Jul

Yankees release Brennan Boesch

The Yankees have released Brennan Boesch to clear a 40-man roster spot for Brent Lillibridge, the team announced. He was on the Triple-A DL with a shoulder injury and not particularly close to returning. Fun Fact: Boesch had the third highest wRC+ (123) of any player to have at least one plate appearance with the Yankees this season.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. MannyGeee - Proven Starter says:

Wow… That’s interesting. Is this procedural, i.e. cut him from the 40 man and resign to a AAA deal? I’d hate to cut bait on him now, I am in the vast minority that thinks he could have value past 2013 for this team.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Then apparently I’m in the majority.
      I suppose a milb deal could be a possibility, though I’d think they might’ve just tried to outright him if they wanted to keep him.

• YogiScooterMantle says:

I agree completely. I was pretty disappointed to see this. I liked what I saw from him during the year while he was up and believe he still had some upside. He wasn’t anything amazing, but I was optimistic and he did ok. Again, being younger gives him a chance to grow. Hope we can sign him back somehow, I wanted to see him back up when he was healthy.

2. Tipsie says:

please claim C Dick, just designated by Baltimore

• MannyGeee - Proven Starter says:

You’d rather him than Boesch? Why? Outside of the obvious nostalgia factor…

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Boesch career: 260/315/418
        Dickerson career: 263/340/408
        And Dickerson is the much better defender and better baserunner.

Personally, I’d rather have neither and get somebody good.

• Now Batting says:

Comparing their career statistics is kind of irrelevant when Dickerson hasn’t had more than 106 plate appearances in a season since 2009 and is 31 while the other averaged almost 500 per season before this year and is 28.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

It’s not ideal.
            But Dickerson is clearly better in the other facets of the game, and outside of one season, I’m not sure Boesch is much better offensively.
            Neither one is good, overall.

3. Leg-End says:

Probably flying out of here with his helicopter swing as we speak.

4. Duh Injuries says:

Watch this guy put up a Chris Davis impersonation for two weeks.

5. ???? says:

Why would they release him and not Gonzales?????? I don’t get it.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Gonzalez is actually on the MLB roster.
      Boesch is injured.
      Gonzalez will be released soon enough, likely Monday when/if ARod is activated.

6. Laz says:

In other news:
    DICKERSON IS AVAILABLE!

7. Mberk15 says:

Look, the guy obviously banged somedbody’s wife, because the utter, intense, passionate hatred of him simply has no other explanation. If he were healthy, he should be hitting cleanup on this POS team.

8. Chris says:

Disappointed. Probably just a numbers, timing thing. They expect granderson back in Early/mid aug and that Would give them 4 outfielders that all are a must on the 25 man roster 3 of whom are lefty like boesch. I like Dickerson too but I thinks the O’s are hopeful to trade him. The way some media outlets reported it was that he was granted his release meaning he asked for it. Understandable. He had surprisingly good numbers because to me it felt like he saw most of his action against lefty pitching early on.