Aug

Yankees sign Reynolds, send down Claiborne, designate Cruz

As expected, the Yankees have indeed signed Mark Reynolds. He is in tonight’s lineup. Preston Claiborne was sent to Triple-A Scranton to clear a 25-man roster spot and Luis Cruz was designated for assignment to clear a 40-man roster spot. Rosters expand in two weeks, Claiborne will be back soon enough. Still, sending him down and keeping Joba Chamberlain makes zero sense if you are trying to win ballgames.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh, they are riding this thing out with Joba until the very end, Mike. Don’t you ever think otherwise.

It’s two weeks, and there’s been some regression with him for sure, but he is a pretty vital cog that I think they’ll actually miss for a couple of weeks. Right now, he was more than good enough a 6th Inning Guy (TM) when needed.

2. emac2 says:

What does it say about management when they keep a player on the roster only to keep another team from claiming him.

Weak

3. NeilT says:

I’d have DFA’d Joba, and if nobody picked him up, tried to get him to sign a pro-rated minor league contract for the rest of the year.

But that’s why I’m not the GM of the Yankees.

4. forensic says:

Yuck, except for the DFA’ing Cruz part.

• forensic says:

Obviously though, they’re very concerned about the two more likely than not terrible/short starts this weekend.

5. Stephen says:

Seems like a wasted option, no? It doesn’t look like it’s going to be a huge deal because he appears to be locked into that bullpen for a few years for now (as opposed to being optioned before accumulating too much service time). Still, Warren was struggling just as much (probably slightly more, but I don’t have the numbers), and he has already had an option used this year. Would have made more sense long-term and likely short-term, no? Not a make-or-break decision, but definitely a bit questionable. Hopefully, we steer clear of problems down the road with Claiborne continuing to outperform his pre-2013 expectations to become an MLB mainstay for the Yankees.

• pat says:

You don’t use an option every time you’re sent back an forth. Just one a year.

• Stephen says:

I am aware. That’s why I don’t understand this. Claiborne has not used an option yet. He was not even on the 40 when the season started. Warren had one used. I don’t remember when, but I believe it was sometime after a double header. Perhaps in early June? I don’t get burning an option when you don’t have to.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

If a player demotion lasts less than 20 days, it doesn’t count as an option. Presumably, Claiborne would be back when rosters expand, so he wouldn’t officially use up an option.

• Stephen says:

Oh gotcha, I thought it was 14 days. Don’t know where I got that number from, haha.

• forensic says:

I do believe you’re right (and I forgot about that), but some places don’t even mention that as a rule. Regardless, the ones that do say 20 days total in the minors, so hopefully the time in the minors while not on the 40-man (during the same season) don’t count into that (which isn’t specified anywhere I’ve seen, at least). If they do count, then it’s an option.

I would assume they don’t count, but there may be a non-zero chance that they do count.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

From the CBA, fwiw:

If a Player is optionally assigned for a total of less than 20 days in one championship season, such optional assignment(s) shall not count as an optional assignment in connection with the limitation upon optional assignments provided for in Major League Rule 11(c )

By this, I don’t think non-40 time counts, just time while actually optioned.

• forensic says:

Yeah, I’m sure you’re right, I’m just trying to talk my way out of looking like an ass.

It’s certainly not the first time. :-)

• forensic says:

This is the first time this year he’s being sent down (after being on the 40-man), so it uses the option.

• Mike Axisa says:

He has to be down for 20 days to burn an option, but that won’t happen since rosters are expanding soon. Besides, if they need to use an option on him in 2016, he’s probably not worth keeping around.

6. stuart a says:

could not agree more. claiborne was much more valuable to the team then Jobber….

with huff, warren, and jobber on the roster they have 3 pitchers who cannot pitch in close games ….

good news stewart is in the lineup today after all why play romine who is hitting much better recently..

7. trr says:

This team does seem to overvalue certain players for reasons no one can fathom. Joba is one of them. It’s over for him in NY.

And Stewart in the line up again? Hoping we see Romine the next 2 games.

• forensic says:

It’s not a reason no one can fathom, in my opinion. It’s because he’s home grown and they hate admitting failure, in a way, which is basically what it would be if they were to cut bait with him (especially this close to the end of his time in the organization anyway).

It’s the same reason Hughes has started over other healthy options for part of the season.

8. Darren says:

WTF. Unless Claiborne is hurt or pissed of Mo or something, this is horrible. I still find it hard to part ways with Joba, but I can’t imagine sending down our third best BP arm.

Can’t we send down Adams? Nelson, Brignac? Almont, Melky? they’re not in the team? Well, fuck me with a resin bag.

Seriously, WTF.

9. The Real Greg says:

Wait a minute, they can’t send down Joba anyway, so why complain?

• forensic says:

He didn’t say to send him down. He talked about keeping him, meaning not DFA’ing him.

• The Real Greg says:

What’s his salary like?

• The Real Greg says:

Got it. It’s 1.88 million.

If it was under a million, I would cut him. But of course Scrooge McSteinbrenner’s in charge

• forensic says:

$1.88 is the whole season, not what’s left for the remainder of the season.

• The Real Greg says:

Okay I did not realize they were paid in installments and not with a lump sum at the end of the season.

Then cut him.

• forensic says:

They’re paid about every two weeks, like many normal careers, to my knowledge, except for during the offseason.

That’s why A-Rod shovels driveways during the winter to supplement his income.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

This is just dumb. By this logic, Ben Francisco should still be a Yankee.

• forensic says:

You either pay him to pitch for you and, potentially, hurt the team or you pay him to go away and not, potentially, hurt the team. It doesn’t change what you owe either way, and it’s not like it’s a multi-year deal.

Regardless, it’s only about $470,000 left, estimating a quarter of the season remaining.

10. Tom says:

Why was Huff called up in the first place? He is the 8th man in the pen and either a backup LOOGY or backup long man. If he doesn’t get called up then Reynolds could have just taken Betances spot and they would get back to a normal roster construction.

If the bullpen does get trashed today or tomorrow, then the Yankees could easily call Huff up for the next day. He is fixing a problem that doesn’t exist yet and it cost them Claiborne for 10 days.

They have a doubleheader coming up Tues and while they can call up an extra arm, it would be nice to have a semi-reliable arm for one of those games.

• Steve (different one) says:

And who starts that game of the DHer?

Huff or Warren, right?

So yes, there was a “problem” that needed fixing..

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

They could have just called up Huff as the extra player for the DH (if he or Warren is going to get the start)

• Tom says:

And you call him up for that game… on Tues. Why use up a roster spot 4 games before he is actually needed, and in the process lose a useful reliever for 10 days?

And since you are allowed to bring up an extra player for the DH, you would then not even have to send Claiborne down.

• Steve (different one) says:

Will I dig in my heels here or just admit I forgot about the rule where you get another player for a DH? Hmmm….

You are right. Perhaps the move was made before they knew Reynolds would sign with them?

11. Conor in China says:

If they were unable to send Joba down, it makes sense to send Claibourne down, he is the 5th guy out of the pen. They clearly want a second lefty for Boston, plus a spot starter and longman for Tuesday.