Nov

Update: Cano has not yet received any offers from other teams

Sunday: The Yankees are the only team to make Cano a contract offer at this point, reports Martin. It’s possible teams are waiting until tomorrow’s deadline for players to accept or reject qualifying offers before getting serious about pursuing free agents. Joel Sherman says New York’s limit for Robbie appears to be $180-200M across eight years. “The ball’s in his court,” said a source to Martin.

Thursday: Via Dan Martin: There has been “no recent movement” in contract talks between the Yankees and Robinson Cano. A market for the second baseman has yet to develop, which isn’t surprising at this point. Free agency just opened and things usually don’t pick up for the top free agents until the Winter Meetings in early December.

Meanwhile, Ken Rosenthal notes Cano’s reported $305M demand was floated at the All-Star break and was his price for foregoing free agency. He and his agent placed a premium on testing the open market and weren’t going be bought out cheap. Rosenthal adds that Robbie’s ultimate price will depend more on the market than his personal salary goal — he could wind up signing for something very close to the seven years and $161M the Yankees already offered.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Mike HC says:

It can’t hurt to ask, but he should have just said that he wants to test free agency. I guess the agents have to look like they are doing something to justify how much they are about to get paid off Cano.

2. SMK says:

One scenario that somewhat frightens me is Texas trading off Andrus and Kinsler to free up the dough to make a run at Cano. They already have their ready-made SS replacement in Profar.

I haven’t read anything about that scenario, but they like to make a splash (which they haven’t done since Darvish.)

Cano rakes everywhere he plays, but 81 games a year in that park would be a frightening proposition.

• Farewell Mo says:

Can you imagine some package of something like Profar, Martin Perez and others for David Price and then they sign Cano and move Kinsler to LF or 1B?

3. Short Porch says:

As much as I love Cano, the lifespan of second basemen is generally short. $310 million is crazy. There is no way on gods green earth that he is as productive the next eight years as he was his first eight. Pass. It pains me to say it, but it is the rational thing to do.

Felt the same way about the A-Rod resigning. Bill James has the peak year at 27. Don’t pay for past performance. James btw became a Red Sox advisor in 2003 and they now have 3 rings in 10 years.

We need to figure out how to draft and develop. We should – -and are — scouting the heck out of Asia, where NY still has brand equity and where the Yanks can still improve with a smaller luxury tax.

I love (d) Cano. The odds are he will never be better than his days with the Yanks.

• BigHeadKay says:

I agree with you 10000%. The Yanks need to start ‘forward’ thinking. Cano is what 31? He has some good years left…but at the end of a 7 year deal is when he will start to really drop off….he’ll be 38.a 10 year deal will take him through 41 years old….certainly NOT the norm for a productive 2nd baseman.

Scouting and development need to improve…as you said. We need another ‘CORE 4′ for the next Yankee dynasty. and the scouting these days leaves much to be desired.

4. qwerty says:

4 years with team options for years 5 and 6. Take it or leave it.

• jjyank says:

?

That’s just offensive. I get the whole “draw the line in the sand” thing, but that line at least needs to approach what can be considered realistic.

• qwerty says:

Ok, five years!

• The Big City of Dreams says:

I’m not sure what world some Yankee fans live in when you can give the best player at his position to take a four yr deal and if he doesn’t let him walk. I understand not wanting to get burned but you don’t even get to sit at the table offering 4 or 5 yrs.

• I'm One says:

There are teams that will do something similar to this, but not the Yankees. Those teams are constantly in “rebuild” mode and rarely make the playoffs and never have sustained success. The Yankees can choose to do that if the want to risk having to replace him. I love Robbie, but there comes a point where the Yankees need to say “No”. I don’t, however, think that point is 4 or 5 years max, even at more than $25M/year.

• ajs says:

qwerty, I agree. Its time for the Yankees to be smart. I didn’t like when CC was extended either. The stupid thing, in the past, the Y have basically bid against themselves. When Arod opted out, I blogged, so ARod, you are foregoing 25 million a year for the next five years. Thank you. You have done us a favor. Here is our offer.. 3 years 15 mil per year. Let someone else be stupid enough to pay you. Instead, Hank (who was in control at the time), decides to try a be like his dad, George, and pays him 300 Million! I am still shaking my head. Now, some may say if it wasn’t for Arod, 2009 doesnt happen.. That might be correct.. he played great in the ALDS and ALCS.. Look at his numbers in the WS. IT WASN”T him, it was Matsui who won that series. BTW, is this mediation thing with Arod being extended out bec of his antics, or his this just the process. The Y need to find out what is going on ASAP otherwise their offseason deals are in major trouble.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Hal was right there along with Hank signing off on the deal. It wasn’t Hank going rogue despite what many ppl want to believe.

