Jul

Marchand: Teams have inquired about Robinson Cano

Via Andrew Marchand: Teams have contacted the Yankees looking to trade for Robinson Cano, but they aren’t looking to move him. The club’s goal is to re-sign their star second baseman and move forward with him as the centerpiece of the lineup. I am curious to know who made those calls, however. Dodgers? Tigers? Nationals? The Cardinals did ask him prior to 2009, remember.

Cano, 30, is having a typical Robinson Cano year, which means hitting .302/.386/.531 (144 wRC+) with 21 homers and being one of the very best all-around players in baseball. He has big-time trade value despite being eligible for free agency after the season. If the Yankees decide to deal him (extremely unlikely), they should ask for nothing less than an elite prospect in return. A half-season of Carlos Beltran fetched Zack Wheeler, and Robbie is a) better now than Beltran was then, and b) doesn’t come with any of the injury concerns.

Categories : Asides, Trade Deadline

1. jsbrendog says:

so, what would it take for you, RABWorld, to trade Robbie? What is the package you couldn’t say no to, within reason, similar to a wheeler/beltran? I would say straight up or 2 for 1 since anything more will lean more to quantity over quality.

• Preston says:

Dodgers- Seager, Lee, Pederson
      Tigers- Castellanos, Smyly, Rondon, Garcia
      Nationals- Rendon, Goodwin, Geolito, and Espinosa
      Cardinals- Taveras, Wong, Wacha

Basically I need a kings ransom

• Preston says:

Ranking the packages I’d rather get the Cards prospects, then Dodgers, then Tigers, then Nationals.

• Bo Knows says:

Rondon can’t hit the broad side of a barn, don’t want

• Preston says:

Castellanos and Smyly are the only two guys they have that I want at all. Garcia seems like a 4th OFer to me, and Rondon at least has a live arm. Might as well take them and hope to get something out of them.

• Mac says:

So, you wouldn’t trade him.

• Preston says:

Everybodies available, sometimes the prices just aren’t affordable.

• Mac says:

I’m saying that I would give it a 0.000000000001% chance any of those teams pay that for half a season of Cano. Not that my opinion is authoritative, but if you were any of those teams would you mortgage your whole future for 1/2 a season for Cano? As a Yankee fan would you pay relative prices like that (discounting for expected production) for Ellsbury or McCann?

I just don’t think Cano is worth that much to the Yankees right now (at least on the field). So, if you’re going into it with an everybody’s available if you exceed their value to us approach, I think that’s way over the top.

• Preston says:

The Cardinals, no way. They have a great 2b, and don’t really need to make the trade. Plus they aren’t going to sell out for one year, they compete every year.
              The Nationals, no way. They also have a pretty good young 2b, and it’s a really good young team. They’ve under=performed a bit and it doesn’t look like their year. Play it out with this team and hope for better luck next year.
              The Tiger’s package isn’t very good, and considering that Verlander and Fielder seem to be in decline and Cabrera won’t be the best hitter on the planet for to much longer, and their owner is going to die, I probably would put the odds more like 15% they do it.
              The Dodgers would think long and hard about it. They have spent like drunken sailors and despite under-performing are right in the thick of things. It would almost guarantee that he’d sign with them uncontested in the off-season. And none of the prospects in that package are at AAA or the majors. So they’re more of a hypothetical future than some of the other guys. I’d put it more at a %25 chance they’d pull the trigger, mostly because they’re batshit crazy.

• Mac says:

I can’t speak for the teams, but I disagree with you. I think you are undervaluing those packages and overvaluing Cano.

I don’t think it has anything to do with having a young 2B fot the Cards or Nats. Neither of those teams has been in the practice of giving away the farm to overpay veterans. It would just be an unbelievably poor value.

The Tigers do go all in more than I expect, but I don’t know that they’re taking on another big money guy playing in a city that just declared bankruptcy nor is that package shabby. I would say it is, in fact, very good. I think market value for Cano is maybe half that, if you’re lucky.

Dodgers are giving up two guys killing AA. The difference between a guy killing AA and a AAA guy is fairly marginal.

• Preston says:

To me it’s a forgone conclusion that Cano is going to re-sign. So I’d need to have a package that supplies more than just half a season of value. That’s not how other teams should value him. But that’s fine. I’m fine with keeping him and paying him.

• Mac says:

Yeah, but if you’re paying Cano market rate going forward past his prime there’s a question of how much value he actually provides. Especially if market rate is 8 years at $25 mill per. One could really argue he has little value in that case. Young players aren’t likely to be as good, but they have a pretty good chance to provide better value and free up resources to use elsewhere.

