Mar

Cardinals agree to four-year deal with Aledmys Diaz

According to multiple reports, the Cardinals have agreed to a four-year contract with Cuban infielder Aledmys Diaz. The deal is reportedly worth a little less than $20M. The Yankees had interest in Diaz and even had him in camp for a private workout a few weeks ago, but they ultimately decided not to make a contract offer. Oh well.

1. RetroRob says:

The Cards plan to turn him into a flame-throwing relief pitcher.

2. dkidd says:

uh oh

sure hope the yankee scouts turn out to be correct

3. Yankee$ (Formerly Pseudoyanks) says:

I don’t have a problem with the Yankees decision here…now that we know they aren’t being jerked around by a checkbook, at least it is likely this was, in their minds, a good baseball decision (which includes all parameters including the financial side of it.)

• vicki says:

you seriously buy that they aren’t being jerked around by a checkbook?

• Yankee$ (Formerly Pseudoyanks) says:

Yes, I seriously believe that. Having a budget is not the same thing as being jerked around by a checkbook. Compare last year to this year. Last year they were jerked around by a checkbook. This year they are using financial resources to fill the needs they have.

• Yankee$ (Formerly Pseudoyanks) says:

Well, you have to admit there are degrees there right? Big difference 2014 vs 2013, I believe. They still have a budget but I would call 2013 “jerked around by a checkbook.”

4. Dave M says:

If they Cards wanted him and the Yanks didn’t….well lets just say the Cards have a better track record in such areas.

5. TWTR says:

I can’t blame Hal for thinking he has spent enough. At some point, his GM has to actually develop talent on a regular basis on be held accountable.

6. zs190 says:

He just signed with a team that has starters on long contracts at 3B and SS with a consensus top 100 prospect in Wong at 2B plus a veteran guy signed for 5 million primarily to back up 2B and play a little at other infield spots. I guess he would go to the minors to start and maybe compete with Wong or play as utility infielder next year. Morosi wrote less than 20 million but I could see this possibly be significantly less than 20 million.

• qwerty says:

David Freese is hardly a lock to play third forever. He’s a free agent in 2016 and I can see the Cardinals moving him before that time if Diaz is the real deal. If Wong turns out to be a bust then Diaz may be a good option for them.

• forensic says:

David Freese was traded to the Angels almost four months ago.

They have Carpenter (who just signed a six-year extension) at 3B and Peralta (who signed a four-year contract) at SS, along with Wong at 2B.

• BigLoving says:

Freese was traded to the Angels. The Cards are moving Carpenter back to 3b, his natural position and they just locked him up in a 6 year extension.

• JGYank says:

Freese was traded to the Angels for Peter Bourjos.

• BFDeal says:

qwerty keeping his streak of wrong answers alive.

• qwerty says:

BFDeal keeping his streak of adding nothing to discussions, LOL.

• new guy says:

haha, eh you should just take your whoopin like a man. You got called out like three times. You’re not deflecting this one.

• Dropped Third says:

“LOL”

• qwerty says:

Just telling like it is. I suppose if you defend trolls then that simply makes you no better than one.

As for being “called out.” That is probably the single most childish thing I have yet to hear on here, lol. I thought freese was still a cardinal, and someone corrected me, and that was pretty much the end of it. If that means I was “called out” then I guess I was “called out,” then. LMAO. Maturity must not be your strong suite.

• Jorge Steinbrennee says:

Busting on qwerty is like the later-mentioned appletini mentioned below. Empty calories and nowhere near the buzz you expected.

• qwerty says:

Poor Jorge. Every time, you post on here you are always looking for me to pay attention to you. You’re are so needy man, it’s weird. Does it bother you that I don’t ever think about you while I’m constantly on your mind?

7. BigLoving says:

The Cards are one of the smarter front offices in baseball but they have me scratching my head a bit this offseason. Everything I read about Diaz has him pegged as an average MLB second basemen for his ceiling. I guess 5 mil a year for 4 years isn’t an awful contract for that type of player but they always seem to produce better players out of their system who would be cheaper. I wonder what the angle on Diaz is? This move and the Peralta signing definitely surprised me.

8. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Giant frogs! Giant frogs! What can I say? Cashman failed.

9. Giancarlo Murphy says:

Phelps, Mason Williams, and Meredith Marakovits for Jose Altuve and Julia Morales.

• vicki says:

you’re high. phelps and mason for altuve, sure (luhnow laughs in your face, though); but meredith is so much hotter than julia.

don’t be such a fucking joiner.

• forensic says:

phelps and mason for altuve, sure (luhnow laughs in your face, though);

Maybe I’m missing something on Altuve (or just too big a Phelps fan), but if I were the Astros I’d take that deal in a second and run. Altuve doesn’t seem to be good on either side of the ball and Phelps may be able to somewhat help their pitiful current pitching staff. They would also get a potentially useful player, even as 4th OFer/PRer, eventually in Williams.

• Giancarlo Murphy says:

Hahaha! I’m busted. I shouldn’t post after my 14th appletini.

• Jorge Steinbrennee says:

Admitting to vicki you drink appletinis is akin to just saying you have a micropenis. Really, folks. Know your audience. :)

• Jorge Steinbrennee says:

Not a diss on Meredith in the least, but Julia all day and night.

#teamjulia

• new guy says:

I’m with you. Anything to not have to look at or listen to Meredith anymore. And I thought I hated Kim…

10. Cashman Sucks says:

MONDAY: Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports (via Twitter) that Diaz’s deal was worth just $8MM — a significant departure from his initial goals.

11. I am Joe's Eye says:

MLB Trade Rumors reporting the deal is only. 4yrs 8mm total.
    So nobody really thinks he’s much more than a utility guy and a lotto ticket.