Mar

Open Thread: 3/2 Camp Notes

(AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

(AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

The seven-game losing streak is over. The Yankees won their second game of the Grapefruit League this afternoon, pounding a bunch of Tigers minor leaguers while their regulars stayed home and played a split squad game. Brett Gardner continued his molten hot spring with two hits and two steals, though Robinson Cano, Mark Teixeira, Matt Diaz, and Jayson all had hits as well. Chris Stewart hit a homer (!), if you can believe that.

Ivan Nova threw two scoreless innings and was really, really sharp. He threw a ton of strikes and was living down in the zone. Hopefully that continues and carries over into the regular season. David Aardsma and Clay Rapada each allowed a run while southpaw Francisco Rondon continued to impress (at least me, I don’t know about you) with two strikeouts in a scoreless inning. He just needs to work on locating his fastball a bit better, but he’s got a real easy delivery and an out-pitch breaking ball. I’m a fan. Anyway, here’s the box score and here’s the rest from Tampa…

• The Yankees announced the first round of roster cuts following the game. First baseman Kyle Roller and right-handers Corey Black, Matt Daley, Nick Goody, Shane Greene, Bryan Mitchell, Zach Nuding, Mikey O’Brien, and Ryan Pope were all reassigned to minor league camp. Daley, who has a few years of big league time, is the only real surprise. The Yankees still have 74 (!) players in big league camp.
  • Derek Jeter began moving side-to-side while taking ground balls. Unsurprisingly, he looked pretty stiff during the drill thanks to that surgically repaired left ankle. [John Harper]
  • The Yankees have Eduardo Nunez and Mick Kelleher working on a new throwing motion in an effort to cut down on his errors. They’re basically shortening his motion and trading some arm strength — which Nunez has plenty to spare — for accuracy. Will it work? Unlikely. They tried this a few years ago as well. [George King]
  • In case you missed it earlier, Phil Hughes (bulging disk) has been cleared to play catch while Boone Logan (elbow) and Slade Heathcott (thumb) will be shut down for a few days. MRIs came back clean.
  • The travel squad for tomorrow’s game against the Red Sox is pretty light on projected big leaguers, with Gardner, Nunez, and Juan Rivera being the one ones to really qualify. Adam Warren gets that start and the game will be available on YES.

Here is your open thread for the night. The Nets are the only local team in action tonight, so talk about whatever you like. Enjoy.

1. Jersey Joe says:

Does anyone see anything in Kyle Roller? Like when Jeter retires and we can have a normal DH again, would Roller be able to function as a part time DH/backup 1B until Tex retires?

2. Andrew J. says:

Going to Sox yanks game Sunday. Only 3 big leaguers although I don’t think Juan Rivera qualifies. And they r scalping these tics for upward of $75-100 apiece. Go figure.

3. Eddard says:

What Nova needs to do is get back to his bread and butter, the sinking fastball. Last year they tried to make him a strikeout pitcher and that’s not what he is. He’s a groundball pitcher that was leaving too many ball up in the zone last year. If Nova and Hughes can pitch like they’re capable of we’ll have one of the best starting staffs in baseball.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

So glad you’re here to analyze these young pitchers and inform the experts on the Yankees what they should do. If they would just follow what you say, it would be so easy for the team to have 5 aces.

• Preston says:

I’ve read interviews where Nova talks about his sinker saying he doesn’t throw one, his FB just has natural sink. So his FB flattening out last season probably wasn’t intentional. It would be a much easier fix if he just had to start throwing sinkers more than straight FBs but I fear it has more to do with him losing his feel for his natural sinker.

4. Cris Pengiucci says:

Going to a friend’s for a scotch tasting tonight. Last year we had 22 different single malts. 2 years ago we had 17. I’m sure we’ll have 24 or 25 this year. A great opportunity to explore the subtle differences between them (at least until the 5th or 6th. After that, I’m sure I won’t be able to taste anything. :-)

• trr says:

have one for me!

• Cris Pengiucci says:

I’ll have more than one for you if you like. Have any favorites?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Not a single, but I do love me some Spiced Tree. Need to pick up a bottle at some point. Still finishing off a Johnnie Double Black, which was pretty awesome. Have a blast. I hope they’ve got food!

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Always have plenty to eat. I’m bringing an Abelour 10, a Talisker 10 and a Dalwhinnie 15. Last year’s favorite was a Scapa 16. Of course, the Macallen 18 and anything 18 or older is always in demand and draws plenty of interest. We’ll see what gems we turn up this year.

Oh, and there are even a couple of other Yankee fans there (but no one that follows as closely as the folks on here).