• Tisha says:

I agree. Cano is currently the # 1 second baseman in baseball, so if a team wants to trade for him, they’d better be prepared to pay dearly.

• Will says:

How about the Pirates? They could really use Cano, and Taillon, Polanco, and bell could do it.

• Bo Knows says:

If I was the Head Cheese of the Yankees, it would honestly take a franchise altering package, like the one Texas did with Teixeira, or for football fans a “Herschel Walker” package.

So the Cards would need to give up Taveras, Wacha and Martinez
      Padres that means Hedges, Fried and some guys in the upper levels to offset risk since they are both in the low minors
      Dodgers: Urias, Lee and Pederson to start

of course not just those franchises but you get the point

Of course that isn’t going to happen so it’s a mute point. Robbie would be staying.

• Mac says:

When the Rangers moved Tex he had 1.5 years of control left (I would also argue that they got quite lucky with how that package turned out). When the Braves moved him to the Angels with 0.5 years left they got Casey Kotchman and Steve Marek. And that was when the Angels also got two first round picks as compensation.

• Greg says:

Absurd. Let’s take the Cardinals, who probably wouldn’t give up one of those guys for Cano, but let’s say they wanted him. You wouldn’t accept Wacha and Tavares for Cano? Seriously? You’d be the worst Head Cheese in history.

The Yankees will re-sign Cano and probably haven’t even considered trading him for a second, but if the Cardinals called and offered that, Cashman would accept without the slightest hesitation.

• twac00 says:

I’d start fielding offers and assuming the Yankees don’t suddenly improve in the next week, I’d probably take the best offer. With the new CBA rules the Yankees can sign Cano in the offseason without surrendering a first round pick. If trading Cano is a real possibility then there is no hope for this season which means that any package worth at least the equivalent of a late first round pick is worth considering.

Personally, I’d want the top prospect of a top farm system to start. Someone like a Taveras plus others would work for both teams. Maybe the A’s would be interested in an Addison Russell package. Maybe the Pirates really want to solidify a deep playoff run and are willing to do a deal that includes a combination of 2 of Cole, Taillon, and Polanco. Maybe the Dodgers do something starting with Seager. I’m not sure any other team that has enough talent would be interested in a Cano rental outside of the Red Sox and O’s. And I wouldn’t be too willing to do a trade with them knowing that there’s a possibility, even though it may be tiny, that Cano falls in love with a division rival and wants to stay.

• Bob M says:

In terms of the Dodgers why not start with Kemp. e is on a very friendly 10 year 160M contract and if he is healthy he is a top five player. If the Dodgers want Cano let them pay.

• Bob M says:

In terms of the Dodgers why not start with Kemp. is on a very friendly 10 year 160M contract and if he is healthy he is a top five player. If the Dodgers want Cano let them pay.

2. 23553 says:

I can’t imagine it was the Nationals. Not only are they happy with Rendon, but they would have a lot of trouble putting together a reasonable package.

• Gonzo says:

Desi, Rendon, and Giolito does nothing for you? Shoot Goodwin is right up the Yankees’ alley.

• jsbrendog says:

why would they trade rendon when he is in the majors and hitting?

• Preston says:

Because they’re trading for the best 2b on the planet. Where would Rendon play?

• jsbrendog says:

3b once zimmerman’s shoulder gets worse and he moves to 1b to replace the easily replaceable adam laroche? the position he is supposed to be playing

• Preston says:

Okay, but that just means they don’t trade for Cano. If they are willing to go for it, they’d be willing to give up Rendon.

• Mac says:

I don’t know about that. There’s a real argument to be made that Rendon is more valuable than Cano. Adam LaRoche has been replacement level this year, so it’s not hard to imagine Zimmerman or Rendon himself swinging over the 1B.

• Mac says:

I think that the argument is that Rendon alone might be more valuable than Cano. Rendon is controlled for a while. He’s on a screwy MLB deal he signed when picked, but is still going to be a big bargain for a long time if he keep playing like this. There’s a lot of volatility given Rendon’s lack of track record, but Cano is no lock going forward either due to age.

We Yankees fans love Cano, but that doesn’t mean he’s got infinite value. It’s a half year rental with no draft compensation and/or a very, very expensive aging player on a long-term deal if you extend/re-sign him when you otherwise wouldn’t have been able to.

Team would be willing to pay a ton, but I really doubt they’re mortgaging their franchises for 1/2 a season of Cano (+ expensive, old Cano is extended/re-signed).

