Mar

Open Thread: 3/12 Camp Notes

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

The Yankees beat the Rays in Port Charlotte this afternoon, meaning they’ve got a nice little three game winning streak going on. Ivan Nova walked none in four scoreless innings, striking out two and allowing just four singles. He’s surrendered just one run in nine innings so far and is right there with David Phelps in the fifth starter’s race.  Nova got pounded in camp last year and it was harbinger of things to come, so at least he’s starting on the right foot now.

Thomas Neal went 2-for-3 with a stolen base and is quietly having a nice spring, but he’s an afterthought in the outfield competition it seems. Frankie Cervelli singled and threw out both attempted base-stealers, meaning he’s now gunned down seven of nine runners. That is in-frickin-sanely good. Jayson Nix and Travis Hafner combined to go 0-for-7 with five strikeouts, which is … yuck. Brett Marshall pitched in relief of Nova and allowed one unearned run in 3.2 innings. Here’s the box score and here’s the rest from Tampa…

• As expected, Michael Pineda threw sliders as part of today’s 35-pitch bullpen and everything went well. Cesar Cabral also threw sliders for the first time since fracturing his elbow and everything is going fine with him as well. [Chad Jennings]
  • Mark Teixeira will rejoin the Yankees this weekend and continue rehabbing his wrist injury with the team in Tampa. He’s likely to stay behind once the season begins rather than return to New York. [Dan Barbarisi]
  • The Phillies will be in town for a night game on Wednesday, which is when Andy Pettitte will make his Grapefruit League debut. Derek Jeter is tentatively scheduled to play shortstop in that game as well. You’ll be able to watch that one on YES.

Here is your open thread for the evening. The Rangers and Nets are both playing, plus you’ve got USA vs. Puerto Rico in World Baseball Classic action (8pm ET on MLB Network). Talk about any of those games or whatever else is on your mind here. Enjoy.

1. trr says:

Is it me, or has Hafner looked terrible so far?

2. Big Member says:

Ladies and gentleman I have 6 spots open for the first anal RAB VIM (very intelligent members) Baseball Fantasy Draft.

Why intelligent? Thats because we are using very advanced submetrics. These are the stats:

Batters Stat Categories:
    Home Runs (HR), Stolen Bases (SB), On-base Percentage (OBP), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)

Pitchers Stat Categories:
    Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), Strikeouts per Nine Innings (K/9), Quality Starts (QS)

Its Head2Head and will be very very cumpetetive.

Draft time is Sat Mar 16 9:00pm EDT

League ID#: 104187
    League Name: RAB VIM MEMBERS
    Password: riverave

3. VO III says:

open threat for the evening? thems fighten words…

4. King George says:

The fact that Pineda was throwing sliders today is incredible. This is a seriously big revelation especially when you consider that he’s pain-free. Very excited to hear this news.

5. RetroRob (Live from Amsterdam) says:

Please, no open threats.

6. Cesar "Stairs" Cabral says:

I feel muy bien. Muchas gracias. I will shank you bitches.

7. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? says:

Cervelli has gunned down 7 of 9? She was a smoking hot…I hope he hit that 1st.

8. Alkaline says:

Hmm. I’m in a troll battling mood. I think responding only with memes to outrageous posts will suffice.

9. I was very disappointed in Team Italy today. They let DR just bully their way back into the game. I understand that they have an all-star lineup but man they totally lost their composure late in the game. When the game came down 3 run game you gotta let Grilli come out and get those crucial outs in the 7th. Can’t have an A ball pitcher and a AAA pitcher getting those outs against Hanley, Cano and co.

• forensic says:

Totally agree, very disappointing that they lost. Now that Cuba is out, the DR is the next one I’m rooting for to be sent home.

And even worse, for anyone who watched the early part of the game, Cano doubled in the first inning and then did ‘the claw’ when he got to second.

That’s almost a tradeable offense in itself.

10. Tom says:

The offense is looking rough (and not just today) – they had 2 hits through 7 innings before beating up on some lesser guys.

