May

Yankees place Eduardo Nunez on the DL, call up Alberto Gonzalez

The Yankees have placed Eduardo Nunez on the 15-day DL due to his left ribcage issue, the team announced. Infielder Alberto Gonzalez will be recalled from Triple-A to take his roster spot. Mark Teixeira has been transferred to the 60-day DL to clear a 40-man roster spot.

Nunez, 25, has not played since leaving last Sunday’s game with soreness. The Yankees have played without a backup infielder for six games since then, but that couldn’t go on any longer. Nunez has hit a weak .200/.290/.275 (56 wRC+) in 95 plate appearances as the starting shortstop during Derek Jeter‘s absence. The 30-year-old Gonzalez was acquired from the Cubs in a minor trade a few days ago. The 33-year-old Teixeira (wrist) has just started taking full batting practice and is weeks away from a return.

1. Ricardo Rodriguez says:

ALBERTOOOOOOOO GOOONZAAALESSS!

2. JonS says:

Yea!!!! said no one.

3. JonS says:

Note: I like Nunez, and I know he isn’t hitting. lol

4. Eddard says:

It’s a morning of mourning in NY today for Eduardo Nuney. Poor guy finally gets his chance to play everyday for 3-4 months and can’t stay on the field. Amazing how the team continues to win with the starting left side of the infield on the DL AND the replacement left side of the infield on the DL.

5. Travis L. says:

So I wonder this…is Gonzalez going to start at SS and Nix at 3B, or are we going to stick with Nix at SS and Nelson at 3B, with Gonzalez as a backup?

• JohnnyC says:

Backup who allows Girardi more freedom to pinch-hit for Nix, Nelson, or whomever.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Pretty much, and it’s, at least, a backup who is going to field his position.

• Travis L. says:

So, we like Nelson better than Gonzalez? Are they sure that Nix’s defense at SS is better than Gonzalez’s? or that Nelson’s D at 3B is better than Nix’s? I kinda see Nix as the offensive leader, but to me, Nelson and Gonzalez are tit for tat. Neither are appealing.

• Steve (different one) says:

Nix will start at SS and Adams at 3B. Starting Wednesday….

• Mattinglyfan03 says:

None of the 3 can hit so it really doesn’t matter.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

He’ll play a mean defense, but offer questionable legal advice. Welcome back, Mistah Attorney General.

Gil Velazquez sheds a muthafucking tear. Dude was robbed. ROBBED.

We’ll end this with an obligatory “well, he can’t hit much worse than Nuney,” of course.

• Pat D says:

I’m sure he’s already advocating a bunch of minor league infielders get fired for botching double play routines.

• Travis L. says:

But can he hit better than Nelson has (SSS)? Would we be better off with Nix at 3B and Gonzo at SS?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Not going off of anything, but my gut is stick with Nix/Nelson and have the AG come off the bench. Nelson looked dreadful at first offensively, but we’ve seen a couple of timely hits the last couple of games. I’m curious whether he can build enough off that to give us something before the eventual DFA.

• Travis L. says:

How about defensively? I know Nix is decent at SS, but would we improve the left side by sliding Nix to 3B and using AG at SS or keep with Nix/Nelson? I cant watch the games unless they are on FOX, so I miss out on seeing what they can actually do.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

There was that one shitty play in the first the other day in which both Nix and Nelson just plain booted the same ball.

Don’t know enough about Nelson. I generally think Nix knows what he’s doing out there. Remember that I tend to be the resident Jayson Nix apologist around here.

• trr says:

well, he can’t hit much worse than Nuney

7. Hash-tag says:

Cmon Cashman, send a D+ prospect to Seattle for Brandon Ryan

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

While in the shower, I pondered whether Eduardo Nunez would, in fact, make my “Least Favorite Yankees” team, and who would be on it. Why I pondered this, on Mother’s Day, I have no clue, but here’s what I came up with, off the top of my head.

Lots of ill-advised short-lived Yanks on this list, admittedly.

C: Kelly Stinnett
    1B: Craig Wilson
    2B: Tony Womack
    SS: Bobby Meacham, always and forever
    3B: Tough one. I went with Mike Blowers. I never liked him.
    OF: Randy Winn
    OF: Ben Francisco
    OF: Shelley Duncan
    DH: Richie Sexson

Bench:

UTL: Eduardo Nunez
    OF: Raul Mondesi
    1B: Lance Berkman

We won’t have a BUC. I can’t think of someone I dislike on the Stinnett level.

SP: Esteban Loaiza (my all-time least favorite Yankee)
    SP: Carl Pavano
    SP: Javy Vazquez
    SP: Jeff Weaver
    SP: Sidney Ponson

RP: LaTroy Hawkins
    RP: Felix Heredia
    LOOGY: Wayne Franklin
    Closer: Juan Acevedo

So, yes, I dislike Nunez enough that I’d put him in this company. I know that, with guys like Berkman, it’s more my own shit than performance, but it’s my damn list, so it is what it is.

• Eddard says:

There’s an obvious choice at 3B

• Jersey Joe says:

I agree with a lot of this, but I can’t put Shelley Duncan on my least favorites list. That player would have to be Rondell White for me.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

AJ Burnett would definitely be one of my starters and Dave Winfield and Mel Hall in my outfield.

• Preston says:

I always liked Sidney Ponson. I like Jon Daly too. Maybe I just have a soft spot for fat drunks.

• Ruben Rivera says:

Why weren’t you thinking of me in the shower?

• jjyank says:

I’d make Chris Stewart the BUC.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I don’t really dislike him, though. I think he’s a fine BUC. A perfectly good back-up player being forced to play beyond his means isn’t someone who is going to draw a lot of hate from me.

