Nov

What Went Wrong: Chris Stewart

The 2013 season is over and now it’s time to review all aspects of the year that was, continuing today with yet another player who was exposed by far too much playing time.

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

Before every season, usually sometime in Spring Training, MLB’s people get together and start piecing together the All-Star ballot. The ballots are released in late-April for fan voting and it takes a few weeks to actually print these things and get them in every ballpark, so they have to prep before the season. As part of that preparation, they confer with every team about their positions and All-Star candidates. Some are obvious, like Robinson Cano at second base for the Yankees. Others aren’t so clear.

The Yankees listed Chris Stewart as their catcher on this year’s All-Star ballot.

Not Frankie Cervelli, who eventually took over as the starting catcher late in camp and early in the season, but Stewart. The guy who we heard was in line to be the starter all winter after Russell Martin bolted for the Pirates because dammit, his defense was that good. He couldn’t hit, but he’ll help the team by throwing out runners and framing the hell out of some borderline pitches. The Yankees were planning to play him so much that they dubbed him worthy of the All-Star ballot.

On April 26th, after a foul tip broke Cervelli’s hand, Stewart became the starter. It was clear Joe Girardi had little faith in Austin Romine, and, frankly, Romine didn’t exactly force the issue either. Stewart was the starter almost by default. He actually wrapped up April with a perfectly fine .294/.333/.382 (97 wRC+) batting line, production any of us would have happily taken over the full season. I would have signed up for that in a heartbeat.

Instead, Stewart predictably crashed. He fell into a 3-for-22 (.192) slump in early-May and hit .240/.286/.360 (73 wRC+) for the month overall. June was more of the same, with an ugly 7-for-37 (.189) stretch and an overall .255/.354/.291 (84 wRC+) line. Romine stole a few starts in early-July and Stewart went into the All-Star break hitting .241/.316/.306 (73 wRC+) with three homers in 170 plate appearances. He had started 54 of the team’s 95 games up to that point, more starts than he had in any other full season of his career.

As expected, Stewart completely collapsed in the second half. You can’t expect a career backup, even a reasonably young one like Stewart (he turns 32 in February), to suddenly play every single day without wearing down. He went 7-for-49 (.143) in his first 18 games after the All-Star break, dragging his overall season batting line down to .219/.296/.279. This is where I remind you he came into this past season a career .217/.281/.302 hitter. Stewart was played exactly as any reasonable person would have expected.

The second half slide continued all the way through the end of the season, and things got so bad at one point that on September 13th against the Orioles, Stewart struck out on two strikes:

If that’s not rock bottom, I don’t want to know what is. On the other hand, Stewart did make what might have been the Yankees’ best defensive play of the year. I don’t remember any better off the top of my head.

Stewart hit an unfathomably bad .169/.262/.226 (37 wRC+) in 124 plate appearances in the second half as Romine and J.R. Murphy saw more playing time behind the plate not necessarily because they earned it, but because Stewart played himself out of the lineup. That dragged his overall season batting line down to .211/.293/.272 (58 wRC+) in 340 plate appearances. Two-hundreds across the slash line board. Among the 32 catchers to bat at least 300 times this year, Stewart ranked 31st in wRC+. J.P. Arencibia (57 wRC+) should be ashamed of himself.

So yeah, Stewart was an unmitigated disaster on offense. I don’t think anyone seriously expected otherwise. But what about defensively? Well, Stewart was second in baseball with 12 passed balls — Arencibia had 13 and he had to catch knuckleballer R.A. Dickey — despite ranking 17th in innings caught. He did throw out 17 of 54 attempted base-stealers, a 31% success rate that was quite a bit better than the 26% league average. Pitch framing data is hard to come by, but a late-September update at Baseball Prospectus said Stewart was one of the ten best pitch-framers in the game (but not one of the top five) without giving us a runs saved value. An early-September update at ESPN had him at 17 runs saved. Overall catcher defense is damn near impossible to quantify even these days, but Stewart was obviously very good at framing pitches and a bit above-average at throwing out base-runners, but he didn’t do a good job blocking balls in the dirt.

