Oct

Gonzales: Cubs have made it clear they will top Yanks’ offer to Girardi

Via Mark Gonzales: The Cubs have “made it clear through channels” they are willing to top whatever contract offer the Yankees make Joe Girardi. George King says New York offered their manager a three-year deal worth north of $12M guaranteed with bonuses that could push the total value to $15M. It would make Girardi one of the highest paid managers in baseball and they’re still waiting for his response.

We heard the Cubs were willing to make a “serious contract offer” just last week, but Girardi’s contract doesn’t expire until October 31st and the Yankees are not giving him permission to negotiate with other teams in the meantime. In addition to increasing the risk of losing him, they would also be gift-wrapping Girardi some serious leverage by allowing him to talk to the Cubs or whoever else before his contract runs out. I’m going to stick with my original not-so-bold prediction that if he doesn’t re-sign with the Yankees before his contract expires, Girardi’s a goner.

Categories : Asides, Coaching Staff

1. Karl Krawfid says:

Bye bye!

2. Kevin says:

So is RiverAveBlues the “Channel” they are making this clear through?

3. dc1874 says:

Note to self…when visiting Chicago never drink there water..only way to explain this story.

4. I'm One says:

Paging Mr. Pena, Mr. Tony Pena. Your managerial interview is waiting.

5. RetroRob says:

This is all being leaked by Girardi’s agent to try and get more money for his client.

6. Eddard says:

I say let him go. The offer they made is more than fair. If he wants to go to Chicago and wallow in mediocrity let him. We’ve got Jorgie waiting in the wings to be the next manager – Paulie hitting coach, Coney pitching coach, Mariano bullpen coach, Jeter player/bench coach.

7. Girardi has by the end of the day Wednesday to accept the offer, if not, then I pull the offer back and give him permission to talk to the Cubs. It stupid to let rumors drive up the Yankees offer when they have exclusive rights.

I like Girardi, and prefer him compaired to the field of replacements, but managers aren’t that valuable.

8. AllyinCt says:

I would give Girardi one week to make his decision and then I would withdraw the offer and begin interviewing. Pena would be a good candidate.

• I'm One says:

I agree. Whenever engaging in negotiations, a deadline for acceptance should go along with the offer.

• ROBTEN says:

You have 24 hours to give us our money. And to show you we’re serious… you have 12 hours.

• The Other Mister D says:

That depends on who has the power. That’s kind of murky here – does staying in NY matter more to the Yankee brass or Girardi? The main thing though is that he’s under contract for the month, so there’s no reason to push him yet. We all know the Chicago offer is waiting for him, and so does he. There’s still plenty of time for friendly give and take before you have to start pushing him.

9. Darren says:

When Girardi was asked how big of a factor money will be when making his decision, he held up his fingers in the shape of a zero.

10. jjyank says:

I’m not sure what the Cubs are thinking here, assuming this is true. This isn’t Mike Trout, free agent at at 27. We’re not talking about some super star that you vow to top any other offer in order to get.

I like Girardi, but I’m also of the opinion that managers don’t make much of a difference over the course of a full season. Meaning one manager compared to the next.

I’d like to keep Girardi, but if the Cubbies go nuts, he’s replaceable.

• CashmanNinja says:

I agree to a certain extent. I don’t think they should go crazy as if he’s an All-Star player, but I do think managers are more important than some think. A perfect example is Bobby Valentine. The Red Sox were awful under him, but bring in a new manager and suddenly the trouble makers start buying into the new system and become more productive. So I do think we could do worse. I still think Girardi is a great manager, but the fact that the Cubs want to spend so much on him is kind of weird.

• jjyank says:

I get what you’re saying, but that’s a bad analogy. A lot of those players weren’t on the 2013 Red Sox team. Crawford was gone. Beer drinking/chicken eating Beckett was gone. Bitching-about-scheduling Adrian Gonzalez was gone. Youk was gone. And probably several others that are escaping me at the moment. Point being, that the 2013 Red Sox are just a different team.

That said, I do think Bobby Valentine blows, and he wasn’t able to control what was likely a volatile clubhouse. I won’t argue with you about the degree of an impact that a manager has, because none of this is quantifiable. In reality, none of us knows exactly how much positive or negative influence a manager has when we’re discussing on-field results over a large sample.

But I don’t think any manager, never mind Girardi, is worth the effort to top a rival offer no matter what.

• The Other Mister D says:

Just because it is not quantifiable doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter. Qualitative traits are just as important as quantitative ones. We know Girardi can handle this clubhouse, and that he can manage a bullpen. Those are important factors that shouldn’t be ignored. As for the money, it doesn’t count towards the luxury tax, so I could care less how much the team gives the manager.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

If you’re not putting players on the field, then bring the hometown boy back to manage. It works…..actually, it never works.

