Jun

Cashman: “I expect to make moves” before the trade deadline

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Baseball’s non-waiver trade deadline is exactly six weeks from today. That really doesn’t seem so far away, does it? I still feel like the season just started. This year is flying by.

Anyway, the Yankees have more than a few needs to address in the weeks leading up to the deadline, at least if they want to remain in contention. These last two wins over the Blue Jays have moved them to within 2.5 games of the Blue Jays for the AL East lead and that’s nothing at this point of the season. You can make that up in the weekend. Contention is not some far-fetched idea.

Of course, about 25 other teams have their eyes set on the postseason as well, a product of baseball’s push for league-wide mediocrity. (I recommend this Tom Verducci article on the game’s so-called parity.) More teams want to buy and fewer teams are looking to sell. The market is all demand with little supply. Despite that, Brian Cashman expects to swing a deal these next six weeks.

“Usually when everybody’s bunched together, it constrains the ability [to complete trades],” said the GM to Ken Davidoff. “We usually make moves every year, so I expect to make moves … I feel that we do have the ability to make trades if that’s a route we so choose. How we line up with other clubs, I don’t know … but I definitely have people that are wanted within the industry. But we want those guys, too. We’ll see.”

The Yankees’ needs seem to change by the week but I think they are pretty obvious at this point. They definitely need another starting pitcher, a reliable workhorse type. CC Sabathia and Michael Pineda are not coming back anytime soon and, as good as he’s been, Chase Whitley does not give the team many innings. Vidal Nuno simply hasn’t been very good. Another starter feels like a must.

Cashman’s club can also use another infielder, especially now that Yangervis Solarte has come back to Earth. Adding a power bat for right field should also be considered as well. Ichiro Suzuki has done a fine job as a platoon player but Alfonso Soriano has been atrocious with no signs of snapping out of it. Carlos Beltran is locked into the DH spot, making right field the obvious non-infield spot to add a bat.

That’s the big stuff. A starter, an infielder, a right fielder. Every team could always use another reliever or a better bat for the bench, and the Yankees are no different. It’s entirely possible those three main needs are too much to address at one trade deadline and it’s entirely possible swinging deals for each of those spots still won’t be enough to put the team over the top. It would definitely put them in a better position, however.

As currently constructed, the Yankees are good but not really good enough. That’s just my opinion. They don’t have enough power to hang with their AL East brethren and the starting rotation is asking too much of the team’s core relievers. At some point Joe Girardi‘s going to have to take his foot off the Dellin Betances/Adam Warren gas. Cashman expects to make some moves before the deadline and that’s great. The sooner they make them, the better.

Categories : Trade Deadline

1. CountryClub says:

Whitley hasn’t given them many innings because of pitch counts. Last night was the first game I could remember that he had to struggle through 5 innings. Now that he’s up to 100 pitches, I think moving forward he’ll give them 6+ innings on most nights. The bigger issue with him is the inevitable innings cap this yr. So, I do agree that they need at least one reliable pitcher via trade.

2. Chamberlain says:

I think Jason Hammel is the most available option for Yanks.
    Maybe Mason Williams can be bait…
    I think Mason Will. will be busted…

3. I mean the Phillies are completely out of it but boy Cliff Lee would look lots of awesome on this team. I doubt the Yankees have the prospects that Philadelphia would want though… :(

• Frankie Cerveddardi says:

This stretch against division opponents was going to be the decider. If they fell 6 games back I’d say sell. They’re only one game in the loss behind the Jays now so it’s time to make a big splash like the Yankees used to do. Pick up a David Wells or a Dave Justice. Swing a deal with the Phillies for Utley/Lee.

• The Yankees don’t sell though, and they have nobody to sell outside of guys that they should keep moving forward. They could fall 10+ games behind and they would still try and compete. If last year was any indication they will almost always be buyers at the deadline.

• Wolfgang's Fault says:

That isn’t and should never be a hard and fast rule. Just like everyone else, the Yankees will be sellers in years when it makes the most sense. This may not be one of those years, but somewhere somehow & at some point, they’ll do it.