• Steve (different one) says:

ARod hit .250/.423/.550 in the WS including the go ahead double in game 4 that put the yanks up 3-1.

Also, last time I checked you have to win the ALDS and ALCD to get to the WS.

• qwerty says:

That’s only because he had Kate Hudson cheering for him. Anyone can produce under those conditions. What has Arod done without Kate Hudson, hmmm? All he has now are his nameless whores.

5. Eselquetodolosabe says:

7 @ 161mm, AAV 23mm per ? Wow, what an insult to Robbie ;) Hopefully teams are starting to realize that these mammoth contracts are bad business. To a one, all of the recent high AAV, long years contracts have not delivered anything close to value, but then again, it only takes one offer. Someone here mentioned NY’s reticence to negotiate extensions mid contract. I think they should revisit that policy.

6. kemajic says:

6 years $150 MM is as far as I go.

7. csonk says:

This whole scenario with Cano is a perfect example of just how bad Cashman is………who are we competing against for Cano’s services? Has ANYBODY made overtures? But we just jump right out & offer +$20 mil/yr.? Thats lunacy!!! Its not like Cano & JayZ aren’t going to give the Yankees the opportunity to counter whatever offer they do get somewhere else, which would come from a VERY limited market that even has the capability to play at that level monetarily. Cano is my favorite player. ‘IF’ the market dictates we go that high so be it but let that play out, he has to stop with the fiscal irresponsibility – thats why this team is the mess it is today – take away Cashman’s checkbook & he is not a good GM. If he wanted to hear himself talk he shouldv’e said an initial offer of 6 yrs. – $100. May sound insulting at 1st but point to Pedrioa, 2nd baseman’s natural decline by 33-34 historically, and disclaimer it with “it’s a start” – much like JayZ’s ludicrous $300. mil. is from their end. Giving Cano $160-175 is A-Rod, Texiera, CC type fiscal foolishness. Throw a Cardinals scout a mere fraction of that cash and FIND A PITCHER!!!! ONE!!! ANYWHERE!!! ONE!!! Nah, go overpay Matt Garza to implode in pinstripes instead.

• BigHeadKay says:

CSONK…while I appreciate the common sense approach you have, youmust remember that we are dealing with a homegrown Yankee who has been a solid performer for several years…probably the best at his position in the major leagues. To LOW BALL him with an offer that could be considered an INSULT would not be in the best interest of the Yankess…at least that is my opinion.
      I agree that he has to understand that the days of ARod contracts MUST come to an end…but Cashman cannot risk alienating him either. Cano is appreciated and we have to convey that to him with a contract offer that shows it. 6 years at 150 Million gives him 25 million per…add some incentives maybe to sweeten the deal. But that would guarantee us the best 2nd baseman in the majors for the next 6 years. We can’t risk losing him to Texas or Detroit.
      I agree…the $300 Million is ridiculous…but we gave it to a steroid enhanced Arod. Cano has to understand that the Yankees learned a lesson there.

• qwerty says:

I honestly don’t believe Cano can maintain his current level of play for more than 3 more seasons, max. So, it’s 3 years, not six.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Where does it say above that we know what the initial offer was for? All we know is that Joel Sherman believes the team has an upper limit.

8. mitch says:

Anything under 7/175 i’d consider a victory for the Yankees

9. Pisano says:

Just let Cano move on. The money saved on him can get the Yankees 2 to 3 qualitf players. Don’t go away mad Cano, just go.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Fans turn on players so quickly hmm.

• Havok9120 says:

It’s quite something. As is the belief that 2/3 “quality” players at 8-10 million a year could 1) be found and 2) replace Cano’s production.

• qwerty says:

You can’t find quality players for 25 million dollars?

• OhioYanks says:

Not many players who can even combine (across two roster spots and spots in the line-up) to replace Cano’s individual production, no.

Below someone suggests McCann and Garza with the same money they would pay to Cano ($185 million). Those two combined have roughly 1/2 the fWAR that Cano individually has over the past two seasons. Certainly there’s a limit to what the Yankees should pay, but Cano is worth a hell of a lot of money to any team.