If it wasn’t for the pitch-framing, Stewart would have been below replacement level this season, even for a catcher. An above-average but not truly excellent throw-out rate isn’t enough to make up for the passed ball issues and overall awful offense, both at the plate and on the bases. Framing pitches is his only redeeming quality and he’s lucky he’s so good at it, otherwise he probably would have been out of league by now. Similar to Jayson Nix, Stewart is a backup player who is best used once or twice a week but was forced in regular duty this past season. It’s not his fault he can’t hit or got worn down in the second half, it’s the team’s fault for putting him in that position in the first place.

Categories : Players

1. TWTR says:

Watching Stewie play so often was almost painful.

2. Chris says:

2 strikes or 3 strikes, what’s the difference. He’s still going to strike out. You know what they say, if you can’t succeed at something, just give up.

3. mitch says:

“What went wrong – Chris Stewart” is a nice 5 word phrase to summarize the 2013 season.

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m guessing we should change out of the good clothes before diving in here.

“From Solid AAA Hand to Crouching at the Same Home Plate Yogi Once Did, and Doing Only Marginally Better than Yogi Would in 2013: The Chris Stewart Story.”

5. Frank says:

He gets a pass in my book. Career part-time player thrown into a full time role playing a very difficult position. He did OK all things considered.

• I'm One says:

He did OK for Chris Stewart. He did not do OK for a starting MLB catcher.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

How would Kristin Stewart have done, other than “insufferably?”

• Fin says:

Yea, this is what went wrong with the Yankees decision making, than the player himself. I have no issues with Stew as a BUC. I have issues with him being considered a starting caliber player by the Yankees.

• Mandy Stankiewicz says:

Agreed, and the theme of many of these posts. They can be summed up as, 2013: What went wrong; part time players in full-time roles.

6. Pee Wee Herman Ruth says:

I can’t stand the sight of him…just being honest.

• I'm One says:

As long as he’s not starting 2 or more games/week for the Yankees, he looks fine to me. In very small doses, I’m OK with him. I’d also lose no sleep if he weren’t with the Yankees in 2014 and beyond.

• jjyank says:

Oh yes. I’m absolutely fine with Stewart being the BUC. My issue is/was that he was getting the starts over Romine, who might have been better.

7. HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

That lead-in was great, haha.

8. Ed says:

So how does the striking out on 2 strikes thing work? I can’t get the video to play.

9. jjyank says:

I’ve said this before, but honestly, my biggest beef with Girardi in 2013 was Chris Stewart’s playing time. No, Romine certainly didn’t force the issue and take advantage of the opportunities he had. But still. We know what Stewart is, and he’s not a starter. Romine might not be either, but 2013 would have been a good time to find out. Instead, we still don’t know what Romine’s future is with regards to the Yankee future.

• Havok9120 says:

Agree completely.

• TWTR says:

Something strange happened after Romine’s initial start catching Pettitte v. Houston on 4/29. He seemed to receive the blame for Pettitte giving up 7 ER in 4.1 IP.

I use the word strange because Waldman and Sterling, who don’t make a habit of criticizing the Yankee, made a point of saying (more than once) that they didn’t understand why Romine was thought to be at fault.

Since it wasn’t the fans who make out the lineup card, it didn’t take much of a leap of logic to surmise that they were referring to a Yankee decision-maker.

• Mac says:

With all due respect to them, Waldman and Sterling are basically paid fans. They may have some off-the-record conversations, but they may not. I doubt Girardi takes the time to break down exactly what Romine is not doing well with them. Maybe he does.

I would also point out that Pettitte has thrown to a lot of Cs and had a lot of success over his career. Maybe that performance actually had nothing to do with Romine’s playing time. Maybe Pettitte was just using Romine as an excuse and cost the guy playing time. But maybe Pettitte knows a thing or two about how a C should be calling a game, framing Ps, leading the defense, etc.

• TWTR says:

But whatever happened, it was one game, his first start of the season.

Making any sweeping judgement (positive or negative) based on such a minute sample is almost certainly a fool’s errand.

• Havok9120 says:

His point is we don’t have much evidence that that’s what the team did.

• TWTR says:

We know he didn’t play much after that, and that Stewart played way too much. That is curious under the circumstances.

• Havok9120 says:

I agree, I’m just playing devil’s advocate for him because, in the end, he’s absolutely correct that we don’t have anywhere near as complete a picture of the player’s involved as the organization does.

• Mac says:

I don’t think you really understood what I was saying.