• Derek Jeter says:

… yeah because getting a David Wells or a Dave Justice is as easy as phone call, or rubbing some magic lamp. While your at it lets get Babe Ruth and Mantle back. Then we will just demand the Phillies give us Utley and Lee, just like god turned water into wine. Are you delusional.

• Wolfgang's Fault says:

Never saw Mickey completely healthy and he was still the most explosive hitter I ever saw. Can’t even imagine what #’s he’d have put up w/two healthy legs.

• MB923 says:

Now I’ll put my reply here (hopefully)

If the Phillies don’t eat any of Lee’s salary, it’s not going to take multiple top prospects to get him. He’s the highest paid pitcher in baseball this year and I believe he’ll be the 3rd highest next year. And he isn’t young as you know.

Phillies have a tough decision. Do they pay most of his salary and get top prospects in return or do they have the other team (let’s just say the Yanks as an example) eat most if not all of his salary and get not so much high talent in return.

• El Maestro says:

People forget that Lee never wanted to pitch in New York. He could have been a Yankee and always went to somewhere else by choice. So no Lee.

• JLC 776 says:

The Phillies won’t sell. They might make a trade to improve their chances that year, but they aren’t dumping Lee, Utley, Brown, etc. If they sell, RAJ probably loses his job. So it ain’t happening.

• nyyankfan_7 says:

Regardless of eating salary or trading prospects, do we really want to trade for a guy who hasn’t pitched in 5 weeks because of elbow trouble?

They need someone who can throw some innings, not someone else to add to the 60-day DL.

• I mean the move would be for this year AND next year so it is a worthwhile gamble to take, IMO.

Regardless the Yankees probably do not have the prospects to land him so it is just sort of a pipe dream at this point.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I really don’t get the Cliff Lee thing. It’s an easy name to remember because we’ve bene linked to him so many times. I’m not giving up any more than one guy with a pulse for an extended rental with injury issues.

4. Frankie Cerveddardi says:

He should already be making moves. The only question is, what’s taking so long? He should have already had another starter here to replace Vidal Nuno. Nuno is an automatic loss every 5 days. He should have signed Morales to give us some pop. Can’t count on McCann hitting a 3 run triple every game. He should have had a LOOGY here to replace Thorton. Matt Thorton’s sole job is to get out batters like Ortiz and Chris Davis and he can’t do it.

They’re right in this thing thanks to Tanaka, Chase, Delin and Solarte. I think BGDP will step up again tonight and win, which would be 2 wins over the two best offenses in baseball.

5. MB923 says:

• MB923 says:

Sorry, this was supposed to be a reply to Mark Teixeira – Ghostbuster (formerly Drew) RIP Egon

• CountryClub says:

From what I’ve read, the Phillies don’t really care about his contract…meaning they’re not looking to get from under it. They’re in no rush to trade him and only will if they get blown away by a deal.

• Reggie C. says:

which I hope means they’ll be willing to eat a lot of that contract (at least $25 million) in return for prospects. The Phillies can afford to eat the contract. They’re not a small or even mid sized market team by any stretch.

• Reggie C. says:

I think the Phillies will opt to eat significant salary in return for a couple high-end prospects. Now, do the Yankees have a couple high-end prospects above the High-A level? They surely have one in Gary Sanchez, who’s stock seems to perpetually be up and then down bc of disciplinary issues, but, that second really good prospect has eluded the organization.

• MB923 says:

They’d probably ask for Betances too.

• Kenny says:

I’d give ‘em Robertson before Betances, although I’d prefer to give up neither.

• D$1184 says:

Robertson is a free agent after this season; Betances has almost 6 full years of team control left, including 2 dirt cheap years. All things are definitely not equal.

• The Great Gonzo says:

“Phillies have a fan base and local media that won’t just allow a slow-burn Royals and Astros like descent into decade long mediocrity .”

Apparently, they’d rather go out in a great blaze of mediocrity…

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Brad Johnson at Fangraphs had a pretty great piece on this, actually.

Essentially, it makes more financial sense for large market teams like the Phillies to hover around .500 as they re-tool, rather than entering into a full-on rebuild like, say, the Astros or the Cubs.

