Jan

Thursday Night Open Thread

I normally only stick happy Yankees videos in the open thread, but I’m changing it up tonight only because that game by Pedro Martinez was one of the most dominant pitching performances I’ve ever seen. I remember watching that game and thinking the Yankees had absolutely no chance, even after Chili Davis hit the solo homer to (briefly) give them the lead. Felix Hernandez gave off that vibe during his perfect game, he was so on that you knew the game was already over. Peak Pedro (1999-2000), who did it all during an extreme offensive era, was arguably the greatest pitcher in the history of the universe.

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. The Rangers, Islanders, and Knicks are all playing, but feel free to talk about whatever you like here. Enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. MChass says:

New York, NY (Jan 24) In a bold move, the New York Yankees signed OF-DH Dan “The Man” Johnson to a contract today, ending months of speculation on where the slugger would end up.
    Johnson reportedly turned down offers from the Braves, Tigers, Mariners and Cubs to join the Yankees. Those clubs settled for Justin Upton, Torii Hunter, Michael Morse and Scott Hairston, respectively, upon learning that Johnson was most interested in the Bombers.
    Yankees GM Brian Cashman described the signing as another one of his famous “Ninja” moves, noting that the key to the deal was allowing Johnson to wear the Superman costume in rappelling down an office building this Christmas. “We had internal discussions about a bunch of guys, but Dan was who we wanted. How often can you say that you added the Great Pumpkin to your lineup?” said Cashman.
    Johnson joins other newcomers Russ Canzler, Matt Diaz and Thomas Neal as the Pinstriped Penny Pinchers build an outfield that leaves no doubt about the Yankees’ ability to rival the powerhouse Houston Astros.

2. Frank says:

“(My) browser does not support frames.” – which is funny, because my computer supports i-everything else.

3. tmoney says:

the second most dominant pitcher I ever saw thanks to Mo!

• Fin says:

Just behind Randy Johnson. Damn Pedro was good, but the Yankees usually had their way with him, like the Sox have had alot of success with Mo.

4. Bob Buttons says:

Dear fellow RAB readers

STOP OVERREACTING!

Hairston would have been a fine addition to the lineup, but people were acting like we lost a tier-one free agent. We have a lot of people have the ability to, and potentially will outplay Hairston. Hairston can’t field, he can’t run, he can’t make contact. All he has is power. That is something we don’t lack, right-handed masher in the minors. Diaz, Canzler, Mustelier comes off as people who have a fair chance to outperform Hairston in every aspect of the game. All we lost is a platoon player, and I see people getting frustrated and enraged. I’ve seen less reaction from Football Hooligans (or technically soccer in North America) when their team loses the match. Grow up, and learn to be patient.

Upton went to the Braves. So what? We don’t have the pieces. We don’t have an established option at third to spare (Prado), we don’t have a potential impact arm (Delgado), and we don’t have a useful shortstop in the minors (Ahmed). We don’t have what the Braves can offer. Does it suck? Yes. Is there any potential solid major league talent to play RF for us in two years? Yes. Suck it up, we don’t have what the Braves can offer, and OF is one position we don’t lack in the minors.

Dan Johnson signing was a depth signing, with some upside. He used to be an average major leaguer, and there’s no reason that he can’t be a solid option to fall back on, or even start at DH. Would you all not see this signing happening?

Marcum, Marcum, Marcum. Mets signed him. So what? We don’t need another pitcher at the moment. In the rotation, we got Sabathia, Kuroda, Pettitte, Hughes, Nova/Phelps. For emergency call-ups we got Warren. In the next couple of years we’ll see some guys like Turley, Marshall and Nuno (and maybe Pineda and Banuelos). Down the road we’ve got Hensley, Campos, DePaula, etc. If they were going to spend money, the last thing they should spend on is another starting pitcher. Even signing a useful reliever who doesn’t cost picks would be less redundant.

I guess what I really want to say is:
    Calm down, it’s not the end of the world. Be patient and have faith in the Yankees management. We don’t know what they do know.