Obviously Cano will help greatly but the pitching is really going to have to excel to tread water in April until they get Grandy and hopefully Tex back in May. On the bright side both Nova and Phelps have looked good so far, so even if Hughes isn’t ready to start the season, the pitching should be OK.

Did anyone see Cano’s HR today? he hit it off the facing of the second deck in Miami (over a portion of the wall that had 392ft on it). The MLB announcer channeled Sterline with a “don’t cha know?” (and even gave props to Sterling after mentioning it)

• Tom says:

Sterline? ….Sterling (not sure how I managed to get an e on that)

• forensic says:

I still stand by my preference of starting both Nova and Phelps over Hughes whether he’s healthy or not (though I know it would never happen).

• jjyank says:

Really? If Hughes is healthy, I’d absolutely give him a leg up over both of those guys. Don’t get me wrong, I like Phelps and Nova. But Phelps has a very small track record and Nova was down right awful last season. Hughes had a pretty good 2012, I would prefer to gamble on him building on it than Nova and Phelps.

• forensic says:

Yup. I’ve always been a bit down on Hughes anyway (and it’s based on my preference that they certainly don’t resign him next year), but at this point it’s a short and long term decision. I think both Nova and Phelps could out-pitch him this year, but also in terms of looking forward, they’re both going to be starters next season so this is a help in keeping their innings up and it’s another season of full-time starting experience.

I would stick Hughes in the bullpen in either the long man role or short relief if it becomes a necessity.

• jjyank says:

I see your point about Nova and Phelps being longer term pieces, and I completely understand the notion of letting Hughes walk next season.

But, I very much disagree with Nova and Phelps out pitching him (assuming he’s healthy). It’s baseball, so anything can happen, but I am pretty confident in saying that a healthy Hughes pitches better than at least one of those two.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

While I expect Hughes to pitch better than at least one of those 2, wouldn’t it be great if Nova and Phelps show that they can be solid SPs this season and Pineda comes back strong? That could mean 4 of the 5 SP slots for next season could be filled with already signed/controlled players without resigning Hughes (and I’m not against resigning him if it looks like he’ll be good going forward).

Interesting.

I’d stick with the already-established pecking order and let the chips fall where they may.

• Laz says:

If Hughes puts together a 3.50 era 200 ip year would be a nice qualifying offer canidate. He would be in demand because he best sub 30′s starter next year.

• forensic says:

He’s never been within .70 ERA of 3.50 as a starter and only just cracked 190 IP last season.

Consider me skeptical.

• Well at least you admit you’re wrong. Nova or Phelps haven’t really proven anything. You have two above average seasons from Hughes and playoff and WS experience. Always go with proven over the unproven.

• forensic says:

Well, I just don’t see that Hughes has proven anything other than that he’s maybe barely average (though typically below average in ERA+).

And yes, Nova is about in a similar spot, but there’s a future component to this decision too, which is also really where Phelps comes in.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Hughes has proven that he’s average. Nova and Phelps haven’t.

Especially considering that last year Hughes had one bad month and was above average the rest of the season, while and Nova had one good month, coinciding with Interleague play, funnily enough, and was awful the rest of the season.

• forensic says:

One bad month? The 4.66 ERA in May wasn’t bad? The 5.19 ERA in September wasn’t bad? And I’m not even counting the 1.358 WHIP he had in August that may have a fluky low 3.86 ERA with it.

And I still question whether he’s really proven he’s average based on his below average ERA+’s.

• Bo Knows says:

FYI

that month, where Phil had the 4.66; 7 of his 19 total runs came in one start where he lasted 5.1 innings that was one bad start that ruins the entirety of his numbers.

Your also choosing to ignore the fact that his “fluky” 3.86 was also inflated due to one bad start where he gave up 7 runs as well as the fact that he was lights out from June through August. Did he fade in September, yes but its most likely he fatigued down the stretch since threw so many innings.

• forensic says:

That goes both ways. You’re discounting his one blowup start but still giving full credit to his great start against the powerhouse Mariners offense.

