The Yankees are at home tonight to take on the Orioles and you’re going to have to follow on Gameday. Luis Cessa is making the spot start because the Yankees don’t want the O’s to see one of their regular starters so late in Spring Training. I’ve always thought that’s kinda silly — the other night the Yankees hid CC Sabathia from the Rays yet used all their “A” relievers in the game — but whatever. Here are the rest of the day’s notes from Tampa:
- Update: Tyler Austin, Gio Gallegos, Ben Heller, and Billy McKinney were all optioned down, the Yankees announced tonight. That leaves Cessa, Domingo German, and Jonathan Holder as candidates for the eighth reliever spot among 40-man roster players. The Yankees are down to 39 players in big league camp.
- The Yankees should have their Opening Day roster finalized by the end of the day Saturday, said Aaron Boone. We know Tyler Wade is making the team and chances are Chasen Shreve will as well, so the only roster spot still open is Jacoby Ellsbury’s. The Yankees have talked about using it for an eighth reliever. [Bryan Hoch]
- Speaking of Ellsbury, he took batting practice again today and is scheduled to go on the road trip tomorrow. Clint Frazier (concussion) is doing better. “It’s going to be baby steps,” said Boone. Here are the day’s minor league lineups and workout groups. Again, don’t get too caught up in who is playing where. The kids are scattered at all different levels in the spring. [Erik Boland, Billy Witz]
- To help deal with the new mound visit rules, the Yankees may have their catchers wear wristbands with different sign sequences this year. The Indians and I think the Dodgers did this last year. Other teams have played around with it this spring. “It’s definitely helpful,” said Gary Sanchez. Interesting! [Dan Martin]
- The Yankees will be on the road to take on Twins tomorrow afternoon. Thankfully, the game will be televised. These last three days without televised games stunk. Jordan Montgomery is the scheduled starter. Ellsbury, Wade, Brandon Drury, Austin Romine, and Ronald Torreyes are making the trip. [Boland]
This is the open thread for the night. The Knicks and Nets are playing and MLB Network is replaying games throughout the evening. Talk about those games, the Yankees and Orioles, or anything that isn’t religion or politics here. Have at it.