Feb

Yankees rank tenth in Keith Law’s farm system rankings

Keith Law released his 2013 farm system rankings today (subs. req’d), which are predictably topped by the Cardinals. They have Oscar Taveras, a ton of MLB-ready power arms, and quality depth coming out of their ears. The Twins and Rays round out the top three while the Angels bring up the rear at #30. The Yankees rank tenth.

“It’s a top-heavy system, but the group of position players who started in low Class A Charleston last year, some of whom finished in high-A Tampa, could produce as many as three above-average or better regulars plus several other guys who’ll have big league value,” wrote Law while also saying they’d rank higher had Manny Banuelos and Jose Campos not gotten hurt. Baseball America had the Yankees ranked 11th while John Sickels had them 14th, so the consensus right now is that 10-15 range. Tampa was the only AL East team ahead of New York, with the Orioles (13th), Red Sox (17th), and Blue Jays (24th) lagging behind.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. Jon says:

So the red sox are has high as 4th and as low as 17th in farm system rankings? Thats a crazy swing

2. I agree with the ranking, but I don’t agree that the system is top heavy. In fact it’s actually the opposite. They don’t have much in top tier major league ready talent, but they do have a ton of depth. This is probably the deepest system the team has had in 10 years. The amount of players with legitimate potential to be top prospects is more than 50.

• Ted Nelson says:

I think he’s referring to top heavy in terms of talent, rather than level. However, those 4 guys are relatively close in the mid-to-high minors.

• jjyank says:

Pretty sure he’s referring to talent level, not the literal top levels, when he says “top heavy”.

• LK says:

I think the farm is solid, but I’m going to have to dispute that you can give me 50+ names with the potential to be top prospects.

• I could give you 65 actually. Not going to do that on here though, it would be disruptive.

• LK says:

It’s possible that we’re simply having a semantic difference, because a system with 65 guys who have legitimate potential to be top prospects as I would define it would probably be the best farm system of all time. I do think there’s a lot of potential breakouts though. If Campos and Banuelos get healthy and some of the lower guys have good years, I think the system could challenge for a very high spot next year since it basically won’t graduate anyone too valuable.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

This.

I appreciate the sort of knowledge and respect for players in the minor leagues that a fan who could name 65 prospects he/she likes has, but there’s a fine line there. You may like some things that, say, Luke Murton (just to throw a random name out there) has to offer, and can hope he can continue to develop them, but the odds aren’t exactly in his favor.

Still, it’s enviable to have that kind of knowledge of the farm system. I certainly don’t have it.

• Ted Nelson says:

You could argue that a whole lot of guys in short-season ball have the potential to be top prospects some day, but you could do the same thing for any system.

• Yes but by definition this is where the types of prospects who “could be top prospects” are located. By the time they reach Triple-A they are already either top prospects or not. If they suddenly explode they’ll be in the majors in all likelihood. For the record the Yankees have these types at every level except for Triple-A really. (e.g. Ramon Flores in Double-A).

That said, I agree that most of these guys are in Low-A or Staten Island. The part where I disagree with you is that you could name 65 legitimate threats to become top prospects in other systems. The lower minors depth for the Yankees is astounding. They have had to acquire another GCL team just to house them all. The point is, there are so many guys with this type of potential that there aren’t enough innings to go around. They wouldn’t do that if these were organizational players like Tyson Blaser or Cody Grice.

• I’m not talking about guys like Luke Murton. His ceiling is limited. I’m talking about guys like Giovanny Gallegos, Hayden Sharp, Jordan Cote, Ravel Santana, Miguel Andujar, Rony Bautista.

• Yes I think our definition of top prospects is different. I’m saying they have 65 guys in their current system who could be all-stars at the major league level if things break right. That is more depth than most of the league.

• RetroRob says:

I’ll go with the “talent level” explanation for what he means by top heavy. I’ve heard Law talk about the Yankees system many times, and he reguarly points out they lack top talent at the higher levels, but have stength at the lower levels.

3. Ted Nelson says:

I think that the system will shed the “top heavy” label pretty quickly. Both from young guys stepping up (potential examples being Bird, Aune, Hensley, Gumbs, Cote, Camarena, etc.) and from some of their high minors depth pieces coming through (Adams, Romine, Montgomery, Marshall, Turley, CoJo, Murphy, Flores, etc.).

• Slappy McWaterbug says:

Not to mention 3 picks in the first/sandwich rounds.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Hopefully Aune tilts them even more Top-heavy (if you know what I mean.)

• To me that label should be shed already. They already have the guys in the system who represent the depth.

• Ted Nelson says:

We’re talking relative to other teams, and Law (like most prospect ranking media types) tends to skew his rankings towards top prospects. Probably because most teams have promising guys their fans can argue are undervalued.

I would disagree with you that the Yankees have more depth now than in recent history. They had a ton, say, after 2010.

You haven’t given any names to back up your assertions, so it’s hard to really know what you’re talking about.

• They had decent depth in 2010, but it is nothing compared to their depth in 2012. Let me preface this by saying I’m not just naming guys with good stats in short season leagues. I’m naming these players because their scouting reports back up their performance and predict a possible ascent to top prospect status. I’m not going to name all 65, but I’ll list a few.

Ramon Flores
          Rookie Davis
          Luis Niebla
          Hayden Sharp
          Caleb Frare

You get the idea

4. matt says:

It’s funny with all the talk of the good farm system the Yankees have we never see anyone come out of it as they always say he’s a couple years away??? This team is loaded with all old hasbens and the kids are running Georges team into the ground and don’t even get me started on Cashman!!!!

5. dkidd says:

what is campos’ timetable? will he pitch this year?

6. Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

Not bad coming from a source I think highly of in Law.

I’ll take it especially since it could easily improve if Campos and Banuelos show something which I expect they will.

7. RetroRob says:

Looks like Terry Ryan has done a very good job or rebuilding the Twins’ system in short order.

And echoing what was said above, it’s interesting the wide range of opinions on the Red Sox. Without checking the main lists, that feels like the widest gap of any team. No idea what that means.

With the A guys heading up to AA, the return of Campos this year, and Banuelos late this year or by 2014, it’s not hard to see a scenario where they’re a top five system next year as long as their players keep progressing. Obviously always an if for all teams.

• Gonzo says:

About the Sox. I’d bet that Law ranks Barnes lower than most. Probably Wacha (Cardinals) too. He likes them, but he always says that good college pitchers should beat up on A batters. JMO

8. Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

Cardnials system is pretty impressive too considering they’ve won 2 WS in the last 2 years and are usually in contention.