• jjyank says:

Thank you. I agree with pretty much all of this. I’d also like to add, as far as Marcum goes, he was a free agent. So considering the Yankees currently feature a full rotation, why would he want to sign here, exactly?

I have been fairly vocal about my pro-Upton stance. I love the guy, and I would love to have him in RF for the Yanks. But I’ll also admit he has his flaws. He’s been somewhat inconsistent and had hand (thumb, IIRC) issues pretty much all of last year. Maybe that’s a non-issue going forward, maybe not. But yeah, bottom line is that I don’t think the Yankees could match that package, pound for pound. Maybe we have more star potential type prospects to offer, but we don’t have a Prado to offer. I saw a few comparisons with Delgado and Nova, but I don’t really buy it. Nova is coming off a really down year and Delgado is several years younger. I doubt their trade value is the same right now.

• Fin says:

Has anyone ever considered the idea, that the Yankees just dont like Upton? He was inconsistent in AZ and clearly had issues with management. What makes anyone think he would put it all togather in NY? I have huge issues with what the Yankees are doing right now. Failing to get Upton is not one of them. The NY Yankees are not where you go when you’re a young player to figure it out.

• Alkaline says:

I concur. One of the biggest things around here is people like to say go get this guy or that guy without realizing it’s a two way street.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s the same shit every off-season. Either they don’t listen or they don’t believe what they type.

• Captain's Gift Basket says:

Kinda, but it really feels like this one is the worst in a long time.

And this applies for trolls and the F.O.

I don’t know if this makes me seem like a whiny guy or something, but right now i dislike people overreacting AND i sort of dislike the fron office too.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think you’re totally in your right to feel that way.

With the sky-is-falling crowd, you can’t just be disappointed. You have to be displaying righteous indignation at all times or, like me, you just don’t have an opinion and aren’t a discriminate fan.

• Fin says:

The thing is they let Swish walk to turn around and sign a 2 year deal with Ichiro. Thats shocking, no matter the money. They let Martin go, with no major league quality catcher to replace him. Now as bad as Martin was, its at least a slight downgrade at catcher, and a huge downgrade in Rf.

Now, coming from those moves….The Yankees have an almost 40yr ss coming off ankle surgery. They have a 3b coming off his second hip surgery. They signed the only 3b in baseball thats missed more time than Arod in the last 3 years.

They are relying on a 38yr old Kuroda, a 41yr old Andy, a 43yr old Rivera coming off his own injury. The extreme ages of the players the Yankees are relying on makes this season very interesting. The players at the very end of their careers are probably more than any team in recent history. Its not even a question of can they play, but can they stay healthy?

• Jacob The OG (formerly Jacob) says:

This! Sure we all get angry at the fact some things we want to happen just don’t happen but learn to get over it and if you are going to voice your opinion about it set some standards for your self-Be educated about what you put, realize that it is not all the FO’s fault, don’t attack other commenters for no reason.

• Herby says:

Upton would’ve been nice but I’m sure the price they would’ve been asking from the Yankees would’ve been more than they’d taken from other teams. Hairston, I was more curious if he’d ever make a decision, I didn’t expect he’d come to the Yankees considering the length of contract and playing time issues. No great loss there. I think the Yankees have the parts in the minors or in their signings to provide similar numbers if things work out well.

• MannyGeee says:

I completely agree with the sentiment. I disagree slightly with the optimism on Diaz/Future HoF Ronnier Mustieller/Canzler outperforming Hairston, but I do agree that they can add the same value with less commitment and more upside potential. And Marcum would have been the queen mother of all safety nets should shit go pear shaped in the rotation, but you knew dude was going to get a legit shot somewhere else.

All told though, you’re right. People are going off the chains over a lot of nothing.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

should shit go pear shaped in the rotation

Never heard it expressed that way. For that matter, never heard that expression before in any context. Thanks for that.