• Havok9120 says:

You can, sure. They likely won’t produce to the same level as Cano, though.

10. tommy cassella says:

you would think the yanks would have learned from last year when they let chavez and ibenez get away. now it looks like they will lose granderson.never in my entire life have I seen a g.m. that’s as bad as cashman. he should be selling shoes somewhere.

11. godfather says:

i’d go 18- per for four years on cano…or offer 22.5 a year for three seasons; neither he nor nyy would be hung out to dry for one of those insipid — from the club’s standpoint — “’til death do us part” pacts

12. Nathan says:

I hope the market dries for Cano and/or fails to live up to expectations. If he wants to take the Yankees for every penny, let him walk.

• Havok9120 says:

What in God’s name has Cano done to be worthy of that kind of bile?

• The Big City of Dreams says:

It is fascinating isn’t it. You would think Cano was arrested for driving under the influence or a domestic dispute. And no not wanting Cano signed at all costs doesn’t make you a hater but there does seem to be a section of the fan base that is turned off by him. Even his durability is now being held against him lol.

• Nathan says:

I didn’t say I wanted him to die of gonorrhea, what’s the problem?

He’s being greedy. He’s a very good player, the best on the Yankees and the free agent market but he has to know that what he wants would severely handicap the Yankees and their chance to win so if he’s all about the top dollar, let him walk.

• OhioYanks says:

Would love to see you approach your boss (or one of your parent’s boss) to say that you want a pay cut for the good of the organization.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Fans live in a crazy world where top players take pay cuts. I remember hearing the greedy talk with Jeter too when his ten yr deal ended smh.

• qwerty says:

Players don’t concern themselves with how teams run themselves, that’s not their job and they have no control over it. If Hal wants to impose some 189 salary cap to save a few dollars that’s on him not Cano.

• Havok9120 says:

This contract is almost certainly the only truly huge payday that the guy is ever gonna get. It is the only such payday in the history of his family. It is likely the only such payday anyone in his family is ever likely to receive. AND there’s a case to be made that that his previous contract was team friendly _even when he signed it_ let alone the last couple years.

I’d want my money, too.

13. Jose Domingues says:

To fix,
    *that covers CANOS salary in likelythood…

*so please forgive me…

Sorry writing on my smartphone is not fun…

14. Jose Domingues says:

Listen,

For me the signing of Cano will show me everything I need to know about the Yankees for the foreseeable future. We need to get younger, we need to a “rebuildish” type reload (rebuild around our terrible contracts tex arod cc ). I know this will not happen overnight, nor will it happen within the next few years, but we have to START the process sometime. We do not need a all-universe second baseman to win the world series. That money can and SHOULD be dispersed over even two positions would be a minor victory, ie. catcher about 100 million for brian, and pitcher 85 million garza, that covers cons salary in likelyhood… it’s a very rough example of how to better utilize the resources. I’m sure more brilliant people can come up with better examples so don’t forgive me.
    I’m just tired of watching this team slowly sputter into the playoffs and get bounced by other teams whom employ the above mentioned philosophy.

• I'm One says:

I’d be very surprised if Robbie wasn’t brought back, so I guess you’ll be disappointed and perhaps no longer a fan of the team. Stars put butts in seats and bring in advertising revenue and right now, Robbie is that star. While I understand your sentiment, I just don’t see the Yankees letting him go without making a solid offer. Sure, they may get out-bid, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t go at least as high as 7/$175M.

• Havok9120 says:

Not to mention that the production Cano has been bringing to the table is unlikely to be replaced even if we throw his money only at hitters.

A lot of people seem to have forgotten what it felt like when 2 run deficits were insurmountable. Removing Cano and adding, say, Beltran and McCann, would not improve the situation overall. I feel we need some kind of elite anchor to the offense, and the only guy available for that job is Cano.

• qwerty says:

As good as Cano is, he is simply not Miguel Cabrera, Joey Votto, Mike Trout, or Chris Davis.

• OhioYanks says:

Did anyone compare him to those players in any way?

Cano is 4th in MLB in fWAR the past two seasons: http://www.fangraphs.com/leade.....;players=0

There are players who are better, but he is damn good and would not be at all easy to replace by spreading the wealth around to mid-tier FAs.

(Chris Davis, by the way, does not belong on your list. He has only one season above 2 fWAR… might not want to base things so much on one season samples. His best season is right in line with Cano’s annual production.)