The logic you’re using in this latest comment is flawed. The point is that you don’t know how much Romine would have played if Pettitte went out and threw a gem in Romine’s first game. You’re ascribing causation when all you have is correlation. You also don’t know if Stewart played way too much unless you know how well Romine would have played in his place. It’s really hard to say.

• WhittakerWalt says:

It seems like Romine was in the doghouse for two months based off that one start, which is ridiculous. Pettitte had a great year pitching to Jim Leyritz, of all people. Leyritz was a terrible catcher.

• Mac says:

Us fans don’t know what the Yankees have in Romine, but in seeing him practice every day for most of the season, having tons of data points from his MiLB career, and having gotten 60 Gs/148 PAs to judge him the Yankees might have a decent idea. Obviously their idea might be wrong (especially for a guy with back problems). They probably both have more data than us and the ability to break the data down into more actionable information.

• jjyank says:

“Basically, it’s human nature but I think fans often mistakenly feel that teams are making decisions based on the same data we are. Often they have a lot more info than we do. That’s not to say they will always make better decisions with that extra data than we would with what we have, but in the case of a guy without much MLB experience they often do just because our info is so limited.”

I did disagree with the Romine situation, but you do make a good point here. It’s something that we as fans forget too easily.

10. pat says:

Food for thought:

Chris Stewart 2013 bWAR: .2
    Matt Wieters 2013 bWAR: .4

• jjyank says:

Not much food there, really. It’s one stat.

Stewart fWAR: 0.5
      Wieters fWAR: 2.4

Stewart wRC+: 58
      Wieters wRC+: 86

A bad year for Wieters, given what he was supposed to be, but let’s not have this conversation.

11. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I’m sort of surprised that Bobby Wilson never got called up to NY from SWB. He couldn’t have been much worse than Stewie.

12. Reggie C. says:

He looks like Tino.

#championshipsfromanothertime

13. LarryM Fl says:

Yes Chris Stewart was painful to watch. But I never felt he did not give it his all. The most glaring aspect of his game that hurt was the offense, IMHo. His swing at times was so over matched and he did not drive the ball or could not drive the ball. All arms and no legs displayed by a major league player.

My frustration continued as Girardi would not play Romine because of a lack of chemistry with some of the pitchers. Much valuable time was lost for Romine behind the plate. Oh well, 2014 should be a better year behind the plate. There is no way that I envision a repeat of the NY Yankee catching core.

I pray!

14. Dick M says:

My thoughts on Stewie (and Girardi’s handling of the catching position):

He’s not bad for a back-up

Why we retarded Romine’s development for him is mind-boggling

Girardi feels that catching is too important a position to entrust to a rookie

• Mac says:

I think it’s more likely that Girardi just felt that Stewart had a better chance of help the team than Romine, and not that he wanted the team to be worse because he has some rule about rookie Cs.

• Havok9120 says:

That rationale falls apart around the end of July. He was trending downward and quite clearly worn out while contributing virtually nothing (and decreasing) on offense. There was no objective reason to play him so much over Romine (and then Murphy) at that point. I think he had a reason, I just don’t think it was all that defensible a reason because, if it had been, he would have defended it with something more substantive than he did.

• Mac says:

I should correct my first comment, as Cashman has let it be known that he makes decisions on players’ roles on the team and general playing time allocation. Since it’s a C maybe Girardi (and maybe Pena) had more of a say, but really we should probably be discussing Cashman here. I totally forgot about that before.

There is no reason to play any player over any other player on a playoff contender besides thinking that they give the team a better chance to win. (Maybe in some situations you could build trade value or sacrifice the short-term to develop a player, but this doesn’t seem like one of those situations.) If you’re saying that any objective person would think those guys were better options, I don’t see how else to take that except you calling them total morons (or maybe saboteurs). Is that how I should take it, or am I missing some other explanation?

I don’t think your statements that he was “clearly worn out” or implication that because he hadn’t been contributing much he wouldn’t going forward are at all objective. I think they’re the definition of subjective and based on a false premise that streaks are linear.

I’m not trying to argue against you here particularly, just trying to hold a mirror up to show you how many questionable assumptions underly your firm take on this. Both young guys looked very overmatched and played pretty poorly, so I don’t see how you can be so sure they would have been any better than Stewart (I think you can only be so sure if you make a lot of questionable assumptions). But at the same time I’m not sitting here and saying that they would have necessarily been worse. I really don’t know.