And then August is a similar thing. You’re discounting the disaster start but ignoring that he couldn’t finish 5 innings against the Tigers and that he couldn’t throw to second against the Sox giving him a gift of 4 unearned runs, all while not discounting a start against the O’s where he allowed 11 baserunners in 6 innings.

• Bo Knows says:

No, I’m giving him credit for the four months of above average production, save for a few scattered throughout that same time period. His bad April and mediocre September does not negate the other starts of his season.

And you know he had a complete game against those same Tigers, handled a very good Nationals offense and also had good showings against a hot Baltimore, and Oakland. One last thing what about his two starts in September, yes one was a shortened outing due to him suffering an injury but he was showing very good bounce back from his bad August (once again one of those starts was against Detroit)

• The Big City of Dreams says:

If you did that then where would Hughes go BP or traded for a bat?

• Tom says:

I’m not the biggest Hughes fan, but he seems to get a bad rap and is pitching in the worst park for an extreme flyball righthander. His peripherals last year were not all that different from Jered Weaver (slightly worse GB rate, very slightly better BB%, slightly better K%)

I like Phelps, but I’m not sold that he will be much more than a fringe starter or a very good relief arm. I do like how he works both sides of the plate (something Hughes should do more), but I’m not sure how his stuff holds up after going through the league a few times.

• forensic says:

You can’t ignore the park he pitches in, or especially give him credit for it, when it’s a huge part of the overall package that you’re considering.

• Get Phelps Up says:

He has much more value to the Yankees in starting than in the bullpen. I mean, in the bullpen he’d be what? the 6th inning guy? The long man? That seems like a waste in my opinion.

• TomH says:

You’ll be snarkily reminded that this is only spring training. Ignore that reminder. This team has been consistently hitting poorly. The pitchers are doing well, but no one is saying, “Ahh, it’s only spring training.” Pineda threw some sliders and was pain free. No one says, “Whatcha worried about? It’s only spring training.”

These hitters look like the 98 pound weakling in the old Charles Atlas ads, who has sand kicked in his face by the beach bully. It could be a brutal April.

• jjyank says:

You could be right…but yeah dude, it is only spring training. That goes for the good performances and the bad.

A couple years ago, I remember a guy named Jake Fox had a monster spring training with the O’s. If I remember right, he lead the entire MLB spring training players in home runs. He then went on to hit 2 home runs in 27 games in 2011, never to play in the majors again.

It would of course be great to see the Yankees play well, but in my opinion, it means nothing right now.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m encouraged by what I’ve seen from some pitchers. I’m putting *this* much above zero stock in it. We’ve seen pitchers dominate Spring before, make a team, and just make a seismic fart on the mound afterwards. As a matter of fact, Billy Traber is actually sitting right next to me right now. Say hi, Billy.

Teams suck to high heaven and look like completely different teams come Opening Day just about every year. If this were the 2012 lineup starting out this way, would you have blinked an eye?

• Havok9120 says:

You’d be absolutely right to call everyone out for doing that if they were also putting a ton of stock in the quite good pitching performances we’ve seen or the handful of guys who have torn the cover off the ball.

As it is, you’re basically telling everyone to look at everything that’s looked bad about the team and take it to heart while ignoring all the positives so far. At least be consistent.

11. Get Phelps Up says:

The attacks of RAB mobile seem to have have stopped, at least for me.

• Mike HC says:

I think the RAB mobile has been stopped in general. Even on my phone you can’t get the mobile site, which I like anyway. I would always have to switch it to the regular site anyway.

12. Sandeep Motwani says:

If Cervelli throws out 35% of baserunners, hits .250/.325/.400 over 350 AB’s and is above average for pitch framing, would that be good enough to satisfy the folks here for his half of the catcher platoon?

• Mike Eder says:

Slugging seems a bit high, but a .725 OPS is better than Martin’s. The big question is the pitch framing. Martin is one of the best framing catchers, and I’ve been really impressive with Cervelli’s glove this spring. Can’t wait to crunch the numbers.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I would be quite pleased and wet in my pants with that. Yes.