• qwerty says:

The OP made it sound like Cano was indispensable in the lineup, and he’s not.

• Havok9120 says:

He’s indispensable this offseason. I don’t want to pay him anything he asks, and if he wants an 8th year I say it needs to be at a massive discount. He cannot be replaced. Losing him and remaining relevant over the next two seasons will require a complete reworking of the team.

I’m willing to do that if his demands are truly insane, but I don’t think a lot of people realize the consequences of losing him.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

No one is indepensible. He’s also not easily replaceable to spreading his money amongst a bunch of B and C-level guys.

• Jose Domingues says:

I totally respect what you said, but I disagree with certain parts. As for putting “butts” in seats, we have had Cano here for 8 years now and the attendance has been sub par. These are his peak years mind you…
        Yankees fans are not fools (for the most part) you field a winning team that on paper give you real optimism (something we haven’t had here recently) and the fans will come watch the team play. We want a winning team, not a team with 1 approaching decline superstar, and 3 horrendous contracts (tex,CC,,AROD)surrounded by below average major leaguers…
        I guess the real problem with the Yankees and myself is this 189 budget. I would like to fix our team wisely and through free agency year by year we can do this, one piece here 1 piece there… We get lucky with the draft, sign some international stars, and bam! we are back in the lime light… But this approach takes discipline and we need to start somewhere… but whatever, sign Cano, 7 years 200 million same story = same ending…
        By the way, I will always be a Yankees fan, I’m just getting tired of seeing the same thing happen to my beloved team, and I feel as tough some restraint would be wise aka don’t sign guys to huge deal into their late 30′s…

• OhioYanks says:

The Yankees have led the AL in wins 3 of the last 5 seasons and finished 2nd in the AL in wins one of the other two seasons. If those weren’t winning teams that gave you reason for optimism you are likely never going to have a reason for optimism in your life, jack.

How much they should be willing to sign Cano for is a complicated issue without an easy answer, but your perspective on this is totally out of whack. The story has been consistently winning the most games in the AL besides for one season. If the ending is the same next year, that’s great. Signing superstar players to huge deals is a big part of the reason why the Yankees have been the best team in baseball for two decades now.

• qwerty says:

The yankees can probably sign Bartolo Colon, Jhonny Peralta, Omar Infante, and Dioner Navarro for 25 million dollars. Are you telling me you’d rather keep Cano over all those players? Sorry, but there are better ways to spend 25 million dollars.

• Havok9120 says:

Those players might (MIGHT) sign for that amount of money. I doubt it, but they might.

They would not all sign with the Yankees for that sum. There are 29 other teams, many with a lot of holes and a ton of money. If your best Cano alternative has that many moving parts (and, yes, question marks), then the plan has a problem.

• Mike HC says:

I would rather keep Cano than sign that rag tag crew of guys. But the real question is would you rather lock in 7-8 years of 25 million of Cano, vs those four guys for only maybe 2-3 years … and I still pick Cano.

• OhioYanks says:

Those four have combined for 20.4 fWAR over the past two seasons. Cano has had 13.7. Not a perfect predictor of future performance, but the guys you mention aren’t spring chickens entering their primes either.

You’re talking 4 roster spots. If the Yankees went with Cano + 3 cheap 1 fWAR options (guys like Phelps and Cervelli) they would have gotten 20.7 fWAR the past two seasons. It’s not at all clear your way of spending the money is any better than just sticking with Cano.

Navarro in particular had a combined -1 fWAR the four seasons before 2013. Maybe he got healthy or really improved, but I would not count on him repeating 2013 at all. In all likelihood he is worse than Cervelli and Stewart.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yes, I would rather re-sign Cano than all those guys. 100 times out of 100.

• OhioYanks says:

Cano has been worth 13.7 fWAR the past two seasons. McCann and Garza have combined for 7.7 fWAR the past two seasons. That’s not a perfect predictor of what will happen going forward, but Cano looks like a much better value based on historical performance.

• qwerty says:

At least for the next 2 or 3 years, but what happens after that when Cano either starts breaking down or becoming ineffective like most players at that age? Second baseman in particular.

• OhioYanks says:

You are, again, mistaking your opinion for fact.

You can have the opinion that he will break down in 3 years. It would be nice if you supported it with some evidence, but you are entitled to it. You can’t decide it is going to happen, though.

