Jul

Yankees place Derek Jeter on 15-day DL

The Yankees have placed Derek Jeter on the 15-day DL with a Grade I right quad strain, the team announced. The move is retroactive to July 12th, so he can be activated one week from tomorrow. That doesn’t mean he will be healthy enough to return then, however. Utility man Brent Lillibridge has been recalled from Triple-A Scranton to fill the vacated roster spot.

Jeter, 39, went 1-for-4 with an infield single in his first and only game back from the left ankle fracture(s) last week. He hurt the quad running out a ground ball in his third at-bat and left after his fourth at-bat. The 29-year-old Lillibridge has hit .355/.425/.742 (209 wRC+) with seven homers in 22 games for Triple-A Scranton since being acquired from the Cubs in a minor trade last month. The Yankees will have to make a 40-man roster move to accommodate him. Corban Joseph is a 60-day DL candidate following season-ending shoulder surgery.

1. jsbrendog says:

so the time during the ASB counts, which is nice, so he is eligible to come off in 8 days? ok…well get arod back monday and maybe nunez at ss can just do something for a week. not the end of the world IF he comes back after 15 days

• Manny's BanWagon says:

That’s the earliest he can come back. I think it’ll probably be more than that as strained quads, especially for a 39 year old, can linger and Jeter is constantly stressing his legs trying to beat out all those slow ground balls he hits.

• RetroRob says:

Have to believe he is going to back and play a few games in the minors. He only had a few ABs as it was and I think it’s unlikely he was in game shape, which is why he pulled the quad. Throw on another couple weeks of inactivity, and it would be surprising if he was activated and put straight into the line-up.

2. I'm One says:

2 positives out of this, I guess (since I’m a “glass-half-full” kinda guy):

1) No wasted roster spot, with Jeter sitting on the bench unable to play
    2) Lillibridge gets a look to see if he’s better than any of Nix/Nunez/Cruz, since he’s been killing it down in AAA since joining the team

3. Dick Whitman says:

This season is so awful.

4. Jacob the OG says:

Worst news

5. enter42 says:

Just seems like the Yanks are trying to hold back the ocean with a broom at this point. I’m as big a fan as it gets but I hope they don’t give up anything too significant in the area of young talent to get a bat that isn’t going to make a difference in the long run. The only deal I’d pull the trigger on would be one that brought back Ruiz and Young from the Phillies…and that’s only if they take Joba and 2nd tier prospects in return. Ruiz would fit until when (if) Sanchez or Murphy are ready. Young plays 1st or 3rd depending on the opposing pitcher. Solid guys and solid contributors.

6. jjyank says:

Le sigh.

Lillibridge has been tearing the cover off the ball in AAA though, so hopefully that carries over some.

7. Vern Sneaker says:

And then, assuming he’s really off the DL in 8 days, he’s got to get his timing, etc. going. He didn’t look that good to me in the one game he DHed, beating everything into the ground the way he did when he was going bad a couple of years ago. And I don’t see him playing SS for a while. Still, I guess an upgrade over Nunez, Nix, Gonzalez,and Cruz, and maybe Lillibridge will surprise. We are sure hurting.

8. nycsportzfan says:

Crazy. Thats all I can say. Baseball players get hurt way to easily.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Yep. The amount of injuries around the league this year seems unbelievably high.
      This is baseball, not the NFL.

• jsbrendog says:

at least they can still read/speak/see straight after their injuries

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Some of those pitchers taking liners off their face might not be able to.

• jsbrendog says:

cobb and happ seem to be fine. still even if they weren’t nowhere even remotely close in any way shape or form to NFL

• Manny's BanWagon says:

That’s true. As much as I love football, the NFL is barbaric

• mt says:

I agree – Michael Kay on his radio show always goes on and on about he cannot figure out why fans by and large don’t care about steroid use in NFL (while being very negative about steroid use in baseball) and my theory has always been that fans who love the NFL know at some level they are enjoying watching legalized assault and to some extent barbarism (like the gladiators in ancient Rome). Therefore fans feel that anything the players feel they need to take to stay on the field we do not begrudge them since their lives (or healthy old age) will get cut short by playing football (catch 22 is that steroids can also cut their lives short but at least they can still play and make their money.) We do not feel cheated by NFL steroid use since we sympathize with what the “gladiators” msut endure.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I see the point in all of that though I think PEDs should be stomped out of football too. The bigger and faster the players get, the worse the injuries, especially to the head, become.

• MannyGeee - Failed Starter says:

One could argue that a high percentage of players in the NFL could barely read or speak coming into the league… so there’s that

• Manny's BanWagon says:

You could also argue the pretty much every NFL player goes to 2-3 years of college as opposed to many, many baseball players who only have a high school education.

