Jul

Manny’s Back: Ramirez signed minor league deal with Texas

This isn’t exactly Yankees related, but Manny Ramirez has signed a minor league with the Rangers. He was playing in Taiwan earlier this year, but he recently opted out of his contract to pursue big league opportunities. Unsurprisingly, the Yankees didn’t have any interest. They sure could use some right-handed thump though. Oh well.

Categories : Asides, Other Teams

1. Slugger27 says:

i still dont understand why he only served 50 games of his 100 game suspension.

2. Preston says:

He’s fun to watch, and it might distract ESPN from A-Rod for a little while. If they played against eachother in a minor league game that would probably be the coolest thing ever though…

3. I'm One says:

While I never really expected it to happen due to the PED suspensions and make up issues, I’m kind of disappointed the Yankees didn’t take a shot at him.

• Mickey Scheister says:

I agree, the only thing I can come up with is maybe they didn’t wanna reek of desperation. But he’s exactly the type of hitter they could’ve used. Even at a .270/.380/.460 with 10-15 jacks would be a massive upgrade just in terms of production. Stick him at first and see what happens…

• Bob Buttons says:

He’d probably hit closer to .200/.280/.360 with 0 to 5 jacks. He didn’t show much power with WSox and TB and there’d be virtually no way they wouldn’t challenge him.

4. forensic says:

Good, it’s always nice when booing/hating interests are consolidated.

• I'm One says:

I hated him as a Red Sox player, but boy could he rake during his prime. The current Yankees could use a former Manny.

• forensic says:

They wouldn’t be getting a former Manny. They’d be getting a current Manny.

• I'm One says:

But what is “current Manny”? Is he an upgrade over what they’ve got? On a minor league deal, I’d have liked to find out. Oh well, they never look for my opinion anyway (probably rightly so for about 95% of their decisions).

• trr says:

They could use that earlier incarnation of him. At this point, who knows what to expect. We’ve got enough of that on our roster now.

5. Yanke Since 1957 says:

I wish A-Rod had stayed with the Rangers or had wound up on the Red Sox. Manny is probably a bigger dumb azz that A-Rod. At least A-Rod didn’t throw down a 65 year old (that we know of) traveling secretary because he could not get Manny the number of tickets he wanted.

I wish I could continually screw up and cheat at my job and keep getting more and mor money and opportunities.

6. Gerry says:

The Yankees have been burned badly by ARod. Lesson learned, hence no bother with Manny.

7. John Conte says:

Manny Ramirez got released by two major league teams and no one was interested in him then. I wonder if he’ll make it back on a major league level. These types of stupid articles are great for the writer. If Manny fails, we forget about the article. If Manny succeeds, then the writer will take credit for saying he predicted Manny would succeed. It’s a win-win for the writer.