• MannyGeee says:

The Brits use “pear shaped” as an expression a good bit. Picked it up over the summer while traveling to London WAY TOO MUCH for work. It’s fun to throw out there to break up the doom and gloom.

• Dr. Vinny Boombatz says:

Manny very funnny! After all what is Hairston and Marcum gonna do for the Cubs and Mets win wise? Close to zero impact…Neither team will move (up) in the standings becuase of these signings (imo).

• MannyGeee says:

Well Marcum could add a win or 3 if he’s healthy. He has the potential to be an impact arm on a team that no longer has one. Hairston, in the right circumstances, could add stability and consistency on a team that has spent the past almost decade floundering.

All that said, neither team is going to make the run this year.

5. MannyGeee says:

Pedro was an absolute beast. Hated knowing he was coming up on the schedule, because he could throw a game like that in a moments notice…

And then, 2003 happened.

6. jjyank says:

Anyone ever play competitive dodgeball on a racket ball court? That’s what I did last night, and holy crap am I sore. A lot of that is just from being a bit out of shape, but that shit’s intense. It was 7 v 7, all men 21 and over. Small court, balls ricocheting everywhere. The scoring set up is a 40 minute time limit, and you play as many games as possible in that 40 minutes. Whichever team wins the most games in 40 minutes, gets a mark in the W column. For the insane amount of exercise, it was also a freaking blast. If anyone ever gets the opportunity to join a league, I highly recommend it.

7. DJ says:

Would be nice if Cashman awakes from his off-season nap and actually tries to improve the team instead of waiting for other team’s rejects.

8. Youkales' Misspelled Name says:

Awfully big strike zone for Pedro there…

9. mrdbag says:

Cashman does not care anymore he just doesn’t care about the jib. Billy beane is the man you need

• Get Phelps Up says:

“Cashman doesn’t care” is rapidly approaching grave rolling as the next big meme on here.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It used to just straight out be “Cashman failed.”

GM hate is one of the funniest aspects of armchair QBing. I’m as guilty of it as anyone, with the Jets at least.

• Mike Axisa says:

The A’s just finished over .500 for the first time since Hudson-Mulder-Zito was broken up.

• Captain's Gift Basket says:

Just for fun.

Beane has, every year, like 150 Millions less to play with.

I’m not saying that Beane is great an Cashman sucks by any means, but how one should compare the work of to guys operating under such diferent circunstances?

• Cris Pengiucci says:

The fact that Cashman has been able to spend money doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be successful without the financial might the team has. The A-Rod contract wouldn’t have been signed when he opted out, but someone else would have been brought in. There were quite a few options. Swisher probably would have been playing 1B and we’d have a different player in RF. Who knows what would have occurred? You could go on and on about how things may have played out.

• MannyGeee says:

And also, the lack of legit power from a Tabata/Gardner/AJax outfield would have been staggering. With Shelly Duncan coming off the bench… huzzah!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’ve always felt that GM’s adjust to the situation given them and, generally, are smart folk who know what they’re doing. I think full-on buffoons are both rare and Mike Tannenbaum.

Therefore, Billy Beane would manage a lot like Brian Cashman if he were to join the Yankees, and vice versa.

• Havok9120 says:

The cut of Dan Johnson’s jib is, indeed, concerning.

10. Hoss says:

Mike, The A’s had the lowest payroll in MLB last year, and that is the state they constantly operate in.

• Jacob The OG (formerly Jacob) says:

Your point? Just because thy have the lowest payroll means they cannot field a winning team? So the Rays should automatically suck ass too right?

• Hoss says:

No, but Beane’s position is more challenging than Cashman’s.

• MannyGeee says:

And they (until this year) have been habitual bottom dwellers. The A’s as legit contenders is unsustainable, but hey, whatever… Keep stroking the Billy Beene noodle. You’ll feel awesome when Oakland becomes a seller in July and finishes 70-90

• Hoss says:

Give Cashman the Oakland payroll and he’ll be working for the Washington Wild Things after a year.