• The Great Gonzo says:

Meh… I guess I understand. Look no further than 2013. Going for it on the chance that things break right instead of selling the farm.

But the Phillies have been BAD for almost 5 years now. At some point you have to cut bait, right?

• JLC 776 says:

Philly is already looking forward to Eagles training camp. They are fully off the Phillies’ bandwagon.

• D$1184 says:

So the 90s where they won when Curt Schilling pitched and not the rest of the week for about 5-7 years was……?

6. TWTR says:

I would fire Davidoff if he was the GM.

7. The Great Gonzo says:

I think this might be the year where you see a surprise team fire sale, so thatis not just 15 teams waiting on Theo and Amaro to swallow their pride and sell. And that brilliant GM will make an absolute killing.

My money is on the Tribe. ALOT of assets in Cleveland, I could see them moving a few of the vets and making a run at a rebuild.

• Tanuki Tanaka says:

Two years into their deal with Swisher and Bourn, plus they signed a few other young guys, so I’m not so sure about that.

• The Great Gonzo says:

So, 1.5 yrs of Swisher to trade, Masterson is a 4 month rental, Giambi could be a bench piece for a contender, Bourn has been unspectacular but teams could always use a decent CF…

I mean, its not imminent, but its not far fetched either.

8. TWTR says:

I thought the NYDN article by Harper was more optimistic because it suggests that Refsnyder and/or O’Brien might be able to contribute this year:

9. Bats says:

Whatever Axisa suggests, should be ignored. The Yankees don’t need a power bat, aka “Jason Giambi” or “Alfonso Soriano.” All Axisa looks for are homeruns and he measures run production based on the unreliable “wRC.” wRC should be used to measure non-regular players as a rationale for depth.

If the Yankees are going to spend players, they should just look for good hitters and not “power hitters.” As the past few years have explicitly showed us, power hitters disappoint (see Alfonso Soriano), but good hitters know how to hit.

• The Great Gonzo says:

OK, what do you suggest? Where are the ‘good hitters’ that are available? Since the guys blog you you just came in and shit all over is something we should not listen to?

• JLC 776 says:

Great point – the Yankees should just grab one of the many .320 hitters that are available on the market. Maybe a sub-3.00 starter to finally anchor that five-spot on the rotation.

• nyyankfan_7 says:

” As the past few years have explicitly showed us, power hitters disappoint (see Alfonso Soriano), but good hitters know how to hit.”

Yeah Soriano was a HUGE disappointment last year when he arrived in New York.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Those numbers didn’t count because they fell out of contention in September or something. Like, if you would go look at Fangraphs right now, Soriano’s Yankee stats for 2013 would just say “n/a.”

• gbyanks says:

good hitters like ellsbury? i think these last 2 years have shown that power wins games. We need 3 hit innings to score 1 run now, the last 2 years have shown that the whole “too many homers” argument is a complete joke. Old power bats are gonna be problematic but if you trade for someone like Stanton, i dont think anyone would complain

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Sucks that you’re reading his site, then.

10. Jedile says:

Guys, guys I wanna make a trade proposal.

Tampa Get:
    Gary Sanchez, Mason Williams, Peter O’Brien, Luis Severino, and PTBNL

Yankees Get:
    David Price, Ben Zobrist

Guys? hello?

• The Great Gonzo says:

I am not sure that even gets Price. That said, those two guys make this Yankees team the big fish in the AL.

• JLC 776 says:

I would love to have those guys, too. I’m with Gonzo, though. All of MLB has seen what Betances has done and will demand him plus the farm in any kind of marquee trade. Especially if it’s within the division.

• Yankeefan91 says:

would do that trade in a heart beat.

• tom says:

Yankees would do it but I won’t do it. I sense the Aceves attitude in Price. The hard stuff makes Price look an excellent pitcher so once his stuff is diminishing he may be a lesser pitcher than Sabathia.

It is okay if Yankees keep him until he becomes FA after 2015 but you know how Yankees are as they could give him a ridiculous contract some time during his stay.

Unfortunately, I always am with Yankees whether it is.