• Gonzo says:

I don’t think they would be seriously sniffing around for Cano. I was commenting about you saying they would have a lot of trouble putting a package together.

3. Bryan says:

Just read the comments from that 2009 article. Yikes.

• RetroRob says:

It’s always a bit funny when Mike links to an old article since we can easily see the comments. They can be kind of crazy. What’s scary is the 2009 version of RAB posters were collectively a bit more reasoned than today’s. Something to keep in mind when reading comments now.

• BigDavey88 says:

Those comments are a perfect example of how everyone on here thinks they know everything there is to baseball, but in reality no one has a clue.

Seriously, YCPBS.

• Mac says:

I would say it’s a good lesson on why not to be overly deterministic about much, let alone young players and prospects.

4. Tavares and Carpenter from the Cardinals and I’d do it. Then you make an honest run at Cano next season. Hell, I’d even be willing to give him an extra year (say 8 instead of 7).

Then you’d have Cano back at 2nd base and Carpenter could play 3rd, which is the position he played in the minors with St Louis.

That being said, you’d basically be giving up on 2013 if you trade Cano….but even with him they man run themselves out of the race in the next 10 days vs Boston/Texas/Tampa.

• Oy says:

Asking for Carpenter AND Taveras from Cardinals for Robbie is equivalent of waiving Granderson in front of Angels and asking for Trout and Cron.

• I dunno, I think they’d be more willing to do Tavares/Carpenter and not multiple blue chip prospects.

Also, Cano is way better than Granderson, so I’m not sure that’s an apples to apples comparison.

• Oy says:

Carpenter and Cano have pretty much identical WAR,Fangraphs giving Carpenter and BR giving Cano slight edges. Thing is, Cano is gone after two months. Carpenter is under control until 2018. Where is the logic in trading a player of similar production with team control until 2018 AND a top 2 prospect in all of majors for a player with two months left on his deal?

My comparison to your trade is fine. Granderson is a downgrade for Trout who is under control until 2018 as well. The huge gap between Taveras and Cron makes up for the production between Granderson and Trout.

• Mac says:

Especially because even if they extend him Cano is likely to get worse while Carpenter is likely to get better.

• RetroRob says:

Trout throws this attempted comparison way off base.

• Oy says:

Player A:
          321/.394/.497

+ Top 3 MLB Prospect, who is majors ready

vs.

Player B:
          .302/.386/.531

Player A has 4 years and 2 months of team control left. He is dirt cheap for the next two years. Player B is owed $7.5mm this year and is gone after two months. An argument can be made that player A is better than player B for the rest of the season.

This is as ridiculous as Trout for Granderson.

• Preston says:

It’s rediculous, but not as rediculous as Trout for Granderson. Granderson is inferior to Cano, and Trout is better than Carpenter. In fact he’s so much better than Carpenter that he discounts Taveras almost entirely. In 205 games since last year, Carpenter has been worth a very good 5.7 WAR, in 231 games Trout has been worth 15.7 WAR. As in 10 more WAR. If Oscar Taveras provided 15 WAR over the course of his 6 controlled years he’d be considered a success. So Trout >> than Carpenter and Taveras and that’s without factoring that Cano >>>>> Granderson.

• Mac says:

The point is that both are ridiculous packages that are not happening. People are practically treating Cano like Giancarlo Stanton on here. You might get more depth in a Stanton package, but the packages people are throwing out are basically the headliners of a Stanton package. Besides ignoring that he’s a half season rental, I think people are ignoring that teams can trade for other guys with these prospects. Probably not many/any guys as good, but possibly good guys with team control for cheaper and good rentals for infinitely cheaper than the deals people are throwing around like it’s nothing.

• Gonzo says:

No way I see that happening. Mozeliak hangs up before Cash finishes that sentence.

5. Pat says:

Is it illegal under the collecting bargaining agreement for the Yanks to have a handshake agreement with Cano that they will re-sign him, but also trade him this year as a rental in order to get back an elite prospect to build the farm up?

• yes, but it would next to impossible to prove if they Yanks did resign him. It’s happened before…right off the top of my head the Mets/Orioles and Mike Bordick:

December 13, 1996: Signed as a Free Agent with the Baltimore Orioles.
      July 28, 2000: Traded by the Baltimore Orioles to the New York Mets for Pat Gorman (minors), Leslie Brea, Mike Kinkade and Melvin Mora.
      October 27, 2000: Granted Free Agency.
      December 20, 2000: Signed as a Free Agent with the Baltimore Orioles.
      (via Baseball Ref)

• pat says:

Most teams wouldn’t trade for him without a window to negotiate an extension. Unless that was forbidden in the new CBA.