• MannyGeee says:

wake me up when they matter. As long as he doesn’t cost the team runs and continues his ‘fist-pumpin’ ways, he’s OK by me.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I would take that no questions asked.

• Bob Buttons says:

That’s starting catcher material, somewhat.

• BigLoving says:

I would be happy as a duck in a pond with that. The only issue I ever had with Cervelli was when he started playing catch with Granderson every time somebody attempted to steal. Knock on wood, but it seems as though he has corrected that big hiccup in his release.

As for his % of runners he catches, I can’t put too much stock into that number since Kuroda, Nova and Hughes make it easier to steal.

My offensive predictions for Cervelli this year- .265/.330/.380…which I can easily live with as long as his throwing mechanics on would be runners stays where it is at right now. I really think Cervelli will surprise many this year.

• forensic says:

That’s basically his offensive line from 2011. It’s actually somewhat close to what I would expect, and I’m greatly encouraged by what seems to be a big jump in his defense back to his early career levels.

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

If he does that (unlikely IMO), there should not be a platoon.

13. MannyGeee says:

Having a hard time rooting against the US OR against PR tonight.

That being said, I have been really impressed with two guys this WBC: Jimmy Rollins and Mike Aviles. Rollins could be an interesting SS option for someone in the hunt this July if he’s healthy and Philly (both of which i truly expect).

14. Heismanziel says:

Robbie hit a mammoth shot today. He is hitting .615, with 10 RBI, 3 Homers, thus far. Yikes.

15. MannyGeee says:

That Miami stadium is still ugly as hell. Can’t get used to those bright green walls and I refuse to believe that the rest of Miami looks like a pack of neon Crayola markers no matter how much they want to convince me of it.

• Heismanziel says:

The green walls are one thing, that fountain takes the cake for the most atrocious thing i have ever seen in a ballpark.

• MannyGeee says:

close up on that fucking thing now. what an atrocity…

It is loosely based on Jeff Loria’s management style: seems like a great idea after 1/2 dozen margaritas, but if you take a closer look it makes you want to kick a puppy.

• Heismanziel says:

It’s only a matter of time until the marlins pull a oregon on us and have different uniforms for every game.

• vicki says:

nike supports the ducks’ vegas showgirls-style costume changes because people actually watch oregon football thirteen times a year. marlins don’t have that kind of juice.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Actually, you describe the entirety of my former home in a nutshell.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Hey now, Jeff Loria’s managing style is carefully calculated to suck every single penny out of the team without him having to spend any money.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

The area around the stadium sure as hell doesn’t. I’ll tell you that right now.

I watched plenty of high school football at the Orange Bowl.

*sigh*

16. Chelo says:

Just want to say That im willing to donate so the Yanks resign Cano, that guys is something else.

17. MickeyP says:

Joe Mauer along with Ichiro probably have the best bat control in the game. I’ve always been a fan.

18. Steve O says:

Did not know Gene Monahan was the trainer for team USA. Just saw him in the dugout. It’s good to see he is doing well.

19. Heismanziel says:

Is there anything the rock cant do? Maybe we should see if he has time to be our stop gap for the first two months.

20. MannyGeee says:

Oh Giancarlo… why do you tease us like that?

21. Heismanziel says:

I would sell my soul for Giancarlo to be in pinstripes. What a badass.

22. Dalek Jeter says:

Mad respect to the MLBn, they’re interviewing a fan (and Iraq War Vet) who is obviously in a wheelchair, but they haven’t mentioned it once. Too often we look at the wheelchair bound as different, meanwhile they interviewed him like a normal person.

23. Dalek Jeter says:

and again, this guy with his airhorn deserves to be shot. in the testicles. first the right, then the left.

24. forensic says:

Uh oh, they just brought up Carlos Delgado. Guess that’ll be Cashman’s next call now…

:-)

• Ted Nelson says:

I think it’s pretty funny that people are making fun of calling Chipper Jones. The guy still crushes baseballs, and if he did want to play for the Yankees he would be a great acquisition.

