Jan

Rosenthal: Pettitte will not pitch in World Baseball Classic

Via Ken Rosenthal: Andy Pettitte will not pitch for former manager Joe Torre and Team USA in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. He had until February 20th to make his final decision.

As I’ve said before, I’m glad Pettitte will remain with the Yankees in Spring Training even though it would have been neat to see him pitch in the WBC. Rosenthal says there’s a chance Justin Verlander will join the squad — Kris Medlen recently withdrew from the event as well — which would be a pretty huge for Team USA. Mark Teixeira, Robinson Cano, and Frankie Cervelli as the only Yankees who will participate in the tournament.

Categories : Asides

1. Gonzo says:

Over/Under on 300 comments for this post?

2. jjyank says:

*gasps for air*

A NEW THREAD!!

Seriously though, I’m kinda glad he’s not pitching. I wouldn’t have cared enough to make anything out of it if he did, but I was leaning towards hoping he wouldn’t.

3. Robinson Tilapia says:

Ahhhh….peace and quiet….

*whips penis out*

In all seriousness, after an early bout of righteous indignation, I stopped giving a shit either way once I remembered waking up in the morning is an injury risk.

4. Gonzo says:

Seriously? Who does this guy think he is? Jerking around my country like that. Go back to Russia!

5. johnnybk says:

Verlander! I’m really hoping he pitches and we go on a run, it would be nice to be able to root for that guy, especially since I’m planning on catching one of the finals in sf. I’m gonna America the fuck out of that place even if they’re eliminated though.

6. nsalem says:

The decision not to pitch in the WBC smacks of common sense. How white bread and boring.

7. jesse says:

Good decision by Andy.

8. Barry's Gift Basket says:

Man, i’m probably in the minority here, but i wanted to watch Andy in the WBC.

But i understand the decision.

• RetroRob says:

I don’t remember watching that many games the prior competition, although I’m sure I would have if Andy was pitching. I’ll also watch if USA makes it to the finals.

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

I have watched quite a few of the games of the two past editions of the tournament, i like it. Competitive baseball in march is aces in my book.

As somebody said here before, to get to watch Andy pitch wearing bars and stars would’ve been pretty cool, and i’m not even from the United States.

9. RetroRob says:

Agree with many that it’s good he’s not pitching. He’s obviously highly competitive. Hard to ramp back emotions during international competition, as opposed to Spring Training. Pettitte is too important and also kind of old athletically. Let the younger Verlander, who doesn’t pitch for the Yankees, take his spot.

10. Michael Kay says:

Who the hell does Andy Pettitte think he is telling the Yankees – and the world – that he won’t pitch in the World Series. What does he think, that just because he’s part of the Core 4 he can skip the post season and go back and enjoy the fall foliage with his family? Rest his arm for another season at $15 million? Unbelievable, these laid back Longhorns…

• Bob Buttons says:

They’ve been waiting for an excuse for years.

• Dalek Jeter (formerly: Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM)) says:

Like I said on FB, of course they are. Whether they’re serious or just covering their basis remains to be seen.