• RetroRob says:

It would be a violation if the two sides had a handshake deal, but there really is no way that could happen. Cano would enter free agency and the Yankees could bid on him along with all the other teams. They will basically be doing that anyway.

6. Rob says:

If the Cards give up Taveras,Martinez,Rosenthal and Wong they can have Cano

7. frank says:

Oscar Tavarez and Shelby Miller should get talks started. Then sign him in the off season.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

lol

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Trade for Oscar Tavarez and Shelby Miller with an under the table agreement that they resign Cano after the season.

I’d drive Cano to the airport myself for that deal.

• Gonzo says:

This is why we need context to the Wheeler trade.

Wheeler was a top 40 pitching prospect that hadn’t hit AA yet and was still considered an overpay.

Tavarez is a top 2 hitting prospect in AAA and Miller is a former top 10 pitching prospect in multiple years with a 2.74 ERA in his first 118.1 ip in the bigs.

Still sound reasonable?

8. Mo says:

I’d have to get one elite prospect and another good one. Something like Tavares/Wong or Polanco/Hansen.

9. Vern Sneaker says:

I’d start by asking 4 for 1 that would have to include two elite nearly major league ready prospects and one a grade down, including a power-hitting OF, a SS, and a SP and whoever that team’s current 2B is providing he’s at least useful for a few years — and negotiate from there.

10. Gonzo says:

Here’s the issue I have with bringing up Zack Wheeler. He wasn’t a top 30 prospect in any of the 3 major mid-season lists the year he was traded and he hadn’t even hit AA yet. To further blow your mind, he was ranked closely with Dellin Betances (one list had Dellin ranked higher by a decent margin!) and Mike Montgomery.

Also, most people thought it was an overpay at the time. I’m not saying he’s not worth a good haul, but I think you have to put it in context: Beltran netted a top 30-40 pitching prospect that hadn’t hit AA yet and people still thought it was an overpay.

• Mac says:

Yeah, this is a good point. Just naming Zack Wheeler out of context is quite misleading. He went on to become one of the best prospects in baseball and certainly had that potential at the time, but it was not preordained that Wheeler’d succeed as your Betances/Montgomery examples illustrate.

No need to let facts get in the way of a good narrative, though.

• Gonzo says:

I know Robbie plays the much harder position, but since Mike mentioned Cano’s wRC+, I think he should have mentioned Beltran’s wRC+.

Robbie Cano 2013 wRC+ 144

Carlos Beltran 2011 wRC+ 150 prior to the trade
        Carlos Beltran 2011 wRC+ 158 after the trade

• Preston says:

That is also takent out of context though, not just the positional value, Beltran was older and had a history of injury that Cano doesn’t have. He’d posted a wRC+ of 106 the year before while only manageing 64 games. Cano is much more valuable than Beltran was. Also I think the Yankees would have more leverage in a trade. They don’t have to trade Cano, they are above .500 and can afford to re-sign him. The Met’s were in the cellar, and Beltran wouldn’t have re-signed there if they wanted him to.

• Gonzo says:

I mentioned position so I didn’t avoid context. While he was an injury risk he appeared to be healthy and kicking that year. He is/was an interesting HOF case, so he has pedigree. It’s not like he was producing out of no where.

Also, I’m not sure what leverage the Yankees have over the 2011 Mets to make teams pay more. The Mets had plenty of leverage in team lining up to get Beltran. The Yankees keeping him is just one more team competing for his services is all. How is keeping him the ultimate threat?

• Gonzo says:

Also, Beltran was leading the team in games played before he got the flu over 90 games into the season.

• Mac says:

If Beltran wasn’t signing there under any circumstances, they were getting a first round pick for him. So I think that narrative is going too far.

No one is disagreeing that Cano is more valuable. It’s a matter of how much more valuable. You are throwing out packages above that are probably 4x as valuable as Wheeler was at that time. Cano is more valuable, but probably not 4x more valuable than Beltran was in the middle of a productive season.

• Mike Axisa says:

Before the season he wasn’t. A few weeks before the trade he was in 30-35 range overall in the various midseason updates. The different between top 30 and top 35 isn’t worth arguing.

• Gonzo says:

Then will you concede there’s a big difference between a top 30 pitcher that hasn’t hit AA and a top 10 hitting or pitching prospect in AA or AAA?