• Gordon m says:

When I drink whisky, which is rarely, I always stick with Glen Fiddich and Glen Morangie. I really should be more of a whisky drinker as I am Scottish.

• Austin's Bat says:

This might be too late for you, but Highland Park 12 or 18 is extremely underrated. Tobermory 12 is spectacular. We had a bottle of Auchentoshan over Christmas and it was tasty. Laphroaig is worth a try if – very unique.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Don’t recall seeing a Highland Park or a Tobermory (will have to look at my picture to be sure). I enjoyed the Auchentoshan. Yes, Laphroaig is “unique”. Try a Talisker sometime. Very smokey and richer in taste than Laphroaig. Those 2 are definitely “cigar” Scotches.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

My picture confirms my recollection; no Highland Park or Tobermory there last night. I missed having a Jura there (one that I brought last year. I’ll look to bring them for next year.

Anyone now an easy way to embed a picture into a post? I’ll show the pic of all the scotches we had available last night. I don’t have a flickr or other picture posting account to link from.

5. Stratman9652 says:

Is there a worse fielding infielder out there than Nunez who projects to be on a MLB team this year? I don’t say that to be mean I’m just curious if anyone jumps to anybodies mind.

• trr says:

nope. matter of fact, i agree with you

• Get Phelps Up says:

Mark Reynolds and Starlin Castro come to mind.

• vicki says:

and pedro alvarez, but he’s about to lose his job.

• Jacob the OG (formerly Jacob) says:

I don’t know about castro, at least he has range and makes the errors he does in a full season where nunez makes those errors in less than half. They are both relatively young though and I think they will come into there own with the glove.

• Preston says:

Honestly, and I feel dirty for saying it, but is Jeter much better. They are polar opposites of each other but the results are pretty similar. Jeter has the range of a 1B, but catches everything and makes good throws. Nunez gets to everything and has a cannon, but botches a ton of plays. Nunez turns outs into hits in a more memorable way, but Jeter does it nearly as often.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Jeter’s lack of range only gives up singles though.
        Nunez’ throwing puts women and children in the stands at risk and leads to extra bases.

Also, fwiw: 2010-2012, SS only
        Nunez: -10.2 UZR, -11 DRS in 541.2 innings (-18.8 UZR and -20.3 DRS/1000 innings)
        Jeter: -26.4 UZR, -42 DRS in 3537.1 innings (-7.5 UZR and -11.9 DRS/1000 innings)

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jeter – post ankle surgery – falls to NunEE’s level this year though.

6. YankeesJunkie says:

Got to say congrats to Chien Ming Wang who while being a Yankees fan was one of my favorite pitchers to watch and his career just got destroyed from a freak accident. Also, got to love overnight baseball with WBC and it would be awesome if they pushed it a couple weeks back and some of the better American players played such as Halladay, Lee, Sabathia, Harper, Trout, etc….a real US team would be fun to watch.

• Ethan says:

When picking a top American team you include Harper? Maybe in a couple of years but not yet. For Center I’d take McCutchen or for left would be Ryan Bruan.

Here’s a question to build on: if you could pick players for an American WBC team who would it be? For simplicity let’s just talk about starting pitchers and starting position players.

• Steve says:

C Posey
        1B Fielder
        2B Pedroia
        SS Tulowitzki
        3B Longoria
        LF Braun
        CF Trout
        RF Harper? Not sure. Heyward?

SP Kershaw
        CL Kimbrel

• YankeesJunkie says:

I understand that Harper may not be #1 OF, but he is better than what the US is putting out, I mean Heyward, Bourn, Ellsbury, Granderson, etc. the U.S. however, the main point is that if the US were to put a 40 man A team it would demolish any team in any long term series due to its depth in starting pitching, OF strength and well basically everything.

7. vicki says:

mike, you gotta get some nerds up in here to fix this joint.

• Betty Lizard says:

What hits so clutch, what catchers grow
      Out of this stony rubbish? Girardi,
      You cannot say, or guess, for you know only
      A heap of broken prospects, where the Jeter sidesteps,
      And Phil Hughes gives no innings, and Logan no relief,
      And the dry Stewart no sound of cheer. Only
      There is shadow under this metal bleacher,
      (Come in under the shadow of this metal bleacher),
      And I will show you something different from either
      Your division at morning striding behind you
      Or your division at evening rising to meet you;
      I will show you fear in the defense of Nunez.
      Frisch weht der Wind
      die Steinbrenner Feld

8. Poinsettia says:

Just asking as ala Rex Ryan, does Girardi’s wife have a tattoo of Gardner anywhere on her body. Having seen her strutting in the outfield”
    shagging” her kids fly balls, she strikes me as the tattoo type.

