Over in Orlando, the Yankees beat the Braves 8-3. Gleyber Torres had the game-tying single and Billy McKinney had the go-ahead single in the six-run ninth. Aaron Hicks cranked a two-run home run and a double. Luis Severino started and allowed two runs in five innings. He struck out seven. Here are the box score and video highlights for that game. Now here is the rest of the day’s news from camp.
- Greg Bird was scratched from this afternoon’s road game with soreness in his right foot. He had an “initial exam” in Tampa and will go for an MRI and a CT scan, the Yankees announced. Bird had surgery on his right ankle last year. Fingers crossed. At least he’s not trying to play hurt again.
- Brandon Drury (elbow) hopes to play tomorrow after being hit by a pitch yesterday. He expects to play Opening Day. Drury said he will start wearing an elbow guard even though he finds them uncomfortable. “I couldn’t squeeze my hand at the time. It was just numb, so I needed to come in and get some ice on it,” Drury said of the initial pain. [Coley Harvey, Billy Witz]
- Clint Frazer (concussion) has resumed baseball activities but has not yet been cleared to play in games. Thairo Estrada (gunshot) and Albert Abreu (appendectomy) are on the mend but not yet ready to play in games. I guess that means they’ll start the minor league season on the DL. [Witz]
- In case you missed it earlier, the Opening Day roster is basically set, though I guess it could change depending on Bird’s injury. Jonathan Holder is the eighth reliever. Domingo German was optioned down and will work as a starter in Triple-A. I count 36 players still in big league camp.
- Here are the day’s minor league lineups. Brian Cashman said Andujar will be on an “80-20” plan in Triple-A, meaning 80% of his games at third and 20% at first. [Erik Boland, Conor Foley]
- The Yankees will play their final Grapefruit League game tomorrow. They’ll be on the road to face the Rays. The game will be televised. Brian Keller is listed as the scheduled starter.
Here is the nightly open thread. If you’re interested, tonight’s road game against the Braves will be replayed on MLB Network (7pm ET). The three local hockey teams are playing tonight and there’s also March Madness. Talk about anything except religion or politics right here. Thanks in advance.