Derrek Lee had wRC+s of 109 both of his last two seasons. That’s not what you want out of your 1B, but assuming he can still do it after a year off it’s also not bad for a fill-in.

25. Mike HC says:

I’m probably late to the party with this, but just heard about Doug Glanville compared the injured Yankees to Brokeback Mountain. Odd.

• Bo Knows says:

What pray tell, do the yankees have to do with a movie about two men engaging in a very passionate sexual relationship?

I’m going to guess he thinks the yankees are going to be screwed raw this season

26. MannyGeee says:

Mike Aviles flashing the cowhide. Cashman should make a call… seriously. He could spell Nix/Nunez/Dan Johnson and outhit anyone not named Cano on the opening day roster.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

What? Aviles is nowhere near as good a hitter as Gardner, Youk, Jeter, or Ichiro. He’s Cervelli with a doubles power but no walks.

• Ted Nelson says:

Aviles has a career wRC+ of 89, and it’s been at 74 and 86 the past two seasons. He has some value because he plays SS, but he might be the worst hitter in the Yankees’ opening day line-up if he’s at 3B and Cervelli is catching. This Yankees have no offense meme is getting out of control. Aviles is not even a clear upgrade over Nix at 3B, I wouldn’t say (though he probably is at SS).

• jesse says:

If Aviles, who had a 76 OPS+ in ~550 PA’s last year with Boston, could outhit anyone not named Cano on the Opening Day roster, the Yankees would be in a world of trouble.

27. Mike HC says:

Just heard someone in the booth reference this tournament “the classic.” Something just seems off about this. “The exhibition” sounds more on point.

28. MannyGeee says:

GIANCARLO! For the love of all things holy, save some of that for pinstripes.

29. forensic says:

Did Vasgersian really just call Torre ‘fiery and feisty’ during his time managing the Yankees???

Sorry, that’s not at all how I would describe him.

• Havok9120 says:

Yeah, that doesn’t seem right at all.

• MannyGeee says:

Are ‘fiery and eisty’ new school ways to say ‘asleep in the dugout’? Because that’s what I remember about the Joe Torre era. That, and a shit load of Bigelow Green Tea commercials.

• Barry's Gift Basket says:

FWIW, I remember the championships.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (Formerly RRR) says:

Seriously. The RAB crowd has a tendency to take managers with great but probably overrated reputations and demonize them (see LaRussa, Tony for another example).

I get the impression that RAB as a whole hates Torre as manager. They’ll deny it but the proof is in the comments. I mean, the dude won 4 WS. I know the manager doesn’t have a huge impact, but seriously…he won FOUR championships, and went to 6 WS. That has to count a little bit.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Not me. He frustrated me a bit those final years, but flags fly forever. I’m all for retiring #6 and giving him a plaque.

• Havok9120 says:

I wasn’t around for the heyday of his teams, but the guy needs to have his number retired and get a plaque in the Park.

That said, his inactivity in the later years drove me insane. The way the clubhouse reportedly stagnated after the WS years (corporate Yankee, blah blah blah) also would have had me pretty unhappy with him had I been paying much attention. That doesn’t change the above though.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (Formerly RRR) says:

Hey, I agree with both of you guys.

• MickeyP says:

Ha yeah. I can still see Torre leaned back on the bench with a bat between his legs, looking like he smells rotten cabbage.

• Bo Knows says:

I’m guessing fiery means “looks like he fell asleep” and fiesty means “someone put a finger under his nose and check to see if he’s breathing”

30. Manny's BanWagon says:

He was about as fiery and feisty as a 15 year old basset hound.

31. forensic says:

It’s pretty pitiful that Hosmer was the 2nd best 1B who would play (or that they contacted).

• MannyGeee says:

Could you imagine if Prince would have played? This would be a different team for sure.

• forensic says:

Yup, but even beyond him, what about Konerko? Allen Craig?

Hell, you could even push it to Freddie Freeman or Adam LaRoche. Even a couple others who could at least offer one big tool (such as power).

