Mar

Spring Training Game Thread: Captainless

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Derek Jeter is not playing against the Red Sox this afternoon, but that’s not much of a surprise. He was scratched from yesterday’s lineup with what was deemed mild left ankle inflammation, and given his importance to the team, it’s obvious they were going to proceed with caution. I suppose he could return tomorrow night against the Twins, but if not he may not return to the lineup until Saturday since the Yankees are on the road Thursday and Friday. Either way, they’re wise to play it safe in mid-March. Here’s the starting nine…

1. LF Brett Gardner
  2. SS Eduardo Nunez
  3. 3B Kevin Youkilis
  4. 1B Juan Rivera
  5. RF Ben Francisco
  6. 2B Jayson Nix
  7. C Chris Stewart
  8. DH Thomas Neal
  9. CF Melky Mesa

And on the mound is the lefty from San Diego, Vidal Nuno. CC Sabathia is throwing in a minor league game across the street. Here is the day’s second string, courtesy of Chad Jennings.

Available Pitchers: RHP David Robertson, RHP Joba Chamberlain, RHP Cody Eppley, RHP Mark Montgomery, and LHP Josh Spence. Joba is scheduled to throw back-to-back days for the first time this spring.

Available Position Players: C Bobby Wilson, 1B Dan Johnson, 2B Corban Joseph, SS Gil Velazquez, 3B Jose Pirela, LF Ronnier Mustelier, CF Mason Williams, and RF Addison Maruszak are all coming off the bench. This will be Williams’ first appearance in big league camp this spring.

There’s some rain in the forecast this afternoon, but it’s not supposed to start for another few hours. The game is scheduled to start a little after 1pm ET and can be seen on YES, ESPN, and MLB.tv (no local blackouts). Enjoy.

1. Laz says:

Musty needs his rest, he will be playing 162 this year.

2. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? says:

My first TV game this year!! Looking forward to an epic battle.

• Freddy's Dead says:

Hi, all. My RAB debut comment and also first TV game (just finally had cable installed exclusively so I can watch baseball). This Boston pitcher looks tough, no? I like Vidal so far, though it’s so early. His off speed stuff looks nice and nasty. I’m feeling reasonably good about the Yankees, despite all the gloom.

• Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? says:

Oddly enough, I’m feeling reasonably good myself. Even put my money where my mouth is and grabbed 15-1 odds for Yanks W.S. a couple of weeks ago (ok, before the injuries piled on.)

3. Really excited to see Mason Williams on tv today.

4. Eddard says:

The only thing good about the Jete injury in Spring Training is that it gives Eduardo Nuney a chance to shine. I have no doubt he’ll make the roster, Nix will make it too.

5. Freddy's Dead says:

Oh, thought I should mention, formerly Freddy’s Mom. I miss the Sweatster, so I will keep him in our thoughts for one memorial season, I suppose.

6. Mads says:

Its ALL about Jackie Bradley on ESPN, sure it’s a good prospect and so on, but they sure are milking that story.

7. Eddard says:

Sacrifice flies, putting the ball in play and driving in RISP. Such a delight to watch after last year’s boom or bust. This is why I think the offense might actually be better this year once fully healthy.

8. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? says:

Um, I hate Jackie Bradley Jr. already.

9. MannyGeee says:

OK, so its only a ST game, but I am relatively giddy over watching the Sox get pounded by our B team.

• Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? says:

That is nice and the announcers are in mid-season form fellating a red sock rookie.

• MannyGeee says:

Worst part is… by all accounts he seems like a good kid. ESPN is making me want to wish him an ACL blowout

10. MannyGeee says:

Ha… Youk is disliking the ball & strike calls at mid-season form already I see…

• lightSABR says:

A pity he can’t seem to do anything else, though. I’m really cheering for the guy, but it looks to me like his eye is gone. But maybe Doubront just knows how to fool him.

• lightSABR says:

Yeah, that at-bat didn’t look any better. Yuck. I hope he gets it figured out.

• MannyGeee says:

His spring has not been as bad as you’re making it out to be, you know.

• lightSABR says:

Oh, I’m not saying he’s going to be worthless or anything–I know he’s had some good games and some big hits. Just that the few at-bats I’ve actually watched were ugly.

I’m not worried about his power. I’m just hoping his OBP can sneak up a bit.

• lightSABR says:

Wow – yeah. I didn’t realize his spring SLG was so high: .793. Here’s hoping he gets within 100 points of that during the regular season. Heck, 200.

11. MannyGeee says:

I am watching this game on mute on account of being in the office. I have seen about a 30 to 1 ratio time for Farrell to Girardi, and about a 200 to 1 ratio of Bradley to anyone on the Yankees.

I fucking hate ESPN

12. trr says:

Newsday reporting Derek Jeter has received a cortisone shot and may not be ready for Opening Day:

13. Greg says:

is this where we start blathering/predicting that Nuno will be the Yankees #4 starter this year, ROY and future HOF’r?

14. Chesser says:

Rush transcript of Lou Pinella in the bottom of the 8th this afternoon:
    “Now I don’t want to use the word ‘raped’, but the Blue Jays took a lot of players away from the Marlins.”