Feb

Jeter begins running, given the “green light” to ramp up rehab

Via Jon Morosi & Erik Boland: Derek Jeter ran today for the first time since having left ankle surgery in October. It wasn’t much — five minutes on a treadmill — but it’s progress. The Cap’n also said he’s been given the “green light” to ramp up his rehab and basically do everything a baseball player needs to do to prepare for the season. That doesn’t mean he’ll be ready to go on Opening Day, just that his ankle is healing well and he can begin to pick up the pace a bit. Good news, obviously.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. jjyank says:

Good news indeed. Get well soon, Jeet.

In other news, I hope for Mike’s sake that this thread doesn’t turn into this: http://riveraveblues.com/2013/...../#comments

*ducks*

• trr says:

LOL, JJ.
      Articles like this don’t leave much to say other than good luck, right?

• Mike HC says:

If any website can turn “no news” posts into a hostile 100 plus comment thread, it is RAB. But that is part of why I love RAB. For the good, rational baseball conversations, and also for the irrational, arguing semantics and hypotheticals craziness.

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

That was actually a lot more enjoyable that the typical “who’s overly pessimistic,optimistic, troll or polyanna” like the fan confidence polls typically degenerate into

• Jim Is Bored says:

I’m not gonna lie, I learned a lot from that thread, even though I wasn’t commenting.

Nothing useful, grant you. But still.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I really hope he doesn’t take the field, turn his ankle, and start cursing like Andrew Dice Clay.

*backs away slowly*

2. iearnhorse4 says:

Good news for the team, havent had that in a while. I sympathize with the Captain: i broke my fibula just above the ankle a month ago and had the same surgery he had to repair it. i wont be able to start running again until May at the earliest. It really stinks. wish i could afford a water treadmill…

3. Cris Pengiucci says:

Yay for the Captain. Hope he comes back as stong as he was last year.

4. DJ4K&Monterowasdinero says:

Does this affect him batting leadoff? I assume he won’t be getting many infield hits-not that he does anyway. Is it expected that he will be at top speed with full healing or will he be slower no matter how optimal the healing/rehab is?

• Mike HC says:

My guess is that Jeter will bat lead off until he proves he can’t.

• Laz says:

Hate to say it, but Jeter always bats near the top of the lineup. If he is playing there will still be no way he is in the 8th hole, even if it was to come down to that is where he belongs.

• Mike HC says:

If it gets bad enough, I think they will move him out of the top spot until he starts producing again. The other factor is that there are really only 3 options for the top 2 spots in the order, being Jeter, Gardner and Ichiro. I guess if Youk gets back to his greek god of walks ways he can also be slotted in those spots. Granderson is also a possibility but I really see him as a middle of the order guy, personally.

• RetroRob says:

Why would you hate to say it? He remains our best option at the top of the lineup, and has been since 1996.

5. MannyGeee says:

Sooo… Dom Deluise? #stokingthefire

Way to be there, Cap.

6. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? (formerly Aunelowitzky) says:

Good to see the Captain get some good news…especially after the awful news leaked earlier this week that his new main squeeze will not be on the SI swimsuit cover…

7. Michael Gianthead Kay says:

I am amazed that anyone can even consider moving Jeter to the 8 hole. My God…talk about being clueless.