• D$1184 says:

Rays don’t make that trade.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’d do it. Not sure they would.

I’d also want an extension negotiation with Price. I’m not giving up multiple anything for an 18-month rental.

• Mike HC says:

If we did make that move I would prefer to see how Price does over the next 18 months before giving him a huge extension. And a year and half is probably getting slightly out of “rental” territory.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I realize I’m stretching the definition a bit, but I’m still rolling with it. Extended rental. Like when my ex-girlfriend rented a couch from Rent-A-Center for two years in college.

• 56 Mick says:

Worst trade proposal ever. Does anyone have any idea what they are talking about on here. This isn’t a freaking video game, man.

Great, a pitcher under contract for 1.5 years, that has reduced velocity and shown a general disdain towards the Yankees in the past and Kelly Johnson 2.0 for our top 5 prospects.

Genius.

• Mike HC says:

I would make that move. Price and Zobrist not having the best years, but I think it is worth it for that group of guys. I would guess the Rays could get a better deal elsewhere though.

11. Baked McBride says:

It’s too bad that Colorado isn’t bombing the Dodgers right now – they could have freed up Donnie to make our OTD on Sunday

12. Yankeefan91 says:

i pray the rangers become sellers and they trade Beltre to the Yankees

Gardner
    Jeter
    Ellsbury
    Texeira
    Beltre
    Beltran
    McCann
    Soriano/Ichiro
    Solarte

That lineup would be great.

13. Kosmo says:

John Mayberry Jr. OF/1B
    Aaron Hill 2B
    Gavin Floyd SP

with Sabathia due back after the all-star break that would give NY good SP depth. Nuno is shipped to Scranton and Phelps back to the BP. Release Soriano and Roberts call up Almonte let him platoon with Mayberry in RF.

14. Reggie C. says:

Betances does not hold up a deal for Cliff Lee.

He’s a great reliever for sure, but the young man is just a reliever.

• Kosmo says:

yes he does. If NY wants the 35 year old Lee they´ll have to go about without including Betances. He´s NYs 2nd most valuable pitcher. Lee is now an expensive injury risk.

• D$1184 says:

It’s Cliff Lee. He’s one of the best pitchers in baseball when he’s healthy and he’s got post season experience. A reliever is not going to be the first piece of a trade for him, not even an elite reliever. A Cliff Lee would have to start with Gary Sanchez + Betances + maybe more.

• Kosmo says:

let´s give up the farm for an aging 35 year old pitcher. Sound familiar ?

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I think more of the specific player here, though.

What was Dellin Betances worth in April? What is he worth now? That’s a hell of a potential increase in value no one was expecting.

This is just mental exercise, though. Cliff Lee can, mostly, go fuck himself.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Dellin Betances, in a vacuum, wouldn’t stop me from attempting to acquire an elite pitcher.

The question, to me, is who else goes along with him and who this elite pitcher is.

I’m not giving up multiple solid parts for a half-year, or even year and a half, rental. I’ll tough it out with who we’ve got if that’s the case.

15. The Guns of Navarone says:

The Yankees are such a dysfunctional organization, I’m scared to think about what they might do at the deadline. Mike already wrote about ways to improve this team right now without even making a trade. Brian Roberts and Alfonso Soriano need to be released now. Not tomorrow. Not after lunch. Now. Those two are replacement level or worse and quite literally have no value to this team. I’m not sure what the Yankees are waiting for…except yes I do. They’re a dysfunctional organization. Roberts can’t field, can’t turn a double play to save the world, and can barely hit. Soriano is the definition of worthless. Play Solarte at 2B until they can hopefully find an upgrade there. Kelley Johnson could finally get some playing time and add some much needed power to the lineup.

Matt Thornton is on this team because…I’m not sure why he’s on this team. His main purpose seems to be taking up a roster spot that could go to a better reliever regardless of what hand he throws with. But the Yankees aren’t ready to take that step out of the dark ages just yet, nor is the rest of baseball. The difference is the Yankees gave him a 2-year deal because he fit their requirement of being over 35 years of age.

