Nov

Price & Dickey win Cy Young awards

Future Yankee David Price and current Met R.A. Dickey won the Cy Young awards in their respectively leagues tonight, the BBWAA announced. Price very narrowly beat out Justin Verlander while Dickey won in a landslide over Clayton Kershaw. He’s the first knuckleballer in history to win the award. That surprised me.

I thought CC Sabathia, Hiroki Kuroda, or maybe even Rafael Soriano would grab a down-ballot vote or two, but alas. No Yankee received a vote. The full voting results are here (AL, NL). The MVP awards will be announced tomorrow night, and Robinson Cano is one of five finalists for the AL trophy. Derek Jeter figures to finish in the top ten as well, plus the down-ballot votes are always fun.

Categories : Asides

1. Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Mike, when is FY David Price a free agent, after the 2014 season?

2. William says:

Ray are trading him.

3. cnp says:

what are these down-ballot votes you speak of?

• vicki says:

each bbwaa member rep votes first through fifth place. sometimes someone interesting garners an orphan vote or two, down around four or five.

4. Anthony says:

Wow, Dickey really blew Kershaw out of the water. I thought it would be a lot closer… Kershaw has a lower ERA, WHIP, xFIP. 6 less IP and one less SO.

Either way I’m glad Dickey won, its a nice story and he seems like a good guy.

• Bo Knows says:

Dickey also pitched significantly more innings and did it all while injured as well as being a knuckle baller (I bet those two facts really elevated his case)

5. RetroRob says:

I thought Verlander was the best pitcher in the league, but he kind of annoys me. Price seems like a good guy, and of course he is a Future Yankee, so what the heck.

Some people upset that two of the LA-based writers voted for Weaver, but that’s not what cost Verlander the award. One voter put Fernando Rodney at #1, meaning the best pitcher in the league. He was from Texas. Have no idea what he was thinking, but that vote to Rodney instead of Verlander probably did cost Verlanded the award.

6. chiggie says:

That’s what I’m talking about. Two Tennessee boys. Congrats to them. Wish they were Yankees!

7. your mom says:

Pricey Dick won?

8. vicki says:

curtsey to the knuckler. soft spot ever since ten-year-old vicki read ball four.

railriders have me extra sensitive to phrases like ‘soft spot.’ and ‘extra sensitive.’