The Yankees are playing the Marlins in their second-to-last Spring Training game tonight, but the game will not be televised. Oh well. You’ll be up to your eyeballs in Yankees baseball starting next week, so enjoy the last few days before the start of the regular season. Here is tonight’s lineup card, if you’re interested. Here are the day’s notes from Tampa:
- In case you missed it earlier today, Joe Girardi announced that Dellin Betances and Vidal Nuno have won the final two bullpen spots. Al Aceves was signed to a minor league deal to help replace the minor league rotation depth.
- Jacoby Ellsbury (calf) went 2-for-5 in a minor league game today. He ran the bases and played center field, saying afterwards that everything went fine. Girardi said Ellsbury will play in tomorrow’s Grapefruit League finale. Brendan Ryan (back), meanwhile, will not be ready when his DL stint ends, Brian Cashman confirmed. [Jorge Castillo, Joel Sherman, Bryan Hoch]
- Michael Pineda threw a bullpen session today and will stay behind in Tampa to pitch in a minor league game on Sunday. He’ll join the team in Houston before making his first start next Saturday. Hiroki Kuroda and Masahiro Tanaka will both pitch tonight, their final tune-ups before the season. [Chad Jennings]
- Manny Banuelos will not open the season with Triple-A Scranton. He’ll instead be assigned to High-A Tampa because they can better monitor his return from Tommy John surgery there, plus the weather will be warmer. He’ll move up after a few weeks. Aceves, Chris Leroux, Shane Greene, Bruce Billings, and Brian Gordon will start the year in the Triple-A Scranton rotation. [Joel Sherman]
- Tyler Austin (wrist), Slade Heathcott (knee), Greg Bird (back), and Jose Campos will all be held back in Extended Spring Training to make up for the time they lost this spring. Campos isn’t hurt, he was just brought along slowly in camp and needs more work before starting the season. [Josh Norris]
Here is your open thread for the night. MLB Network will air the Mets and Blue Jays live (from Montreal!) tonight, plus the Knicks, Nets, and (hockey) Rangers are all playing. Talk about anything and everything right here.