Dec

Bullpen exodus: Joba to Tigers, Logan to Rockies

The Yankees have lost two relievers to free agency over the last 24 hours or so. First, Buster Olney reported Joba Chamberlain has agreed to a one-year contract worth $2.5M with the Tigers. He’ll join their revamped setup crew. Joba was awful in 2013 (4.93 ERA and 5.64 FIP in 42 innings) and finished his Yankees career with a 3.85 ERA (3.83 FIP) in 444.2 innings. There were no indications the team was interested in a reunion, understandably.

Next, Jon Heyman reported Boone Logan has agreed to a three-year, $16.5M deal with the Rockies. Nice payday for him. Logan had a 3.23 ERA (3.82 FIP) in 39 innings this past and Clayton Kershaw was the only left-handed pitcher in baseball with a higher strikeout rate against left-handed batters. He finishes his Yankees career with a 3.38 ERA (3.63 FIP) in parts of four seasons. Boone caught a lot of undeserved crap over the years (I’m certainly guilty) but chances are the team will miss him next season (they did talk about re-signing him). Pretty crazy that he ended up being the best player to come out of that trade.

Between these two guys plus Mariano Rivera, the Yankees have now lost three relievers who combined for a 3.22 ERA (3.97 FIP) in 145 innings this past season. The bullpen is pretty sketchy behind David Robertson right now. The team needs to work on that these next two months.

Categories : Asides

1. Tyrone Sharpton says:

I think you can argue Melky/Mike Dunn were better than Logan

2. Jag says:

Logan’s elbow worries me, so I’m not upset at this. I wish him the best though and thanks for his services these past few years.

3. John C says:

Bring in JP Howell and Jose Veras and move on

• Baked McBride says:

Veras may or may not be a better pitcher now, but why would we want to see the sequel when the first movie sucked?

4. GERALD WILLIAMS says:

YES!!! GOOD RIDDANCE TO THEM BOTH, especially Joba.

5. Grover says:

Cabral and Huff are looking like much better options to me right now.

6. CapitalT says:

Relievers seam overpaid than starters. 5x Logan’s innings would get ~ 200 Innings, a pretty respectable starter. 5x his salary gets gets 3 yrs at $82.5M total or $27.5M/year. That is #1 starter pay. Seams to me like relievers are getting a little overpaid.

7. Lukaszek says:

Logan got a lot of undeserved sh*t over the years. Solid reliever.

8. This is why I don’t believe that the Yankees will get under $189. They need at least 2 late inning bullpen arms to go with Robertson and Kelly add in the need for a SP and a 2B and 3B. Even with Arod getting suspended its going to be tough. I personally don’t care if they get under 189 but it seems like the plan is out the window. Good, more spending please Yankees!

9. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

3/15, but they barely see him as a LOOGY. Good times, this offseason.

Logan does get a ton of shit for being an absolute workhorse for this team. I would have been afraid of going long-term with him after the innings he’s thrown the past two seasons and barking elbow.

CHEAP BULLPENZ FTW.

Bring in a piece to solidify the Bridge to DRob and let the chips fall where they may.

10. RetroRob says:

Javy Vazquez driven out of NY. Melky Cabrera embarrassed. Mike Dunn still searching for the strike zone. Sitting on top of the hill, Boone Logan. Baseball is a funny game.

11. Cuso says:

Eric O’Flaherty please.

12. SMK says:

It’s pretty obvious the bullpen is where they’re looking to cut corners. There are still some viable arms out there, but apart from Benoit and possibly Balfour you don’t read about the Yanks being in on any of them.

Teams with shitty bullpens lose a lot of games, usually in gut-wrenching fashion. It’s just the nature of the beast.

• Kosmo says:

I read somewhere the D-backs had 29 blown saves in 2013. They lost 81 games.

• sas says:

Apparently you read different news because they have talked about a number of them. Right now the market is a little out of wack when a guy with a balky elbow can get a three year deal.

13. qwerty says:

I thought Joba wanted to be a starter. How is he supposed to do that from the Tiger’s bullpen?

14. Aims says:

David Adams just signed a major league deal with the indians

15. Dicka24 says:

I have no issues with going the cheap route in the pen. You can find relievers I think. I’m sure they will shoot for a reclamation project or two. Either a confidence loser like Chris Perez, or a rehabber like Ryan Madson. There are longer term rehab arms like Andrew Bailey and Rafael Bettancourt too. They just won’t be ready till mid season, if at all.

16. Baked McBride says:

I’m sure the stats say otherwise, but for me, no Logan > Logan

17. Fernando says:

I would like to see them go with the young guys in the pen or a reclamation project that comes cheaply. Logan was good, but the elbow surgery and the $$$ and length of the contract were not worth it.

They have lots of in-house options with Chase Whitley, Mark Montgomery, Dellin Betances, Cesar Cabral, David Huff, David Phelps, Adam Warren, Preston Claiborne, Matt Daley, David Herndon, Dan Burawa, Fred Lewis and Vidal Nuno.

18. FLYER7 says:

Add in a couple spring invitees to the in house options and perhaps we can save some dollars with FAs signings for maybe just one additional FA bullpen signing…

19. Jimmy says:

Who would’ve thought five years ago that Joba Chamberlain would sign elsewhere and not even get his own post here?

20. qwerty says:

If I’m Joba I’d sign with some NL team like SDP, MIL or even the Mets so I can be a starter. After one season of posting a sub 4.00 ERA he can probably name his price. Why settle for 2.5 million to stuck as a middle reliever and be unhappy?