I would say that what happens is possibly that they move him to 3B. The 2B thing is exacerbated because there are a lack of good 2B in the first place and most good ones are speed-contact-defense guys. Few have had Cano’s power. If he avoids being slid into, he should be able to move over to 3B and hold his own just fine. I would agree that the offense is likely to slip going forward, but the question is how much? With long-term contracts you are generally expecting to underpay up front and overpay at the back end. You need to produce some young cost controlled talent to complement the old, overpaid guys. The elite guys are also paid so much because they offer a lot of stability year-to-year and will still be good even if they take a step or two backwards as long as they don’t fall of a cliff. They certainly might fall off a cliff, but I would argue that you can’t just avoid making any commitments out of fear that things might go horribly wrong.

I wouldn’t pay Cano 10/$300 mill, but I think he’ll be in the 8/$200 mill range and the Yankees should probably re-sign him for that.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

This.

I understand not liking what the back-end of some contracts looks like but, 1) there was far less complaining on the front end of some of these deals, 2) we’re going way too far on the other end with the big contract talk. Keeping an elite player involves paying for the “victory lap” years. You are not going to see a moment in time where the New York Yankees shy away from keeping their home-grown elite players.

There is a place for big contracts in baseball. You shouldn’t have 80,000 of them at the same time (hey, remember when people wanted the Yankees to give Prince Fielder a ten-year deal on here to DH, when we already had Tex?), but there’s a place for them.

• Mike HC says:

We need McCann, Garza and Cano. And Tanaka. And a power hitting outfielder for that matter as well. If this off season becomes an either/or type scenario when it comes to filling our ridiculous amount of holes, then next year will be more of the same as last year.

• OhioYanks says:

They do have a few holes to fill, as is usually the case when several of your best players hit free agency. (They also have quite a bit of money to spend to fill those holes even under $189 million.)

However, I disagree both that they have a “ridiculous amount” of holes and that they’re likely to repeat last season. Last season they had incredibly bad luck. Over half their lineup missed most or all of the season. They still won 85 games. If over half their lineup misses most or all of the season again, yes they will be hard pressed to win 90 games and make the playoffs. Just re-signing Cano alone would give them a better lineup on paper than what they actually had last season, though, with Jeter, Tex, and Soriano expected to give them 5 above average offensive players compared to the 2 they played with for most of last season. Cervelli is also a significant upgrade offensively over Stewart and decent hitting C, granted Stewart’s defense might wash away a lot of that advantage.

Furthermore, I don’t think that they need to look at the very top of the market to fill their holes. McCann and Garza are both likely to be way overpaid (as evidenced by producing 1/2 Cano’s individual fWAR the past two seasons yet being likely to combine to get as many total dollars). They can fill holes without paying $15+ million per season. I know people want to ignore what the Red Sox did last season because of the good luck they benefited from during the season, but that’s a big part of the lesson that should be learned.

• qwerty says:

Actually they do have a “ridiculous” amount of holes to fill. As of right now their entire rotation is a huge question mark. CC may very well be useless going into next season, and Ivan Nova is by far and away the last person you want to rely on to be your ace. This team is in shambles.

• OhioYanks says:

Again, I disagree. You are entitled to your opinion. I’m not sure if you grasp the difference between opinion and fact, though.

Those two rotation spots are not holes, in my opinion. They aren’t necessarily locked down by stud, ace, Cy Young Ps, but there’s no team that would go into this season with two guys of that caliber and consider those rotation spots holes.

They need two starters, two-to-three bats, and one or two RPs to be very legitimate playoff contenders. That, to me, is not a ridiculous number of holes. It’s a busy off-season, definitely, but when 3 of your best players hit FA and 2 others retire it’s going to be a busy off-season.

• Mike HC says:

3/5′s of the starting rotation. Our closer/high leverage reliever. Catcher, 2nd base, 3rd base, RF and DH.

I would classify needing to fill over half our starting rotation, replacing Mo, and over half our lineup, “ridiculous.”

• OhioYanks says:

I think you are exaggerating. I agree that it’s going to be a busy off-season, but disagree that they have a ridiculous number of holes. I disagree because I think you are creating more holes than actually exist. It would be nice to have a sure thing, $20 mill guy at every position like the 2000′s Yankees, but like most other teams sometimes you make your bets and just have to hope they work out. You might prefer someone else over some of their guys, but that doesn’t mean they will replace them.

