Jun

Tuesday Night Open Thread

The Yankees don’t open their three-game series in Oakland until later tonight, so here’s an open thread to hold you over until the regular game thread comes along. The Mets are playing the Cardinals (Hefner vs. Wacha) and for those of you in the Tri-State Area, MLB Network will show the Giants vs. Pirates. Former Yankees first rounder Gerrit Cole will be making his big league debut for Pittsburgh. You could also tune into the MLB.tv Free Game of the Day to watch Chien-Ming Wang to return to the big leagues with the Blue Jays. Game Three of the NBA Finals is on as well, so talk about those games or anything else here. Go nuts.

Categories : Asides, Open Thread

1. CountryClub says:

@LoHudYankees: Draft pick Aaron Judge will take BP with the Yankees today. He’s as big as advertised. Apparently he already put on a show with early BP.

2. Phil says:

Since this is an open thread, has anyone else seen that girl that Aaron Judge dumped once he got drafted? Not too bad. Name is Margaret Wood I think.

3. Patrick says:

Brett Gardner named American League Player of the Week. Who saw that one coming?

Anyone guess what his average will be by September?

4. Get Phelps Up says:

Today I got tickets for all 3 Yankees/Padres games in San Diego! Can’t wait.

5. The Real Greg says:

The last thing we need. Cano is the captain of the Derby again. That will mess up his swing even more.

6. your mom says:

Damn you Gerrit Cole! Why’d you have to go to college???

• MannyGeee says:

Don’t worry, the Yanks would have found a way to screw him up like they did to Banuelos Betances and Pineda, AmIRite?

• Bo Knows says:

Yeah but he struck out only two batters in 6 innings. A guy with a 99 mph fastball should not be striking out only 2 batters, regardless if this is his first start. This goes back to what’s happened in the minors, the stuff not matching the results.

• MannyGeee says:

That could be a problem too, however if he is drawing weak contact all the time with his stuff, then you don’t need strikeouts. When your stuff doesn’t match the results and you give up 70 home runs a season, Mr Hughes, you have a different issue all together…

7. Tom says:

Jon Lester seems to be coming back down to earth. He’s allowed at least 3 ER in each of his last 5 starts and at least 4ER in four of those five

He had a 2.72 ERA in the middle of May and now it’s almost up to 4

The Boston offense is mashing but they’ve been winning on the backs of Lester and Buchholz (I think they are sub .500 when anyone else starts). Hopefully with Lester cooling off, Boston will too.

• Havok9120 says:

That would be good. Both of us have been playing way above our heads.

• MannyGeee says:

I can get down with that. Also, embedded Yankee Ace Man Aceves is getting called up tomorrow for the spot start. So that should go swimmingly for them.

• forensic says:

15 baserunners in less than 5 innings tonight. Love it!

• Tom says:

Best part of that…7BB’s and 3HR’s (so it was not a matter of the hits just falling in)

Regression she’s a cold hearted…

Hope she visits Buchholz and Mr over.500 BABIP Iglesias too!

8. forensic says:

So, Gerrit Cole. 5 shutout innings and a 2-run single so far in his debut.

• MannyGeee says:

5.2 ip on 67 pitches. Not too shabby, mr. Super Prospect Man…

• Bo Knows says:

only struck out two though that’s pathetic given his raw stuff

• MannyGeee says:

Fuck the baseball card stuff. I would rather have a quality start every 5 days than 7 strike outs and 5 ER. For more on this theory, check your programs under #65: Hughes, Sir Philip…

9. MannyGeee says:

Former Yankee Farmhand Chein Ming Wang just gave up a meatball to Adam Dunn, followed by a come-backer to Viciendo, followed by a wild pitch that Arencebia bailed him out on to throw out the runner… Unsurprisingly mediocre start so far for the man the call the Wanger…

10. Bob Buttons says:

Extremely random personal tale:

Yesterday I was in a rush and because I needed to walk a long way in the rain I didn’t bother wearing socks, partially because I figure soggy socks will not be comfortable walking there and back for roughly an hour. Once I got there the part of the foot above the heel was extremely irritating and I bent down and checked and well, what do you know. I scraped my own foot (part above the heel) by walking around in running shoes without socks on. Had to buy myself a pair of socks so I can walk home.

Moral: always wear socks if you go outside. Except if you are wearing sandals or slippers or those kind of stuff. Always figured socks are just for not being bare feet inside some people’s houses. Too bad I found out another reason the tough way.

Why am I sharing the tale? I don’t know. The game is still an hour away and I’m a bit bored.

P.S. MLB Father’s day special is $49.95 for MLB TV premium. I wouldn’t get it because my internet is crap but I figure maybe some people want to get it but doesn’t know about this special deal.

• MannyGeee says:

Great story on socks. I will share an equally random but overtly personal note as well about not socks… But underwear. I the middle of London. In full disclosure, I thought I packed enough to get me through the week to the weekend until I realized (when I got to the hotel… IN LONDON) that I did not pack enough for the 2 weeks I was scheduled there.

Long story short, Chapped inner thighs. Had to find a store that was not £20 (roughly $30) for a pair of Calvin Klein skivvies to restock.

Moral being, #1 I over share, and that’s a problem, and #2 ALWAYS check your luggage and itinerary twice before going over seas and #3 always figure out the local equivalent of Walmart wherever you go and find the closest one.

11. CountryClub says:

@YankeesDraft: #Yankees 5th rd #MLBDraft pick David Palladino has officially signed. NJ kid skips major NCAA program (LSU) to begin his career w/NYY.

12. Scott says:

When will Zoilo Almonte or maybe Thomas Neal get a chance to play a Yankee OF corner?

13. Tom says:

More beanball fun

Kontos just got tossed for hitting McCutchen after being warned (he threw a pitch behind the previous batter to get the warning).

There have been 4HBP’s in the game (the first three seemed unintentional though)

John Lackey approves of this game!

• Pat D says:

I saw him hit Joyce last night, but I couldn’t tell if it was intentional because Lackey didn’t act like a total dickhead after doing it.

Then I found out that Joyce had hit a home run earlier in the game, and that made up my mind pretty easily.

14. Manny's BanWagon says:

What a thing of beauty watching the Spurs annihilate the heat tonight.

LBJ had a plus/minus of -32, absolutely mind bogglingly pathetic.