• MannyGeee says:

In contrast, give Beene Cashmans budget and he would have outbid SF for Zito. He gets out of a LOT of mistakes I am sure by not being able to spend Cashman money. Also, having no cash allows you to wash your hands of accountability because “hey, how can I keep up with Nolan Ryan and Atre Moreno? not my Fault”

• Tom says:

I’d like to see Beane work under Cashman’s conditions…

Here’s a ton of money, but you are also expected to win every year. You think with a 200mil payroll Beane is doing better than making the playoffs 16 out of 17 years (or whatever it is now). I guess he could go 17 for 17?

Oh and for fun Beane can also occasionally have the people above him step in and dole out a 10 year contract to a player heading into his decline years or give a reliever a contract where he can opt out after every year (while being overpaid)

Oh and by the way, Beane will not generally be allowed to offer any sort of favorable club extensions; he needs to wait until that talent hits FA and bid against everyone.

The comparisons are tough because the constraints the GM’s are working under are not simply just the payroll; yet people always try to distill it down to only that.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Again, I believe the GM works with what is given to them. Therefore, Cashman would resemble Beane in Oakland and Beane would resembled Cashman in NY. I don’t think one is markedly smarter than the other.

• Hoss says:

That’s convenient because it didn’t happen.
                Just like the Rangers did not select Cano as compensation in the trade for A-Rod even though Cashman offered him.

• MannyGeee says:

Because Cashman working on 1/4 the finances seems to be happening I guess. He is LITERALLY being asked to spend $25M less a year AAV. Not $25M a season, $25M less. Still more than everybody not named Los Doyers.

Stop moving the goalposts to suit your argument on why Cashman sucks in your opinion.

• Hoss says:

Moving what goalposts? He’s a poor GM aided by a huge budget. I’ve wanted him gone for a while now.

• MannyGeee says:

Your examples on why he’s so bad are at best a straw an argument. your best argument has been that Beene is better because he also doesn’t win, but does it spending less money.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I don’t think there could be a statement I disagree more with than this.

• Hoss says:

OK, then. Let’s just say that I prefer my GMs to be the subject of baseball movies like Moneyball than horror flicks like Basic Instinct.
                Can I finish watching the Rangers game now?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think we’d all appreciate it if you finished watching the game, then joined the circus.

• Hoss says:

Then y’all complain that I just leave and don’t respond to your legitimate posts…

• jjyank says:

Oh stop.

I’m with R-Tils on this. It’s not a useful exercise to compare GMs in different situations. Cashman is under pressure to contend every single year, and he had money to spend, so he used it. Beane is NOT under the same pressure, had higher draft picks, and didn’t succeed in cracking .500 for a long time. Just assuming one is better than the other is apples and oranges. Useless.

• Get Phelps Up says:

If Cashman had Oakland’s payroll for 6 years, I’m sure he could finish above .500 at least once.

That’s what Beane has done.

• Mike Axisa says:

Beane has an ownership stake in the team, no pressure to win, and a built-in excuse (low payroll). Hard to say that’s more challenging that actually having to field a contender every year with a meddlesome ownership.

• Hoss says:

Et tu, Mike? Billy doesn’t use any excuses. He wants to win just like any other professional and has done remarkably well to stay competitive under the circumstances. Less money than any other team in baseball, least adequate facility, team is being moved every other year, etc.

• Get Phelps Up says:

The state they have been consistently operating in is an under .500 state.

• jjyank says:

Which also means the A’s draft higher than the Yankees. I’m not shitting on Beane here at all, but payroll isn’t everything.

• Hoss says:

Very true. I believe that the Yankee FO approach to the next season – maybe 2 – is to move up in the draft. Top 10 or bust!

• jjyank says:

I disagree with that, but they do have a ton of picks in the first ~100 or so, so I do agree that next year’s draft could have a huge impact on the franchise going forward.

11. Alkaline says:

I hope Johnson makes the team for the sole fact it’ll be awesome to call him the Great Pumpkin.