• Havok9120 says:

Why were we to assume that a downward trend toward and below his career average would change while playing more games than he ever had in his career at the game’s most demanding position?

The other way to take it is that they were tied to the more experienced player for reasons not supported by logic or statistical data. They stuck to the vet over using the rookie because they were more comfortable with him rather than giving the untried youngster a chance, this while knowing that his offensive performance (already unacceptable by most standards) was very unlikely to improve in the last two months of the season.

I’m not saying that they didn’t think Stewart was the better option. I’m saying their reasoning was flawed and based far too much on him having more experience than the alternatives.

• Mac says:

Again, I disagree that streaks are a linear trend. Slumps and hot streaks happen throughout a season. That a guy has been cold for a while doesn’t mean he’s going to stay cold all season. In fact, while he fell into the abyss completely in July he then pulled himself out in August to merely very bad and then to about his career production in September. So this narrative that he got worse as he played more is just factually incorrect. I have no idea where it came from, but I wish people would stop repeating it. This contention that the more he played the worse he got is directly contradicted by the facts. From mid-season on, the more he played the better he got offensively.

I generally disagree with this notion that a part time player will become tired playing more games. Or somehow he becomes “exposed.” Stewart played to his career production offensively, literally almost exactly.

I’m honestly not too interested in your speculation on their reasoning unless you’re actually spoken to them about it.

I believe that Cashman and Girardi are rational guys with good baseball minds and a strong stats department behind them from all the evidence I have, so I’m not going to assume they are morons. Between Stewart’s defensive value and Romine’s offensive struggles, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they had some logic behind their decision.

• Dick M says:

Stop blowing smoke here. Stewie hit .169 after the All Star break.

This is a message board. People are going to have opinions without having spoken with Girardi or Cashman. It doesn’t mean we think they are morons or that they didn’t think it would help the team.

• Mac says:

The question is not about what Stewart hit in totality after the All-Star break in hindsight. It’s what information Cashman and Girardi had to work with at the time they made their decisions.

Yes, you’d think I’d know that as I also have my opinion without speaking to them…
                  I’m not asking you to speak to Brian Cashman, I’m asking you to think through the logic and assumptions that underlie your opinions a little. (You know… like don’t use batting average to describe overall offensive performance.)

15. Havok9120 says:

Chris, Chris, Chris….

How I came to loathe seeing your name in the lineup.

Cervelli/Romine 2014! (or McCann. Or anyone. I refuse to believe we’ll pay Stewart the amount he’s owed next season).

• Mac says:

I don’t know if he’s in their plans or not, but Stewart is likely going to be owed all of $1 million. He’s a pretty solid backup and the difference between him and, say, Romine is like 0.25% of the payroll.

• Havok9120 says:

I want you to find me a reason to pay him more than double what Romine, Murphy, or Wilson would make in the BUC role. And if you think he should be starting over Cervelli, give me a reason for that.

His place on the team can be filled by others for less money and with a pretty good chance at better performance. You don’t pay a guy that much more than his replacement without a good reason for it, especially not when you’re cutting payroll.

• Mac says:

I didn’t say he should start. I didn’t say he should be kept.

While it’s a 100% increase, it’s a tiny fraction of the payroll. I would argue relative terms distorts the question. The question is: is it worth $500k to keep Stewart on the roster over Romine/Murphy/whoever? He doesn’t have to be twice as valuable to be worth 2x as much in this case. Making up these numbers completely, but assume we agree that with P framing Stewart is worth 1 fWAR as a backup and an fWAR is worth $5 mm to the Yankees (again placeholder numbers). We would then agree that if Romine is projected for anything less than 0.9, Stewart is our guy. Stewart could be, in this illustrative scenario, 11% more valuable than Romine and worth twice as much.

This goes both ways. Give me a reason that Romine or Murphy should be in MLB next season.
          -With Murphy I really don’t see much reason for him to start in MLB unless he really impresses in ST (but I also haven’t been watching him every day in the minors). He only has half a season in AAA and really embarrassed himself in a short cameo in MLB. Long-term that doesn’t bother me, but with the information I have access to I don’t see much reason to believe he’s above replacement early in the season. Let him develop a little further and earn it IMO.
          -Romine is more complicated to me. I have no idea if he’s better or worse than Chris Stewart, as I’ve said probably a half dozen times in this thread. He’s probably about as ready to be on the roster opening day as he’ll be, though, so I don’t have the concerns I do with Murphy.

