Oct

Youkilis’ agent confirms no talks with Yankees about possible return

Via Anthony McCarron: Kevin Youkilis‘ agent Joe Bick confirmed he has not had any conversations with the Yankees regarding a potential return next season. It’s unclear if the team has any interest. “He’s fine,” said Bick when asked about his client’s back. “Had the Yankees made it to the postseason, there’s a pretty good chance he would’ve been ready to play.

Youkilis, 34, hit a weak .219/.305/.343 (78 wRC+) with two homers in 118 plate appearances this summer. He played only 28 games due to back problems, including season-ending surgery in early-June. The Yankees could actually use a player just like Youkilis, a right-handed hitter with (theoretical) power who can play the two corner infield positions, but I don’t see the point in a reunion. They had a better (and far cheaper) version in Mark Reynolds down the stretch. Given his history of back problems, New York shouldn’t consider bringing Youkilis back in 2014.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

Thank god for the little things.

2. Adam says:

Never should have signed him in the first place. I wouldn’t sign him to a ML deal.

Now let Robinson Tilapia tell me what an idiot I am.

3. lee says:

Youkilis would also serve as a continual reminder of just how far behind the Red Sox the Yankees are. and we certainly don’t want Yankee management having to deal with that on a daily basis.

4. Nate says:

Would love to see Reynolds back as a bench player.

5. David McCann says:

At the right price and after a review of his medical records I would consider him.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

“Youk tried to start the conversation with the Yanks, but his back gave out.”

There is the smallest of considerations I’d give to him, and very little of them involve a guaranteed MLB deal

• SDB says:

Would you consider something such as a 1-2 million base contract and incentives based on DL avoidance/games played in (or on the active 25 man roster)?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Leaning no. I’d think about it. May think about it even more if it’s January and nothing else is panning out.

• Wolfgang's Fault says:

Depends on how the rest of the off-season goes & where they’re at w/Robbie, ARod, etc. By that time, “Youk” may have signed elsewhere. If he’s free & clear come pitchers & catchers & there’s a need (can’t stress that too strongly), don’t see the problem of inviting him to camp & seeing if he’s healthy again, what he’s got left, if he can help, etc.

My preferences are w/a complete rebuild & cutting payroll in 2014, stockpiling draft choices if possible, acquiring prospects for veterans w/a goal of a young, talented, & championship competitive club by 2016 & beyond. Veterans such as Youk who can hold down the fort in 2014-15, reestablish they’re value, & then get dealt for younger upside players at a later date should always be considered under that scenario, but only if they’re actually healthy & capable of playing again, the price is right, & they provide something they don’t already have in the system.

7. Dars says:

This is my offseason plan:
    3B should be manned by a trio of players – Eric Chavez, Mark Reynolds and Eduardo Nunez. Nunez also should be the utility for SS and 2B. Amongst the 3 they would not cost the Yankees more than $9M dollars.
    I would love to see the Yankees sign Beltran and McAnn and sign Brendan Ryan for SS. One of two between Wells and Ichiro should be traded even if we pick part of their salary. Sign Tanaka and spend on one or two reclamation projects for the rotation – Josh Johnson, Dan Haren. Sign Grant Balfour for bullpen insurance. This team puts us in contention right away. With enough power we can carry Ryan as the starting SS.

Line-Up;
    Gardner CF
    Jeter DH
    Cano 2B
    Tex 1B
    Soriano LF
    McAnn C
    Beltran RF
    Chavez/Reynolds 3B
    Ryan SS

Bench: Romine C, Chavez/Reynolds 3b/1B, Wells OF, Nunez IF

SP: Sabathia, Nova, Tanaka, Pineda, Johnson

BP: Phelps, Warren, Balfour, Cabral, Betances, Kelly and Robertson

8. Fernando says:

No, No, No…..a thousand times NO interest in signing him. The team doesn’t need him unless they are trying to fill their open DL slots for next season.

9. KD says:

So long, Youk. And take that damn banner with you. you know, the one on the outside of the Stadium near Gate 8.

10. W.B. Mason Williams says:

“Youkilis’ contract demands include pay incentives for remaining clean-shaven, retention of his same spot on the bench which he has now worked a groove into, and unlimited hot cocoa and heating pads.”

11. AllyinCt says:

I would only sign Youkilis for the minimum and then trade him to a Japanese team. Not a fan of his….grrr.

12. I’m in the minimum, but I want Youk in 2014 on an incentive-laden contract with the ability to be DFA’d.

13. Bob Buttons says:

The gut in me tells me HELL NO because it’s a waste of time.
    The brain in me says why the hell not if its NRI, but I doubt he’d accept an NRI with NY.

14. BigHeadKay says:

I think some of you girls need to save the bickering for the high school drama club and leave this site for people who actually want to comment on MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL.

15. BigHeadKay says:

If the Yanks can keep Reynolds, I think he is perfect for 3rd base this year. No need to trade for anyone else, or sign Youkilis who ended up being a bad signing anyway. We paid for his back surgery….now he’ll probably do well for a NON-YANKEE team.