Oct

Tuesday Night Open Thread

There is no baseball tonight — the World Series continues tomorrow in Boston, today is a travel day — so I figured I’d go with a non-baseball video just to lighten the mood a little. Sports can be serious business, man. It’s always good to take a second to sit back, catch your breath, and relax a little when you have a chance.

Here’s your open thread for the evening. It’s the NBA version of Opening Day, though neither the Knicks nor Nets are playing. All three hockey locals are in action. Talk about any of those games or anything else here. Enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

You know what’s the worst part about the saux winning, it will be years before the media stops talking about it. For the next several years, all we’ll hear is, “nobody has won more than the saux, since 2004″. As if baseball history only dates back to 2004.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Don’t watch or listen to those who say that.

I don’t watch “Baseball Tonight.” I don’t watch the MLB Network. I read box score and sites like this one. I watch highlights on YES. Blocks out a ton of that nonsense.

2. pat says:

Jose Abreu tearing up when he first walks onto the field at US Cellular.

3. Dan says:

New York Bar results come out tonight at midnight, or possibly tomorrow. This shit is driving me crazy.

4. Mark in VT says:

Pedroia beats out Robbie for Gold Glove.

5. Gomer says:

ESPN2, must watch TV. DOn’t miss it!

6. Mike B. says:

I was going to use the open thread here to ask any of you guys if you knew what happened to Dino Costa, the Sirius Radio sports show host. I found a link in the Daily News that explained it, though–they fired him this past Friday. Too bad, as I enjoyed his atypical commentaries on sports, politics, and life in general. He was honest and did not reosrt to the pablum that we hear on so many sports talk radio shows. I hope he returns soon! In the meantime, I will cancel my Sirius subscription (now if they let me and give me a refund or when it expires in a few months).

7. Reuther says:

How the hell does that dog stay on its hind legs for that whole time? Damn

8. Lukaszek says:

Lou Reed is dead :( Quiet unfortunate, man was only 71 years old.

• ropeadope says:

Yes, couple of days now. Are you familiar with The Velvet Underground & Nico (the banana album). Velvets first album released way back in ’67, which I believe pre-dates you. Very much worth checking out.

RIP Lou.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Didn’t think many would care on here, but a very sad loss for me. Lou was pretty much the quintessential NYC rock n roll guy. Never compromised. Never stopped evolving.

David Bowie posted a beautiful picture on his FB page of the two of them recently together. Neither fucking cared how old they were. They kept on trying new things as if they were still 25.

• Lukaszek says:

To be fair Van Halen and Def Leppard also predate me. I’m about the age of Boyz II Men and Coolio

• ropeadope says:

I recall your comment of leaving for college which is why I thought that, but age has no bearing on enjoying the music. I just thought you might not be familiar with the early years of Lou Reed’s career (with the Velvet Underground – quite extraordinary), and if not, might wish to explore it.

• Lukaszek says:

You’re right man, age is nothing when it comes to enjoying music. Almost everything on my iPod is 70′s and 80′s. There are very few 21st century songs that get me as high as “Walk On the Wild Side” or “I’m Waiting for the Man”