• jjyank says:

Fair enough. I don’t have as much experience as you to draw on, obviously. There are very few players that I just straight up don’t like being on the team, and Stewart is one of them for me. I root for him of course, but I don’t like his presence on the roster.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’ll put it to you this way: Kelly Stinnett was a shitty BUC. He was just awful. I don’t mind Stewart out there once a week. I minded Stinnett even sitting in the dugout.

• Rob says:

RP: Cecilio Guante
      RP: Dale Mohorcic (my buds and I called him Mo’ Horse-sh*t)
      SS: Alvaro Espinosa

• Bob Buttons says:

No hate for Ben Davis or Todd Pratt?

Also, I nominate Charlie Hayes for 3B.

For pitchers I dislike Kenny Rogers.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Rogers would be a good one too. Oooooh. That’s what I get for just half-assing this in the shower. Rogers may go in over Weaver, although it’s close.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

How can you dislike Charlie Hayes? He caught the final out!

Davis and Pratt are way too inconsequential, I guess. Stinnett got half a fucking year as BUC. ARGH. He couldn’t even fill Flash Flaherty’s shoes.

• Bob Buttons says:

It’s just he is sub-par even compared to Brosius, so by the virtue of being the guy who had three guys who each had iconic plays in post-season (It’s hard to deny that A-Rod wasn’t a hero in 09 post season) he gets dwarfed in my view. It’s like you’re on a trip to try out local food. In the middle of it there is a place that isn’t too bad but the three after that was so great that you may get a tad disappointed in how the place (and some other places before it) wasn’t as good as the most recent ones you’ve had. I’d probably be more accepting of him if Brosius, Boone and ARod didn’t come right after him.

• Pat D says:

Todd Pratt never played for the Yankees, even in the minors.

Ben Davis never played for the major league Yankees, so he shouldn’t count.

• Mattinglyfan03 says:

I think he was one of those old popular non-roster invitees to Spring Training one year.

• Pat D says:

Hence why it doesn’t show up on his transactions page on BRef. But I wouldn’t consider him because of that.

• Bob Buttons says:

Huh I guess my dislike for them are quite strong, because those two are the names that first popped into my mind when thinking of catchers pre-2010.

I don’t know why, frankly. The only things in my mind that I can recall about them (truly or falsely) are Backup catcher, short-term Yankees and sucks like hell.

• Henry Krinkle says:

Steve Trout would be in my rotation.

• Mattinglyfan03 says:

Kevin Brown. You punch a cement wall and break your hand down the stretch, you deserve a place on this list.

• Bob Buttons says:

I just remembered two guys, that should be on most people’s list. Though they are definitely productive and their careers were way before a lot of our lifetimes.

Ben Chapman and Jake Powell. Guys Racist pricks traded for each other.

9. fabricio says:

will this affect david adams getting called up?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Don’t see why it would. Different roles.

• jjyank says:

Yup. Adams is coming up to take Francisco or Nelson’s spot, not the SS spot.

• Mattinglyfan03 says:

I’m betting Nelson. Swap an infielder for an infielder. There’s reason to have Adams, Nelson, Nix and Stewart all on the roster at the same time. Geez, that’s an uninspiring group of names. How the hell is this team winning series?

10. Manny's BanWagon says:

So Joba caused a little scene after Mariano shushed him.

Maybe he should be more concerned with getting his fat ass in shape and on the field and try to improve on his general worthlessness instead of giving lip to Mo.

• jjyank says:

Kinda seemed like a non-story that the media is trying to make into a bigger deal than it was, to me.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Winning games isn’t exciting enough sometimes. All the pre-written narratives have been busted. Have to come up with new shit.

• Preston says:

I don’t think it was a real problem. But Joba shouldn’t talk back to Mo in front of a reporter, ever. Doesn’t really matter they’ll both be gone next year.

• mt says:

I am not a big Joba fan but Mariano was being coinscedending to him in public (can you see him “shushing” Jeter or CC?). On the other hand, Joba knew he was talking loud (even mentioning it before the confrontation) and showed his general boneheadedness and lack of judgemnt by going there wiuth the “Don’t ever shush me” comment. I agree with a prior comment – not sure why media reported this when I am sure baseball players may get into it with each other obver a 162 game season all the time (I do know why the 2013 rabid media reported this but don’t necessarilay agree.)

One petpeeve/rant I have to make though – Joba said he was talking “to his family” – why should that matter if you are being too loud? “Family” excuses all boorish behavior, then?

Reminds me of when he did his trampoline hijinx and defended himself that as he would still do it because he would never take a back seat or deprive his son as a father. What ever happened to using good judgment even when it involves family? There were several different things he could have done that would have been in concert with being a good father without the one result of a 250 pound plus man recovering from shoulder surgery jumping on a trampoline with his son (i.e, could have told son no – what a shock to ever tell a child no to anything that they may immediately want that moment; could have had someone else join son on trampoline, etc., could have come back another time with friends who could have helped with son, etc.).

I know many disagree but as a father myself I hate when people toss around family so easily for their own bad judgment when there are truly people who have to make critical judgements for family.

Also I compare this to JR Smith – if this was a blind item and the identity of the Yankee arguing with Mo was initially unknown, based on description, wouldn’t we all guess it was Joba? Similarly, if you had to guess the one player in playoffs who supposedly showed up with a 102 degree fever so he couldn’t practice or talk to the media on the day of a game after clubbing the prior week, wouldn’t you guess it was JR Smith?

• BFDeal says:

Now we see what type of person takes the bait in these non-stories designed to create fake drama.

11. mt says: