Jul

Thursday Night Open Thread

It is actually Thursday, right? Right. Had a little mix-up in yesterday’s open thread. I’ve been off one day all week for some reason, I think because of the Futures Game on Sunday. That felt like a Monday. Anyway, someone sent me that first half highlight video today and I think we’re all going through baseball withdrawals, so I figured it would make a fine open thread video. Hope you enjoy.

Here is your open thread for this baseball-less evening. It’s a good night to chip away at the DVR/Netflix queues. The All-Star break ends tomorrow, thankfully. Talk about whatever you like here. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. dkidd says:

what happens if the yankees start the second half 2-10? can this organization ever go into “sell mode”?

paging ned colletti…

2. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Prediction: Michael Pineda’s first start for the NY Yankees will be on July 28.

• jjyank says:

Ah come on, let’s make it the 26th. That’s my birthday :) Pineda coming back and throwing a good game would make a nice present.

• Gonzo says:

Is that when his FA clock is pushed back a year?

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

I think so, if I counted correctly.
        And it lines up well with him pitching today, and with whoever pitches the 5th game for the Yankees after the AS break (Hughes would make sense, if they intend to trade him, and maybe even if they don’t intend to trade him)

3. cooolbreez says:

is it just me or this is the first 4 day all star break? CBA fine print maybe?

I thought there was a game tonight.

• trr says:

If memory serves (and it doesn’t always), this may be the first year where EVERY team has all 4 days off

• forensic says:

Yeah, in the past some have had 3 and others have had 4 days off. Last year was the first time all teams had 4 days off.

4. Alkaline2.0 says:

Local station has the AAA game on. “Pinny” has 7 Ks through 4 and looks good. Not sure what A-rod has done yet. The announcers are..interesting..to say the least. I’m not sure how to feel about the term V-lo being used in a broadcast..

5. Alkaline2.0 says:

Local station is playing the AAA game. “Pinny” has 7 Ks through 4 innings. I turned it on to watch the end of the 4th; I’ll watch from here on out to update about A-rod or anything.

And I would give anything to hear these two announcers announce a yankees game. Aside from the 1 guy using “V-lo” it would be entertaining….to say the least. :D

6. Alkaline2.0 says:

Arod homered.

7. Bill says:

Hey just a question for you guys 61 or 73, which is the record In Your Opinion?

• I'm One says:

Reluctantly, 73.

• Pat D says:

Last time I checked 73 was greater than 61, so…

• John S. says:

73. Whether people like it or not, that actually happened. I’m not somebody who likes to rewrite history or play hypotheticals. It happened and people should just accept it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m going with 73. Arguing otherwise would make anyone’s head spin. I just hope the day comes when there’s no argument about the guy who tops it, if it ever happens.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

60*

• Laz says:

There is no way to know whether a lot of baseball’s records were achieved without any cheating. Let the records stand and lets move on, implement sufficient testing and start a fresh slate.

• Scott says:

Ruth did benefit from one kind of cheating, we know: a conspiracy to keep all black and (almost) all Latino players out of the league. All records before about the early 50s should come with an asterisk for that reason, arguably.

• Andy says:

Why not 60? It was done in a shorter season…

• jim p says:

Absolute value, or adjusted for inflation?

• Rolling Doughnut says:

It’s 60 in 154 games, 73* in 162 and 61 in 162. That was easy.

*PED era.

• jjyank says:

73, easily. To be honest, I don’t give a shit that Bonds cheated. Ruth and Maris didn’t have the same level of competition against them, but they don’t get asterisks. I’m not a Bonds apologist by any means, but he did break the record. Deal with it. Besides, how many pitchers were doing steroids that he hit home runs off of? We’ll never know how level the playing field really was, so if you want to dispute his record, you’re really just going off pure speculation. So yes, it’s 73.

• Bob Buttons says:

Not really in the mood to argue over cheating or records, but how in the world would you know that “Ruth and Maris didn’t have the same level of competition against them”?

To name a few sluggers between 1920 to 1960
        Foxx, Mantle, Gehrig, Killebrew, Willie Mays, Duke Snider, etc.

To name a few pitchers between 1920 to 1960
        Koufax, Spahn, Feller, Newhouser, Gibson

Pretty sure those guys can kick the asses of most, if not all players of today easily.

• Pat D says:

Less integration, higher pitching mound, expansion, creation of the DH, different ballparks…lots of differences between the eras which makes it pretty well impossible for direct comparisons to be made.

• forensic says:

Certainly 73 for me.

8. Bo Knows says:

I don’t know if anyone heard, but apparently there is going to be a new Godzilla movie. Godzilla was one of my favorite things growing up, I’ve watched every movie marathon, every Cartoon, I even own the original 1954 film on VHS (I’m only 22, not old enough to have seen it released lol)

It has legit promise too, Bryan Cranston is going to be in it, so is Ken Watanabe, on top of that it looks like they are going to make the King of Monsters the legit force of nature like the original films, and not some punkass iguana.

9. jim p says:

Today marks the 8th consecutive game in which Don Mattingly hit a HR (10 over the streak).

1987. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/.....id=1786653

10. Alkaline2.0 says:

A rod had a dribbler down 1st base line. I had flashbacks towards him hitting the ball out of the glove. Alas, no such effort tonight.

11. Alkaline2.0 says:

Betances on the mound.

12. Alkaline2.0 says:

2 K’s so far. Second one on three pitches. Inside curve, low inside fastball, low outside fastball.

13. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

I want either Justin Morneau, Giancarlo Stanton, or MikeYasielAndrew TroutPuigMcCutchen. I fear Big Member is the only one who could make this happen.

• Mac says:

One of those things seems completely unlike the others. I don’t know what he’ll do from here out, but Morneau is virtually tied with Overbay so far with a 0.6 fWAR and 102 vs. 101 wRC+.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Screw Puig, give me Bryce Harper.

14. Does any remember the card game MLB Showdown? I was just cleaning out my closet in my parents house and found a huge box of those cards. Brought me back.

15. Jigga says:

Would anybody else prefer having Nova start over Pettitte tomorrow? Pettitte has been their least effective starter lately and Nova has been hot. Give him a chance and see what happens