• Tom says:

Even better is if you read through the comments – it brings up Dave Cameron’s assessment of Cano when he was in the minors:

Cano

I guess I should have nominated Cano in the most overrated prospect thread the other day. That he still gets talked up as some kind of top prospect (not pointing at John here, by the way) amazes me.

I’ve seen Cano play a lot, and I’m not even sure he’d be a productive Triple-A player. Let’s start with his defense; it’s brutal. He has terrible footwork and simply lacks any kind of instincts around the bag. There’s no way you want him playing up the middle. He might have the raw speed to not be awful in left field, but that’s about as kind as I can be regarding his glovework.

Offensively, he’s a fastball hitter. He sits dead red on every pitch and waits for a mistake. Any good breaking ball or offspeed pitch will have him out in front. He’s mostly a gap hitter, lacking the power to drive the ball consistently over the wall. To add insult to injury, he’s also a terrible baserunner.

In his prime, I think he could hit .280/.320/.400 while playing awful defense. Yipee.

by david cameron on Feb 20, 2005 10:17 PM EST

It’s one thing to be wrong on a prospect, but when ending it with snark it’s hard to get a pass on it.

9. forensic says:

Anybody else notice that BR.com is keeping track of ST stats this year, and in addition to that, they have a new thing called Opponent Quality which keeps track of every batter/pitcher faced and averages it out based on the level they played last year.

It’s nothing really early shattering, and most of it is pretty intuitive, but it’s kind of cool anyway to be able to see it compiled for some guys.

• forensic says:

*earth, not early…

• Barry says:

I noticed.. It’s nice to see what people are doing because I rarely watch ST games. I just wish all sites would link to fangraphs. Their pages are easier to read and the format is just way better. Guess it’s personal preference but I just tend to avoid BBRef.

10. Ethan says:

Is anyone else’s browser going straight to mobile view when viewing a single post? On the homepage it’s fine but once i click on either the comments or post title it takes me to mobile view.

• Barry says:

Seems to clear up after I leave a comment. Been going on for days I think but I just started getting my first taste earlier.

• forensic says:

Yeah, I’ve been having it for a couple of days now. I mentioned it in last night’s open thread and Mike replied that they’re aware of it and I guess trying to fix it. It sure is pretty annoying though.

11. vicki says:

wow, angels. that was cold. just keep alienating the kid.

• Barry says:

He’ll make plenty back in arbitration and then hopefully ices Anaheim and comes to the Bronx where he belongs.

• RetroRob says:

My guess is the Angels have a set pay schedule for their pre-arbitration players. I think the Yankees (if not most teams) do the same. It actually eliminates problems since there is no thought that goes into it, no decisions.

• forensic says:

Exactly, I don’t see the big deal about this. It’s been one season. You want some money? I’m sure they’d be glad to give you about $20 million over the next 5 years…

• vicki says:

noone (with the possible exception of his agent) is suggesting they serve up millions before they have to, but it was one of the greatest rookie campaigns in history. not to mention they’ve already broken his heart a little by moving him to left.

a couple hundred k can generate a lot of good will, witness jeter’s post-roy renewal. for one.

• forensic says:

Sorry, I didn’t phrase the second part of that very well. I know no one here was suggesting millions. I was basically speaking to his agent that if he wants millions, offer to sign a 5 year, $20 million contract like Longoria did immediately. Then he’ll be set for life no matter what. I would imagine even the Angels would agree to that, though no one ever accused them of making a ton of good decisions lately, moving him from CF among them.

12. Barry says:

Saw “Dark Skies.” All I can say is average. Not scary like “Paranormal Activity” but also not lame like “Chernobyl Diaries.” Just an average movie and I didn’t leave feeling raped for 16.25 but also not totally in love with it. Decent movie I guess.

13. Barry says:

Food for thought on Cano’s contract:

Just for fun/ Think the link should work.

14. Bob Buttons says:

Anyone know why I can only see the actual threads in “mobile theme” as indicated on the bottom? The homepage is fine but the individual posts are all mobile themed (and when I click the mobile theme off it goes to off but then refreshes and everything is back to “on”.)

Not the greatest annoyance but now I can’t tell between replies and normal comments.

• Bob Buttons says:

Just to specify it happens once every week or so and then when I comeback everything is back to normal… (And it happened on multiple computers)

15. Robert says:

Tyler Austin looks better every day.

16. Dalek Jeter says:

Possibly the best diving catch I’ve ever seen:

17. Wayne says:

What happened to José Ramírez pitching? Why Adam warren ?