Jul

Jeter will begin rehab assignment tomorrow

Derek Jeter has been cleared to begin his official 20-day minor league rehab assignment, the Yankees announced. He will join Triple-A Scranton tomorrow and play at least five innings at shortstop. That … seems rather aggressive. I guess they won’t be easing the Cap’n back into things like they have everyone else.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. That seems really aggressive move, by Jeter and NYY. I hope he isn’t rushing back.

• Scott says:

My guess is that they’ve been babying him a bit in recent weeks, so they started the rehab later than they had t (remember he was going to be ahead of A-Rod?), just to make sure he’s close to fine — which means that by the time they’re starting rehab, he’s closer than he would’ve been if they’d rushed him into rehab. HEre’s hoping…

2. Bob Buttons says:

Seems a bit strange considering Nunez is due back soon too, so why risk overloading him?

3. Dalek Jeter says:

I really wish Jeter would just STFU about his rehab.

/Cashman’d

4. Kramerica Industries says:

Oh Captain My Captain…

5. Robinson Tilapia says:

Where have all the good men gone and where are all the Gods?
    Where’s the street wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?
    Isn’t there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
    Late at night I toss and I turn and I dream of what I need

I need a hero
    I’m holding out for a hero ’til the end of the night
    He’s gotta be strong and he’s gotta be fast
    And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight

6. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

I think they are pushing it for a reason time is running out here boys its time to put up or shut up.

7. MB923 says:

I’ll be going to the Pocono Mountains this weekend. My folks and I have trailer homes up there that we go to every now and then in the summer. Wonder if I should get tix for Saturday’s game. Only about 20-30 minutes away from where our place is.

• Ed says:

How can you not go? As to rushing DJ, if he’s ready he’s ready. As an official Old Guy I remember when there was no rehab, you just came back to the bigs and played. If this was 1962 Jeter would probably ride the Yanks bench for a couple of weeks till he could go full time, as Mantle did then.

8. Hassey says:

Jeter, A-Rod, Nunez, Nix and Grandy are all going to homer in their first AB back. Hear Ye, Hear Ye, the champs are here…the champs are here

9. trr says:

Hang on to that spirit Hassey!

10. Al says:

Not sure how this is considered rushed as wouldn’t this put him back with the team at the end of July which is what we all expected it to be? I guarantee you he wants to be back on the roster by Hideki Matsui day, which is 7/28. He’ll be activated 7/26. Just watch. He wants to be on the roster with his buddy Matsui one last time.

• OhioYanks says:

I don’t think the surprise is with the date, but the level and innings. Granted the All-Star break is coming up, but if you’re planning to use the full 20 you don’t usually start someone off playing 5 in AAA. It’s usually more like 3 innings somewhere in short season or A-ball. If he proves ready for 5 in AAA, could be up fairly soon.

• Ed says:

I’m going to Texas and will see them 7/22-24. The Captain would make that a happy three days.

11. LarryM Fl says:

The second break was different from the first. So I have heard that mended broken bone is stronger than it was prior to the break. So, DJ you knock them dead. Whatever we get from your presents in the lineup will be super and helpful.

He has no quit.

12. I'm One says:

Whatever we get from your presents in the lineup …

A gift basket?

13. Robinson Tilapia says:

Nuney says he may be able to return before the ASB. Makes you wonder where Eddard is right now.

14. Capo says:

What are the odds that this has Jeter back for the 3-game set in Fenway after the ASB (7/19-21)? I’m going to the afternoon game on the 20th, and seeing the Cap’n would make sitting in enemy territory all the better.