2/5 of the rotation at most, one of which might be a re-signing. They have a ton of candidates outside of CC and Nova, at least one of which should claim a spot: Pineda, Phelps, Warren, Nuno, Banuelos, Ramirez, etc. Depending on their view of Pineda’s health and recovery, they may actually only need 1 SP, since I think Phelps had shown plenty to go into a season as your 5th SP. There’s also good depth at AAA if injuries or poor performance crop up.

Needing RPs is not something I would mention in the same sentence as “ridiculous holes.” Ever. They already have one of the better RPs in baseball in Robertson. They could use another veteran, but they could also convert a SP like Jose Ramirez to the pen (seeing as he hasn’t been able to crack 115 IP in a season but has nasty stuff) and be just fine.

I would imagine 80+% of respondents in any poll assume Cano is a Yankee next season. It’s a hole technically, but one with an obvious plug.
            Cervelli is a solid C (wRC+ around 90, which is as good as some of the FAs fans are lusting after as replacements) and they have good depth there. If they see McCann as a good value, great. I don’t think C is a real need, though. (And don’t personally think McCann will end up being a good value once his price gets bid up… but I have no idea really.)
            They could use 2-3 bats. Their line-up could easily be better than last season as is, though. RF and DH are, along with 1B, the easiest places to find bats, so I don’t see a “ridiculous hole” there. We don’t know how big a hole 3B actually is.

• Mike HC says:

We agree more than we disagree here. We are having the classic blog comment fight over how to define a word, in this case “ridiculous.” I think we all agree that the team has a lot of money to spend and a lot of different ways they can go about doing it … and none of us exactly agree on the best way to go about spending that money :)

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Not getting into the “ridiculous” argument, but a lot of those needs are met by simply re-signing incumbents. I’m also not convinced every need HAS to be filled. I’m not bought at catcher unless it’s a massive upgrade, such as the one McCann would bring.

It is what it is, to me.

• Mike HC says:

I’m not getting into how those needs are going to be met (internally, incumbents, high priced free agents, scrap heaps etc …), just that there are openings for all of those roster spots due to last years starters hitting free agency or producing so poorly.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Would you agree with my retort, though? Just wondering.

• Mike HC says:

Regarding catcher I’m completely with you. Give me McCann (who I badly want) or let the Cervelli, Romine, Murphy triumvirate play and see if we actually have a real catcher here. I hope Granderson, Cano and Kuroda return as well, but have my doubts on Kuroda wanting to come back.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I have doubts too, but I also had them last year and he came back. Other than “he’s a year older,” there’s really nothing tangibly different for me with him right now.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m willing to buy the Garza argument if Kuroda doesn’t return. A LOT can go wrong in a rotation led by CC, Tanaka, and Nova, and that’s already writing the biggest wildcard of all as far as signability goes into the rotation.

Kuroda, Tanaka, AND Gaza, though? I think we need to create a lane somewhere for Pineda and/or Banuelos to enter the picture, and having CC/Tanaka/Garza locked in to long-term deals PLUS hoping Nova finally has levelled out doesn’t do enough of that for me.

• Mike HC says:

I only mentioned Garza in relation to the OP who wanted to sign McCann and Garza rather than Cano.

In regards to pitching, I believe that you can never have too much pitching. A rotation of CC, Tanaka, Nova, Phelps, Pineda, Banuelos, Marshall and a scrap heap guy is pretty weak in my opinion. There is no rule we have to spend all of our money this off season if the right players aren’t available though. I’m torn on Garza myself, and kind of ignorantly really want Tanaka.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I wouldn’t feel comfortable with that either. However, let’s say this played itself out:

CC
            Kuroda
            Tanaka
            Nova
            Feldman

Banuelos/Pineda as 6/7

There’s other variants on that, but you still need to have two very solid options behind CC if this plays out well. If Tanaka is one of them, you had better be replacing Pettitte’s innings well, then.

• Mike HC says:

Kuroda and Tanaka would be perfect. Don’t even need Feldman. Phelps and company could handle the rest of the starting innings on the cheap.

• Commenter from the Future says:

My fantasy scenario shipped Phelps and Nunez to SF for Sandoval, so Phelps wouldn’t be here. :)

Feldman’s purely veteran insurance until someone can knock him off. I don’t really need him there, though.

15. Pat D says:

I’d just like to say this thread honestly makes me question if the Yankees truly have the best, smartest fanbase in the game.