• MannyGeee - Failed Starter says:

You know damn well “College Athlete on a scholarship curriculum” and “normal asshole paying $50K a year curriculum” could not be any more opposite.

9. Bill Simmons says:

Here is my plan for the NYY. You’re not going anywhere this season. Trade Kuroda. Trade Cano. Now you have the best farm system in baseball. Offseason comes around. Resign Cano. Resign Kuroda. Trade your entire farm system for Giancarlo Stanton and Chase Headley. WHO SAYS NO?!?

• jsbrendog says:

bill simmons’ shtick is so played out and tiresome.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I hate him too. I really wish Doc Rivers would punch him in his face after the shit he said on the NBA draft telecast.

• Pat D says:

Nah, I disagree. He was speaking more as a fan than an analyst, to be sure, but he had a pretty legitimate point about everything Rivers said and did leading up to that switch.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

But he should leave his fan hat at the door when he’s on an national ESPN broadcast.

We didn’t need the perspective of a Celtics fan and besides, Rivers owes no explanation to him whatsoever. He’s one of the top few coaches in the NBA so if he doesn’t want to sit around while the Celtics tank next yeah, it’s his prerogative. The Celtics got assets back for him so it’s not like he screwed the franchise.

• Pat D says:

It was still analysis, in my opinion. I’ve seen plenty of other people be taken to task by members of the media for not being entirely forthcoming about this, that and the other thing.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

He sounded more like a pissed off fan whining about Rivers leaving and Ainge trading away Garnett and Pierce than someone who is supposed to be a somewhat objective analyst.

I really felt kind of embarrassed for him.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I actually really like Simmons. Always have. Sure, he’s an annoying Sox fan, but you can’t have everything.

I do think the rest of the booth during the NBA Playoffs just wanted to take a flyswatter to him.

• Darren says:

Meh, what made Simmons so good was his weekly columns and mailbags. He doesn’t really do those anymore (save for the occasional never-ending NBA columns). And he certainly as a voice and visual style made for writing.

• The Bastard says:

Says a guy who picks fights all day every day on a baseball forum…

10. You have to be fucking kidding me.

Jeter breaks Grandersons’ record of least amount of innings played between DL stints. This year has been absolutely ridiculous.

11. rose heller says:

who the hell is brent lillibridge?

12. rose heller says:

.who the hell is brent lillibridge?

13. Eddard says:

They rushed him. On the bright side, this does give Nuney more time at SS. It looks like he’s really turned a corner now that he’s finally fully healthy. If Alex comes back for Texas we’ll have a decent left side of the infield again.

• brian says:

I honestly can’t tell if you’re still being serious about Nunez at this point

Turned what corner??? He’s been the worst player in the entire American League not named Jeff Keppinger… he hasn’t hit, still plays bad defense (albeit with fewer errors) and isn’t durable

There was a time when I was optimistic about Nunez as well but let’s snap into reality, he is a BAD baseball player… he may get hot (stats regressing to the mean and all that) but honestly Jayson Nix is more reliable

• MannyGeee - Failed Starter says:

OK I hate to do this, but the truth is somewhere in the middle of you two clowns.

Nunez may have turned the corner, but I am not sure what corner that is. He has CLEARLY not hit this season, and there is no way to spin that. HOWEVER his defense has come along greater than any Yankee fan could have hoped for.

He has basically become Luis Cruz, a guy who can field the ball and that used-to-could hit.

• brian says:

No, the truth is that Nunez has the worst FWAR AND BWAR on the entire team… and considering how many struggling players we’ve seen on the roster, that’s saying something

He is below replacement level for both this season and his career… by no means do I look at WAR as some sort of end all-be all… but when you are BELOW zero for the current season and your career, you’re a bad big league ballplayer…

• The Bastard says:

• MannyGeee - Failed Starter says:

Sample Size of Eddardian proportions. 36 games, son, and only 9 of them since May 5th.

Also, by not using WAR as the end all be all for your analysis, but that is the only evidence to support your narrative, you’re doing it wrong.

• Crime Dog says:

It’s amazing that he’s amassed a -1.0 WAR in 125 PA. I couldn’t believe it when I saw it at first.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

My assumption is that he’s not being serious about 90% of the time.

Nunez is probably my least favorite current Yankee right now, so please rant away on him. I won’t try and fact-check you.

• trr says:

No need to…He’s an athletic, tool-sy kind of player (the type the team seems to value) who still has yet to prove he is anything beyond the most marginal type of major league player. If any team requests him as a throw-in in a deal, don’t hesitate.

Eddard, on the other hand, when he posts like this, is just a tool.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Honestly, if he’s able to jokingly keep this character up for as long as he has, just to get a rise out of people here, he’s then the furthest thing from a tool. He’s actually quite gifted at this internet thing.

