Welcome back, BEST CLOSER EVER. And once again Mariano will show that group of clowns like Rodney, Valverde & Papelbon, how to handle his job with class.

4. Max Power says:

I can’t wait to hear the crowd reaction to the first time the opening bars of Enter Sandman come blaring through the Stadium speakers.

5. Alvaro Espinosa says:

Mo in ’13
    Joba in ’14 & beyond

6. vin says:

We have to get YOUNGER, not OLDER. Cabal can move into the closers roll. I say “See Ya, Mo!”

(Please don’t smite me, Mo… I was only trollin’)

Next step, get #Hirok and Andy to re-up. Then get Torii on a short term deal. Sill not sure why they didn’t offer Martin a QO. Over paying him for one year brings the benefit of buying time with Romine (who looked great in the AFL game I saw) and letting the catcher’s trade market develop, without impacting the austerity budget. Having said that, I have complete faith in the Ninja.

• vicki says:

expect a multi-year deal for russell. if we’re offering bold predictions, i wouldn’t be totally shocked if he retires in pinstripes.

7. jjyank says:

I knew he would. Rivera will get the victory tour he deserves. Sandman will enter again!

8. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

I exhaled.

9. Get Phelps Up says:

There was never really any doubt in my mind that this was coming.

10. Anthony says:

Awesome.

11. Rocky Road Redemption says:

I gotta get to opening day next year.

12. jjyank says:

This may not be practical, but I hope that Mo comes into game 162 of 2013 regardless of the situation. I think it would be a cool moment to let the fans give Mo a proper farewell.

13. Pat D says:

First condition in Mo’s new contract: Thou shalt not shaggeth thine flyballs in thou team’s practice of batting.

14. ColoYank says:

I don’t recall contract negotiations between Mo and the club being contentious very often.

• jjyank says:

Well he did threaten to go to the Red Sox one time. I don’t think anything of that sort will happen this time, though. It’s pretty clear that 2013 will be Mo’s last year, and no rational person can actually think there’s any chance he switches teams at this point. I’d imagine contract negotiations will be relatively smooth sailing this go around.

• G says:

He didn’t really threaten anything, the Sox called him up and he politely listened. Of course word of that got out and, regardless of Mo’s intentions, the Yanks outbid of them to be safe. I never heard a report of him actually telling the team they had to outbid.

15. Angelo says:

Okay, so the Yankees are getting two supplemental round picks (Swisher and Soriano) and Mariano is coming back. Sounds good to me.

16. Bo Knows says:

Good to hear, now all that’s left is for me news to break that Kuroda and Andy have resigned and Torii Hunter signs (I like him only because he’ll be a 1 yr commitment) and I’d call this offseason a success.

17. Brian L says:

I can breathe again!!!!!!!!

18. BigBlueAL says:

Great news about Mo. But I do have to say I will always be appreciate of Soriano for this season. We can only hope whoever takes over for Mo permanently does as good a job as Soriano did this season.

19. Derrick says:

thanks for the draft pick Soriano.

20. Samuel says:

Big question is do the Yankees want him on a big money deal. You want to come Mariano? Sign a one year, $5 million deal.

Show how much you really want to be a Yankee.

21. falstaff2 says:

I’d like to see a one year contract for Martin, Swisher and Ibanez with same salary, no raise but with incentives. Granderson is a tougher call – his on-base was lousy but there’s no denying those 43 home runs which helped the team get to the playoffs. I don’t think Mo will have any trouble getting whatever money he wants, at one year.