Apr

Sherman: Pineda threw in the low-90s during simulated game

Via Joel Sherman: Michael Pineda “topped out in the low-90 mph range and threw well” during his first simulated game earlier this week. That is pretty darn encouraging considering it was his first real game action and that he’s not even a full year out from surgery yet. For what it’s worth, Joe Girardi told Chad Jennings the Yankees did not have a radar gun on the right-hander the other day. Who knows.

Pineda, 24, threw a handful of live batting practice sessions in recent weeks before the simulated game. He only threw one inning, but that’s not at all surprising. His workload will gradually increase in the coming weeks. Sherman says the Yankees are hopeful Pineda can begin an official 30-day minor league rehab assignment in early-May, and if all goes well he could jump right into the rotation in early-June or be optioned to Triple-A for more seasoning service time issues. I think Ivan Nova‘s performance is going to play a big role in that decision.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Kvothe says:

How does the service time issues work out?

• Jerkface says:

The Yankees will have lost a year and a half of service time by the time Pineda is done rehabbing, provided no setbacks. Which means he will be a free agent at the end of 2016.

If they option Pineda to the minor leagues for 20 days, he will be a free agent at the end of 2017. So essentially they could get an extra year for the low cost of 20 days. Which, given he is coming back from injury, they might as well do.

I’ll be very disappointed if they don’t.

2. Luis Castillo (Not the one who dropped the ball) says:

YEY! it’s pretty much all have to say at this point.

3. Eddard says:

If Phil can keep pitching like he is and Pineda can take over at 5th starter we’ll have one of the best rotations in baseball. Right now it’s stop heavy. I’d like to see Phil have success against a better offense than AZ and TB. I think he ran into a couple weak hitting teams that don’t hit many HRs but the last two starts have been encouraging.

• CountryClub says:

It’s easy for some to forget, but Hughes has proven that he can have long stretches of success in the past. When he’s pitching well it really doesnt matter who he’s going up against.

Via Jack Curry:

In 2012, Hughes had an 11-start streak in which he was 8-2 with a 3.34 earned run average. In 2010, Hughes began the season 10-1 with a 3.17 ERA.

• Steve (different one) says:

The Rays don’t have a great offense, but they were hot coming into the game last night and Hughes stopped that.

4. Midland TX says:

That’s not even the best thing in the article.

“AT THE time of the Jesus Montero-for-Michael Pineda trade, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said he was giving away the best prospect he ever had surrendered in a deal. Montero drew Miguel Cabrera comparisons as a hitter. But he has been closer to Miguel Cairo as a Mariner.

Montero’s .674 OPS since joining Seattle last year was not only nearly exact to Cairo’s career .675, but was 106th out of 114 players with at least 600 plate appearances in that time frame.”

5. Guns says:

Yeah, that’s like “holy crap” good news. That’s basically where he was at when he got hurt. I wasn’t expecting him to throw anything over 90mph for a while.

• The Real me says:

I agree, this is far ahead of where I was expecting to hear him being. While he’s a long way away from contributing to the rotation on a regular basis, it seems that there’s a dim light way down that tunnel that’s continuing to get brighter ….

6. BJ says:

Anyone remember what his peak velocity readings were pre-surgery?

7. Dan says:

I have believed this since he had his surgery, I think I would call his agent RIGHT NOW and offer him 6 years at 30 mil. If he comes back and pitches the way we are all hoping he can, then you just got yourself a top line guy for 5 mil a year. If he DOESNT, well, its 5 mil a year and not a huge hit. He wont make a ton thru arb, but given that you have a chance to buy out a few FA years here, I would offer him his first fortune right now. 30 millions dollars can be very difficult to say no to when youve had your shoulder cut open.

8. Havok9120 says:

So Clay Rapada called Joba “‘stache” on twitter this morning.

Excellent. Even with that monstrosity gone, Joba should be reminded of its awfulness at every opportunity.

• hogsmog says:

It’s still his fucking MLB gameday picture, and I don’t think those ever change in the middle of a season.

9. jjyank says:

Uhhh no. Just no.

10. Mandy Stankiewicz says:

Righteous news!
    Ha. Do you think Joe will refer to him as Pinney?

11. Manny's BanWagon says:

Seems to be a pretty big discrepancy as to when Pineda might come back.

As per Wally Matthews ESPN chat today:

First of all, when is Pineda coming back? I spoke to “people who know” yesterday and they told me he is in the very beginning stages of his rehab and they would be surprised if he pitches very much, if at all this season. He had a serious shoulder surgery and thew rule of thumb is he needs a full year of rehab before being ready to pitch. that could mean we won;t see him again until next April

• Havok9120 says:

That’s the first time I’ve heard anything near that about Pineda. Given the writer….yeah.

• FEED.ME.MORE! says:

Seeing as how he was injured last year, wouldn’t the full year of rehab be up THIS year?

• Jim Is Bored says:

It’s wally. Don’t listen to him.

Manny is just the resident “I’ll balance every single positive comment out with a negative one” guy.

• hmelawyer says:

A full year of rehab would put him back in May. He had surgery at the end of April 2012. Next April would be two full years of rehab.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m surprised the reply wasn’t “Who’s Michael Pineda?”

12. jobas fat stache says:

Until Pineda faces Real hitters, and gets them OUT, I would hold off on writing any checks. Lastly, Clay owes me free tickets for stealing my moniker.

• Pablos hard hearted harbinger of haggis says:

Until Pineda faces Real hookers, and gets them OUT, I would hold off on writing any checks. Lastly, Clay owes me free tickets for stealing my moniker.

13. your mom says:

I had him sitting at 96, topping out at 101 mph.

14. Peter North says:

Cue the setback in 5, 4, 3, 2…

15. Bo Knows says:

Sitting in the Low 90′s when all he has done is essentially stretching and conditioning is very very good. I said this before months ago that his fb may never be the 95-99 mph but it is not unlikely for him to regain a good chunk of his heat and sit more 92-95 with maybe the occasional 96.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

This isn’t Brandon Webb’s surgery.

Anibal, Valverde and Clemens got their velocity all the way back, I don’t see why Pineda shouldn’t be able to as well.

• Bo Knows says:

If this was the same as Brandon Webb, then Pineda wouldn’t even be throwing 90.

Clemens had some chemical help, It’s impossible to predict Pineda coming back exactly the same after what is still major surgery. I was the first to tell people to relax when news broke about the initial injury, and still am one of Pineda’s biggest supporters but even I think its a little much to think he will be able to reach 99 ever again. That’s something most pitchers can’t do when they have no injury history, let alone someone with the injury Pineda had. Also it’s not like the fastball will be mediocre I’m predicting an average velocity of about 93 mph which is only 1.5 mph off from what he averaged his rookie year, and still matches up with best fb’s in the game