• trr says:

jj, I agree with you 100%

11. Shittyshittybangbang says:

From Cubs perspective, he’s perfect; area kid, played for the franchise, big time-big market manager, would absolutely re-energize the fan base and is considered a players manager, with young player repoire.

• Ryan D says:

He’ll re-energize the fan base until they fall into a brutal losing streak. Cubs are still in rebuilding mode and are far from putting out a competing team, or conceivably a .500 level team.

12. cr1 says:

Now fans see Girardi as a competent mgr — but remember how long it took for him to get there.

Remember his stumbling from blunder to blunder the first year, lying to the press every other day, ordering ice cream and candy out of the
    clubhouse, barely tolerated by most players.

Remember his improvement the next year, perceptible though hardly miraculous — relaxing the Drill Instructor persona a bit, cringing at press questions still but learning that no answer at all is better than a lie, players more accepting …

And so onwards and upwards year by year.

Keep in mind that if JG leaves some new guy will have to go through his own learning curve.

13. gageagainstthemachine says:

Looks like the Cubbies are going to get a slap on the wrist like Magic Johnson and his comments on Cano…
    Anyone else see that headline? Why can’t a team say, “Not interested” or “Very interested”. Baseball’s a business and this is a free market economy. If one side wants to ruin any negotiating power in the future by making stupid public statements I say…hey…it’s their own damn fault. Kind of like Hobby Lobby not being open on Sundays and leaving religions out of their holiday stock and telling them “We don’t cater to you people.” It’s their own damn fault to run a business model that excludes potential customers.
    Anyhow, my two cents. Girardi stays as a Yankee. Just has to get the family’s “ok”. How on Earth could anyone leave one of the best franchises (even in a down year they have a winning record) to go to possibly the worst baseball organization on the planet? Unless his goal in accepting that job would be to completely rebuild and leave a legacy, I can’t see him leaving. And if that’s the case, I hate to say it, but sorry Chicago Girardi isn’t the guy. He’s a good manager by all means, but he’s not going to be that big of a difference in revitalizing a dying franchise. They need prayer and a lot of luck for that to happen in the northern part of Chicago. The Yankees may be battered, but they’re not dying.

14. Silvio says:

If he leaves, it could be for Cubbie dough or even to desert what he thinks may be a sinking Yankee ship. Or both.

If he stays, despite Cubbie dough (always assuming that story’s for real), it could mean Hal and the Sibs are prepared to give Joe more cards to play with than last year.

Tell ya the truth, it’s hard to believe he would want to stay in NY IF the ship were truly sinking (because of 189, old age, anti-Yankee rules, etc.) and also IF the Cubs were throwing money at him. Might as well sink in Chicago: less press insanity, old family ties, etc.

He might be saying, Let Bronx in Hudson melt.

15. JobaWockeeZ says:

Really wonder why he’s so sought after. I mean he’s not a terrible coach but neither “we have to match the Yankees offer” one either.

• Darren says:

If you were in charge of a business that was worth hundreds of millions of dollars, you’d want a guy who is close to a sure thing. Girardi is a pro with the media, has won a World Series, is good with young players (Marlins), good with veterans, good with the bullpen, good with patching together a lineup. etc. It’s not like there’s a million guys out there who fit the description.

16. Bo Knows says:

I like Joe, I believe he’ll stay in NY but if he doesn’t Mike Maddux wouldn’t be a bad route to go

17. Mickey Scheister says:

I think if this whole Joey G thing doesn’t work out, that Bobby Valentine character would be a stand up choice.

18. Smooth Black says:

I must say, good riddance to Girardi. He’s an extremely overrated manager. What most people don’t realize here is that managers are actually not all that important, except when they get in their own way with the binders and match-ups. Time to get a manager who actually has guts and instincts. Especially given the dark times ahead for this team. Might as well get someone who will entertain the fans, since the team won’t.

19. 461deep says:

One point in Joe’s decision is dealing with sensitive situations surrounding declining veteran team members. Jeter CC, Ichiro, Tex etc.
    Does he want to be forced to play them if they are doing poorly.
    Or manage a young Cubs team…

20. burnettscreamfilling says:

Girardi is so overated, the yankees won in 2009 in spite of Girardi not because of him. Let him walk please. I have no probelm admitting that i wanted the yanks to hire him back in the day, but boy has he proven me wrong. Just let him go please!

• WhittakerWalt says:

That’s right. Girardi was actively trying to make the Yankees LOSE in 2009, but they just wouldn’t comply.

21. David Ortiz Dealer says:

Thank You Theo Epstein.

PS: Please Insist on Larry Rothchild.