Nov

Saturday Night Open Thread

(Ezra Shaw/Getty)

Hope you all are enjoying your weekend, especially those of you still dealing with the fallout from Hurricane Sandy. The baseball offseason officially started today with the open of free agency, and the first free agent to come off the board was former Yankee Bartolo Colon. He re-upped with the Athletics for one year and $3M. If Bart got that coming off a suspension, you can all forget about signing Melky Cabrera for one year and like, $4-6M. Teams have lots of cash available and few places to spend it thanks to the draft and international free agent spending restrictions, so these guys are going to get paid. Handsomely.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the evening. There’s college football and NBA action on, but the Arizona Fall League Rising Stars Showcase will be on MLB Network at 8pm. Yankees farmhands C Austin Romine, IF David Adams, and RHP Mark Montgomery will play in the game. Feel free to talk about anything you like here (no politics!). Enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. jjyank says:

I’m getting drinks tonight with one of my ex-girlfriends from high school. We haven’t spoken in like, 7 years. But we live in the same city now apparently, and I can’t be stingy about my friends. Tonight should be….interesting, one way or another. Hope all is well with everyone else.

2. Jimmy says:

Fifth straight dark night without electricity, water, or heat. Can’t buy gas, period. We got word from our borough that the local substations are trashed and it will be 5-10 days more to get power back. Multiply this by about a million families and you get a picture of what’s going on out here if you’re lucky enough not to be living through it. We’re much much better off than many many people, but this is awful. Kids will be going to school in July at this rate.

Still not as bad as October 2004, but getting closer.

• Bo Knows says:

Feel blessed that things could have been much much worse pal. Sandy was not a big storm relative to most hurricanes and the fact that it developed in the fall when the ocean waters are cooler instead of during hurricane season when the oceans are warmer prevented Sandy from growing and that no tornados spawned up in the area (hurricanes have a nice little tendency of spawning those nasty bastards)

I know thats hard to believe but trust me on that matter…you and all ny &nj will be in my prayers

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Where do you live, Jimmy?

• Jersey Joe says:

Yep, same here in North Jersey. Our street is low priority, and we did not have one worker on our street till Wednesday afternoon; we couldn’t even get off the street!

3. Nick says:

so its kinda funny that Colon got a raise

4. Big Member says:

big member just locked in his preorder of halo 4 for $48. i know some of you gentlemens have caved in aswell anyone wants to play a few matches once its out?

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Yeah I was skeptical, and I have my doubts that the it will match the reviews…but any game that gets reviews like this is always at least good, and most times great to amazing. I pre-ordered at Best Buy (got a 20 dollar gift card with the pre-order) and some armor I could give a shit less about. Still need to finish up AC3 and Dishonored though.

5. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Holy shit, that Notre Dame game took YEARS off of my life…what a crazy game. Both teams had it won and let the game slip out of their fingers-literally in Notre Dame’s case.

Glad to escape with a win!

• Jersey Joe says:

Watching Rudy after = just as awesome as game itself.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Amen. Awesome, awesome movie.

• Pat D says:

The problem is that Rudy the real person is a borderline con man. His story is great and all, but to build a career around that? Come on. I mean, at least Mike Eruzione was in the Olympics and scored a memorable goal.

The reason the movie was so successful is that they hit the right note in casting. Sean Astin was able to evoke so much sympathy for the character because he had that puppy dog likable look. If they had cast someone who actually looks like the real Rudy, no one would have cared as much.

The only reason I like to watch the movie is to see some of the campus, since it brings back my own memories of my years there. Good thing they filmed it when they did. They remodeled the stadium sometime after the movie so it wouldn’t be accurate anymore. You can’t really see Touchdown Jesus from the stadium now.

• Robert says:

Why didnt the coach get fired after the tragic death of the student sent up in a portable tower during high winds to film a practice.It toppled killing the student who was told if you dont go up there we have plenty of guys to take your Job. I was a big ND fan before this and will never root for the irish again!!!