• MickeyP says:

Prince would have definitely changed the complexion of this team. But, if not Tex or Prince who would you take over Hosmer? Freeman, Davis, Laroche? Maybe. His addition to the team is not pitiful in my opinion.

32. forensic says:

I don’t know who this interviewer is, but how dumb do you have to be to ask Posada if he would like to come back and play the OF for the Yankees???

33. OldYanksFan says:

An interesting article.
    an-mvp-candidate
    And he only has 9 more years on his contract.

He might bounce back, but it is a cautionary tale on a long term deal for Cano.
    Just say NO to anything over 6 years.

• MannyGeee says:

Counterpoint: While Pujols’ ceiling was amongst the best we may ever see in our lifetime, Cano has been as consistent as anyone we’ll ever see in our lifetime. If given the choice, I will pay the money to someone who is consistently very good over someone who was off the charts for 4 years…

That said, that is a shit ton of money.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

I think you got that backwards. Pujols was a better hitter than Robbie’s ever been or ever will be every year for 10 years. His worst season over that span was his sophomore slump in 2002 when he only hit .314/.394/.561 with a .404 wOBA and a 150 wRC+; Miguel Cabrera’s career line is .318/.395/.561 with a .402 wOBA and a 148 wRC+.

Robbie, meanwhile, finally had his first offensive season that was as good as the worst of Pujols’ prime relative to his league. He’s only been a great hitter for the past 4 years, and he’s only been elite the past 3.

• Now Batting says:

This. I love me some Cano but offensively even he hasn’t been in Pujol’s league offensively or consistently. 10 straight years of 30 hr/ 100 RBI/ .300 avg

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Hated that article. Guy spends half the article talking about how Pujols is still great, but somehow not at “MVP Caliber” level.

If you were an Angel fan, would you take five more “great” seasons of him alongside Trout (and Hamilton for most of them), before the victory lap surely begins? I would.

You should be wary of ten seasons of any player, but I’m not sure this article is fuel for the fire.

• forensic says:

Given his long term trends, I would say it’s far from a sure thing that they’ll get anywhere near 5 more great years. And I certainly wouldn’t want to pay for any kind of victory lap on him, especially if they don’t end up winning anything.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“especially if they don’t end up winning anything”

You don’t know that when you sign the guy, though. You sign the big contract hoping they gracefully slide into their twilight years after a whole lot of winning.

Don’t know the “victory lap” concept. After it’s all said and done, it’s all I’m going to be remembered for on here. It’s my fucking burrito.

• forensic says:

I might be confused here.

Are you saying Angels fans should have no problem with his 9 more years if he may give them 5 ‘great’ years and 4 years of twilight whether or not he helps them win anything?

Maybe I’m off on the minutia of the victory lap.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh, I was just commenting on the fact that you don’t sign contracts in hindsight.

You hope you get the “victory lap” and not the “endless stroll of shame.” Oh, hi Alex. How’d you get here?

• MickeyP says:

The “victory lap” is probably in reference to a farewell tour. Unfortunately for the Angels, the Pujols farewell tour will most likely last for the last three to five years of his contract.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

The “victory lap” concept refers to the declining years on a long-term contract, where the team knows they’re never going to get the production to match the value of those final years going into it, but treat it as a “victory lap” for the player after years of, hopefully, great service to the team.

Ben Franklin came up with the concept.

34. MannyGeee says:

Alex Rios is a mess. Bat is a mess, defensively a mess. Just no bueno.

35. Bob Buttons says:

Yanks should look into John McDonald and Brett Pill.

Wouldn’t give up anything but maybe an organizational player for the former, something like Kyle Higashioka, while latter is worth maybe a Warren or just a mediocre relief prospect.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

MLBTR has a piece on the Yanks and Pill.

• Bob Buttons says:

Yeah I saw that and realized that he’s a better hitter than I thought he was (in the minors), and at his age it shouldn’t be very costly.

• Ted Nelson says:

McDonald has a career wRC+ of 58. Not sure he’s as good an option as what they have. Yet he’s due $1.5 million this season.

