Feb

Yankees looking for pitching depth, keeping tabs on Chien-Ming Wang

Via Joel Sherman & George King: The Yankees continue to seek a veteran pitcher to stash in the Triple-A rotation, so they’ll scout Chien-Ming Wang with Team Taiwan during the World Baseball Classic. The former Yankees right-hander impressed Spring Training pitching instructor Billy Connors with a recent workout and is said to be seeking a Major League contract.

Wang, 33 next month, has not been an effective pitcher since hurting his foot running the bases during interleague play back in 2008. He got clobbered with the Yankees in 2009 and missed the entire 2010 season following surgery to repair his shoulder capsule. Wang pitched to a 6.68 ERA (5.85 FIP) with a 52.9% ground ball rate in 32.1 innings for the Nationals last year, and PitchFX clocked his trademark sinker in the low-90s. There’s no way I’d give him a guaranteed contract, but he would be a fine Triple-A depth guy. I’d prefer someone with a little more certainty, but that guy really doesn’t exist.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. If loving Chien Ming is Wang, I don’t want to be right.

2. dasani says:

This guy can’t stay healthy if his life depended on it.

3. dkidd says:

everybody wang chung tonight

4. Walter says:

I miss him… He was a beast in his day. I’d give him a token minor league deal. That sinker used to be nasty…

5. Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

Thank the asinine NL that still allows pitchers to bat for this career ruined.

6. Herby says:

I was curious about what he was doing last week when I looked into it and seeing he was pitching for the Taiwanese team. I’m hoping he pitches well for them, I certainly wouldn’t be adverse to a minor league contract for him. I do expect that if he does pitch well the Indians will sign him to a multi-year deal though.

7. John says:

Cmw works out at the same gym as me in Orlando. Seemed like a genuine guy, he was working with a trainer and told me he was hoping to play in the MLB this year but no teams had contacted him yet

• trr says:

John, grab a mitt and catch him, let us know how his stuff is!
      I’d be perfectly OK with bringing him to camp under a minor league contract. you never know….

• John says:

Haha I tried to not act overly excited when I realized it was him. I was shocked how tall he is and how big his frame is. He was definitely doing sport specific exercises, he doesnt carry a lot of muscle. One interesting thing he shared after I told him about my foot injury from the past was that he refused to wear a rehabilitive orthotic after his injury. It took me a long time to confidently run without mine I can’t imagine him recovering more fully without wearing them.

• Herby says:

I guess they’re all waiting to see how he performs in the WBC. I think he would’ve had a better year last year had he not suffered that early hip injury. Guess you just have to keep him from running in all forms possible.

8. Greg says:

Imagine how valuable he would be if he could catch or play the OF!

9. Dalek Jeter says:

I always had an irrational love for CMW, hell a misspelling of his name was my original handle here. Mostly because when he was just a beast for us, and putting up beastly numbers for us in 2006-2007 everybody was giving him grief and saying he wasn’t a ‘true ace’ because he didn’t strike guys out. I would love him on a minor league deal, if he could find that sinker again and stay healthy he would be a nice addition to the ML rotation, never mind just minor league depth. (hooray pipe dreams)

• Herby says:

I know what you mean. I’ve been following the twists and turns (no not the body parts) of his career since he left the Yankees hoping he’d be able to put it all back together. Hoping in some way he’d make his way back to the team as a player for them.

10. Rooting for U.S. Steel says:

When Wang is right, fans can expect a steady stream of slow ground balls trickling up the first base side, primed to be scooped up. If that’s the Wang who pitches for Taiwan, I’d welcome him back unreservedly. That said, if that’s the Wang who pitches for Taiwan, there are going to be a lot of other teams — most well under the cap — who are going to be taking a look at him as well.

Mike is right in saying we haven’t seen that Wang in a long time. Alas. I would love this move, but really don’t expect it.

11. dkidd says:

“we haven’t seen that wang in a long time”

i miss wang jokes

12. J.R. says:

Everyone remembers the great grounders and regular season wins. I remember everyone wanting to kill him after 2 straight years of post season implosions. Memory is a funny thing.

• Bob Buttons says:

Shh you’re ruining everyone’s looking the other way time.

• Herby says:

two years in the life of a young at the time pitcher who gave you 19 wins a season who was injured in a tragically stupid way. Look at the way the loss of Swisher is being lamented around here. I think the memory of the overall production he gave is worth overlooking the problems he had in a few games in the early opportunities he had in those instances.