12. barry says:

I’m betting on those two Uptons on the same team will be a huge mistake. Neither of them is very consistent and it’s going to be funny if they both have one of their nightmare seasons this year. How does J Upton go 13- to 10- wrc+ every other year.

13. dasani says:

I noticed Rod Barajas and Kelly Shoppach are still out there. Would they be worth a minor league deal ? wouldn’t one of the be an upgrade over Chris (can’t hit for shit) Stewart.

14. Yogiism says:

All the yoyo’s on here attacking Cashman are nuts. Man has done a great job for many years. No argument period. A little financial discretion this off-season will go very far in the near future. Who, may I ask, have the Yanks missed? I come up with two players that stand out: Justin Upton. We could have put a better deal on the table. No doubt about it. Maybe Tori Hunter. Let’s keep in mind also, had they gone after Josh Hamilton, that basically cancels out Cano. Let’s all sit tight for another season and see how this plays out.

I would like to see responses on this exact topic. Who, with good reason, have the Yanks lost or should have been involved with this off season? I’ll go first and really, only have 1 name to put on a good list.

Justin Upton

• Herby says:

Great is overstating his case..he’s a bit better than average.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

When you’ve got five championships, you’re going down in history as great.

• Hoss says:

Try 1. The rest were Gene Michael, Joe Torre and Buck Showalter.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Only one of those individuals ever worked as GM for the New York Yankees.

But mommy, why don’t the other kids ever want to talk nice with me? Why won’t they let me join in their reindeer games?

• Hoss says:

You are correct! The other 2 were field managers, but they, like Joe Girardi, should share in the building of the teams over that era: field managers and general managers.

This does feel like Asteroids, however, and I do want to watch my Rangers kick some Flyer butt.

• Hoss says:

Just to clsrify, the 1st 4 championships were built before Cashman built the team as GM (or obviously field manager).

• jjyank says:

That happens with a lot of GMs. For example, the guy deemed the “boy genius”, Theo Epstein, didn’t build the 2004 Red Sox either.

Cashman has still only missed the playoffs ONCE since he’s been the GM. That’s pretty fucking great, if you ask me.

Overall, I’d say he’s a “good” GM. Not great necessarily, but good, above average.

• Get Phelps Up says:

While Cashman didn’t build the “core” of those teams, he did get players like Chuck Knoblauch, Roger Clemens, and David Justice who were key contributors, as well as re-signing some players such as David Cone and Mike Stanton.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

All I’m saying is that we can nit-pick all we want about who is responsible for what and whatnot. At the end of the day, he goes down in the record books as the General Manager of those teams. That means a metric ton.

Then quit replying.

• Herby says:

Well, I’d consider Michael as having more to do with the construction of most of those teams, at least with the core of them. I don’t think Cashman would be sniffing a championship without them.
          Even our fearless leader the great Mike doesn’t consider Cashman as great though.

• Havok9120 says:

I wouldn’t log him in as great.

I will agree, though, that his resume will probably mean that he goes down in history as great.

• Herby says:

Okay, I guess if I come down for the Blues Festival i guess I’ll have to buy you a beer

• Havok9120 says:

Make it a whiskey and I’m in. I’m one of those heathens that can’t stand beer.

If you like beer, though, I can certainly suggest a good beer bar or two in NOLA. Apparently JazzFest’s lineup is quite good this year, though I haven’t looked at it yet.

• Herby says:

We all have our tastes…Jazz Fest is usually kind of a zoo though and the Blues Fest in Oct is more my thing.
                  It’s been too damn long since I’ve been down that way though.

• Havok9120 says:

I almost never go to Jazz Fest. There’s rarely enough shows I want to see on a given weekend for me to shell out that much money.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I thought they should have brought back Chavez. I thought that there was an extra mile they could have gone with on Swisher. Schierholz and Hairston are slight disappointments to me.

Upton was price-dependent to me. I was never all-in on him.