I do know that Romine could be worse than Stewart. Of the 53 Cs who got at least 150 PAs in 2013, roughly 40% had lower fWAR than Stewart. I’m not trying to peg exactly where he falls in the league with that, just that this notion that “it can’t possibly be worse” is false. If we assume WAR is fairly accurate and Romine has a 2014 like former solid prospect Rob Brantly’s 2013, for example, the Yankees might be losing a win over $500,000. Again, I don’t know if Romine is worse than Brantly or better than Stewart. I’m hoping it’s the latter and the Yankees know it, but I just don’t know.

16. Mac says:

I’m not so sure about this popular sentiment that Romine was hurt by not playing. Playing above your head can reinforce bad habits and it wasn’t like he was just sitting on the bench all week by himself (you have to hope that they were working with him on a daily basis). Yes learning by doing can be great, but I disagree with this concept that its fail proof and the only way to develop a player. Jorge Posada played about once a week his first season, as one recent Yankee example. Who knows, but it’s hard to imagine that retarded his development.

• Havok9120 says:

It comes from the fact that, due to injury, he hadn’t had all that much time in the minors playing at 100%. The guy hasn’t come close to a full season’s worth of ABs since 2010. He needed to be playing every day somewhere if he’s part of the future plan and a lot of people feel (myself included) that Stewart’s performance, especially down the stretch, meant that that could have been done in the MLB while Murphy did the same in Scranton.

This is especially true since I don’t think anyone was calling for him to take over completely and cut Stewart. A lot of people just wanted him getting more time.

• Mac says:

Again, I disagree that he had to be playing somewhere. I wouldn’t have had a problem with him getting more playing time, but I also don’t know that he would have been any better than Stewart.

I don’t see the need to draw such clear lines on a lot of issues. In 2011 he got 400 Pas, which is probably 80% of a MiLB C’s workload. How much was that extra 100 PAs going to help his long-term development? How much does sitting in the dugout, on the plane, studying video with, etc. Joe Girardi, Tony Pena, Chris Stewart (who Russell Martin says taught him a lot about catching), Pettitte, Mo, CC, etc., and getting one game a week against real MLB Ps help you compared to playing every day in AAA? How much does it help the team long-term to have him over the next best BUC for 2013 vs. having him in AAA C every day? I have no idea, but my point is that I’m not sure you do either.

People are making assumptions about playing time that I’m not sure there’s much evidence behind. It’s similar to the SP/RP thing, IMO. You can’t use a SP in the pen… until the Ranger, Cardinals, and Rays and every other team people idolize do it.

17. Tom says:

The framing #’s that various sites are throwing out (statcorner, baseball prospectus, ESPN, etc) pretty much assume 100% of the credit on a marginal ball/strike is due to the catcher.

Anyone watching a game knows there is more to it than the catcher.

Detailed studies have shown how pitch count, type of pitch, location of the pitch, and umpire have a significant impact on whether a marginal pitch is called a ball or strike (regardless of catcher). I’m not aware of ANY of the framing models to control for these variables (some may now be starting to control for umpire?) and that is why most folks think these models are overstating the impact of the catcher. It’s a skill, but perhaps just not as much as these crude models are spitting out.

If you look at individual catchers year to year, the marginal calls/game swings pretty wildy year to year. Jose Molina #’s would swing by 1-2 calls/game year to year… while this sounds like a small amount this would equate to a 1.5-3 WAR shift for a typical starting catcher season. That is an absurd amount of noise and shows how accurate these models are.

They are good for a crude very good/good/average/bad/terrible type but trying to tie to runs saved (and then connect that to WAR) at this stage is not a good idea.

So the question is not whether Stewart is a good pitch framer (he is), it’s just how valuable is it really?

• Mac says:

No one is arguing that it is a perfect stat or fully developed even. That’s why people aren’t often tying WAR to it. But I could sit here are raise similar objections to those you raise against P framing to discredit WAR for hitters or Ps.

I’m not sure why you’re using WAR as a perfectly exact measure anyway. I’m not sure you can use it to separate players into that many more than 5 buckets (which you say that P framing can be used to do). Maybe a few more than 5, but I don’t think many people are using fractions of a point of WAR to decide one player is clearly better than another, especially if those players play different positions in different leagues etc.

