Jul

Yankees place Jayson Nix on 15-day DL with Grade II hamstring strain

The Yankees have placed utility man Jayson Nix on the 15-day DL with a Grade II right hamstring strain, the team announced. He had an MRI this morning. No word on his timetable, but Grade II strains typically require 4-6 weeks to full heal. This isn’t a short-term thing.

Nix, 30, has hit .236/.303/.304 (65 wRC+) in 268 plate appearances this year, his most playing time in three years. You can thank the Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez injuries for that. Nix had taken over as the everyday shortstop recently, a role that will now be filled by the recently signed Luis Cruz. A utility infielder should have been on the team’s trade deadline shopping list even before Nix’s injury.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Kvothe says:

You know it’s a bad season when you’re putting in your backup backup backup shortstop.

• Bo Knows says:

look on the bright side, Nix’s production won’t be hard to replace

• lightSABR says:

Sadly, I don’t think they’ll be replacing it. Cruz’s wRC+ this season is about two singles better than Austin Romine’s.

I hate this season.

2. dkidd says:

but who will bat second??????

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

I vote for Stewie.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Against RHP, Joe is apparently doing the “ALL TEH LEFTIES” thing (the first four and 5 of the first 6 players in the line up are Lefties)…against LHP I think Almonte should hit second I guess, behind Gardy

• trr says:

Doesn’t really matter right now.

3. kenthadley says:

What a shock…someone who NYY were counting on gets hurt…I’m waiting for Girardi to pull a hamstring climbing out of the dugout.

4. hogsmog says:

Position players who were on the 25 man roster this time last year who are on it right now:

1. Robinson Cano
    2. Chris Stewart

5. Dalek Jeter says:

Oh Nixie…He was TOO MUCH OF A BALL PLAYER FOR HIS OWN GOOD!!! He tried so hard to help the team that he hurt himself!! DON’T LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *BAWLS UNCONTROLLABLY* OF ALL THE DRAMATIC THINGS…pulling his hamstring while helping team *wipes tear from eye*- Suzyn Waldman upon hearing the news

6. Bo Knows says:

Wow, this was not shocking as someone mentioned before everytime this someone is injured and its said “day to day” it usually just turns into “will miss several weeks”

Man I hope Kuroda will be ok

7. trr says:

Suddenly, Nunez is a valuable commodity

8. Eddard says:

Alberto G had a pretty good ballgame last night. Surely he can do what Nix was, which was basically nothing. The only people who will miss him are John and Suzyn. I can just hear John now. Well you know Suzyn, he was only hitting .236 but it’s the best .236 I ever saw.

• MannyGeee says:

I am sad to admit that I agree with you… That sounds like a very Sterling thing to say…

• Dalek Jeter says:

He actually said this earlier in the season about Nix’s .250 average, if I remember the quote properly “[Nix] doesn’t have the highest average, he’s hitting in the .250s or so but I’ll be darned if it isn’t the best .250 I’ve ever seen. He always seems to be on base.”

9. MannyGeee says:

You KNOW a Cody Ransom reunion is happening now. There’s no other way around it.

On an unrelated note, which one of you REEEEEEEEEALLY thought you’d ever utter the words, “man, I wish we still had Ramiro Peña still…”?

• Mikhel says:

Ramiro is out and will miss the rest of the season (unless something really really REAAAAALLY unexpected happens and he makes comeback this season in september).

10. Robinson Tilapia says:

Plouffy did it with the candlestick.

11. Wheels says:

I think trainer Gene Monahan’s competence needs to be questioned at this point. No one discusses it.

12. Wheels says:

Holy crap, I mean Steve Donahue. I’m sure most of these injuries have nothing to do with his methods, but there have been many under his watch nonetheless.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Dr. Tilapia, is that you?

• MannyGeee says:

Why? Of all the injuries, many of them were flukish… 3 broken bones from HBP and one comebacker that Kuroda tried to catch barehanded. The Youk injury was waiting to happen, and the same could likely be said about ARod, Tex & Jeter…

So that leaves you Nuñez, Nix, and assorted other nagging injuries to relievers. A trainer can hardly be blamed for that…

13. LK says:

How is it possible that Hafner is still healthy? Did Cashman make some sort of clandestine deal with the baseball gods and now they’re seeking revenge on the rest of the team?

• Betty Lizard says:

It’s a portrait of Dorian Gray deal. Hafner stays healthy only as long as others are injured . . .

14. lightSABR says:

Can this season get any more surreal? How often do you see a Major League team playing its fourth-string shortstop and third-string third baseman every day? (Except when they give the fourth-stringer a rest and let the fifth-string guy play…)