Doesn’t pay the bills, though.

• The Bastard says:

Whoa, when does Jeter actually get blame? He was the one pushing for the return. Sure the org needs to step and say ‘no’ but he’s “The Captain”.

Didn’t Jeter rush himself in Spring Training too? The media wants to blow him, but when does he actually carry blame? He rushed himself in Spring Training and re-broke his ankle. Now he rushed himself here and strained his quad.

All you can do is shrug, but Jeter pushed to play real games in the Spring and last week. The blame should fall squarely on his shoulders.

• steve (different one) says:

I think Jeter is 39 old and he just as easily could have strained his quad out in Scranton as in the Bronx. We can say he was “amped up” playing in the bigs, and that’s what caused it, but we have no idea.

I’d feel more comfortable saying he was rushed if he didn’t get hurt but it took him 2-3 weeks to get his timing back. The fact that he strained a muscle running to 1B, when I assume he’d be running to 1B in Scranton (or do we think he’d loaf it to 1B if the games didn’t “count”?), doesn’t really tell me we need to blame anyone except Father Time.

Jeter is old, it’s going to be tough the next few seasons transitioning from the Jeter era, but it has to happen. Wish it didn’t, but it does.

• brian says:

I think this is a reasonable stance… but remember this is just one season

It’s looking more and more like 2013 is simply going to be a lost year for Jeter, and probably for the Yankees as well… let’s not completely overreact, he’ll pick up his option and we’ll see where we’re at this time next season

• trr says:

Time waits for no one, even if your name is Jeter

14. mt says:

Not a surprise there’s no Jeter – hopefully Cano can play, at least as DH.

This weekend scares me a lot – I hope we do not get humiliated. We really have no offensive reinforcents (Nunez does not count) as I might have thought when I pinpointed this series as a possible “healthy Yankee team” series a couple of months ago.

The differences in Red Sox OPS and other offensive stats and Yankees stats are stunning.

Also Doubront has turned into quite a Yankee snuffer (I think he has some MLB record for first six starts against the Yankees of allowing 3 runs or less)and we get to see the revived, slimmed down Lackey firing in mid 90s with nasty breaking stuff. Hopefully Lester will still struggle (not counting on it.)

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Scared is an um understatement. The only thing that will save their sorry asses is three days of rain.

15. brian says:

This is really bad…. these first 10 games are absolutely crucial and now Jeter has to miss, at minimum, 8 of them

The Yankees are clearly suffering without El Capitan in more ways than one, for them to make this decision and him not to scream bloody murder about it, the calf is really barking

16. Rolling Doughnut says:

Bad news. For a change. Fuck.

17. Crime Dog says:

Is Lillibridge gonna get any playing time? I would imagine he won’t, but then you have two backup/emergency infielders who won’t play much in Gonzalez and Lillibridge. I get the feeling he might see some more time than Gonzalez. Whatever, he can’t be much worse than Cruz… well he can. But, hopefully he won’t be.

18. jtb1239048 says:

If you guys don’t see a continual injury problem (rushing people back, bad medical, etc…) then you’re blind. This is the SAME problem with almost all of our injuries. This team is simply run by fools. And, when all these overpaid old bums come back this team will not be that much better. Absolute piss poor management

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Person #1: THIS IS MANAGAMENT’S FAULT! THIS IS ADMINSITRATION’S FAULT!

Person #2: Well, who specifically do you mean?

Person #1: *points in non-specific direction over there*

I literally just came out of a meeting 27 minutes ago which was an hour’s worth of this.

19. Robinson Tilapia says:

If this was Kevin Youkilis, he’d try and play tonight just to fuck with us on here.

*snare*

If this is the case, then it was rather prudent to have him sit out that weekend. Hopefully, we’re just waiting an extra week rather than longer, but time will tell. After all, he is 39 and losing control of his bowel functions.

20. Roadgeek Adam says:

Any bets Lillibridge is the 4th No. 22 of the season?

• dkidd says:

he should wear 66 like puig. that would be badass.

• Roadgeek Adam says:

Not with this department.

We’re trying to trade 62 and 65 and 61′s been used four times. I don’t get it really.

61 (Joseph-Betances-Huff-Cruz)
        22 (Boesch-Neal-Ishikawa)

Yankees seem to love making me yell at my all-season roster when it comes to numbers. Mets have only reused 47 thus far, making it easier. (Despite the numerous DFAs)

• Roadgeek Adam says:

39 has also been a rotating door (Nelson, Adams) with 40 (Brignac, Gonzalez twice).

Drives me nuts.

21. forensic says:

I still wish they had DL’ed him in the first place and not played short for those 3 games against the Twins.