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I’ve seen the real Rudy, he actually has a cameo in the movie.

I think you’re missing the point. It’s not about how much or little he did or how little it mattered in the grand scheme of things. It was what it meant to his life and how hard he worked for it. I’ve seen a documentary with the real Rudy and he still starts crying whenever he thinks about that moment. It’s real.

• Pat D says:

No, I disagree. I don’t deny that it wasn’t real and that he didn’t work hard for it, that’s obvious. But he’s conned his way into living off that for his entire life rather than doing anything of consequence or actually working.

• Fin says:

The Ntl Champ game will be horrendous if ND gets there. They are a good team but no where near in the league of KS, Oregon or Bama. They will get blown off the field by any of those 3. I personally think KS V. Oregon would be a frikin awesome Ntl Champ game, and hope Bama gets beat so I can see it.

• Pat D says:

I’m expecting Alabama/Oregon in the National Title game with Kansas State and Notre Dame meeting in the Fiesta Bowl.

The BCS has to hope that either all 4 of those teams go undefeated, or only 2 of them do. They don’t want just 1 or 3 undefeated teams, because then somebody will be whining that they got screwed.

But I agree that ND isn’t as good as the others. Too inconsistent on offense. Of course, if Klein is severely hurt now, all bets are off.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

It would be really cool if ND gets to the Champ game or even if they win the Fiesta Bowl, but honestly those are side attractions to me. Notre Dame football is finally back for real, and it’s fun to watch.

6. Joe says:

AFL all star on MLB network. I hate watching castellanos play knowing we took culver instead of him.

7. Robinson Tilapia says:

So I spent last night on here being pretty vocal as to disagreeing with the decision to cancel the marathon tomorrow.

This afternoon, a friend of mine was volunteering at St. Jacobi’s in Sunset Park. Quick tangent: my friend, and son’s godfather, has done an amazing job collecting over 250 blankets with his wife to provide to needy families. They’re waking up at 3:00 AM to get enough gas to make the runs they have to make for the day. They’re an inspiration, I must say.

Anyways, this afternoon, he finds some leftover “No Parking – Sunday” signs around the church and realizes that, since the marathon route runs up 4th Ave. in Brooklyn, the marathon route itself would have made it difficult for volunteers to do what they needed to do.

That was the tangible evidence I needed to change my mind. Sorry if I was a bit too rough on folks last night. I was more questioning the thought process than anything else.

8. Phil says:

they have Logan, Rapada and Cabral as lefty relievers! The giants won the world series with three leftys..

• Cesar "Stairs" Cabral says:

Cabron, you do not know origin of Stairs name.

Last spring training, Stairs trying to make team like any good Rule 5 player and succeeding. That cabron, Dave Robertson, he stand in my way, so Stairs try to stack the deck a bit. Poor Robertson, tripping down the stairs like that. Stairs would have made team if not for stupid cabron elbow acting up.

That is how Stairs got nickname, given to him by dumbass Robinson Tilapia. Dumbass Tilapia didn’t even think it was funny but everyone else did, so Stairs stuck around. I had shit elbow. What else did I have to do.

Now that you know, Phil, you know what is next.

RIP Phil

9. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Idk if anybody’s watching but Mike Montgomery just K’d the side in the Azl Fall League All Star Game. 2 of the hitters on NASTY sliders.

• JonS says:

Yea. That’s the first time I got to see Montgomery. He looked good.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

I think he’s got a little bit of David Robertson in him, in that his fastball is what Al Leiter would say “sneaky fast”…his fastball was only getting up to 91/92 but hitters were late on it like it was 95.

10. Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

Did anyone see the Billy Hamilton bunt triple tonight? How does that happen, I didn’t see it.

11. Pat D says:

Mike, I can’t believe you didn’t remind people to set their clocks back. Yea, I know all our phones and computers do it automatically, but some of us still have those devices that need to be manually updated!

12. Jimmy Jam says:

That picture was taken right before Colon sent bounty hunters out to capture Captain Solo.