Oct

Tuesday Night Open Thread

After one day of silence, we finally had our first bit of offseason news this afternoon. Brian Cashman confirmed he spoke to Joe Girardi face-to-face about a new contract yesterday and is scheduled to meet with his agent tomorrow. The Yankees certainly haven’t made it a secret that they want to re-sign their manager, and Girardi has understandably played the “I need to speak to my family before making a decision” card. The Cubs canned Dale Sveum yesterday, so if nothing else, Girardi will be able to use them as leverage. Hopefully they can work out a new agreement and soon so the team can move on to other important business.

Here is tonight’s open thread. The Reds and Pirates are playing the NL Wildcard Game at 8pm ET on TBS (Johnny Cueto vs. Francisco Liriano), officially starting the postseason. Last night’s tiebreaker game between the Rays and Rangers was technically a regular season game. The NHL season starts tonight, but otherwise there’s not much else going on. You folks know how these things work by now, so have at it.

Sporcle Quiz!: This is a good one — you have to name the 95 (!) pitchers who have had a win saved by Mariano Rivera. I only guessed 55 and got almost all of the obvious ones, but I completely spaced on Hiroki Kuroda. There’s a freebie for ya. Good luck.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Darren says:

I won’t try to get all 95, but I’m gonna try for some semi-randos.

Kaminiceki
    Key
    Rogers
    Small
    Chacon
    Brown
    Vasquez
    Loaiza
    Johnson

• Darren says:

Got 41. Awesome quiz but that dredged up some bad memories!

SPOILER: Tom Gordon. yuck!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You’d be wrong on a couple.

• Darren says:

Yup, I was wrong on a few. I thought Mo saved a few for Key and Kaminiceki in 96 filling in for Wetteland.

Oh well, at least I remembered Brandon Claussen and Ron Villone when I took the actual quiz!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I didn’t remember either. Darren wins.

• Chris Z. says:

40. I forgot Wang but. Remembered kei igawa. Because I was there and a friend said “you probably won’t see that too often”. Boy was he right.

I’m glad I got some random bullpen ones tho.

• JAG says:

49, remembered Shawn Chacon, Aaron Small, Darrell Rasner (boy, what great days those were….:P), I forgot a couple fairly obvious but forgivable ones. Remembered Javier Vazquez but not Bartolo Colon or Kevin Brown. I was surprised Key wasn’t on there, but Sterling Hitchcock was.

2. Pseudoyanks says:

Everyone in Chicago is wearing a Black Hawks shirt today.

3. Leg-End says:

63.

Quite bizzare how some of the lesser relieves just remain etched into the back of your memory though, Mitre, Witasick and Chan Ho Park have no reason to remain in there.

Ah man, I forgot sweaty Freddy! Most winningest pitcher I forgot was Randy Johnson.

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

52 out of 95. Most obvious missed was Ramiro Mendoza. Most recent missed was David Huff.

I have zero recollection of Dan Naulty.

That’s quite the trip down memory lane there.

5. JGYank says:

That was hard. 40/95. Not too bad for a guy who started watching games in 08.

6. Lukaszek says:

Got Ted Lilly and Phil Coke, so I feel accomplished already

7. Robinson Tilapia says:

200 out of 230

Notable names forgotten: Kevin Youkilis (!), Bobby Abreu, Danny Tartabull, Ruben Sierra.

I did get every Opening Day starter. I’m impressed.

8. GO PIRATES!

I tried that same Sporcle when I saw it on Mike’s Twitter feed the other day. I don’t remember my total. I did manage to chew up some of the semi-big numbered pitchers when I thought back to the late ’90s and the relievers.

9. Somewhere, people are going to whine about how playoff games at Yankee Stadium don’t get as loud as they are in Pittsburgh tonight, fully failing to realize that games of this magnitude haven’t been played in Pittsburgh in over 20 years, and that there’s about 20 years worth of frustration coming out of these fans on nights like tonight.

I think the Pirates have a better chance at beating the Cardinals; much better chance, in fact. Couple that with wanting to see more PNC Park in the playoffs, and I’m full on the Pirates here.

10. cheddar says:

You guys are impressive.

I don’t know if it’s my recently turning 50 or anesthesia from surgery a couple of weeks ago, but I can barely remember who the closer was this year.

11. forensic says:

I guess it’s too much work for Marlon Byrd to button his shirt all the way up?

12. ClayDavis says:

Martin just contributed more in a single postseason game than Chris Stewart did in a month. What a genius move that was..

13. Betty Lizard says:

Russell Martin part 2.

14. WhittakerWalt says:

I bet Chris Stewart would have put on a similar show.

15. David N says:

Damn, Russell.

16. Cuso says:

Dammit that was an awesome Sporcle, I hate that it was timed though.

I drew a blank and only got 45…

17. WhittakerWalt says:

I like watching Adam Dunn hit home runs. I hate having to hear Hawk Harrelson call those home runs.

18. YankeeTX says:

Raise the Jolly Roger!

Is it just me or does Ron Darling sound exactly like James Woods ?

19. i love the big long ball (once and future vicki) says:

i’m not a goal. i’m a mandate.