• Mike Axisa says:

When did I say there wasn’t?

• Gonzo says:

My bad. Concede is the wrong word here. I meant will you say that there is a big difference.

Zach Wheeler top 30-35 picthing prospect with a 3.99 ERA and a 4.8 BB/9 in 88 innings in Hi-A when he got traded.

• Gonzo says:

FYI, my comment was geared more for the people frothing at the mouth clamoring for Tavares and plus Wacha plus first born or other similar deals from other teams. Basically tempering their expectations.

• Preston says:

Nobodies clamoring for it, we all know that’s an overpay. But we’re the Yankees, we are good enough to compete, and we can afford to keep Cano. If you’re going to convince the Yankees to punt this season, and lose the face of the franchise going forward, as well as the ire of fans from doing so, you better offer your first born child. That’s all I’m saying. Not that we could, or should get that, but that I wouldn’t do it for less.

• Mac says:

So, we’re back to where we started and you wouldn’t trade him at all. Like I said hours ago.

• Gonzo says:

I dunno, there are people thinking they could honestly get these ridiculous packages. I wouldn’t sell him because I think there’s still a race to ba had, but if they decided to sell, I think people would be very disappointed in the package.

• Gonzo says:

Also, the poll from earlier has more people looking to sell than to buy. I’m on the buy side.

11. gargoyle22 says:

Trade him. Use what you get back and the money to improve the team. There’s many ways to ad wins.

12. FIPster Doofus says:

The Cardinals have one of the best second basemen in the game, and he’s cheap. They don’t need Cano.

13. trr says:

I would be shocked – SHOCKED – if they moved Cano

• jjyank says:

Yeah. I don’t see it happening.

• All Praise Be To Mo says:

Neither do I, but I think it would be a bold move to start the rebuilding process. Plus he already said he’s testing FA so if he’ll agree to a reasonable deal we can resign him in the off-season.

• I'm One says:

It would at least show what direction the FO is going. Which I want them to do. I don’t want to see them stand pat, so either buy or sell and if they’re going to sell, Robbie is probably the best piece to offer due to the potential return and the possibility of resigning him.

• jjyank says:

A bold move, sure. All of this discussion is mildly amusing to me though, to be honest. I don’t think it will happen. The only reason that I say that it absolutely will not happen is because I rail on other people for speaking in absolutes, and I don’t want to sound like a hypocrite. But that is how I kinda feel. It seems useless to me to advocate for a move that won’t happen.

14. Oy says:

These comments are ridiculous. Mozeliak may consider Taveras for Robbie and even then hang up.

15. jsbrendog says:

They won’t do it but let’s be honest. If you tell him we are going to trade you for the best package. This will make the team better. we know you were already going to go to free agency and we plan to do our best to sign you in the offseason, with a better team around you, and win it all in 2014.

that would be a pretty good sell imo

• jjyank says:

In theory, yes. I’m not sure it actually works that way though. I’m too lazy to do the research, but how often does that even happen? If it were that simple, wouldn’t we see it more often from other teams? When was the last time a super star was traded at the deadline for a mega-package, and then re-signed with the original team?

• jsbrendog says:

the reason teams trade superstars is because they dont want to pay them or take the crapshoot draft picks.

• jjyank says:

Yeah I get that, but if trading and then re-signing him was a viable strategy, there should at least be a few examples. The Yankees are not the only high budget team in the league.

I’m just spit balling, but maybe spending a few months with another team changes his mind, maybe it makes the team up their subsequent offer after seeing him perform, etc. It seems rather risky. And again, such a strategy bothers me simply because there seems to be (off the top of my head anyway) no real track record for this working. It’s a nice idea in theory though.

• Mac says:

There’s Cliff Lee and someone threw Bordick out above. So there are examples. It is largely that a team is trading the guy because they aren’t going to re-sign him, but there is also that it’s a bit insulting to the guy. It’s definitely a risky strategy. Not just on the field. If the Yankees trade Cano right meow, they might not have many fans left. Perhaps it’s their own fault, but their fans seem to be largely front-runners who love superstars based on what we’ve been hearing about attendance and ratings in a season where they are very much in contention.

• jjyank says:

Ah, how did I forget Cliff Lee? Fair enough. But still, it’s rare. I just think it’s too risky. Even if Cano agrees to it now, he may change his mind by the winter based on his experience elsewhere. If the Yankees trade Cano, they have to assume that he’s gone for good. If he comes back, great. Can’t plan on that though.