As usual, some flawed assumptions.
      -Your assumption that a “skill” means consistent performance from season to season is just perplexing. Offensive stats swing WARs 1.5-3 WAR from year to year for a player all the time. Does that mean hitting is not a skill? Does that mean we shouldn’t use it to judge player value? I don’t have the #s in front of me, but for a period wasn’t Molina fairly consistently up towards the top in P framing?
      -There are a ton of exogenous factors with many other stats, too, that are used to calculate WAR for both hitters and Ps. The assumption that we make so that we can compare values and performance in some meaningful way is that over time this luck evens out. Take BABIP luck, for example, for a hitter. For a starting C it’s likely that catching 100 games with however many different umps and ~5 SPs + many RPs throwing different Ps to different locations against different hitters on different days in different stadiums…

My assumption is that you set out in this comment to criticize pitch framing, and you just came up with any possible argument to discredit the stat without taking any time to actually analyze both sides of the discussion.

• Tom says:

I didn’t say anyone was arguing it was perfect.

My point is people are starting to quote runs saved as if it has meaning (I think Mike A does a good job with the qualifications he usually gives on it). But there seems to be someone on this forum who likes to frequently say “the framing studies show Chris Stewart was a 2WAR catcher on framing alone at midsseason” as if that has any real meaning. When you can quote me an error bar on that #, then it might have some meaning. What is the error bar on that by the way?

Other than using it as measure of general skill, the models are pretty poor in terms of a yearly #.

The Molina example I gave was pretty much EVERY year and those swings were the typical ones, he also had one or two 4-6WAR swings year to year (normalized for playing time). This is not just the random variance of a player having a good year/bad year the #’s were going up and down like a yo-yo.

And things will even out… over many years. There are maybe 70-80 pitches in a game that are taken? Maybe 20-30 that aren’t obviously balls and strikes? Now was that a 2-0 fastball to Joe West on the outside corner? An 0-1 curve at the bottom of the zone to Angel Hernandez.

The problem is one extra strike call a game comes out as ~1.5 WAR (for a typical starting catcher playing time); you think the framing models are close to resolving one or two extra called strikes or balls per game and assigning it to the catcher.

So obviously they attempt to do this with a larger sample…the question is how large?

100 games caught is ~7000 balls received. Cut that down to maybe 2000-3000 non-obvious calls? Seems like a decent sample size until you start splitting that out by ~75umpires x 20locations (I have no idea how fine they bucket out the pitch zones it could be a lot more) x 6 counts x 6 pitches (most frequent) and suddenly you have at least 54000 unique among those 2000-3000 pitches. I don’t think it evens out as fast as you think it does.

• Mac says:

Can you quote me an “error bar” on any stat on fangraphs?

Suddenly Molina’s swings went from 1.5-3 WAR to 4-6 WAR? Do you have any sources you care to share or just want to keep throwing out random numbers?

The rest of your comment is too incomprehensible to really comment on.

• Mac says:

And, by the way, my point in using the 2 WAR pitch framing number is not to say he was worth 2 WAR (I think I qualify that every single time I use it by at least saying it’s a number I don’t even remember from a point in the season I don’t even remember). It’s to say that he is in fact a very good defensive C who is not as bad as most people on here think.

18. Dave says:

I thought Stewart looked absolutely exhausted from mid season on. I would be curious to see when those passed balls occurred. I’ll bet that most of them came in the second half when he was gassed. Nevertheless, he will make a good back up for someone else.

19. Dave says:

Also, no baseball instincts. Watched one ball roll by him while he covered home, maybe he thought Jeter would come off the bench and toss it to him. And what about catching the ball with two hands, and then reaching out to tag a runner with an empty glove. Just to name two. How can you NYers pay to go to a game with CS as the starting catcher?

20. Cool Lester Smooth says:

But…but…pitch framing!

21. csonk says:

Can we just be done with the whole Chris Stewart thing?
    I think Girardi is infatuated with the guy because he is, well, Joe Girardi all over gain. Actually Girardi could hit (a little bit) but I just think Joe sees a lot of himself there and Joe goes with what Joe knows.

22. Kevin says:

The best defensive play of the year was the triple play against the Orioles. Just dropped in to say that.