• Yogiism says:

Noted on Chavez. I’m guessing two major things played into not even offering him a contract: 1) Cashman and Yanks knew about Arods injury 2) that Swisher wasn’t coming back nor would they offer him a contract. That’s two (or 1.5 right handed bats) that the team would be without. I’m guessing Cashman knew at the time that Chavez, despite his many positives, wasn’t the right fit for the 2013 team. Plus who knows if can stay healthy that much longer, although Youk is no pillar of Strength.

Schierholz, I agree. That would have been a nice pick up. He should have pulled the trigger on that one earlier since the cost was never going to be that high.

I’m personally not disappointed about not going after Upton. I just think he seemed to fit very well for a lot of reasons. It seemed to make sense, especially now, considering that he really didn’t cost that much. Yeah, a lot of players from the Braves, but the headline name is only under contract for a year technically. There has to be a good reason why the Yanks weren’t even mentioned. Based on cost itself, and his AAV, they could have afforded to acquire him and resign Cano next year and still be within the tax guidelines.

Anthony Rendon is a name that I am disappointed not to hear about. The Yanks could have swapped before the Nat’s landed Span. I would have offered Gardner and Slade Heathcott.

• Herby says:

Of anyone Schierholz was more of the one I was hoping for. I thought he was more of a fit for the needs of the team and had the defense to back it up.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I personally didn’t really want Chavez back. What are the chances that a) he stays healthy for a full season again, and b) has an above offensive season again, seeing how his last wRC+ over 100 before 2012 was in 2006.

• cheddar says:

That’s the challenge. I liked Chavez a lot, but when Alex got hurt I kept hearing that we needed to find a replacement from the outside because we couldn’t use Chavez since he’d get hurt so easily. Well, if you can’t rely on your backup to fill regularly in when the starter gets hurt, you need a different backup.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

If healthy, that’s a hell of a backup, though. That’s why I’d be willing to take the chance on him as long as we could ride him.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

I wasn’t completely sold on Upton either but he would have been a no brainer if the Yankees could have gotten him for a similar price

15. David in Cal says:

I don’t mind the Yanks not trading for Upton. But, they don’t seem to have a smart, overall plan for how they will deal with the salary penalties. They seem to lurch from one decision to another.

Letting Martin go while signing Ichiro for 2 years makes little sense to me. Waiting until all the decent RH outfielders are gone makes little sense. 2013 isn’t a rebuilding year. Otherwise, why spend all that money on Kuroda and Andy and Youk for 1 year each? OTOH without better hitting, pitching won’t carry the Yanks into the post-season.

It feels like each decision is made on its own, based on a new negotiation between Cashman and Steinbrenner. That’s no way to build a strong team for a given year, let alone maintaining a strong team year after year.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Not sure I agree, but food for thought.

• Grit for Brains says:

The Martin and Ichiro situation could not have been Cash’s call alone.

I think he was ordered to make the Ichiro deal but otherwise doesn’t have the money for things with that kind of pricetag, Martin included. Ichiro came from ownership.

• Havok9120 says:

I do think that there’s been a lot of horse-trading behind the scenes between all the big players in the FO/ownership. There isn’t much evidence for this, but it’s just a feeling I have from witnessing what goes on in the executive office suit at casinos.

16. Havok9120 says:

Son of a CRAP. I just remembered that this is the first weekend of Mardi Gras.

Ouch.

• barry says:

Isnt that a good thing? lol

• Havok9120 says:

I suppose. I must say, Mardi Gras in NOLA is something everyone should do at least once, but it gets old once it’s your 3rd or 5th time.

I usually go home for Fat Tuesday anyway. My high school class (and the classes around us) have a tradition of renting out a floor of hotel rooms in one of the casinos and living it up for 4 or 5 days.

• barry says:

Idk man I don’t feel bad for you that’s for sure. 4 or 5 days partying in a casino also sounds interesting. Sounds like you caught a terrible case of “living the dream.”

17. Derek says:

I was at that Pedro game in ’99 as an 9 year old kid. I remember being so pissed and fussy like a little kid would be. Didn’t appreciate what I was watching.