Pill has a little upside, but I wouldn’t give up Warren for a month and a half of him. I doubt that he’s as good as Dan Johnson (who absolutely crushes AAA P at a higher rate than Pill and has at least a mediocre track record against MLB P).

I think people start getting grass is greener syndrome. Like the uproar when the Yankees passed over AJP and Kottaras this off-season. All the focus on how completely awful the Yankees are warps perceptions. Can’t wait for the season to start.

• Bob Buttons says:

Can’t say I wish the Yankees would acquire them but it would be nice if they sniff on the issues a bit. Offensively McDonald is atrocious but defensively he’s very good. Of course it will be annoying to hear the commentators repeating about his “grittiness” but if it costs next to nothing (again, Higashioka), it wouldn’t make me too upset if they got him.

Pill, I’d say he has never got a legit shot in the majors. He can fake some LF while Johnson can fake some 3B. If the Yanks see something they like in Pill, they should at least knock the doors. A reliever with maybe 7th-inning upside wouldn’t be too much to give up.

Again, not saying that the Yankees should go out and get them, just saying if those were the price at least some consideration should be given.

36. Mike Eder says:

Kind of a slow day without a televised Yankee game, but I covered some mechanical changes made by Phelps, Nova, and Betances since 2011. GIF’s are included.

37. MickeyP says:

Jose Berrios reminds me a bit of Pedro. He’s 18 and a bit undersized. Also, he obtains an electric fastball with killer off speed stuff. I haven’t seen much of Hensley to compare the two. But, hopefully the front office didn’t make a mistake taking Hensley over this kid.

38. Get Phelps Up says:

These are the most important games Marlins Park will host in the next…5 years? 10 years?

39. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (Formerly RRR) says:

After a conversation with somebody just for shits and giggles we looked up the Westboro Baptist Church website, and it is HILARIOUS.

There reason for protesting a random Catholic Church was literally (I shit you not, this was their reason) PRIESTS RAPE BOYS!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! HAVE YOU NO SHAME?!

The punctuation and capitalization is how it is literally rendered.

Those fuckers are crazy, man. Like, completely batshit insane.

• Barry says:

Hopefully this next pope goes all medieval and commissions another crusade. Seriously though Idk why everyone hates us Catholics so much, I went to a Presbyterian service once for a family member and it wasn’t ten minutes into their service before some hate-mongering started. I know we’re not perfect but I’ve yet to hear a priest or monsignor or bishop in his homily bash any protestant denomination. The Catholic side gets bashed for all the scandal because of the centralization of the church; there is a central authority to attack, but the other denominations all have similar allegations.

• Now Batting says:

Can we get off of religion please.

• Barry says:

You could always put your eyes to next post down.

• Now Batting says:

Except, and I can’t believe I need to say this, you can’t know what a post is about until you read it. Keep the “god loves you” posts to yourself. I’m pretty sure posts about religion or politics are disallowed anyway.

• Bronx Jeers says:

It’s not. The wrestling clowns here constantly bash Republicans. It’s pretty comical when they each try to prove to each other who knows the least.
              Tough to understand the real world when you spend most of your time analyzing moves like the People’s Elbow and the Stone Cold Stunner.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Lets compare real world experiences one day and see who wins.

• Pat D says:

There’s a direct correlation between liking wrestling and hating Republicans? Wow. I always assumed most wrestling fans were Republicans since that’s what Glenn Beck told me.

Thanks for this insightful information. Now I know to just completely ignore you!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

They’re going to accidentally protest themselves one day.

• Pat D says:

I once saw a video on YouTube where Fred Phelps was talking about George Carlin’s death. However, the person spliced in clips of Carlin’s stand up so that it came off as Phelps saying something and Carlin coming back and calling him stupid and stuff. Pretty funny.

40. Havok9120 says:

Let me just say: It’s pretty great to be able to make someone’s night. Especially someone you love.

41. Bob Buttons says:

Today’s edition of “names that is at least worth a giggle”

Jermon Bushrod.