It’s frustrating hearing Cashman talk about the trade deadline when he could take certain actions five minutes ago to improve this team. Yet they trot out players below replacement level day after day, scratch their heads and wonder.

16. tom says:

Bri Cashman better makes trade(s) before Randy Levine would swoop in and trade away prospects he likes like last year’s Corey Black.

17. New Guy says:

David Robertson and Gary Sanchez for Ryan Zimmerman. Would that be enough? Once Harper is healthy there’s no position left for Zimm.

• New Guy says:

Throw in Mason WIlliams too who cares.

• Kosmo says:

doesn´t make any sense to me. Trade a great closer to the Nats who already have a good one in Soriano. Zimmerman has an arthritic condition which makes it difficult for him to play 3B and besides all that is owed a substantial amount of money over 5-6 years.

• tom says:

Zimmerman would settle down at 1B for Nationals. Easy Call.

• D$1184 says:

Currently they have him in left field. I don’t know, he’s not as great of a trade target as he was some seasons ago.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

They’re not doing that for a guy who’ll walk at the end of the season and a solid prospect with potential makeup issues.

I’m not doing that because I’m not destabilizing my own bullpen in that manner if I’m seriously looking to compete.

18. tom says:

Out of curiosity, the package of Betances, Severino, Lail and Murphy would get us who?

19. mitch says:

i’d try to buy low on Headley

• TWTR says:

Me too. Good point.

• 56 Mick says:

The dude has 3.5 months under contract. He is not a “buy low” canditate. He a nothing candidate. The ship sailed longggg ago for the Padres. At best, they get a massively reduced package and maybe a single top 5-10 prospect, best case scenario. “Buy low” is a term used for players signed for an extended period of time and underperforming.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’d wait until the offseason and give him the “prove yourself” deal.

20. Bronx_Boy says:

To me Betances is a keeper and untouchable. Careful development of that arm could really get you something special.

And bullpen is one of the main reasons the league looks like parity is in play. I don’t know about parity in the MLB. I’m not even sure how that is being achieved so its weird to keep reading it’s happening. Parity and the Yanks spent half a billion dollars in the off-season? Really? That’s parity in action?

I think a more likely reason is clubs have fully embraced the concept of bullpens stocked with fire-breathing dragons. Starters give me 6 and over to the death squad is the norm now. The game used to be wear down the starter and get to the bullpen as soon as possible. Now . . . with all these deep bullpens?

In this new paradigm, talent like Betances becomes critical. You don’t compete unless you have guys like that trotting into play in the 7/8/9 innings.

• TWTR says:

You have to factor in his cost savings as well.

That touches on another point you raised. The more cost-controled young players they can integrate on to the roster, the more power their payroll advantage will have. That’s the reason I wouldn’t give away the farm for almost anyone.

Similarly, I’m not saying that there isn’t a trade for Betances I would accept, but it would have to be ridiculously good.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

My issue with this is that no one in their right mind would have said this in January, yet here we are.

It’s possible he’s all that and a bag of chips. It’s also possible that he’s one hell of a chip with an expiration date on it.

21. D$1184 says:

I would consider dealing Betances for Chase Utley. Utley has this year and next on his deal. If acquiring him could possibly mean a World Championship one of those years, I’d give up Betances, hard as it would be.

22. 56 Mick says:

I said it last night and I’ll say it again, Bartolo Colon makes the most sense at this moment. All it takes is a swap of Zolio Almonte and maybe a B prospect, at the most.

23. Paisa says:

I understand this notion that betances is trade bait about as little as I understand the idea that David Price is having a bad year. What non contending team has ever sought out a high leverage reliever as a return at the deadline?

Murphy Refsnyder Whitley (?) Mason Austin Manny Slade Sanchez Severino.. Those are the guys to watch

24. UWS NYY says:

Regarding parity – a few thoughts.

First, as New Yorkers, I think we take for granted that NY is a true baseball town; baseball is always relevant here, regardless of how the Yankees (or the Mets, I guess but I rarely go to Queens) are faring. It’s a part of the culture and is ingrained into everyday life. This isn’t the case elsewhere – likely the result of years of irrelevance of other locations’ hometown teams. But recent adjustments have stirred up renewed interest (and revenue) for these towns, and ultimately, greater interest in the game is better for baseball as a whole.