16. All Praise Be To Mo says:

Why not offer him to Texas for Profar straight up? He’s without a position there with Andrus signed long term. Then they can move Kinsler to the OF like they want and give us a SS for the next 15 years.

• Gonzo says:

I don’t think they want to move Kinsler to the OF. That was only being bandied about because of Profar.

• Oy says:

Rangers, who were unwilling to move Profar for Stanton and Upton, would trade him for two months of Robbie.

• Gonzo says:

Man, if I’m Luria, I’d think hard about making Stanton available and see if the Rangers come in with a monster offer.

• phil says:

how about CC for Profar?

Why would Texas do that?

• phil says:

They need a starting pitcher and want to win the world series?

Not that badly.

• Mac says:

There are a lot of ways to acquire a SP without giving up one of the best prospects in baseball.

CC has an ERA over 4, is 33, and is under contract for up to 4 more years at a really high AAV. There’s a good chance you’re eating a ton of money just to give him away right now. The chances of getting an elite prospect for him even if you eat money are slim. Maybe he pulls through in the second half, but right now I can’t imagine his trade value is too high.

17. EndlessMike says:

It’s too bad the Yankees don’t have a good farm because if we would have gotten Stanton it would be easy to trade Cano.

• Mac says:

You know that no team has gotten Stanton, right? The Yankees could have the greatest farm system in the history of baseball by a wide margin and there’s no evidence that they’d have Stanton.

• jjyank says:

I don’t see the point here. Trade prospects for Stanton, then try to recoup those prospects by trading Cano? Seems like a lateral move to me. Besides, Stanton is younger and under team control for longer, making him probably more expensive in prospects. So you might even be going backwards. If the Yankees had the ability to land Stanton, it should be to add to Cano, not replace him.

18. Preston says:

Lars Anderson just got released. Former future HOFer now available, Lyle Overbay replacement found!

19. bill says:

With Hal in charge they are not going to spend the necessary money to sign Cano.

I rather see them get a number one pick for him when he signs with another team (dodgers)

20. phil says:

how about trying to get a top shortstop prospect back in a deal?

21. Wayne says:

I would trade cano he is on the ugly side of 31 but yanks will never do it. You could get a future lead off hitter future shortstop you never know.

22. Frank says:

I’m a huge Cano fan but I’d trade him in a second. Signing him to a long term deal for the money he wants at his age is just dumb…so I fully expect the Yankees to do it.

Trade him for a top 20 prospect and another top 50 or so guy and start over. I’d love to see them start to get younger but they think they have a better chance at winning a World Series with 40 year olds and drafting guys for “character”.

This organization it burned by signing a second rate Japanese pitcher and a high upside pitcher who needed TJ surgery and decided that taking risks in the international market wasnt worth it. Dumb.

It’s amazing to me that they run the org this way.

• Mac says:

That’s not likely the way they run the org, just the narrative you have chosen to apply to their decision making.

I mean when you are confusing draft picks and IFA veterans, you probably have no idea what you are talking about. You make comments just about every night that lead me to that conclusion.

Getting a top 20 and another top 50 prospect for 1/2 a season of Cano is very unlikely.

Your whole theory appears to be that the Yankees should be perfect, and anything they do that doesn’t turn out perfectly is an abomination. You might want to check out your own expectations and put things in context.

23. Pa Poo says:

Trade ‘em. Let someone else deal with his expensive decline.

24. NYY_Mattingly says:

This article is just trying to stir sh*t up (and it appears to have worked)… there is no chance they will trade Robbie

25. Jarrod says:

I begged my wife to name our first son Robinson but she wouldn’t be in on it – that’s how much I love Robbie.

That said, I think the Yankees should have shipped him off earlier than now. It makes no sense to pay big money for Cano at age 31-41 which is what they’re about to do. Sooner or later (probably later) the penny will drop that signing guys on the wrong side of 30 to long term contracts is bad business.

Plus, I know people would be trading for him for half a season but couldn’t they put an extension in place before the trade so that the other team is happy to give up more?

26. bkight13 says:

The only way I could see the Yanks punting Mo’s last season and trading Cano is if they lose 8 of 10 coming out of the break, Jeter getting injured again and ARod getting suspended. And then the package would still have to be way better than a first round pick next year. So I don’t see it happening, but a major injury to a contender is always a game changer.

Realistically I would see what I could get for Granderson, Gardner, Hughes, Kuroda and/or Joba.

27. rose heller says:

the yanks are losing with cano in their lineup and they certainly could lose without him.