May

Monday Night Open Thread

Although the five-game winning streak ended earlier this afternoon, the Yankees wrapped up their eight-game road trip with a blowout win in the second game of the doubleheader. They won six of those eight games, so yeah, the trip was a smashing success. This team makes no sense. Nothing about them says they should have the most wins in MLB (24) at this very moment, but here we are. It’s remarkable.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the evening. The Mets are playing the Cardinals on ESPN, plus you’ve also got NBA and NHL playoff action as well. The (New York) Rangers are playing Game Seven of their first round matchup against the Capitals, so that should be a nerve-wracking blast. Talk about any of that and more, have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. W.B. Mason Williams says:

LET’S GO BLUESHIRTS

2. Jenny C says:

for 15 plus years we’ve been Goliath — the favorite.

now because of injuries and age, we became the underdog.

no one at first, no one at short, no one at third, no one in left, no one behind the plate, and an injury plagued overachiever at center.

yet a bunch of misfit toys that nobody wanted banded together to become the little engine who could. We’ve gone from glamour to gritty.

I like these guys. I really do. And with the exception of Jeter, I’m afraid we’ll go backwards when the complacent underachievers return.

3. LarryM Fl says:

What a pleasure to watch some of our young guys play. Phelps, Nuno, Joseph and Warren did quite well. Maybe the eventual revision of this team over the next couple of years will be a little softer than the expected hard landing.

• jtb01283 says:

It is an absolute joy to watch young guys play. I have been wanting this for years. There is no reason to have $230m payroll/roster full of bums that hit .250, hit only HR’s and no small ball while sucking with RISP. I much prefer our 96 team (as a type) than 2009. Yes, we are hitting HR’s but we are getting some clutch-hits which has been very non-existent under Cashman. I am worried too when all the old men come back….

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

This team hits worse with RISP, and is worse at small ball than last years team.

You’ve been wanting that for years?

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

…You’d rather win 96 games than 103 and the World Series?

Suit yourself.

• Rick says:

+1. F*ck watching 90+ win teams my entire life that lead the league in home runs and runs scored virtually every year. Forget going to the playoffs 15 of the last 16 years. Nothing but bums on the roster during that time.

Ok, so it wasn’t really a “+1.” You know what grinds my gears? Comments like these. Young guys have come and gone for years on this team. I hate to break it to you with this year’s team, but it hasn’t been dominated by young guys. It’s been Wells, Hafner, Overbay, Ichiro, Stewart, Kuroda, Pettitte, Cano, Sabathia, etc. Why complain when there is no salary cap in a sport and your favorite team uses their one absolute advantage over every other team by using their financial power? Stop pining for something “better” and enjoy your team as they continue this ridiculous run of success. It won’t last forever. You want to watch young guys play every day? Go watch the Astros. Tell me how much you enjoy it.

• Preston says:

+1, and not like the plus one you gave. More of a +1 in the sense that I am showing my support for your opinion.

• BFDeal says:

Do you actually have any working knowledge of baseball or do you just make shit up in your head?

• MannyGeee says:

No clutch hitting, except for the 6 run job they just hung less than 5 hours ago… Thanks for playing

• forensic says:

Since no one has gone there yet, this team is hitting .253 as a team, almost exactly the .250 that you’re bitching about.

4. Tim says:

I think it makes perfect sense that they have the most wins in MLB. They have outstanding pitching this season. And a great bullpen. If you have great pitching, great things can happen.

5. KeithK says:

I hate to seem like I’m quoting Sterling with his “You can’t predict baseball!” schtick, but sometimes the game will surprise you. When the surprise is a good one you just have to sit back and enjoy it.

6. Pseudoyanks says:

Let’s hope it makes a little bit of sense…or the regression to the mean won’t be any fun at all.

7. Tom says:

Amazing that they gave up just 1 run in 18 innings against a pretty good hitting club… without any of the Big 3 starters going and the back end of the bullpen not pitching (Ro/Mo)

I wonder what they do when Joba comes back. Assuming Mo/Ro/Jo/Lo that leaves 2 short guys and one long man. Nuno in long relief and some mix out of Kelley/Claiborne/Warren(?) for 1-2 inning type guys?

It also will be interesting what they do when Youkilis comes back – I think that might be the end of Ben Francisco (and they go with 2 backup IF, 1 backup OF)

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Nuno gets sent down for Granderson tomorrow, then Joba takes Marshall’s place (just because Nuno and Warren will be unavailable at least the next couple of days).

• Tom says:

Yeah I was thinking longer term.

I agree that either Nuno or Warren get sent down for 10 days just because of availability. As Warren only threw 51 pitches, he might only need 2 days off; so Nuno probably draws the short straw in the short term.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Given how little Nuno was used out of the pen, I have a feeling they leave him in AAA to get/stay stretched out until they need another starter again.

8. Get Phelps Up says:

Thank goodness we won the last game to avoid the most embarrassing day in sports history.

9. pat says:

I didn’t get a chance to see the game, but I heard Nuno gave up a few hits….. Just to see how it feels.

10. Nick says:

CC and Hughes gonna need to bring their A+++ game these next two days

11. goterpsgo says:

That footage was beautiful – brings back memories… *dabs away tears*

It reminds me of Peyton watching Eli win it against his nemesis. In the Big Game. Twice.

12. MannyGeee says:

I hate to say it, and I love me some Cano, and I hope he never ever ever ever ever leaves NY, and then when he retires he stays in the clubhouse and smiles and hangs out and bangs strippers for the rest of his days, BUT:

Should he get all money crazy and sign for an A Rod contract in Texas (my dark horse for the Cano Sweepstakes, BTW), I think I could get behind CoJo as a real 2B option. Sure, SSS, but I felt he looked OK out there and with some reps he could be respectable to as good as any 2B not named Cano or Pedroia (better than average, FWIW). And I think the bat is for real.

OK swing away….

• I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

I think the Yanks should do whatever they can to sign Cano. Hopefully more $$$ and less years (heck, what do I care, not my money). Maybe the scrapping of Plan 189 could help that.

Suppose CoJo doesn’t work out and Cano walks? Then what? (others more knowledgeable than myself on here may know). Part of me wanting Cano back is getting paranoid by the ever-thinning free agent classes.

If we do actually lock up Cano, and Cojo proves himself, I wonder what he could contribute to a trade for idk, shortstop help?

13. Jayson says:

Three to nil, Rangers. How sweet it is.

14. I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Couldn’t watch either game (damn finals as such), but seeing a 6 spot up on the bus ride sure made me feel good.

Cano, Loverbay, Wells. We might have to abandon that “its a different guy every night” narrative soon.

15. The Big City of Dreams says:

And that’s why many people can’t stand John Cena.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh God, yes. So unnecessary.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

The Shield is going to lose eventually hell they have lost house shows by DQ but did they really need Super Cena/overcome the odds to be a main feature on the show tonight.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I thought Rollins taking a pin was a mistake as well. These guys should not be losing, at all, on television.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Yea it was weird to see Rollins eat the pin. I guess with them getting all the gold this weekend it makes up for it.

16. nsalem says:

Since our playoff run started in 1995, this is the Yankee’s 3rd best record on May 13th (tied with the 2002 team). The only teams that had a higher WP was 1998 and 2003. Doesn’t mean anything but nice to think about.

17. goterpsgo says: