Mar

Cashman on trading Phelps: “I’m only looking to move the bad stuff.”

Via Andy McCullough: Brian Cashman isn’t looking to trade right-hander David Phelps even though teams are apparently calling about him. “I’m not looking to move him, I’m only looking to move the bad stuff,” said the GM. I laughed.

Phelps, 26, got knocked around pretty hard last night, but he remains one of the team’s most important assets going forward given the plan to get under the $189 million luxury tax threshold. I’m not necessarily opposed to trading Phelps (or Ivan Nova), but it would have to be as part of a package for an impact bat. It would have to be for a significant upgrade.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Jersey Joe says:

I guess the next player to be traded will be known as “bad.” Why would he say “bad” stuff, and why would a team accept a trade for bad stuff?

#GMFail

• art vandelay says:

I didn’t hear the audio, so I’m only guessing, but Cashman can be a sarcastic funny guy sometimes. He is allowed to joke around. I would take it as non-chalant. You’re looking waaaaaaaaaaaaay too into the quote.

2. Eddard says:

By bad stuff he probably means the contracts like A-Rod that nobody else wants, not the few young and healthy players he has. It’s good to know that someone in the F.O. has some good sense not to trade away youth and health when your problem is old age and injury.

3. Robinson Tilapia says:

I wouldn’t trade him either unless some GM had Eddard-sized love for him. Agreed.

4. jjyank says:

Sounds about right. Pitching will likely be key this year. Keep the depth and hope for the best. Unless, of course, trading him gives the team a significant offensive upgrade, but I don’t think it will.

5. dc1874 says:

Much easier to win 3-2 ..4-3 games than 11-9 games..

6. lou in the bronx says:

Or when he traded wilson betimit and jeffy marquez for nicky swish.