Second, the article’s main complaint is that there are no more juggernaut teams – but this doesn’t necessarily mean that there won’t be. The game has changed, and teams have to adjust. Someone will figure it out and win 106 games, it’s just a question of who. (hopefully it’s us)

• 56 Mick says:

I just read the ESPN article. While its nice for smaller market teams to generate higher revenues, the parity is making the sport boring. Michael Kay said it the other night; there always used to be “a king” — the team to beat. I agree. Those days when the Yanks and Braves would just decimate everyone else was awesome. Watching the Brewers go 82-80 is dumb. There is no turning back at this point, but along with the parity in the sport, the athletes themselves have seemingly taken a back seat. Pitchers are becoming injured at a much higher rate and power hitting has fallen off.

25. Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Players I want no part of: Cliff Lee (old, injury risk) and Chase Headley (overrated, will never reproduce 2012)

Players I’d like to keep but of course could be traded for the right price: John Ryan Murphy and Dellin Betances.

Hope we get a nice surprise this trade deadline.

26. mick taylor says:

if texas became sellers, what would it take to get adrian beltre

27. mick taylor says:

how about adam warren and mason williams for aaron hill and oliver perez

28. Mike HC says:

I haven’t exactly been following Price’s season that closely, but how sure are we that he is still an ace? Same goes for Lee and his injury issues. If we do trade for an ACE! it would be nice if they were actually currently pitching like one and/or not injured.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Case by case, to me.

I have far more confidence in David Price reverting to form and having several more prime-type years than I do Cliff Lee, obviously. Perhaps someone can speak to his peripherals this season a bit.

Price is a pipe dream, and I’d still want a negotiation window, but whatevs. Let’s have fun with this.

29. jgibs says:

Price, Lee, Utley?? Gimme a break. Samardzjia or Hammel are the only two pitchers I’d truly be happy to see the Yankees trade for. Well, Price too, but I’m going on the assumption that there’s no way the Rays would sell within the division.

30. Will I Am says:

OK, here is what I would do as Yankee GM.

Get rid of Kelly Johnson via trade. Put Brian Roberts on a make believe DL (regardless if he is injured).

Bring up Refsnyder and play everyday at 2nd. Bring up O’Brien and DH/1B/RF occasionally to get right handed power.

Trade B prospects for Chase Headley because that is what he is worth (Zolio Almonte fringe prospects, and maybe Austin Romine or Cervelli)

Trade B prospects for Cliff Lee and eat the contract this year and next and have Philly eat a portion of the next 2 years after. Need another Lefty for Yankee Stadium.

CC and Pineda come back with Cliff Lee, Tanaka, and Kuroda (2 lefties) Any injuries and there will be Whitley and Phelps slide in.

Infield Defense has improved with Headley and he brings more power at 3rd.

I think we have a legit shot with this team now.

Gardner
    Jeter
    Elsbury
    Texiera
    McCann
    Beltran/Soriano/OBrien/Suzuki RF/DH
    Headley
    Refsnyder

Buttttt I am not the GM nor am I smart enough to pretend I could be……………

• ChuckIt says:

Your right.Thats why your not a G.M. What could you possibly get for Johnson? Almonte is hardly a fringe prospect.OBrien isnot ready for a steady diet of major league pitching.and if Headly is only worth fringe prospects,what the hell do we need him for?
      WAiiiit-I’m sorry,you could be a MLB G.M.,the MEts should have an opening soon.Your a perfect fit.

31. O Captain, My Captain says:

Do not be surprised if Tulowitzki’s name comes up very soon. The Yanks have been very interested in him, and of course, we know that he worships Jeter.

Now could be the time to pull the trigger on a deal, as he is in the final year of his contract and would love to play for us. Could he play third while the Captain does his retirement tour of duty? I do not know, it’s not an easy transition- but having watched Jeter twice this year from field level seats, I can see that he is beginning to slow down defensively.Perhaps his greatest gesture would be a slide to third if Tulo was to come to the Bronx.