18. Now Batting says:

Some of my thoughts on the Yankees:

-Right now I see a 90 win team on paper. As much as I’m a Swisher Playoff Hater, I think his loss along with Martin is roughly five wins.

-There are a lot of potential external shocks that could push that win total up. Cashman could pull a ninja trade. Teixeira could have a big year. Phil Hughes can become more consistent. If Youkilis has a decent year and A-rod comes back healthy and serviceable, the DH question will be addressed more than adequately.

-This will be a big year for those that thought the Yankees hit too many home runs. Two big 3 outcome players walked in FA. Gardner takes a lot of pitches as does Youk. The Yankees must do better with RISP and advancing runners than least year.

-I’m nervous about Kuroda coming close to repeating last season. I think CC will have a great year.

19. Bob Buttons says:

Any computer whiz out there? My damn HP desktop is emitting a green light and it keeps making a long beep sound and doesn’t start up

Took me the better part of an hour to clean the dust out of the damn fans and I got my thumb cut.

Technology. Gonna be the death of mankind.

• Bob Buttons says:

errm nvm “beep code” stuff apparently reveals there’s a memory problem (whatever the hell that means)

Time to not mess with it, lest it goes even more screwed up

20. Jim Cavanaugh says:

Just a little theory, but i think the reason Cashman has seemed gun shy on pulling a trade is because of how last years Montero/Pineda swap turned out. Not so much on Montero, but how awful things are starting out for Pineda here. Look at how hesitant they were on going after Darvish last year, after the Igawa debacle. Salary cap or no salary cap, seems Cashman does not easily forget pas moves gone awry.

• RetroRob says:

Cashman can only do what the owners will let him based on budget.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Ownership is allowing Cashman to have about a $210 million budget this year. As many around here are quick to point out, that shoud be more than enough to win. Problem is the money in many cases hasn’t been spent wisely.

• Havok9120 says:

The money that was available this offseason was, mostly, spent wisely. Ichiro’s deal is the only eyebrow raiser, and that’s only because of the second year, not the money for this one. Youk vs. Chavez is a debate worth having (we should know, we’ve had it several times now), but there’s no clear answer there and there weren’t a lot of better alternatives that Youk, especially since the coaching staff seems to think they could improve him with adjustments to his swing.

So unless you think one of the pitchers should not have been resigned, there aren’t a lot of different ways to spend what was available this winter. I would have preferred Martin over Ichiro, but that’s about it.

21. bensweezy says:

please click, huuuuuughes

22. WhittakerWalt says:

Not to diminish Pedro’s performance in that game, truly, but…
    WOW. He was getting every call. Every pitch that was 6 inches outside. Every check swing. Every call.
    He’d have won the game anyway. Not a question in my mind. But that’s the kind of game that has the hitters saying “yo ump, he doesn’t need any help from you.”

Is it just me, or was McCarver a lot less annoying when he was calling games for us? I don’t remember thinking he was a blithering idiot at all that year.

23. johnnybk says:

If Pedro spent his peak in almost any other uniform, he would probably be one of my favorite players of that era.

24. Pat D says:

One final thing about Pedro. Anyone who doesn’t think he’s a HOF’er is an idiot. Really.

This is something you should say to anyone who doesn’t think Pedro is a HOF’er: if Sandy Koufax is a HOF’er, then so is Pedro.

• MannyGeee says:

Agreed, but in fairness there are alot of guys who should get the nod at the same time that are not because of “the taint”. Hence, I say fuck the Hall of Fame, and the morality that those jackass voters have decided to instill upon us.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I didn’t realize anyone thought Pedro wasn’t a Hall of Famer. Why would anyone think that? That’s crazy.

25. Jim Cavanaugh says:

Pedro is a surefire 1st ballot hall of famer, no doubt. He was a flat out beat in the AL East Division for all those years that dudes were hitting home runs off the roofs of domes and into adjacent parking lots of stadiums. Pitchers like him are few & far between.