Mar

Open Thread: 3/28 Camp Notes

The Yankees are playing the Marlins in their second-to-last Spring Training game tonight, but the game will not be televised. Oh well. You’ll be up to your eyeballs in Yankees baseball starting next week, so enjoy the last few days before the start of the regular season. Here is tonight’s lineup card, if you’re interested. Here are the day’s notes from Tampa:

Here is your open thread for the night. MLB Network will air the Mets and Blue Jays live (from Montreal!) tonight, plus the Knicks, Nets, and (hockey) Rangers are all playing. Talk about anything and everything right here.

1. forensic says:

For what it’s worth, Donnie Collins says Whitley, not Leroux, will likely be in the AAA rotation.

2. dkidd says:

ellsbury knee not calf?

3. forensic says:

Campos isn’t hurt, he was just brought along slowly in camp and needs more work before starting the season.

Moving slowly with Campos? Shocking. Maybe eventually they’ll really stretch him out and let him throw like 30 pitches in a game…

Good thing they gave him a 40-man spot. Sure seems likely he easily would’ve stuck on a 25-man roster all season.

• dkidd says:

not sure, but i think this may be sarcasm

• forensic says:

The second part is sarcasm, adding him was unnecessary and a waste of a spot with where he is at this point.

The first part is an exaggeration, but it’s based in reality. It actually seems like he’s the most babied pitcher in the history of the sport.

• Yankee$ says:

Maybe they were actually worried somebody would pick him and abuse the F out of him in ST and give him back resembling burnt toast.

4. Margaret says:

Everyone be happy rosters can change. Winter will soon be over Soon enough we will be watching real baseball. Enjoy spring is near. 2014. Yankees baseball

5. forensic says:

Guess Jedd Gyorko is preparing for his next career as a reporter. He apparently just broke the news that Anna made the roster (not that it’s surprising in the least).

6. Dalek Jeter says:

Lots of people dislike the idea of bringing Nuno, Warren, and Phelps north. I don’t mind it at all. Sure, it’d be nice to have a 6th, 7th, and 8th starter in Scranton, but I’m completely confident that guys like Gordon, Aceves, and Turley can handle starting 10 or so games this season. Also I think there is a lot of merit to the idea that Nuno is just up to act as a caddie for Tanaka and Pineda early in the season. I mean this is a guy who is used to a once a week schedule and a guy who has missed two years, and the team has 3 off days in all of April.

• Yankee$ says:

I hope Tanaka doesn’t need the caddie.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I hope not either, but I can totally see them taking it a little easy on him in his second and third starts as he’s getting used to the transition in meaningful games.

• forensic says:

Half of his first eight starts are already in line to be on extra rest. Once he’s fully stretched out after a couple games, I would hope they wouldn’t hold him back too much more than just the extra rest when possible. This would go for Pineda too, if they don’t think he can handle an actual starters workload (for the most part) then don’t put him in the MLB rotation right now.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Well I’m talking about literally his second and third time through the rotation, so I think we’re on the same page when it comes to “a couple of games.” Either way I like bringing our best arms north to win as many games as possible.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Even if Nuno is here for the long hall, bring your best pitchers to the bigs where they can help the team. Cross needing a sixth starter when you need one.

• forensic says:

I have confidence in them being able to walk out to the mound and make 10 starts.

I don’t have confidence in them pitching well enough to give the Yankees a good chance to win.

This actually begs the question though, where is Turley on these lists of likely AAA rotations? Seems like he should be ready to give that a shot after a full year at AA. Is it really more important to have Gordon, Billings, and Aceves there instead?

(I wonder if Donnie Collins actually meant Turley instead of Whitley since Whitley hasn’t typically been a starter, though it doesn’t explain Sherman’s rotation)

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Turley is dealing with some kind of arm injury, iirc, so maybe not available for the rotation yet?

Pretty sure the Whitley to the rotation thing has been reported previously, so that may well happen.

7. Wheels says:

So strange turning on the TV and seeing the Blue Jays as the home team, in Montreal. Good old Olympic Stadium

8. mustang says:

Opening Day please!

• forensic says:

Got my Tanaka jersey today and he went and struck out the side in his first inning tonight.

We’re all ready for the real games to start too (well, except for maybe a couple of the hitters).

9. forensic says:

Three shutout innings tonight for Kuroda. Hopefully that’s a good sign that his stuff is starting to come together right when it needs to be.

10. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Rockies keeping Kahnle, at least for the time being.

• forensic says:

He pitched really well for them this spring. Certainly seems worth the risk for them if they can clean up his control a little bit.

11. Grit for Brains says:

But who plays third?

12. Brian S. says:

Hate to see Aceves, Billings, Leroux, and Gordon start in place of prospects.

• whozat says:

They had to sign Aceves because they do not have enough sufficiently advanced starting pitcher prospect to fill out the AAA rotation. They’re not giving preference to veterans, they have a farm system that’s weak at the upper levels. Banuelos moving up from Tampa once the weather warms will help, but still…the problem is they don’t have much of use at AAA.

13. Adam says:

Does it make sense to buy a Tanaka Jersey now? Don’t you think he’ll switch to 18 after kuroda leaves? I’m leaning McCann right now.

• forensic says:

I thought about that, and actually mentioned that issue here a week or two ago. I just felt it was worth it anyway, I’m way too excited about him to not have a jersey for this year. I’ll just buy another one next year if/when he switches.

• W.B. Mason Williams says:

I say go for a classic man. I got burned after buying a Xavier Nady jersey. Loved him when they picked him up.

Now I rock the 42.

Still really hoping my Pierre-Paul jersey works out for the best…

14. forensic says:

Can’t make this stuff up, the Yankees are being no-hit by the Marlins, again! Still 3 innings to go, for what it’s worth. At least the Yankees scored thanks to a couple of errors.

15. vicki says:

tanak.

16. NCS says:

5IP, 9K for Tanaka

17. vicki says:

kelly johnson breaks the seal

18. forensic says:

Whew, Michigan (and the refs) did their best to give that game away, but thankfully they still pulled it out.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Nice gift charge call there at the end.

• forensic says:

That was a close one, could’ve gone either way, but even the announcers said that wasn’t a bad call.

I was mainly referring to the terrible call on the ball that was clearly tipped out by Tennessee and then, after review, still given to Tennessee.

19. TWTR says:

I hope that by midseason, the outlook for Banuelos, Austin, and Campos is more than a little bit better than it seems to be right now.

20. Isaac says:

Wow Montreal really needs a team again. 40k+ for two teams that really have no relation to the city, aside from Toronto being the same country. If the Nationals came and wore retro jerseys i’d assume the building would be sold out

21. Gonzo says:

Ahhh man, Trout signed an extension.